Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I think dumbledore will expell malfoy, crabe and goyle, because he does not want sons of death eaters in his school.
    I dont think dumbledore will expell them - hes too nice. Plus hogwarts wouldnt be the same without harry and malfoy's rivalry.

ReputationRep:
    My favorite character is definitely Sirius followed closely be Lupin. I'm actually suprised about how many people like those characters. Sirius is always gonna be my favorite characer, alive or not. I really hope he plays a big part in the last 2 books!

LEARN TO SPELL AND UNDERSTAND A GOOD STORY WHEN IT LANDS IN YOUR LAP

(Original post by ickle_katy)
    he will wake up and it'll all be a dream.

love Katy ***

ps. harry potter is the most rediculas waste of money i have ever seen, talk bout christmas being comercialized- u "fans" are stoopid.

ReputationRep:
    I have only read the series once, Can you guys help me and tell me where I should go back and read again as to which book supposedly gives clues to the ending???

ReputationRep:
    Well I think there are soo many sentences in the books that you could read into further and I wouldn't say they were all 'clues'. Some of them are probably meaningless, and others designed to throw you maybe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lavender)
    I have only read the series once, Can you guys help me and tell me where I should go back and read again as to which book supposedly gives clues to the ending???
    Read them all, they're such fantastic stories it would be rude not to read them over and over again! Its quite interesting re-reading the earlier books with the benefit of heinsight, its raised loads of questions I hadn't even thought of the first time round. I've lost count of how many times I read the first 4 books!

Theres supposed to be a clue in book 2 though.

P.S.
    Has anyone found out who the barman in the Hogs head is, it says "He was a grumpy-looking old man with a great deal of long grey hair and beard. He was tall and thin and looked vaguely familiar to Harry"

Dumbledore's brother Aberforth perhaps?

ReputationRep:
    actually..come to think of it..that was exactly what i was thinking..he resembles dumbledore(prof) i guess thats why harry thought he recognized him

CR

ReputationRep:
    Read them all, they're such fantastic stories it would be rude not to read them over and over again! Its quite interesting re-reading the earlier books with the benefit of heinsight, its raised loads of questions I hadn't even thought of the first time round. I've lost count of how many times I read the first 4 books!
    i have just been reading them all again.
    I had forgotten how much detail the films had left out!!

as for those who say harry potter is a waste of time- how can u not like it?! theres nothing not to like, they are well-written, easy to read and fun.
    kt x

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I reckon from the description that that guy could be Aberforth. For sure, I doubt that J K Rowling would have put that description in for no reason. Maybe he will play an important part in the next two books. You never know.
    I also recommend that you read all of the books again. For one, it's brilliant to familliarise yourself with what happened before, and the other characters. Also, there might be parts which you previously skimmed over, or didn't take too much notice of before, which you might notice now. And these might turn out to be clues. I don't know how many people noticed the line in the 4th book about that triumphant gleam or whatever in Dumbledore's eyes. I mean some people might just have not noticed it too much before, but I still reckon that that line might be important, maybe in the downfall of Voldemort.

ReputationRep:
    ur right ...i just finished rereading the 1-4 books for god knows how many times but only the first time since finishing book 5...i have to recommend to EVERYONe READ THE BOOKS OVER...i missed plenty of key foreshadowing...plus it was kinda fun...haha

CR

(Original post by PR1)
    Evan D.,
    It was my post that you read on page one. There's been considerable dissent around here about my idea. You can read all the rest of the posts and find that out. I'm not so sure about something posted ny Lavender, however. Does the prophecy actually say that he'd be marked "from their first meeting"? I don't think so, but I don't have the book. You'd better check on that - and by the way, I don't think Neville ever met with Vold. You can check, but I don't think so. Even in the ministries of magic building, i don't think they ever actually met or faced each other - which makes me wonder. Most people, of course, believe that the locked room will figure prominently in the next few books. I agree. But, what about the locked room? Harry can't open it. He tried. It's true - HArry's mother saved him from Vold. But, it's also true that Neville loves his parents very much, and they love him very much as well. NEville is capable of a lot of love - and, if you want to know what I think, well, here goes.

Some battle will ensue, and Harry's friends will watch or see Harry be either injured or killed by Voldemort. Neville will get seriously p.o.'d, and without realizing it, he will attack vold. - because of his love for harry. Because he has a ton of what is in that locked room. Will Harry live? I don't know. Neville is great at herbology, too . . . Just maybe, harry will eek out alive. AND, what's more, the mark doesn't mean scar. Folks, it very well may be the case that no one has even been marked yet, according to the prophecy. The prophecy doesn't say when the person will be marked. MAybe vold. will kill Neville's parents yet, in effect marking neville as his equal - Vold. killed his own parents, too. I don't really know - I just know that there's no reason to insert that bit about neville being born at the same time without it coming around again to mean something.

NOW - the prophecy. who goes insane? someone with the book actually look at it, and tell me who goes crazy. Is it the person who touches it if it doesn't belong to him, or is it the person who listens to it if it doesn't belong to him? Remember, harry didn't hear the prophecy, AND Neville was responsible for breaking it. Could be that Neville heard it - neither harry nor neville are crazy, mind you. hmmmm. . . JKR puts all these wheels in place to be important later.

SO, sorry about the length, but I don't get to post very often. Bottom line? Harry will get his wish and not be famous anymore, and NEville will, for the first time, be famous.

PR
    The prophecy states:
    "the one with the power to vanquish the dark lord approaches...born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies... (this is where the eavesdropper gets thrown out so this is all the part that voldemort ever heard, next is the part that he didnt know!!)
    "and the dark lord will mark him as his equal, but he will have power the dark lord knows not... and blah blah blah"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PR1)
    NOW - the prophecy. who goes insane? someone with the book actually look at it, and tell me who goes crazy. Is it the person who touches it if it doesn't belong to him, or is it the person who listens to it if it doesn't belong to him? Remember, harry didn't hear the prophecy, AND Neville was responsible for breaking it. Could be that Neville heard it - neither harry nor neville are crazy, mind you. hmmmm. . . JKR puts all these wheels in place to be important later.

PR
    i beleive it was the person who touches it...isn't that why none of the death eaters could get it until harry had it...this might explain why the prophecy shattered when nevill

also...when the prophecy says one will die at the hand of the other...does that mean that only harry/neville can kill voldemort and ONLY voldemort can kill harry/neville

CR

ReputationRep:
    sorry but unregistered(2 posts back)...what were u trying to say i don't understand what side ur taking or what ur trying to point out..please explain ..i'm confused

CR

ReputationRep:
    i hope hagrid doesn't die...but not as uch as i hope UNregistered eats his own s**t.......anyway i wouldn't be surprised if harry just died of depression or something..i mean...wow thats alot of deaths in a childs life

CR

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ickle_katy)
    he will wake up and it'll all be a dream.

love Katy ***

ps. harry potter is the most rediculas waste of money i have ever seen, talk bout christmas being comercialized- u "fans" are stoopid.
    wow..sorry about pulling this out from soooooo long ago but its been bugging me....i mean seriously this person is probably one of those kids who goofed off in english class and never learned how to freakin read so u decided to form an aliance of weird people who never learned how to read and some day try to take over the world...

CR

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CR3)
    sorry but unregistered(2 posts back)...what were u trying to say i don't understand what side ur taking or what ur trying to point out..please explain ..i'm confused

CR
    Sorry about that! That was me, I had to wait a while till I got my hands on the book again and wanted to clarify what I was saying about Harry being marked not neville.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CR3)
    i beleive it was the person who touches it...isn't that why none of the death eaters could get it until harry had it...this might explain why the prophecy shattered when nevill

also...when the prophecy says one will die at the hand of the other...does that mean that only harry/neville can kill voldemort and ONLY voldemort can kill harry/neville

CR
    I really think as much detail as Dumbledore goes into in the end of Harry Potter 5 that it definately is Harry and not Neville talked of in the prophecy, I would think that Yes, Harry will have to kill Voldemort and Voldemort will have to kill Harry.

As far as touching the prophecy, if someone touches it whos name isnt on it, I took it as they go insane like the guy that was in the hospital and was then killed by the plant, Even though Harry's name was a question mark on the prophecy, wouldnt the prophecy sphere itself know who it was talking about so that if Harry did touch it and it really wasnt him then he would go insane??

Why didnt voldemort just go in to steal it? his name was on it, he was able to break in anyway? I dont remember that ---

ReputationRep:
    Now that would be a little suspicious wouldn't it, Voldemort going into the ministry of magic to retrieve the prophecy. He probably didn't want to reveal himself. So he left it to poor old Harry to do the dirty work. However is there a proper description of why Voldemort didn't go after the prophecy himself in the book?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Now that would be a little suspicious wouldn't it, Voldemort going into the ministry of magic to retrieve the prophecy. He probably didn't want to reveal himself. So he left it to poor old Harry to do the dirty work. However is there a proper description of why Voldemort didn't go after the prophecy himself in the book?
    I think the only thing eluded to in the book was what you just said, he didnt want to reveal himself yet, maybe he was thinking he would kill harry then reveal himself and everyone would be doubly scared but since harry is alive and has beaten voldemort 4 times voldemort thought people might not as scared of him???
    otherwise I dont remember

i don't think harry will die!and the power harry has that vold does'nt is emotion.i've read all you're posts and it seems that none of you have noticed somthings thats been botherin me.

1) some wizards/witches think there better than the rest of the world and im not just talking about deatheaters. Ron in the forth book says stuff abt giants assuming he's better than them just because he grew up in the wizarding world so i think it would be really cool in the sixth book if jk rowling made someone that was more powerful than wizards like just being able to wave the hands like the wand.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.