Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GK1)
    i agree that the final battle wud be between harry/voldie, i was just wondering on the similarities and was thinking that neville has started gaining prominence in the last book. hence my idea on it being a quartet. of course, there is no female character in LOTR GK1
    No Female Character. What About Arwen.

ReputationRep:
    well even she had to pretend to be a guy to enter into the battle. but she was not a major character apart from the healing and other parts. was just saying that there were not that many in number when u compare the two books!!!

GK1

ReputationRep:
    there is the Kings neice, Ewolin (forgotten how to spell it) she is one of the main characters in ROTK.

ReputationRep:
    Wow- lots of misinformation-
    the timeline on the HP DVD (the second one I think) was JKR approved and edited- plus- thanks to COS, where they state about a million times that the chamber was opened 50 years ago, and what year Voldie and Hagrid were, you can date their ages exactly- Vold wasn't "Ruling" for 13 years, there were 13 years of terror- which means he was probably plugging away at it long before- which we also know from COS since he said his friends at school were already calling his Voldemort-

we know wizards can start having kids in their 20s- think about it, if the Weasley's hadn't started then, they'd be ancient by the time they had Ginny- also- Hagrid could easily be in his 60s- so could Voldie- Dumbledore is 150, and JK has said MANY time that wizards don't age like people, and 150 is a perfectly reasonable age for him-

when the FIRST book came out- she said James had inherited his money- so it doesn't matter what job they had in terms of salary- they already had a bank full- I'm guessing if there is no one left in his family he inherited everyone's money- or he may have had very rich parents- in any case, he didn't need to have a high paying job-

ReputationRep:
    and this isn't a LOTR discussion group- but Tolkien is well known for preferring his women to be strong but in the background- they should be defending hearth and home not the battlefield (his opinion, not mine)- which is why they yell at Eowyn so much for wanting to be a soldier- in the end she gives up and gets married-

I dont think the two books are THAT similar, only in a couple of character analysis- I think they are only being compared so much because the movies came out together- otherwise I don't think anyone would have thought of putting them together- probably would have compares LOTR with Star Wars or something first-

ReputationRep:
    Having read through this thread, i have realised how incomplete my life has been, having not watched Harry Potter or reading the books. But i have been enlightened now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jesus09)
    Having read through this thread, i have realised how incomplete my life has been, having not watched Harry Potter or reading the books. But i have been enlightened now.
    That's nice to hear and very nice name, by the way after seeing the movies and reading the books, tell us what you think. I'm sure this thread would still be around.

ReputationRep:
    I just gave my 7 year old the Chamber of Secrets to read. You should have seen the way her eyes got big and her mouth fell open, she practically ran to tell her big brother that she was reading her first Harry Potter book. She was so excited that she read me the first two page with hardly any trouble. She has seen the movie and listened to the tapes, but it was something about holding that book and reading the words herself that got her so excited. It was such a good feeling.

ReputationRep:
    Why didn't you give her Socerer's Stone first?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brooklyn)
    I typed the wrong thing. I did give her Socerer's Stone. Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Horse

(Original post by Dude)
    thank you.

here is an idea, what shape would your Patronus take. i reckon mine would be an elephant or a tiger

ReputationRep:
    I thought all the characters in the movie were great!! especially snape, that was a good fit.

as ron grows in the books he doesnt quite fit his movie character (in the book he is real skinny) but that is ok.

if anyone was messed up would be people like lavender and pavarti, the only girls i can picture in the movies werent very cute and both those gals in the book are pretty.

I cant wait to see who will play Umbridge. Ooooh i hate her!!!!

ReputationRep:
    i apologize, i have been so busy lately i havent been able to post, but i will get on that. Im reading book 5 for the 4th time. So that takes up my posting time.

I dont want to wait for book 6 any longer. when will it be here!!!!

does anyone have good links on recent articles or interviews regarding jk rowling or the movies??

ReputationRep:
    Well I 'd have to pick the obvious and be Harry, then next would be Hermonie

(Original post by lou p lou)
    yeah, i'm here too... but i've exhausted just about all my harry potter views.

hmmm... question: If you could be any character in the films who would you be? *age, sex change, plastic surgery etc. is possible*

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GK1)
    Egan1, thank you for the reply. but the fact is that i am not starting a debate on whether 20 is a good enough age for having/making babies or not. but just that if you are going to graduate out of school and have a kid and suddenly die, then where is the time for making a career and all the riches? probably you are saying that they made all the money in such a short time being an auror/teacher? do not think so.
    I didn't say anything about how they made their money, it's something I haven't considered in great detail.
    (Original post by GK1)
    But the point made in my post about the timeline was that voldie was 49 years harry's senior in hogwarts. then when harry was born, he was 38 years his senior. deduct the 13 years of rule = 25 years. i agree that voldie could have been in power when james/lily were in school. but there seems to be no mention of james lily discussing anything like voldie/dark lord etc in the pensieve. probably harry was seeing only one memory and expecting jkr to give something away from there wud be too much.
    Which book does it day that Voldemort had '13 years of rule'? I was thinking that while the Potters etc were at school he was probably just beginning to come to be known etc and to start openly terrorising etc, or maybe just that, we haven't seen that many flashbacks, and it's not like they'd be talking about Voldemort all the time. If you think about it- at school or when you were at school, you probably didn't focus a lot of conversation on terrorists etc.

ReputationRep:
    and this isn't a LOTR discussion group- but Tolkien is well known for preferring his women to be strong but in the background- they should be defending hearth and home not the battlefield (his opinion, not mine)- which is why they yell at Eowyn so much for wanting to be a soldier- in the end she gives up and gets married-
    Damn it! I haven't read LOTR yet! I started a few years ago, then stopped when had to read something for an English thing and then couldn't remember where I had got to but didn't want to struggle through the prologue again. I plan to read them after ROTK (am a huge LOTR film fan) but please please could people not post the ending to it until the final film is released.

Arg! Philosopher's Stone!

(Original post by lavender)
    I cant wait to see who will play Umbridge. Ooooh i hate her!!!!
    My Head of Year (new this year) would be good I think. She's very similar to how I imagine her :P

ReputationRep:
    Sorry! Didn't mean to spoil it! But I wouldn't wait to read the first two at least- there are so many things you wouldn't pay attention to in the movies that were explained in the books- especially stuff from "The Hobbit" -

but anyway, back to HP- I am pretty sure someplace someone said something about 13 years of terror- I just can't remember where-

ReputationRep:
    patronus- I'd hope a Phoenix- but everytime I take one of those quizes that tell you what animal you are, I either get a panther or an elephant-

ReputationRep:
    i think that mine would be some sort of cat, or a dragon

ReputationRep:
    hey guys! sorry i haven't been on in awhile. i've been busy and i have lots of catching up to do.

guess what Brooklyn??? im going to NYC for thanksgiving. hehehe im excited.

anyways. anything new about HP?

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.