Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

ReputationRep:
    isnt a sorcerer kinda like a wizard and a philosopher is a person who thinks about questions with no answer, like why are we here or somethin thik that. if any1s read shopies world thats about philosophy (sp?) so yea. . . ill shut up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Aren't a sorceror and a philosopher 2 totally different things?
    Yep.

It's just irritating considering the Philosopher's Stone is an established mystical object, and the translation does not carry that.

ReputationRep:
    That means that the meaning that J K Rowling had probably intended behind the title would be totally changed. Mind you maybe J K Rowling had a different reason behind the american version, as I guess she would have had to approve of the title.

ReputationRep:
    What is an Auror? I just can't figure it out. Is an Auror just a highly athouritative figure in the magical world? Those are some interesting theories, but where would Harry's scar go?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by othegodfather)
    What is an Auror?
    (if you ask on the main HP thread you'll keep the haters happier and get a better response)

'Dark wizard catcher'

ReputationRep:
    man, i don't post for 1 day and i have afew pages to catch up on.

i reckon since we have LOADS of posts here, we would have at least gotten one thing right about what happens at the end.

you can't have over 3000 posts and not get something right.

ReputationRep:
    I know we were talking about the map earlier, and I just ran across a place in book 5 where after a DA meeting Harry watches everyone leaving on the map to make sure they got back to their houses ok. So who knows how this thing works.

weird

ReputationRep:
    Ha ha, no i meant the real life Myth story, not the HP one. But thanks!!!

(Original post by ladyblitzer)
    Well, the Philosopher's stone was created by Nicolas Flamel. It was said to contain the Elixir of Life, and anyone who takes this (i just dunno how... swallow the whole stone?!) becomes immortal. In the first HP book, Voldemort was after the stone so he could be immortal and he could stop drinking unicorn's blood.

ReputationRep:
    Really??? Wow, that brings new meaning for me, so is this a true story, or urban legend, myth, ...........

(Original post by Brooklyn)
    no way- whenever I hear James Earl Jones voice I think Mufasa from the Lion King- its funny- the guy who plays Mufasa on Broadway sounds just like him hmmm - they would have to make the voice sounds snakelike and evil- I'll have to ponder on that one-

I don't think it would have made a huge difference if they had left the name as it was- JK even said that was a mistake- she won't be changing much else

A philosopher is not a writer or really smart person or someone who talks alot- a philosopher is someone who THINKS and creates theories- can be anything from the meaning of life to where we go when we die- or, in alot of cases, centers around ethics- Flamel was an alchemist who came across the text of a philosopher, which although it was written in some unknown language, he was suddenly able to understand- it showed him how to make the philosopher's stone, which was used to make the Elixir of life (immortality) and could also turn anything into gold- no story goes into the specifics of how- anyway- in truth he suddenly had a bunch of money and was very old when he "died"- however, the story of the stone had spread so much that people tore apart his house looking for it, then insisted on digging up his coffin to see if it was in there- what they found was......drumroll..... an empty coffin-

ReputationRep:
    hey, i think you guys got the ending i said wrong. THe story would still finish, but it would just be baby harry dreaming about what really happens
    Just to let u know, i saw a movie with Gary Oldman in it today, i guess i can almost kinda see him as Sirius

ReputationRep:
    Not to be mean, but I hope you are way off!!!!

So what movie was it???

I think he will make a good Sirius, I would have liked to see a better lupin though, Maybe that blond guy in A Beautiful Mind, you know his imaginary college roommate?? I dont know his real name.

(Original post by PadFoot90)
    hey, i think you guys got the ending i said wrong. THe story would still finish, but it would just be baby harry dreaming about what really happens
    Just to let u know, i saw a movie with Gary Oldman in it today, i guess i can almost kinda see him as Sirius

ReputationRep:
    Air Force 1. Most unrealistic movie ever, but it was good. He was a terrorist.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, Gary Oldham has been in so many movies, some great, some I didnt care for. I really like him as an actor.

A couple of good ones are Sid & Nancy (life story of Sid Vicious and the Sex Pistols) and he was considered as one of the best Draculas in Bram Stokers Dracula with Winona Ryder.

(Original post by PadFoot90)
    Air Force 1. Most unrealistic movie ever, but it was good. He was a terrorist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lavender)
    Not to be mean, but I hope you are way off!!!!

So what movie was it???

I think he will make a good Sirius, I would have liked to see a better lupin though, Maybe that blond guy in A Beautiful Mind, you know his imaginary college roommate?? I dont know his real name.
    Paul Bettany, he's in the new Russell Crowe movie, something about ships and sea battles, don't remember the name, he was Chaucer in A Knights Tale too. he's a fantastic actor, but I'm not sure he's how I would have imagined Lupin, too much of a joker and not compassionate enough for Lupin. Obviously I'm just going on the other films he's been in and he's an actor so could adapt to different parts, but still not quite right. I really can't think of anyone I would've picked to play Lupin.

ReputationRep:
    i know. Lupin is one of my fav characters.

ReputationRep:
    back to the maruaders map. i have a theroy.

the map shows the user what he/she wants to see. so when harry wanted to know if it was safe, the map would show him where all the teachers are, and if anyone was coming towards him. And when he wanted to see his fellow students from the DA, it would show them all heading back to their common rooms.

ReputationRep:
    Ya, I would have to say I agree with you!!!! There was still no real explanation on how Harry got the map back from Moody though. Was there? Or did I miss it!

(Original post by Dude)

the map shows the user what he/she wants to see. so when harry wanted to know if it was safe, the map would show him where all the teachers are, and if anyone was coming towards him. And when he wanted to see his fellow students from the DA, it would show them all heading back to their common rooms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)

maybe harry just isnt very observent (sp?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lavender)
    Ya, I would have to say I agree with you!!!! There was still no real explanation on how Harry got the map back from Moody though. Was there? Or did I miss it!
    I guess we can only guess how Harry got the map back. Maybe he got it back during one of the days after the Triwizard tournament when the days were a blur to him. I dunno
    Maybe Harry only mentioned what was important, and didn't mention everyone. But if the map showed evry single student in the school, every single time, the map would be packed. So maybe the map is one like the room of requirents.

ReputationRep:
    so it's like i said. the map shows the user what and who he wants to see.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.