Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

ReputationRep:
    Wotcher is London talk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    Wotcher is London talk.
    Ah, I was kind of right then, I was getting some very strange looks in the computer cluster for saying it outloud over and over again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    why are most people saying dragons and phoeixs for their patronus. i think you can only pick normal animals.
    I have a thing for dragons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    I have a thing for dragons.
    Magical animals are blatantly just better than the boring normal ones! I'd like to think mine would be something good, like a horse, but it'd probably be something really rubbish, like a slug! How disappointed would you be if all your friends were producing really cool Patronus' and you produced a slug!

ReputationRep:
    heehee- I think the type of person whose Patronus would be a slug wouldn't be the type of person able to PRODUCE a patronus- make sense? And if a Patronus protects you from dementors, what would a slug do? Ooze all over it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brooklyn)
    heehee- I think the type of person whose Patronus would be a slug wouldn't be the type of person able to PRODUCE a patronus- make sense? And if a Patronus protects you from dementors, what would a slug do? Ooze all over it?
    tee-hee, can't imagine that :P but hey, what do you know? maybe it would grow into a really enourmous slug and scare the hell out of those demetors!

i think that I would be a fox or a dove... or any bird that is usually associated with someone wanting to break free from her cage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    Yes, but all the same. It's such a ridiculous translation. I don't understand why the publishers felt the need to change it. The Philosopher's Stone is an established 'myth' as it were. It's not something JK has created. Would the book not be just as enjoyable to the American audience if it were named the Philosopher's Stone?
    Probably when it was released as Philosopher's Stone, it wasn't that appealing. But by putting the word "Sorcerer" in, you'd look at the book in a different way. It catches the attention of readers who wanted something different. But the Philosopher's Stone title is definitely more appropriate. I mean, they included Nicolas Flamel, they should have included what he really tried to do.

ReputationRep:
    They couldn't have really gotten any more indepth on Flamel- I mean, think of the MILLIONS of stories like that shes hidden in the books- I think she should publish some sort of "How To" guide when she's done with the series- names, places, things- explaining where she got it all

ReputationRep:
    There was a book called The Magical World of Harry Potter which explained all the back storys.

Like the fact she Argus Flich's name from Greek legend. Argus was the man who had eyes all over his body.

ReputationRep:
    O.K., I dont know what Philosopher really means to the english, but in America, if you come out with a book about a Philosopher's stone, I probably wouldnt buy it.

Here, we think a philosopher is someone that talks all day, way above anyone elses understanding and can never really make up their mind.

Is the definition different in Europe???

(Original post by ditzy blonde)
    Been playing catch up again, damn theives staeling the only coputer we're able to connect to the internet in my house!

Just a couple of questions, was Godric's Hollow the name of Lily and James' house or the village hwere they lived? It just seems quite a wizarding name (obviously) and we already know that Hogsmead is the only non-muggle settlement in the country, thats assuming they liled in the UK ofcourse!

Very glad someone pointed out about the Philosopher's stone, really don't see why it had to be changed in the first place, what was wrong with the original title?!

I'm definately agreeing that Aragon was how I'd pictured Sirius, but after seeing a picture of Gary Oldman looking damn sexy in another film I'm a bit more convinced. We have a life sized cut out of him in our kitchen, mmmmm!

I know this was discussed earlier, but I thought I'd add a twist to it, what would your boggart turn into, and how would you make it less scary? Personally I'd see burglers and I'd make them get burgled themselves to make them less scary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leroylina)
    the map DOES show every person in hogwarts. and even if it didn´t, how does it decide who´s important and who´s not?
    harry wasn´t looking at the map carefully, just like he didn´t see peter. everytime harry looks at the map he checks for snape, mrs norris and filch, and once he finds them he puts the map away, its not like he stares at it for a long time...
    oooo i know! i bet the maurderers map only shows the people that Harry knows or knows well. then it wouldn't have every student or creature but all the teachers and staff. and it would also explain why it didnt show pettigrew (because harry never met him) or why it didnt show the real moody (because harry never knew the real moody). thats what i think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lavender)
    O.K., I dont know what Philosopher really means to the english, but in America, if you come out with a book about a Philosopher's stone, I probably wouldnt buy it.

Here, we think a philosopher is someone that talks all day, way above anyone elses understanding and can never really make up their mind.

Is the definition different in Europe???
    a philospher is in a sence someone who is very smart. but what we are saying is that there is a philosphers stone in myth. so it seemed pointless to change the name.

ReputationRep:
    Thats a good point, but Harry never knew Barty Crouch Jr. either, and it was him the map showed in Snapes office when Harry thought it was Barry Crouch Sr.

But I guess Harry did see him in that courtroom. Dont know. Weird??? Maybe the map just shows the people that Harry is looking for, like if he decided he was looking heirmone it would show her or something.

That, or it only shows people that are out to get you for breaking the rules!!!

(Original post by Magic101)
    oooo i know! i bet the maurderers map only shows the people that Harry knows or knows well. then it wouldn't have every student or creature but all the teachers and staff. and it would also explain why it didnt show pettigrew (because harry never met him) or why it didnt show the real moody (because harry never knew the real moody). thats what i think.

ReputationRep:
    OH James . . . . . . .

Ha ha ha
    thats so funny!

O.K. I gotcha on the Philosopher deal. Can you relay a link to the real story??

(Original post by Dude)
    a philospher is in a sence someone who is very smart. but what we are saying is that there is a philosphers stone in myth. so it seemed pointless to change the name.

ReputationRep:
    i don't reckon the map shows Everybody. otherwise it would show all the students in their towers. i believe it only shows important people and people who are moving towards the user.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    "Wotcher" just means "Hey, hows it going", something like that, its just a British dialect, really struggling to think where from though, possibly London/south sort of area. JKR does the same sort of thing with Hagrid, writes him so he speaks in an accent, like Roobie Coltrane does in the movie.
    how exactly do u pronounce "wotcher"?? im curious.

i like that word hehe now im gonna have to say it to some of my friends and see what they will say back to me. *runs to grab phone and call my friend*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lavender)
    OH James . . . . . . .

Ha ha ha
    thats so funny!

O.K. I gotcha on the Philosopher deal. Can you relay a link to the real story??
    Google search = lots

Para example - http://www.crystalinks.com/philosopherstone.html
    http://www.themystica.com/mystica/ar...ers_stone.html
    http://www.quackgrass.com/stone.html

how exactly do u pronounce "wotcher"?? im curious.

i like that word hehe now im gonna have to say it to some of my friends and see what they will say back to me. *runs to grab phone and call my friend*
    Like "Gotcha' " I think. I admittedly didn't know what it meant before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    like "Gotcha' " I think. I admittedly didn't know what it meant before.
    ohh ok thanks. i thought it might have been like wot-cher or something l really had no clue. oh btw i said to my friend: wotcher and she was like: huh? lol it was pretty funny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    i don't reckon the map shows Everybody. otherwise it would show all the students in their towers. i believe it only shows important people and people who are moving towards the user.
    but who´s important and who´s not?

ReputationRep:
    ohh ok thanks. i thought it might have been like wot-cher or something l really had no clue. oh btw i said to my friend: wotcher and she was like: huh? lol it was pretty funny.
    Well 'wot-cher' and 'wot-cha' (both very similar!)- I don't suppose it really matters- unless a Londerer an inform us otherwise.

Just sounds like watcher really.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.