Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Wow, that is a good story, but too many people die!!!!!!!!!!!

I think there could be a chance that dumbledore dies in the 6th or 7th edition, but his dying will have some greater good given to Harry and the Order

ReputationRep:
    yeah, i think what u said about dumbledore is right. Alot of people do die in that post, but i think if JKR is going to tell us what happens to everyone after hogwarts(i hope she does) she needs to "do in" some more charactors. Also i think some charactor we become really attached to dies. Although it soundes crazy, i think the dark side will win and kill harry becuase a " harry killed voldemort and all the death eaters are arrested or killed and harry lives happily ever after" ending would not really work. Just a hunch though

Originally posted by Unregistered
    Has no one considered the mere fact that neville wasn't the one spoken about in the prophecy for the mere fact that, um I don't know, his name wasn't on it. Wouldn't it be obvious that if it was talking about him it would have his name instead of harry's. I mean come on! Isn't that obvious! They said that if anyone tried to get the prophecy and it wasn't meant for them that they would be driven into insanity. I know that there was a question mark next to harry's name, but if they seriously thought that it could be neville wouldn't his name be on it to. And since it wasn't, neville can't fight voldemort if he is insane now can he.
    And by the way, as far as the first two posts on page five, I couldn't have said it better myself.
    read a little closer there buddy. the way the prophecies get marked is not by an ancient magic. the names get there after the prophecy is spoken and interpreted. the reason harries name is on it is because the people who interpreted it THOUGHT that it was harry and not neville. it is equally possible that either one of them is the one the prophecy is about. the name on the prophecy is only a reflection of the way others interpreted it.

ReputationRep:
    I think Harry will turn out to be a little more sorrowful for his actions throughout the last book. He was quite childish, I think he will mature a bit and not have such a victim mentality.

In doing this, He will probably endup getting headstrong and go after Voldemort like I read someone earlier reply, he will lose but escape again. In doing so, someone close to him will die by voldemort.

I think we may see alot more mind meddeling in the next book between voldemort and harry, and by the 7th book harry will be able to perform occulmecy (spelling??) very well and overpower voldemort in this area, maybe this is one way to help him get closer to defeating him.

I think that the way Harry will defeat Voldemort is through the true power that his mother gave him, that voldemort hates most. Love!

Im excited to see the 3rd movie but very disappointed about it not coming out until November 2004, I think the movies will be ruined if they have to change out characters towards the end.

ReputationRep:
    Originally posted by Unregistered
    read a little closer there buddy. the way the prophecies get marked is not by an ancient magic. the names get there after the prophecy is spoken and interpreted. the reason harries name is on it is because the people who interpreted it THOUGHT that it was harry and not neville. it is equally possible that either one of them is the one the prophecy is about. the name on the prophecy is only a reflection of the way others interpreted it.
    Another thing to think about. It also said that the one will be marked from their first meeting. Harry carries the mark not Neville.

ReputationRep:
    I dunno if the dual between Dumbledore and Voldemort will be the last one. Maybe there will be one more, or Dumbledore will save Harry. Guys what is the fate which Dumbledore talked about which is worse than death? Is love the thing that conquers all, including Voldemort? Will Godric Gryffindor play a greater part, as in will his sword or something help to destroy Voldie, or will this not happen, as J K Rowling has already used this before. I doubt that the time turner can be used. With the number of people present in the room, every single one of them could go mad, and then it wouldn't be worth saving Sirius, if you lose everyone else. Do you still reckon that Hagrid might die. I mean, the two closest people left to Harry, apart from the Weasleys are Hagrid and Lupin, so one of them has to survive, right?

ReputationRep:
    In the end, Voldemort made the descision as to who he marked, soory as he thought would be killed and for the good of everyone else, maybe it was the right descision. I mean I still think that Harry is a more powerful wizard than Neville, and will have a greater chance in killing Voldemort. in the end the prophecy was down to Voldemort, and it's his fault that Harry was chosen.

ReputationRep:
    Voldemort did not know that he would leave just a mark, he thought he was going to kill harry, so the prophecy in saying that the one will be marked, then has to be Harry cause it was done unbeknownced to anyone, except for dumbledore of course.

ReputationRep:
    Replying to the post marked by unregistered, Dumbledore said the name on the prophecy was switched to Harry after Voldemort attacked him as a baby. And I doubt the veil is a portkey because, Harry and Luna could both hear voices behind it. I wonder what would happen if you lifted the veil up to look behind it? I'm also thinking that Fawkes is a big part of the Order because it's called the Order of the Phoenix. I'm also wondering if Dumbledore could be an Animagus, because it keeps talking about his long crooked nose and his moon-shaped spectacles. It mentions them all the time in the books. It also seemed that in book 5 that Aunt Petunia was keeping something from us(besides the Howler sent by Dumbledore) when she said what Dementors were it sounded like she knew a lot more than that. And about Krecher being at the headquarters I think they're going to have to behead him or something(as said by Sirius who said they used to behead all of the old house-elves) because they can't have him around and giving information to the Malfoys. I heard that a very very small part of the second book will play a big role in the 6th book, and that the last word in the 7th book will be scar or scars, as said by Rowling herself in an interview.

Sorry for the really long post.

ReputationRep:
    I like the idea of the veil being a portkey, the book practicly tells you what it can do. This veil has something to do with the dead, perhapes communacting with them. The reason i think this is because when harry talks to luna when everybody is at the end of term fest, he asks her if she saw someone die. She says " yes my mother. She was a extraordinary witch, you know, but she did like to experiment and one of her spells went rather badly wrong. I was nine". A few lines later she says "And anyway, it's not like i'll never see mum agian, is it?" Harry is puzzled, then luna says" Oh, come on. You heard them, just behind the veil, didn't you"
    "you mean..."
    " In that room with the archway. They were lurking out of sight, thats all. You heard them"
    So Maybe harry will be able to talk to sirius after all!
    Or maybe Luna is wrong
    Or maybe JKR is leading up to something totally different...

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone noticed how the Marauders are like the beatles? Is anyone here a beatles fan? I will explain how they are alike if someone says they are a beatles fan, but if no body is then I won't bother because then you won't understand what I'm talking about.

ReputationRep:
    They were a little before my time...but I know many of their songs and a little about them...

Do tell...it will irritate me otherwise!

ReputationRep:
    Okay Here goes...

#1 similarity: 4 members in each group, lol

James Potter&John Lennon=both head of their groups, both murdered rather young in life.

George Harrison&Sirius Black=Sirius died in the Department of Mysteries and nobody is sure where George died so that's like a mystery as well.

Paul McCartney&Peter Pettigrew=both assumed dead for a number of years.

Ringo Star&Remus Lupin=Both became seriously ill at a young age.

Well that's all the similarities I know, but tell if you know any more.

Some people thought Pettigrew and Ringo because Ringo wasn't as popular, and then Lupin and McCartney because they are the only known survivors of their group.

ReputationRep:
    When i was looking over all the book 5 rumors, i found many lists of the people that fans tought would die, but as i recall, not a single one included Sirius. Lets Take a poll: Who thought Sirius was going to be the one to die?

ReputationRep:
    Not me until I got to near when it happened in the book...but then I didn't make a solid guess prior to reading it as I knew it would prob be unpredictable...

ReputationRep:
    If you start up a new poll, then any people who don't know who the person is who is gonna die will find out, and that isn't fair on everyone else.
    Well anyway, i for one hadn't a clue that Sirius would die. I thought Hagrid would be the one. Harry needed Sirius too much. I don't know, I always figured that Sirius and Lupin would be there right till the end, and that at the end Harry would go live with them. I like my happy endings. Sirius never crossed my mind as the person for the chop; never thought that J K Rowling would imagine doing so. No wonder killing him off made her cry.
    Actually though, when I was reading through the book, I always thought that Sirius was being too rash, and that he might do something stupid, and I had my suspicions that he would go off and get himself killed. Never thought he'd die that way though.

ReputationRep:
    When I heard that a central key character would die, My first thought did go to sirius because he was made key in the last couple of books. I figured it too early for ron, hermonie or dumbledore to die, and too much in our favor for a dursley to die, so I decided with great regret it must be sirius.

When I started reading the book though, my thoughts ran to Hagrid and Mr. Weasley. It dawned on me again when Sirius almost got caught by umbridge in the fire, and then it came out he was seen at the hogwarts express.

but I thought it would be o.k. when i had gotten so far in the novel until harry had the dream that sirius was caught by voldemort. I was very suprised in the way he died though, I cant believe lestrange outwitted him and it was most disappointing.

i know your theory is possible, but the prophecy said harrys namemon it, and i dont really understand that whole neville/ vold. parent thing, but Harry DOES have "powers the dark lord knows not". Remember what his mother did for him??? Acient magic saved Harry from the killing curse/vold. Vold. would have NEVER attacked harry if he knew what would happen. He didnt know about those "powers" and as whoever said it i forget who did... that magic that saved him is still in his blood, and it may be considered his "powers". That will explain the whole "he will be marked as an equal" the scar + harrys parents were killed by Vold. too "he will have powers the dark lord knows not" now unless i am mistaken vold. would not have attacked if he knew what the hell was comming!!! Sorry about the language just got too much into it! But i will keep in mind what u said while reading HP 6+7...
    For all i know, or anyone else, besides JKR, u may be right. I just thought id tell u what i thought.
    -Evan D.

sorry about that was reading page one! Go to the bottom of page one and read what Unregestered said i just thought he was the most recent well im rambling so just tell me if u think i am correct in saying what i have.

Thanks
    Evan D.

(Original post by lavender)
    Another thing to think about. It also said that the one will be marked from their first meeting. Harry carries the mark not Neville.
    Also somthing that none of u have mentioned, harry was the one who took it off the shelf ( the prophecy) so..... it obviously was his prophecy, duh! lol

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.