Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    it's PRILB egan. I set it up a a group that focuses on Sirius. That doesn't mean i dont like this thread... i look forward to coming home and reading the posts! i just thought that Sirius was my fav. charator, and since he died, i thought a club to discuss him would be fun. But if u don't want in, then u have to be.
    PRILB QOTH: Was Sirius aware of the plot to kill james?
    "Lilly and James were probably in their early 20s. That's certainly how I imagine them."
    I thought of them as in their 40's but now i see thats very unlikely. Maybe 30's? early 20's is kinda young to have a son and get married and such... maybe they were late 20's to early 30's.
    Probably, because he was going to be the Secret Keeper and he knew that they'd changed it to Wormtail. I always imagined Lily and James as quite young, probably mid-twenties, like they'd gone out while they were at school then married once they'd left and had Harry shortly after. I imagined the mirror of Erised to show them as they were before they died as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leroylina)
    i wasn´t trying to be mean or anything, i did answer your post didn´t i? i said i still didn´t know how moody knew it was a boggart.
    i want to know what people think about it.
    i just thought you would like to go back and read what we posted on the subject.
    i guess that's what the advantage of having the magical eye. did it say that when moody saw it, it was in its original state? or maybe when he saw it, it was in the form of his fear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    Probably, because he was going to be the Secret Keeper and he knew that they'd changed it to Wormtail. I always imagined Lily and James as quite young, probably mid-twenties, like they'd gone out while they were at school then married once they'd left and had Harry shortly after. I imagined the mirror of Erised to show them as they were before they died as well.
    i agree. Lilly and James were born around 1960, i read about it on a quiz. and as Harry was born in 1980, it seems to fit.

heres the website for those of you that haven't been on it. test your knowege. http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/tv...00/2380597.stm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    or maybe the picture in the album that hagrid gave. I mean, baby harry was there too. But i imagined James to be more... ravishing

ReputationRep:
    I think Sirius nver had a career.I think that since he was Lily and James SEcret keeper even he would have to go into hiding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prongs_TheGreat)
    I think Sirius nver had a career.I think that since he was Lily and James SEcret keeper even he would have to go into hiding.
    he would have had a career. he left Hogwarts at 17, and James and Lilly were murdered in their 20's (i'm betting on 21). so he would have had a career between those years. how else could he have brought Harry the firebolt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Hi guys, I've been off the board for a while, because I was pretty busy with uni and being ill and stuff, but I'm back. Nice to see the thread continuing to run along nicely. Haven't as yet properly caught up with all the posts, so I'll reply to later posts just now. On the subject of Sirius' job, I reckon that he might have been an auror. I mean, he seems the type of person who will try and do the total opposite of his evil family, and that would very well mean fighting the bad. How old do you reckon Lily and James were when they died? I mean how long would it have been after they had graduated? Which would determine the length of time which they held a job.
    Also, as I haven't read further then the last few pages, can someone please fill me in on what the PRIlb is.
    Thanks
    Welcome back, Xenon! You Joining Padfoot Returns In Later Books? heehee.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prongs_TheGreat)
    Who were the persons who knew that Sirius was the secret keeper? I'm sure not many people. So I think he could have had a career. I mean, not just because you're someone who keeps someone's secret doesn't mean you should just go into hiding forever, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladyblitzer)
    Who were the persons who knew that Sirius was the secret keeper? I'm sure not many people. So I think he could have had a career. I mean, not just because you're someone who keeps someone's secret doesn't mean you should just go into hiding forever, right?
    everyone in the order knew about it.

ReputationRep:
    nothing to say, but everyone in the known universe has posted on this hread, so i thought i'd add a contribution.

woof

ReputationRep:
    This is my view. Sirius was an Auror, he seems to me to be the type that craves adventure and wouldn't want to set around. Being an Auror he wouldn't be in one place for long and he would know what was going on all the time. He also was from a wealthy family but they had disowned him so he was not getting money from them I would guess so he had to work. Dumbledore asked Sirius to be the Potter's secret keeper and I think he would have told Sirius why it was necessary. Lily and James probably started dating during their 7th year (17 or 18 depending on when their b-day was). Married a year or two after they got out of school say (18 - 20) and had Harry two years after they were married (19-21) and died a year later (21-22) maybe as old as 24 but that would only be if they waited until after school to date or waited an extra year to either get married or have Harry. I do think that at least one or both of them were teachers at Hogwarts. James may have wanted to be a quiddith (sp. sorry) player but after he got married felt that he needed to be more responsible.

I have a question. If Lily and James were both teachers at Hogwarts and from what we can see all the professors live at Hogwarts. After they had Harry did they live at Hogwarts with him? And if they had not died do you think Harry would have lived at Hogwarts all his life, what would that have been like?

Oh yeah, and WELCOME BACK Xenon. Sorry you were ill. We missed you.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they could have been teachers at Hogwarts and lived in Godric's Hollow- Trewlawny said Hogwarts was her home and she didn't have anyplace else to go, so I guess teachers live there full time-

ReputationRep:
    sorry what I said before was confusing- I meant if it was anything BUT a boggart in the desk, he would have been able to see it, wouldn't he? So if he looked up at a rattling desk and didn't see anything, he could have surmised that it was a boggart- catch me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kcoverst)
    I have a question. If Lily and James were both teachers at Hogwarts and from what we can see all the professors live at Hogwarts. After they had Harry did they live at Hogwarts with him? And if they had not died do you think Harry would have lived at Hogwarts all his life, what would that have been like?
    Just realised my post didn't work. Damn.

They lived in Godric's Hollow - we are told in the first book.

Have now forgotten what else I said...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    Just realised my post didn't work. Damn.

They lived in Godric's Hollow - we are told in the first book.

Have now forgotten what else I said...?
    I understand that Godric's Hollow was where they were living when Voldie found them and killed them, but I thought that was just a hidding place and maybe not their actual residence. You know a temporary residence.

ReputationRep:
    Remember the whole thing about Voldemort telling Lilly that "she didn't need to die" if she had just got out of the way so that he could kill Harry...well, what i had thought, was this:
    We know Voldemort was the last living decendant of Slytherin...so I thought that Harry's dad, and Harry of course, might be the last living decendants of Gryfindor...making them sort of "arch enemies" or something. I mean, it would have explained why Lilly didn't matter to him, and why both Harry and his dad had to die.
    Okay, so the whole bit about the prophecy sort of spoiled my theory, because we know now why Voldemort really wanted Harry dead...but I still quite like the theory, because, although we know Lilly was Petunia's sister, we know nothing about James' side of the family. How is it, that Harry doesn't have any grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, or even third cousins five times removed in the wizarding world? So, anyway, I want to know more about Harry's family tree, and see whether there are any surprises. The whole Gryffindor bit would explain why Harry's family was so rich. All those Galleons he has locked away in Gringotts could be some old family treasure type of thing....and then there's also the fact that his parents had been living in "Godric's Hollow", which could be some family estate or something passed down from generation to generation - who knows?...Oh yeah, and then there were those red and gold sparks which came out of Harry's wand when he first tried it - Griffyndor colours, might be a family thing, and also that Godric's sword, which Harry pulled out of the sorting hat, which Dumbledore said "only a true Gryffindor" could have done, which could mean more than just someone in that house.
    Anyway, it's just something to think about.

Neville is my absolutely favourite character, and even if he doesn't end up being the one killing Voldemort, I'm sure he will somehow be involved with helping Harry. I was so sure he was going to be the one dying in book 5....the bit with his mum was so sad! and I was so touched when he had that nose-bleed, but still came to try and back up Harry...I was sure he's die then. Glad it wasn't him though.....oh, and I've been expecting Mr. B. to cough it ever since I first turned up, not that I wanted him to, but I just knew he wouldn't last.

Okay, that's all from me,
    bye then

ReputationRep:
    Good points. Welcome.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder how Lupin felt when all of this was going on. I mean I am assuming that all of the mauraders knew about Voldie wanting to kill Harry. But Sirius was initially named secret keeper, and then Wormtail. I wonder what Lupin thought, especially as he would have loved to have such a job to help his friends out, but had not been given the chance to do so. Or might Lupin have been on a secret mission for the order then, and would therefore have not been able to help out his friends as much as he would have wanted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    I wonder how Lupin felt when all of this was going on. I mean I am assuming that all of the mauraders knew about Voldie wanting to kill Harry. But Sirius was initially named secret keeper, and then Wormtail. I wonder what Lupin thought, especially as he would have loved to have such a job to help his friends out, but had not been given the chance to do so. Or might Lupin have been on a secret mission for the order then, and would therefore have not been able to help out his friends as much as he would have wanted.
    Maybe I'm wrong but in PoA when Lupin and Sirius were first talking in the shreking shack I got the impression that the reason that Wormtail was asked to serve as secret keeper was bcs Sirius and Dumbledore suspected that someone was a traitor and that it was Lupin. I guess they didn't think that Wormtail would have had enough spine to double cross the order. So it really wasn't a matter of Lupin not being available it was that he was suspected of being a double crosser.

ReputationRep:
    I just found this on the Lexicon. It kind of proves that Neville was not part of the prophecy.

Frank Longbottom
    Auror, popular in the Wizarding World, who fought against Voldemort and his supporters during the 1970s. He and his wife were captured by Death Eaters shortly after the fall of Voldemort (c.1981). They were subjected to the Cruciatus Curse in an attempt to force them to tell where the defeated Dark Lord had fled to. They were driven insane and are now at St. Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries. They do not even recognize family members. (GF, OP Frank and Alice were members of the original Order of the Phoenix (OP

Alice Longbottom
    Wife of Frank and an Auror as well. Alice is a round-faced woman; her son Neville looks a lot like her. Her hair is whispy and gray. About ten years ago, she was tortured by Bellatrix Lestrange and a group of Death Eaters and driven insane. Alice is currently at St. Mungo's, in Ward 49. She doesn't recognize her son, although she does realize that he is someone she likes and gives him a bubble gum wrapper for a gift. Gran, Frank's mother, dismisses the "gift" and tells Neville to drop it in the trash, but the boy pockets it. (OP Alice, along with her husband, was a member of the original Order of the Phoenix. (OP

What do you all think?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.