Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    HAppy Halloween to you as well.

(Original post by Xenon)
    Fred and George cannot play in the school's quidditch team, unless they decide to retake their last year at school. They left, and even if they hadn't they would have left school after book 5. I reckon that during the summer, they are busy making their joke shop, and maybe joining the Order.
    Would Fleur ever be the defence of the dark arts teacher? I seriously doubt it, I mean she wasn't exactly the best competitor in the tri-wizard tournament in book 4. Harry would make a much better teacher. But I hope that one of the order becomes the teacher. I hope that Lupin does come back, cos he was the best teacher by far. But as he's already been the DADA teacher once, I do reckon Snape might be the next one. I'm thinking, if Snape became the DADA teacher, he might as well wear a sign in front of Voldemort saying "I am a spy". By being a teacher for fighting against the dark arts, Voldemort would surely find out, and maybe discover that Snape isn't that loyal. Not sure though, did it actually say in book 5 that Snape was actually a spy?
    Fred and George are the Bill Gates varieties. Where they drop out of school and make it big in life...

Wait for them to become billionaires (Galleonaires!)...

ReputationRep:
    My sister had her 17th on Tuesday and did a fancy dress dinner with 15 or so friends. She'd given them all a character to come as from various films and most of them had put in a fantastic effort.
    My sister was Captain Jack Sparrow, we had a Harry and a Draco from HP and a range of amusingly dressed characters but I think it'd be hard to beat the boy who came as a Teenage Mutant Hero Turtle- (borrowed our costume) complete with green tights etc. Great fun.

ReputationRep:
    Mr. Weasley also said someplace else that lots of wizards dont like to Apparate because its tricky- remember they talked about "splinching" yourself? Where you leave half your body behind? Even Dumbledore uses slower methods- Hagrid said something about it once- that Dumbledore uses thestrals when he doesn't want to fly on his broomstick-

I guess the hand of glory thing that interested me was the whole scene where Draco touches it and the store owner (Mr. Borgin?) says it is the best friend of thieves and plunderers, it gives light only to the holder, and I htink it has another power too- and Lucius says "I hope my son shall amount to more than a thief of plunderer"- I just wondered if the whole thing was foreshadowing or setting up anything- otherwise the whole scene seems kind of tossed in there-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brooklyn)
    Mr. Weasley also said someplace else that lots of wizards dont like to Apparate because its tricky- remember they talked about "splinching" yourself? Where you leave half your body behind? Even Dumbledore uses slower methods- Hagrid said something about it once- that Dumbledore uses thestrals when he doesn't want to fly on his broomstick-

I guess the hand of glory thing that interested me was the whole scene where Draco touches it and the store owner (Mr. Borgin?) says it is the best friend of thieves and plunderers, it gives light only to the holder, and I htink it has another power too- and Lucius says "I hope my son shall amount to more than a thief of plunderer"- I just wondered if the whole thing was foreshadowing or setting up anything- otherwise the whole scene seems kind of tossed in there-
    Remember in COS where Malfoy took something that was lying on a table in the Slytherin common room and put it in his pocket after he asked Crabbe/Harry and Goyle/Ron (don't remember which was which) if it was theirs. I could certainly see Malfoy as a thief. You know what they say about honor amongst thieves (there is none). Malfoy is a big talker but I bet if he was confronted with true evil he would turn tail and run. He is sneaky and will look out for himself first. I started re-reading COS last night and read the part about the hand. I got the impression that Lucious is really hard on Malfoy. Even in GOF Malfoy said that his father wanted him to go to Durmstrangs but his mom didn't want him to that far away. I think that Malfoy didn't want to go either but he didn't want anyone to know that. I think Malfoy is a mammas boy and he is afraid of his father.

ReputationRep:
    you have a really good point. Malfoy is a thief but a coward as well

ReputationRep:
    Remember how Draco was in the Forbidden Forest- wuss- can tell he isn't Gryffindor-

I wonder HOW Dumbledore got that scar on his knee of the London Underground- maybe when he fought that other dark wizard-

There was some HP fan fic (I usually try not to read it normally but this one was interesting) that said that Dumbledore was best friends with Harry's great grandfather or something and that's why he has a thing for hte Potters- like he swore to protect them with his life- kind of makes a little more sense than the secretly related thing doesn't it?

ReputationRep:
    I wonder HOW Dumbledore got that scar on his knee of the London Underground- maybe when he fought that other dark wizard- ?
    I never thought about that, but you know? it makes sense.

There was some HP fan fic (I usually try not to read it normally but this one was interesting) that said that Dumbledore was best friends with Harry's great grandfather or something and that's why he has a thing for hte Potters- like he swore to protect them with his life- kind of makes a little more sense than the secretly related thing doesn't it?
    Yes, it does, Dumbledore is really old and a lot of people from the magical community seem to know each other, so maybe they went to Hogwarts together.

(Original post by Golz)
    you have a really good point. Malfoy is a thief but a coward as well
    We don´t really know if Malfoy is as thief, i mean He stole a few things in the movie, but there´s nothing about that in the books.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leroylina)

Yes, it does, Dumbledore is really old and a lot of people from the magical community seem to know each other, so maybe they went to Hogwarts together.

We don´t really know if Malfoy is as thief, i mean He stole a few things in the movie, but there´s nothing about that in the books.
    He just reminds me of a sneaky little mouse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leroylina)

actually you're right. It doesnt say that he takes that little box in The Chamber of Secrets

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladyblitzer)
    Weekend again... I shall be gone. Don't post too much!

Oh, and Happy Halloween to all anyone gonna dress up as Harry Potter? :P
    You too, I got my son to dress up like Harry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cleo812)
    You too, I got my son to dress up like Harry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:
    My son dressed like Harry last year. A friend of mine works for a video store and when the movie came out they had to dress up with wizard hats and HP glasses. She gave them to us when she was done with them.

ReputationRep:
    Why do so many American adults come on a UK student forum?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    I don't know that they are all American?

ReputationRep:
    I didn't know this sight was racial?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kcoverst)
    I didn't know this sight was racial?
    Site, and not racist, but if I was to go on a USA Adults forum, I would be considered an oddity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    I don't know that they are all American?
    They have states as their location.

ReputationRep:
    Site, and not racist, but if I was to go on a USA Adults forum, I would be considered an oddity.
    Meh!

If they enjoy coming on and contribute positively then it really doesn't matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    Meh!

If they enjoy coming on and contribute positively then it really doesn't matter.
    Thank you Egan1. Lord whatsy should learn some manners.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kcoverst)
    Thank you Egan1. Lord whatsy should learn some manners.
    This hurts all the more coming from an American.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.