Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    I think the final chapter stuff is just a rumor i mean she can't have planned everything out in advance
    yay, finally read the posts I've missed! niweyz, the final chapter is in fact done already. JK mentioned it in more than 1 interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Golz)
    i think hell die of old age

or everyone will die of old age in the far future
    What exactly is "old" in witches and wizards? Because Dumbledore is a 100+ already, and he certainly ain't dead yet.

(Original post by CR3)
    yea...i was wondering any thoughts on ron....possible gay?

CR
    Then how come Ron carries a crush on this part Veela character Fleur??? I do not think so. plus the fact that HP is primarily a kid book.
    GK1

ReputationRep:
    plus also the fact that harry and ron actually scout for partners for the ball dance thingy.

GK1

ReputationRep:
    and ron doesn't seem like the possible gay person in the family... maybe percy. and quidditch doesn't seem like the sport a gay would be in.

ReputationRep:
    ahh- the things I miss over the weekend- was painful going through those kiddie "bored" posts- but back to HP

Yes- JK said many times she already wrote the last chapter of Book 7- she said it lets her know every time she has writers block that she will eventually finish- of course she also backs it up saying that she may change it all if she wants to, but also that she hasn't as of yet- her daughter and husband are not allowed to read it-

I dont know if I buy the "not in the movie, not important in the book" theory- there are so many little plotlines spinning around- they may be important in the book but not be included in the movie- if you wanted to pick at it, you could figure out exactly what was left out of the first two and trace them- plus look at all the deleted scenes-

KCoverst- I saw the "I love Snape" sites too- they are kind of croddy- Alan Rickman never does play a loveable guy, does he?

The DADA teacher is always someone knew we haven't heard of- if Snape gets it, it wouldn't be until Book 7- but I dont think he'll ever get it- I think he'll die defending Harry- but no fact for that, just my own imaginings Lets see- they've had...
    1. Quirrel- DADA expert- possesed by Vold
    2. Lockhart- Famous for being a DADA expert- actually a fraud
    3. Lupin- DADA expert- werewolf- shunned by the community
    4. Moody- DADA expert- actually a Deatheater in diguise
    5. Umbridge- Ministry of Magic - knows nothing about DADA

so I'm guessing 6 and 7 will be back to DADA experts, but still wont be good teachers- Harry is challenged more each year- so its just going ot get harder, not easier-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brooklyn)
    ahh- the things I miss over the weekend- was painful going through those kiddie "bored" posts- but back to HP

Yes- JK said many times she already wrote the last chapter of Book 7- she said it lets her know every time she has writers block that she will eventually finish- of course she also backs it up saying that she may change it all if she wants to, but also that she hasn't as of yet- her daughter and husband are not allowed to read it-

I dont know if I buy the "not in the movie, not important in the book" theory- there are so many little plotlines spinning around- they may be important in the book but not be included in the movie- if you wanted to pick at it, you could figure out exactly what was left out of the first two and trace them- plus look at all the deleted scenes-

KCoverst- I saw the "I love Snape" sites too- they are kind of croddy- Alan Rickman never does play a loveable guy, does he?

The DADA teacher is always someone knew we haven't heard of- if Snape gets it, it wouldn't be until Book 7- but I dont think he'll ever get it- I think he'll die defending Harry- but no fact for that, just my own imaginings Lets see- they've had...
    1. Quirrel- DADA expert- possesed by Vold
    2. Lockhart- Famous for being a DADA expert- actually a fraud
    3. Lupin- DADA expert- werewolf- shunned by the community
    4. Moody- DADA expert- actually a Deatheater in diguise
    5. Umbridge- Ministry of Magic - knows nothing about DADA

so I'm guessing 6 and 7 will be back to DADA experts, but still wont be good teachers- Harry is challenged more each year- so its just going ot get harder, not easier-
    but we don't exactly know what Snape knows about DADA. Maybe he is in fact an expert at it. As a former death eater, I think that he should know what spells/jinxes/hexes are strong and weak against death eaters, don't you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladyblitzer)
    but we don't exactly know what Snape knows about DADA. Maybe he is in fact an expert at it. As a former death eater, I think that he should know what spells/jinxes/hexes are strong and weak against death eaters, don't you think?
    You know something has been bothering me. In the first book the first thing that is said about Snape is that he wants the DADA position and it keeps being said in every book, but what if Snape doesn't want the position or knows that he won't get it. It could just be a rumor that was started by the students and it just hasn't died yet. You know how people are they like to gossip even students. I know Umbridge asked him about the DADA position when she interviewed him but I can't remember what he said to her and I don't have my book with me.

I just don't think he will ever be DADA teacher at least not while Harry is a student. I think Dumbledore knows that he would not be the best teacher until after Harry is out of school because of his dislike of Harry. I also think that Snape will be seriously injured saving Harry's life but I really don't want him to die. I'm not fond of him but I feel sorry for him and would like for him to become a friendlier character.

ReputationRep:
    i would say that harry potter and phillip pullmans golden compass trilogy are the best. Funny how they both live in England...
    I'm not overly keen on Pullman, though perhaps I should reread it now I'm a bit older.
    I've always reall liked Diana Wynne Jones' books. My mum has always liked her and I grew up having them read to me and am still happily go back and reread them every so often. They're not really children's books, well, many aren't...*has forgotten what she was saying*...
    Anyway -my point was going to be- She's English aswell
    Remember that part where Bode tries to break into the ministry? I forgot why he did that.... Was he told to or was there "foul play" involved?
    I think it said Malfoy had him under the imperious curse. Then when he was recovering from being scrambled they basically killed him with Devil's Snare.

We haven't seen much of Xenon lately.....
    Busy at University perhaps. I'm sure she'll check in with us soon enough -She might not have a computer/net connection in her accomodation.

(Original post by kcoverst)
    You know something has been bothering me. In the first book the first thing that is said about Snape is that he wants the DADA position and it keeps being said in every book, but what if Snape doesn't want the position or knows that he won't get it. It could just be a rumor that was started by the students and it just hasn't died yet. You know how people are they like to gossip even students. I know Umbridge asked him about the DADA position when she interviewed him but I can't remember what he said to her and I don't have my book with me.
    Snape admitted he'd applied for DADA job every year since somewhen when asked, and then Umbridge asked him if he knew why Dumbledore has repeatedly rejected him and he said 'Clearly not' or something to that effect. So he has been applying and failing anually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    Snape admitted he'd applied for DADA job every year since somewhen when asked, and then Umbridge asked him if he knew why Dumbledore has repeatedly rejected him and he said 'Clearly not' or something to that effect. So he has been applying and failing anually.
    Ack. Why can't Snape get the job!?!? Well, at least we know he's better than Lockhart (duel) and Umbridge (obviously. the Toad woman knows nothing!). And I think that he can't do anything if Harry is really good in DADA.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. Now I remember. So I guess it's not a rumor. Oh well, I still don't think he will get the position.

When Bode was given the plant, why didn't anyone notice that it was Devil's Snare. I mean isn't that the plant that was in the first book when Harry, Ron and Hermione went through the trap door? They were at the hospital when he got the plant. Neville was even there and he is really good at Herbology, but I can understand why he didn't notice it, he had other things on his mind. Was there a charm on it to make it look like something else because the Nurse even held it and looked at it.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. Now I remember. So I guess it's not a rumor. Oh well, I still don't think he will get the position.

When Bode was given the plant, why didn't anyone notice that it was Devil's Snare. I mean isn't that the plant that was in the first book when Harry, Ron and Hermione went through the trap door? They were at the hospital when he got the plant. Neville was even there and he is really good at Herbology, but I can understand why he didn't notice it, he had other things on his mind. Was there a charm on it to make it look like something else because the Nurse even held it and looked at it.
    Ack, don't have my book with me. But I think it did look like something else. Or maybe it didn't seem like Devil's Snare that time because there were lights.

ReputationRep:
    Ack, don't have my book with me. But I think it did look like something else. Or maybe it didn't seem like Devil's Snare that time because there were lights.
    That could be it. They really should come out with a pocket sized set of books for those of us who would like to carry them around everywhere with us when we suddenly need to reference something. I think of this stuff at the oddest times and in the oddest places.

ReputationRep:
    I think it was Hermione- someone said they didn't catch it because who would expect someone to give a nice potted plant of Devil's Snare with a bow and everything- plus it was a small clipping- Probably looked like something else-

considering how much they were talking about "healers" in the last book, maybe the new DADA teacher will be one of them? maybe the one who was fired?

ReputationRep:
    Well it was diguised as a pot plant -and as I believe Ron says later on- who would be expecting it to be something unusual? They just didn't really pay it much attention -it's not like they didn't have other things to distract them; Lockheart and Nevilles appearance (and revelations) would be more than enough to keep them occupied. I doubt there'd be much to differenciate the Devil's Snare really -it's not like it had little horns and a spiky tail growing out of it

ReputationRep:
    That could be it. They really should come out with a pocket sized set of books for those of us who would like to carry them around everywhere with us when we suddenly need to reference something. I think of this stuff at the oddest times and in the oddest places.
    yeah! you know those little dictionaries and bibles? about the size of a fourth of a diskette? they should make some HP books like that. but we're gonna have a hard time looking for stuff, though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brooklyn)
    I think it was Hermione- someone said they didn't catch it because who would expect someone to give a nice potted plant of Devil's Snare with a bow and everything- plus it was a small clipping- Probably looked like something else-

considering how much they were talking about "healers" in the last book, maybe the new DADA teacher will be one of them? maybe the one who was fired?
    so it can "devour" a person even if it was just a clipping? cool. *gets a clipping of Devil's Snare and leaves a disguised version of it in front of enemy's door*

a healer could be the new DADA teacher. if i remembered it correctly, it was in the brochures that they were reading that you need really good marks in DADA to become a healer.

shux. it's past 12 AM here. gotta sleep now! Good night guys!

ReputationRep:
    so it can "devour" a person even if it was just a clipping?
    No, it strangled him :P

Night!

ReputationRep:
    so it can "devour" a person even if it was just a clipping? cool. *gets a clipping of Devil's Snare and leaves a disguised version of it in front of enemy's door*

a healer could be the new DADA teacher. if i remembered it correctly, it was in the brochures that they were reading that you need really good marks in DADA to become a healer.

shux. it's past 12 AM here. gotta sleep now! Good night guys!
    It may have started out a small clipping but it grew. Bode didn't die until after he had started showing signs of getting better and was taking care of the plant himself. So it probably had grown a bit in a couple of months.

ReputationRep:
    I dont think it had grown that much- it waited for him to TOUCH it before it strangled him- before that I'm sure they just magically watered it- but he didn't have his wand so he would have had to touch it- see?

My theory on the healer is that ----
    1. Poppy Pomfrey has been a small role with big impressions in every book

2. That pamphlet they saw about how hard it is to be a healer

3. The whole St. Mungo's experience

4. That nurse being fired over the devil's snare incident

5. umm- I had like two more but I'm having a dumb bunny moment here-

Anyways, I could be completely off but its my own little theory!

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.