Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magic101)
    now i really want to know.
    Don't let the suspense get to you now!

ReputationRep:
    i mean i cant even think what RoR could stand for. hmm...this is a tough one...hmmm. now i really want to know.
    RoR aka Room of Requirement

ReputationRep:
    Petunia can't be a squib. it says in one of the books (cant remember which one it was, maybe book 2...hmmm...) anyways it says that a squib is someone who has magical parents/family but is nonmagical themselves. it said that peeves was a squib, that's why he had the quikspell course in his desk. so Petunia can't be a squib because she had muggle parents as we know because Lily was a mudblood.
    She might have chosen to be non-magical but i dont think so because in book 1 she said her parents were so proud when Lily got her letter from Hogwarts. so wouldn't Petunia want her parents to be proud of her and decide to go to Hogwarts too? i just dont think that she chose to be non-magical.
    Does it say anywhere that both of Lily and Petunia's parents were Muggle. One of them could have been a wizard or maybe even part. How did they know enough about Hogwart's to be excited about Lily getting admitted?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kcoverst)
    RoR aka Room of Requirement
    Exactly. Thanks kcoverst. And sorry guys. I figured since I had just said it and plus I've also seen others use it (maybe not here?) you could woud know what it meant.

ReputationRep:
    Does it say anywhere that both of Lily and Petunia's parents were Muggle. One of them could have been a wizard or maybe even part. How did they know enough about Hogwart's to be excited about Lily getting admitted?
    I don't have the book to quote it, but I know time and time again we've been told she was "muggle-born" so I'd just assume that meant both parents. (Plus, she's also been called "mudblood" and isn't that when both parents are muggle instead of "half-blood" meaning 1?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngieKins)
    Haha, it's ok. I think we all understood what you meant.

Anyways, does anyone remember when that RoR thing came up with Dumbledore? I'm all curious now....
    Dumbledore found the room of requirement in book 4, he mentions it to Harry at the Yule Ball

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngieKins)
    Do we have any indication of when 6 is coming out? I know it won't be soon as she only started writing it not too long ago, I just pray that we don't have to wait 3 years (wasn't 4 out in 2000 and 5 out in 2003?) for 6!! I may have to kill myself. I've been lucky so far that I've never had to wait for any books. I was a slow started and only started reading them shortly after 5 came out (my friend tried to convince me back in 1999/2000 to read them when she was, but I said I wouldn't like them and thought they looked stupid *hangs head in shame*). Someone said something about Nov '04 (could be?) but isn't that the date of the PoA movie? (I heard it was pushed back from summer to Nov, anyone else heard this?)
    I heard that it's gonna be released after the PoA movie.

ReputationRep:
    I sometimes wish I had waited until all seven were out before picking up the first one. The suspense is killing me. I am so glad I found this sight I didn't have anyone to talk to about HP before. Except my nine year old and he likes the books but he just isn't into talking about them.

I can't wait til next year. I'll get the book and read it all in a couple of days then I'll have to wait another year.

ReputationRep:
    I guess it ran in one of their families, and Lily's parents must've have heard of it. Just like in real life, some of the traits of a person may not be found in their parents because the trait skipped or something. It could be that the Evans actually are wizards. It just so happened that it skipped a few generations.

ReputationRep:
    Nah- if you had waited for the whole series you'd have had it all spoiled for you by the time you picked up the first book.

And, although we're all eagerly anticipating the next release, it's nice to be able to talk over, pick apart and make predictions of the series during the wait.

ReputationRep:
    Check this sight out. Everyone probably has already seen this sight but I just found it. It's on Mugglenet.

http://www.mugglenet.com/editorials/...wer/nt01.shtml

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    Nah- if you had waited for the whole series you'd have had it all spoiled for you by the time you picked up the first book.

And, although we're all eagerly anticipating the next release, it's nice to be able to talk over, pick apart and make predictions of the series during the wait.
    Yes, but if I had never read the books I wouldn't have know what all the hype was about and would never have found this wonderful sight and all the great people I've met (except for the HP beaters). I am so glad I couldn't resist the pull even though I have to wait. I can't wait to see who on this sight gets their copy first and who finishes reading it first.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but if I had never read the books I wouldn't have know what all the hype was about and would never have found this wonderful sight and all the great people I've met (except for the HP beaters). I am so glad I couldn't resist the pull even though I have to wait. I can't wait to see who on this sight gets their copy first and who finishes reading it first.
    I'm telling you now, I'm gonna be the last to read it even though I could purchase it the day it get's released it will take me 2 months to read it coz i can't find the time to do so.

ReputationRep:
    Midnight at Ottakers again I should think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    Midnight at Ottakers again I should think
    As much as I would love to experience standing outside of a bookstore all night with a bunch of other lunatics. I will not be able to bcs being the MOM (mean ole mother) that I am I will not do this with three children in tow and I also don't know any other adult who would like to share this experience with me. The adults I know that have read HP books are a little less involved then I am.

ReputationRep:
    Reread the Room of Requirement part in Book 5- Harry also made the connection that the room of chamber pots Dumbledore mentioned was really the room of requirement- thats why Hermione was ok with it, remember?

now, me, I'm a little disturbed he got chamber pots instead of a toilet..... maybe this has something to do with his age- but still- ewww

ReputationRep:
    oops- sorry- I should catch up before I post-

I wont be waiting all night- you should have SEEN the lines here at the last release- but there is a B&N half a block from me, so I'll be the first one when they open the next morning! Last time I read it in under 24 hours- I had a long train ride (a fitting way to read it if you ever get the chance) and then I got home and kept plowing through- by Sunday night I started my second reading-

The November 2004 idea was mine- sorry if I deluded anyone into thinking I had any proof- its just my personal guess- the movie is out in the summer, not the fall- they already finished shooting it and are editing now- if they got their act together they could probably get it out sooner- but June is one of those prime "release" months- I'm hoping they try to make the Christmas rush next year with the book- if not, I'm thinking June 2005.......

ReputationRep:
    Beware. I've been encountering more HP-haters in this forum! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladyblitzer)
    Beware. I've been encountering more HP-haters in this forum! :eek:
    tehee i hate HP

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    As we all know I'm nuts about research

Apparently "Aberforth" is another name for "Edinburgh"? Does anyone have a scottish history book? Also, Aberforth may or may not be the last name of a curator working there right now? Anyone live in the area? Have any idea of where too look up any famous Aberforths from Edinburgh? Maybe its a particular family or something?

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.