The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** Watch

This discussion is closed.
Brooklyn
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Hey all! Been away for the holiday- Snowed in Boston, was glad to get back to NYC in time for tree lighting!

Book4- I heard they are doing it in one movie- I think it will be long, but worth it- I dont understand why they don't bring back the old fashioned intermission- Gone with the Wind and all those old musicals always had built in intermissions so people could get up and stretch, go to the bathroom, etc- I didn't think the first two were terribly long- and think of all the stuff they can cut out- all of Privet Drive, skim over the intro to the World Cup (instead of walking around for four chapters and buying trinkets, they could just go watch the game- they could shorten up the ball by alot- they can cut out alot of parts where Harry is just thinking- I thought they could have made the first two a little faster paced-
Brooklyn
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I googled pictures from #3, and either Rupert grew or they put lifts in his shoes, cause he looks much taller and ganglier- closer to what I imagined-
Brooklyn
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
it annoys me to death that Radcliffe's eyes are blue in the movies- and that his hair is so well combed- but other than that I think he was very good casting- and he was NOT cast because of his parents- of whom I htink only one is in the movie business- actually they almost wouldn't let him take the part because of the ensuing popularity-
Brooklyn
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
sorry- know this was a response to an old post but I was behind a bit- JK apprived the change to Sorcerer's Stone for the US editions because the publisher told her American children didn't know the whole Flamel story and wouldn't understand the title as connected to a movie about magic- which is true, but I dont htink a good enough reason- anyway- she said if she had the choice to make again, she wouldn't change it, but it was her first book, she hadn't hit it big yet-
ladyblitzer
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Dude)
that is a good idea, but even with an 1/2 hour break i dount that parents with want to spend a whole day at the cinema.
LoL. A whole day at the cinema

But I did like ditzy blonde's idea. It's the only way to get all the book 4 stuff in the movie. So, it's going to be like a theatrical play, wherin there's this 2 parts and there's a break/intermission between the 2 parts.
ladyblitzer
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by gwirion)
I only have to pay £2.50! wow that is cheap compared to what y'all paying!! Oh yeah, since this is a HP thread, my mates think I'm weird coz I think Snape is quite sexy, am I weird???? Please tell me I'm not, there must be someone else ??
You mean snape per se, or the actor? I do kinda like snape's character, but the actor... what do you mean sexy?! like model-like sexy? *shivers*
Apollo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ladyblitzer)
LoL. A whole day at the cinema

But I did like ditzy blonde's idea. It's the only way to get all the book 4 stuff in the movie. So, it's going to be like a theatrical play, wherin there's this 2 parts and there's a break/intermission between the 2 parts.
i dunno about that idea. I know i would nto want to wait a week to see half a movie, i mean i think the affect would wear off, espiecailly right in the middle of a good part, but is' the best (only) idea i have heard about it.
Dude
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Brooklyn)
sorry- know this was a response to an old post but I was behind a bit- JK apprived the change to Sorcerer's Stone for the US editions because the publisher told her American children didn't know the whole Flamel story and wouldn't understand the title as connected to a movie about magic- which is true, but I dont htink a good enough reason- anyway- she said if she had the choice to make again, she wouldn't change it, but it was her first book, she hadn't hit it big yet-
it wasn't just that. according to The Magical World of Harry Potter, they changed the title becuase it would sound more existing.
Xenon
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
I'm reading HP book 5 again, and realised that I must have passed over or not paid much attention to a part in the beginning. It's probably been mentioned before, but here goes. You know when Harry is behind the bush, hears the crack, and then bangs his head on the window, his uncle grabs him by the neck. Then when the pain at the top of Harry's head gave a really nasty throb,"his uncle yelped and realeased him as though he had released a nasty electric shock. Some invisible force seemed to have surged through his nephew, making him impossible to hold".
What caused this to happen? Did he have an invisible shield or something?
Dude
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Xenon)
I'm reading HP book 5 again, and realised that I must have passed over or not paid much attention to a part in the beginning. It's probably been mentioned before, but here goes. You know when Harry is behind the bush, hears the crack, and then bangs his head on the window, his uncle grabs him by the neck. Then when the pain at the top of Harry's head gave a really nasty throb,"his uncle yelped and realeased him as though he had released a nasty electric shock. Some invisible force seemed to have surged through his nephew, making him impossible to hold".
What caused this to happen? Did he have an invisible shield or something?
could be the same reason quirrel couldn't touch him in book 01. cos harrys mothers love is in his very skin.
Xenon
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dude)
could be the same reason quirrel couldn't touch him in book 01. cos harrys mothers love is in his very skin.
It hadn't happened before book 5!
Dude
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Xenon)
It hadn't happened before book 5!
yer, it had. don't u remember how harry killed quirrel in the first book.
Xenon
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dude)
yer, it had. don't u remember how harry killed quirrel in the first book.
No, I mean, it hasn't happened with his uncle before. All of the times he has dragged Harry out or something, it hasn't happened.
Magic101
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Xenon)
No, I mean, it hasn't happened with his uncle before. All of the times he has dragged Harry out or something, it hasn't happened.
maybe it is another one of those wandless magic things.
Xenon
Rep:
?
(Original post by Magic101)
maybe it is another one of those wandless magic things.
I was thinking along those lines too. Maybe it's another clue as to the power of Harry. I mean we don't see many wizards who can controllably do powerful spells or magic, do we?
Egan1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I dont understand why they don't bring back the old fashioned intermission- Gone with the Wind and all those old musicals always had built in intermissions so people could get up and stretch, go to the bathroom, etc-
Funny you should say that. We were in Lyme Regis (if you know it) when the first film was released. -They had preview showings and, although we'd already booked to see it on the premiere night with the whole family, me and my parents went to see it.
They have a cinema that is basically never very crowded - normally there's only around 10/15 people in there. We were stunned to arrive and find mass cues- the place was nearly full...certainly more seats taken than not. Anyway- there we were watching and suddenly this incredibly dated intermition thing came up on screen and gave everyone the chance to go out and get ice creams/use the loo etc. It was quite amusing and very abrupt- there was no warning and half the people weren't back in the room when it started up again.

American children didn't know the whole Flamel story
Neither do British children! It's not some old English folktale we're told from infancy. I didn't know it either, twas my brother who informed me later- probably when I inquired about it after reading it (my mum picked it up unknowingly from somewhere far before the big 'hype' broke out).
Apollo
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I am reading the part when they are in the department of mysteries. Remember when they first walk into the room with the veil? as soon as they get in, they find the veil is falpping, like someone just went through it. Then only harry and luna hear the voices, and they were the only ones to have had or seen a death. We already knew this, but who had gone through the veil, or y was it moving if u can't go through is without dying? Also, hermoine was only one who seemed to think it was dangerous.
Also, when they look at the prophecy, it says S.P.T to A.P.W.B.D, do we know what this stands for? because S.P.T stands for sibll (p?) treelany, and A.P.W.B.D stands for Albus Percival Wolfric Brian Dumbldore. Did we already know this or did i figure it out?
And when harry wants to take down the prophecy, neville tells him not too, like he knows something bad would happen. So wait... taking it down if it is not ur's makes u go crazy right? So maybe bellatrix could have tortured nevill's parents to go and get the prophecy, hoping they would find out wheter it really meant harry or neville, and since it was not about them but maybe about their son, they could not touch it! So maybe the prophecy really does affect neville!! am i making sense?
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
i get your gist, but still disagree. it would be just like jkr to put a word like "equal" in there and allow everybody to interpret it the same way - only to be wrong. Ask yourself this - if dumbledore knows what he thinks he knows, where's the surprise? No, I think jkr is setting up an ending that not even dumbledore would have predicted. that might eventually be his own undoing... The prophecy never said that they would actually BE equal either.

Notice, it said only that vold. would mark him as that. He could have marked neville as an equal by attacking his parents, or in some other way. Notice also that neville is becoming quite adept at using defense magic - with the help of harry. He has two more books to improve even more. No, I remain convinced that the greatest twist of all will be that, when readers fininsh book 7 they will realize that the whole series might as well be entitled Neville Longbottom as opposed to Harry Potter.

harry did ask why vold. didn't wait to see who was stronger. remember what dumbledore said? he said that that may have been the more prudent thing to have done, but that vold. didn't do it. By the way, the prophecy talks about the boy having powers that "the dark lord knows not." What powers does Harry have that vold. doesn't know about, really? none. who might have powers that vold. doesn't know about? neville. just food for thought.

PR
I'm just wondering. Has anyone given thought to Harry joining the dark side? The books do seem to resemble many aspects of Star Wars. Noting that I can't stand the Star Wars saga, it struck me that the gifted youngster may be attracted to the power Voldemort has. Rowling is well known for her 'red herrings' as seen in previous posts, can anyone give me an answer on this one?
Apollo
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
yes i thought about it... seems possbile
Magic101
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by PadFoot90)
Also, when they look at the prophecy, it says S.P.T to A.P.W.B.D, do we know what this stands for? because S.P.T stands for sibll (p?) treelany, and A.P.W.B.D stands for Albus Percival Wolfric Brian Dumbldore. Did we already know this or did i figure it out?
we were told what the initials stood for at the end of the book. and the p in S.P.T. stands for....*goes to look for book 5* hmmmm....i dunno what it stands for. i couldn't find it when flipping through the pages. i dont really have time to keep looking for it now cuz i have to get ready for bed. errr i have school tomorrow. well i will find out and let u know tomorrow hopefully. but i am positive it tells us in the book what the initials stand for.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (294)
26.11%
Yes - they're famous (286)
25.4%
No I don't (546)
48.49%

Watched Threads