The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3720
Brooklyn
Now I remember! I tied the butterbeer recipe with cream soda- it actually tasted pretty good! well, it tasted like cream soda with a sense of butterscotch- the trick seemed to mix Smuckers butterscotch topping with a little soda and put in the microwave for 30 seconds, then stir and add to a glass of cream soda- it foams up alot- I didn't try to add butter to it- I'll try that part tonight- I REALLY don't think it would work with root beer, but I'm going to try ginger ale next week- I htink that might take the sickly sweet part out :smile:

i tried the butterbeer recipe too! i used cream soda and microwaved tha and butter together. it tasted pretty yucky to me. but i didnt have honey to put in it. i might try it again your way.
Reply 3721
Arg! Philosopher's Stone!

We are not all english, so to me, it is socerer's stone.
Any thoughts on who ever plays Aragon playin Sirius?
Can someone fill me in on Draco's new look? (crosses fingers hoping it's not a bowlcut)
PRILB QOTD: Who was the best casting in the movies?
Reply 3722
Egan1
I didn't say anything about how they made their money, it's something I haven't considered in great detail.

Which book does it day that Voldemort had '13 years of rule'? I was thinking that while the Potters etc were at school he was probably just beginning to come to be known etc and to start openly terrorising etc, or maybe just that, we haven't seen that many flashbacks, and it's not like they'd be talking about Voldemort all the time. If you think about it- at school or when you were at school, you probably didn't focus a lot of conversation on terrorists etc.

Book four says :" You are merely naming death eaters who were aquiited of charges 13 years ago" wait no... that doesn't say how long he was in power, just the time since he fell
Reply 3723
GK1
i agree that the final battle wud be between harry/voldie, i was just wondering on the similarities and was thinking that neville has started gaining prominence in the last book. hence my idea on it being a quartet. of course, there is no female character in LOTR but for the lady of galadriel having a major character. guess tolkien has a lot to answer...

but what importance can neville have??? any ideas folkz!

GK1

I reckon that Neville will get his revenge on Bellatrix, and also the group thta went to the MOM will stay that way, and perhaps each of them will have a role to play. To be honest, I'm not sure that I see Lily quite as an auror, maybe more of a healer or something.
Btw, I'd be a birl of some kind. Would love to be a phoenix.
Reply 3724
Ha ha ha, can you send me a pic somehow???

My Head of Year (new this year) would be good I think. She's very similar to how I imagine her :P
ickle_katy
he will wake up and it'll all be a dream.

love Katy ***

ps. harry potter is the most rediculas waste of money i have ever seen, talk bout christmas being comercialized- u "fans" are stoopid.

Hey! I don't think Harry Potter is "rediculas" or a "waste of money". I suggest you take it back!
Reply 3726
PadFoot90
Arg! Philosopher's Stone!

We are not all english, so to me, it is socerer's stone.

Yes, but all the same. It's such a ridiculous translation. I don't understand why the publishers felt the need to change it. The Philosopher's Stone is an established 'myth' as it were. It's not something JK has created. Would the book not be just as enjoyable to the American audience if it were named the Philosopher's Stone?
Reply 3727
lavender
Ha ha ha, can you send me a pic somehow???

A picture wouldn't convey it. She's got the right sympering, highly irritating smile etc...
Reply 3728
Egan1
Yes, but all the same. It's such a ridiculous translation. I don't understand why the publishers felt the need to change it. The Philosopher's Stone is an established 'myth' as it were. It's not something JK has created. Would the book not be just as enjoyable to the American audience if it were named the Philosopher's Stone?

i know what you mean. some people don't know that the Philosophers Stone is a real myth and Nicous Flamae (sorry again about my spelling) is a real person (well in myth he is)

why are most people saying dragons and phoeixs for their patronus. i think you can only pick normal animals.
Reply 3729
Been playing catch up again, damn theives staeling the only coputer we're able to connect to the internet in my house!

Just a couple of questions, was Godric's Hollow the name of Lily and James' house or the village hwere they lived? It just seems quite a wizarding name (obviously) and we already know that Hogsmead is the only non-muggle settlement in the country, thats assuming they liled in the UK ofcourse!

Very glad someone pointed out about the Philosopher's stone, really don't see why it had to be changed in the first place, what was wrong with the original title?!

I'm definately agreeing that Aragon was how I'd pictured Sirius, but after seeing a picture of Gary Oldman looking damn sexy in another film I'm a bit more convinced. We have a life sized cut out of him in our kitchen, mmmmm!

I know this was discussed earlier, but I thought I'd add a twist to it, what would your boggart turn into, and how would you make it less scary? Personally I'd see burglers and I'd make them get burgled themselves to make them less scary.
Reply 3730
Btw, did anyone see on newround (source of all HP information!) last night that JKR was going to be in a Simpsons cartoon? Don't know when it was being shown in th US? Anyone seen it already? I'm just curious!

And what was this game thing? I'm very confused!

I think I might have asked this before, but does anyone know if John Williams has done the new HP soundtrack? From what I've heard of it from the trailer it didn't seem so much like his other work.
Reply 3731
i've asked about the simpsons in another topic, can the americans tell us what it was like.
Reply 3732
Congrats Magic101! NYC is the most beautiful place on earth right before Christmas- but I'll be missing the Macy's parade this year and heading to Boston for all that turkey--- mmm---

I haven't seen the Simpsons- does anyone know when it was going to be released?

I believe Williams is doing all the music for ALL the movies- but keep in mind he's already written all the themes for HP- his assistants can tweak it to fit each movie- I don't think he's writing NEW music for each film-
Reply 3733
OH- and have to admit- I'd never heard of Nicholas Flamel or the Philosopher's Stone before HP (then I looked them up)- in fact, when I heard "Socerer's Stone", it reminded me of that old story about the guy who says he has a magic stone that turns water into stew- then snidely gets people to keep adding things to make it "taste" better until he really does have a stew- you imagine my confusion.... :smile:

I think they should have left it Philosopher's Stone- there are plenty of other words they left that Americans don't understand- I've never heard "Wotcher" in my life- still not entirely sure what it means- I forget wht else, but pretty much anything Tonks says- :smile:
Reply 3734
sure Gary Oldham will be fine as Sirius- I think Viggo would have been great- but it would have been the exact same look- and I would have had trouble seperating the characters-
Reply 3735
Boggart- hmm- its easy to say you are scared of something, but is it what you are the MOST scared of? I don't know think I have any fears the boggart could "turn into"- maybe Bluebeard :smile: that story scared me as a kid-
Reply 3736
I think my biggest fear would be the same as Mrs. Weasley. I am still getting up at night and checking on my children.
Reply 3737
Brooklyn
OH- and have to admit- I'd never heard of Nicholas Flamel or the Philosopher's Stone before HP (then I looked them up)- in fact, when I heard "Socerer's Stone", it reminded me of that old story about the guy who says he has a magic stone that turns water into stew- then snidely gets people to keep adding things to make it "taste" better until he really does have a stew- you imagine my confusion.... :smile:

i remember that story. the Stone Soup it was called. It was a tramp who owned it and he got a bowl of soup out of an old woman who hated everyone.
Reply 3738
Brooklyn
I believe Williams is doing all the music for ALL the movies- but keep in mind he's already written all the themes for HP- his assistants can tweak it to fit each movie- I don't think he's writing NEW music for each film-

Ah, great, I'm a huge John Williams fan (almost as big on him as on Harry Potter!) and was really excited when I found out he was doing the film music, my two favourite things at once!
Reply 3739
Brooklyn

I think they should have left it Philosopher's Stone- there are plenty of other words they left that Americans don't understand- I've never heard "Wotcher" in my life- still not entirely sure what it means- I forget wht else, but pretty much anything Tonks says- :smile:

"Wotcher" just means "Hey, hows it going", something like that, its just a British dialect, really struggling to think where from though, possibly London/south sort of area. JKR does the same sort of thing with Hagrid, writes him so he speaks in an accent, like Roobie Coltrane does in the movie.

Latest

Trending

Trending