The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

mirth
Remember the whole thing about Voldemort telling Lilly that "she didn't need to die" if she had just got out of the way so that he could kill Harry...well, what i had thought, was this:
We know Voldemort was the last living decendant of Slytherin...so I thought that Harry's dad, and Harry of course, might be the last living decendants of Gryfindor...making them sort of "arch enemies" or something. I mean, it would have explained why Lilly didn't matter to him, and why both Harry and his dad had to die.
Okay, so the whole bit about the prophecy sort of spoiled my theory, because we know now why Voldemort really wanted Harry dead...but I still quite like the theory, because, although we know Lilly was Petunia's sister, we know nothing about James' side of the family. How is it, that Harry doesn't have any grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, or even third cousins five times removed in the wizarding world? So, anyway, I want to know more about Harry's family tree, and see whether there are any surprises. The whole Gryffindor bit would explain why Harry's family was so rich. All those Galleons he has locked away in Gringotts could be some old family treasure type of thing....and then there's also the fact that his parents had been living in "Godric's Hollow", which could be some family estate or something passed down from generation to generation - who knows?...Oh yeah, and then there were those red and gold sparks which came out of Harry's wand when he first tried it - Griffyndor colours, might be a family thing, and also that Godric's sword, which Harry pulled out of the sorting hat, which Dumbledore said "only a true Gryffindor" could have done, which could mean more than just someone in that house.
Anyway, it's just something to think about.

this is such a good post. very analytic :biggrin:

probably, that's why Voldemort and Harry matches up... since they're both heirs and all. maybe JK would officially announce that Harry is in fact Godric's heir in the final battle
leroylina
from what i read in book five lily seemed like the kind of person who could become a teacher, i don´t know about james though. but i like to think they had an exciting job, teaching is not exactly the most adventurous career.

if teachers made that much money, then lupin could have been better financially, at least during the year he was teaching, and the book says he was always wearing those old robes.

but who knows maybe they were teachers and that´s how they got so close to dumbledore.

maybe james was a quidditch player or an auror.

well, maybe they're not really THAT close to dumbledore. maybe they were headboy and girl, that's why dumbledore knows them well enough. and it just so happened that they died and their son made the oh so great evil lord vanish that's why they became so popular too.
Reply 3662
PadFoot90
30,000 posts,
Er? Do you mean 3,000?

leroylina
gilderoy lockhart

i read that too. but neville was to small when that happened so i don´t think he´d remember.

I suppose he could have had really distant memories- like Harry recalling the laughter and green light.

Dude
James and Lilly were in their 20s when they weree killed. we know this because harry was born in 1980, killed in 1981. So james and lilly must have been born in 1960.

Harry died in 1981? :P
Reply 3663
ladyblitzer
about the marauder's map... yeah. i do wonder. i mean, sirius, even in his animagi form, shows sirius. so they should have seen moody... or maybe because he was locked away in a very complicated box that's why he couldn't be seen

so if voldie is 66, you think hagrid is also about the same age? i mean, they did go to school together, right? even though they're not of the same year if ever, then their ages should not be too far.

The marauders map doesn't show EVERY person in hogwarts. just important people. i reckon also that moody (the orginal moody) has some protection against that sort of thing.

Tom Riddle was in his 7th year in CoS, so he was 17. Hagrid was in his third year, so that would make him about 13. So now Hagrid is about 62.
Reply 3664
Egan1
Harry died in 1981? :P

yer, it's been worked out. cos we know that he turns 12 in 1992.
Reply 3665
ladyblitzer
maybe james was a quidditch player or an auror.

well, maybe they're not really THAT close to dumbledore. maybe they were headboy and girl, that's why dumbledore knows them well enough. and it just so happened that they died and their son made the oh so great evil lord vanish that's why they became so popular too.

I think that they might have been pretty close to Dumblydore, like one of his favourites or something. I mean, Dumbledore even offered to be their secret keeper. That means that he might have felt very close and protective towards them. I mean, you don't offer to do such an important thing like that unless you really know the people and are close enough to them.
Reply 3666
We've got to find out more about Godric's Hollow in the next books. I mean, J K Rowling wouldn't put such a name which has such a connection to Godric Gryffindor's name without reason. I don't see what other reason there could be for all of the references to Gryffindor when talking about Harry and his family apart from the fact that he could be Gryffindor's heir or something. What other explanation could there be?
Dude
The marauders map doesn't show EVERY person in hogwarts. just important people. i reckon also that moody (the orginal moody) has some protection against that sort of thing.

Tom Riddle was in his 7th year in CoS, so he was 17. Hagrid was in his third year, so that would make him about 13. So now Hagrid is about 62.

the map DOES show every person in hogwarts. and even if it didn´t, how does it decide who´s important and who´s not?
harry wasn´t looking at the map carefully, just like he didn´t see peter. everytime harry looks at the map he checks for snape, mrs norris and filch, and once he finds them he puts the map away, its not like he stares at it for a long time.

i was really surprised after reading CoS, i never thought hagrid was that old!

about harry being Griffindor´s heir, well it sounds good and it fits really well , but its just too predictable.

i find interesting that voldie didn´t want to kill lily, he has shown that he doesn´t care about killing people in order to get what he wants, so its weird that he told her to get out of the way.
leroylina
the map DOES show every person in hogwarts. and even if it didn´t, how does it decide who´s important and who´s not?
harry wasn´t looking at the map carefully, just like he didn´t see peter. everytime harry looks at the map he checks for snape, mrs norris and filch, and once he finds them he puts the map away, its not like he stares at it for a long time.

i was really surprised after reading CoS, i never thought hagrid was that old!

about harry being Griffindor´s heir, well it sounds good and it fits really well , but its just too predictable.

i find interesting that voldie didn´t want to kill lily, he has shown that he doesn´t care about killing people in order to get what he wants, so its weird that he told her to get out of the way.

yes. maybe he doesn't really care since she is not really a potter by blood. wait. but did he want to kill james as well? or was it just harry? can't remember...

yeah, Hagrid doesn't look like 62. He looks younger... maybe that's because he's a giant? :biggrin: hehe.
Xenon
I think that they might have been pretty close to Dumblydore, like one of his favourites or something. I mean, Dumbledore even offered to be their secret keeper. That means that he might have felt very close and protective towards them. I mean, you don't offer to do such an important thing like that unless you really know the people and are close enough to them.

oh, i didn't know he offered to be their secret keeper. haven't been paying attention to details, i guess!!! ack! have to re-read everything! :biggrin:
Reply 3670
Dude

I incidentally have more questions on the marauders map. how can a map show multiple storeys and levels and dungeons. does it show the house elves? sure i agree that it does not show all the creatures at hogwarts. Can be one reason but a 2 dimensional map showing a 3 dimensional castle is pretty weird!!!

Again, James and lily cannot have been in their twenties when they had harry. Reason 1: Voldie wud have had some time to rise to power. it is not like he graduates out of school and becomes a dark lord. he wud have had to do a lot of things to gain the "popularity" (for the lack of a better word to describe it) and power.

Reason 2: Well twenties surely is not an age to make babies.
Reason 3: coz i say so.

But the question is if voldie was actually ruling for 13 years in power and let us presume that he took some 10 years in the making to such a position and if wormtail was with voldie during all this time, then why wud sirius/dumbledore/james be stupid enuf to trust wormtail??? Why would someone choose a person who has not been available for 20+ years near them to be the secret keeper!!! beats me.

does anyone remember "green" being the colour of gryffindor flag colour or is it my imagination playing up coz of the movies. then harry's and lily's eye colour match that "green". the books do not say anything about voldie wanting to kill james first. but only talks about him wanting to spare lily. probably voldie being voldie, wud have offered that bait to lily so that she wud not duel/fight him while he tries to kill the baby first and lily next.

GK1
Reply 3671
Xenon
J K Rowling has now said in 2 interviews that Harry might not survive at end of book 7. What do you guys think. The prophecy says that in order for Voldemort to die, Harry would have to kill him, or vice versa. However, Dumbledore could have killed Harry if he had killed Voldemort when Harry was possessed. That doesn't make sense as the prophecy says that Voldemort has to die at the hand of Harry. In this case, Harry would not have killed him.
Surely, the way in which Harry and Voldemort and Harry would both die, is surely if Harry is possessed, and Harry sacrifices himself. But then, there would not be a battle scene at the end. Therefore I'm hoping that Rowling will not kill Harry at the end.
But what do you guys reckon? Will Harry die at the end of book 7, or will J K Rowling will be kind enough to let him enjoy the aftermath of killing Voldemort?

I hope Harry dies before the 7th book, I will be glad to see the back of him.
Reply 3672
Dude
yer, it's been worked out. cos we know that he turns 12 in 1992.

My point was that Harry hasn't died...
Reply 3673
GK1

Again, James and lily cannot have been in their twenties when they had harry. Reason 1: Voldie wud have had some time to rise to power. it is not like he graduates out of school and becomes a dark lord. he wud have had to do a lot of things to gain the "popularity" (for the lack of a better word to describe it) and power.

But the question is if voldie was actually ruling for 13 years in power and let us presume that he took some 10 years in the making to such a position and if wormtail was with voldie during all this time, then why wud sirius/dumbledore/james be stupid enuf to trust wormtail??? Why would someone choose a person who has not been available for 20+ years near them to be the secret keeper!!! beats me.

I think you're thinking that James and Lilly etc were at school with Voldemort. This is wrong. Voldemort is much older, so would have been scheming and setting up etc while they were in school. Then they left school and somehow/somewhen Wormtail came across Voldemort and joined his fans, while still in contact with the others.

Also- just because now days people might not get married as young and have children, doesn't mean some do not.
Egan1
I think you're thinking that James and Lilly etc were at school with Voldemort. This is wrong. Voldemort is much older, so would have been scheming and setting up etc while they were in school. Then they left school and somehow/somewhen Wormtail came across Voldemort and joined his fans, while still in contact with the others.

Also- just because now days people might not get married as young and have children, doesn't mean some do not.

yeah. If there was someone who went to Hogwarts almost at the same time as Voldie, it's Hagrid. And I do believe that Hagrid was already there during MWPP time.

Ooooh, but people DO get married and have babies at a young age! the youngest I know is... hmm... 20?
Reply 3675
PinkPony
I hope Harry dies before the 7th book, I will be glad to see the back of him.

Yawn! Yet another Harry Potter basher. Dream on!
Reply 3676
ladyblitzer
yeah. If there was someone who went to Hogwarts almost at the same time as Voldie, it's Hagrid. And I do believe that Hagrid was already there during MWPP time.

Ooooh, but people DO get married and have babies at a young age! the youngest I know is... hmm... 20?

James and Lily could have got married straight after they left Hogwarts. That would make them about 18 or something. Plenty of time to have a baby by the age of 20.
Reply 3677
GK1
I incidentally have more questions on the marauders map. how can a map show multiple storeys and levels and dungeons. does it show the house elves? sure i agree that it does not show all the creatures at hogwarts. Can be one reason but a 2 dimensional map showing a 3 dimensional castle is pretty weird!!!

GK1

come on. loads of people have kids in their 20s, even younger then that. and i'm pretty sure that when harry saw his parents in the mirror of Erised, they would have looked like a young couple.
Reply 3678
Dude
come on. loads of people have kids in their 20s, even younger then that. and i'm pretty sure that when harry saw his parents in the mirror of Erised, they would have looked like a young couple.

To be honest, I reckon that Harry's parents had to be in their 20s, probably really early 20s when they died. Because in these books, Lupin and Sirius are described as youngish looking, and I'm assuming that that would mean that they'd have to be in their 30s and not in their 40s. That means that subtract the age of Harry, they would have been in their early 20s or 19 or something when Harry was born, and that includes James and Lily. That's what I reckon anyways.
Xenon
To be honest, I reckon that Harry's parents had to be in their 20s, probably really early 20s when they died. Because in these books, Lupin and Sirius are described as youngish looking, and I'm assuming that that would mean that they'd have to be in their 30s and not in their 40s. That means that subtract the age of Harry, they would have been in their early 20s or 19 or something when Harry was born, and that includes James and Lily. That's what I reckon anyways.

i agree.
someone said that they died in their 40s and that´s not possible because then sirius and lupin would have to be in their 50s almost 60s which is way too old.

Latest

Trending

Trending