Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

ReputationRep:
    ohh btw. i was looking at some HP sites and something interesting came up about movie 4.
    it says the following:
    "Concern is also growing that the fourth book, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, is, at 734 pages, too long to fit into a single film without risking alienating the series's fanatical fans by having to cut key scenes and plot developments.

Steve Kloves, who has adapted all the books so far, has indicated that it may be best to split the fourth into two, filming them simultaneously and releasing them in the same calendar year."

well im not sure if they are definately going to make in in two parts but they are certainly thinking about doing that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    Neither do British children! It's not some old English folktale we're told from infancy. I didn't know it either, twas my brother who informed me later- probably when I inquired about it after reading it (my mum picked it up unknowingly from somewhere far before the big 'hype' broke out).
    i knew about it. i got told the story of Niclous Famel (CAN'T SPELL, AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRHHHHHHHH) in primary school when we were studing chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    Also, when they look at the prophecy, it says S.P.T to A.P.W.B.D, do we know what this stands for? because S.P.T stands for sibll (p?) treelany, and A.P.W.B.D stands for Albus Percival Wolfric Brian Dumbldore. Did we already know this or did i figure it out?
    do be honest i didn't care about them. good job on noticed that though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magic101)
    ohh btw. i was looking at some HP sites and something interesting came up about movie 4.
    it says the following:
    "Concern is also growing that the fourth book, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, is, at 734 pages, too long to fit into a single film without risking alienating the series's fanatical fans by having to cut key scenes and plot developments.

Steve Kloves, who has adapted all the books so far, has indicated that it may be best to split the fourth into two, filming them simultaneously and releasing them in the same calendar year."

well im not sure if they are definately going to make in in two parts but they are certainly thinking about doing that.
    they should do that. most of the senes in the first two films were rushed. the main on being the burrow in CoS. thats one of my favorite chapters in the book and it lasted 2 minutes in the film.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    they should do that. most of the senes in the first two films were rushed. the main on being the burrow in CoS. thats one of my favorite chapters in the book and it lasted 2 minutes in the film.
    yeah... even in book 1! they didn't show the potions part on the way to the sorcerer's stone. arrrrg.

(Original post by Padfoot90)
    Also, when they look at the prophecy, it says S.P.T to A.P.W.B.D, do we know what this stands for? because S.P.T stands for sibll (p?) treelany, and A.P.W.B.D stands for Albus Percival Wolfric Brian Dumbldore. Did we already know this or did i figure it out?
    wow good job! i'm not sure if it did show up in the book though. did it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    No, I mean, it hasn't happened with his uncle before. All of the times he has dragged Harry out or something, it hasn't happened.
    Well, maybe coz Vernon held him in the neck and was probably going to choke him already, and i guess that's different from just dragging Harry around

ReputationRep:
    maybe it was a case of harry doig magic again without meaning too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    maybe it was a case of harry doig magic again without meaning too.
    What are the instances wherein Harry did magic without a wand? Hmm... we should enumerate, and see if there is a really really big possibility of wandless magic.

I can only remember the time when he made the glass disappear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    do be honest i didn't care about them. good job on noticed that though.
    I remember spotting it at the time, well, once I'd finished the whole book and Dumbledore had done his whole revelattion thing.

Did everyone else notice the number for the Ministry of Magic 62442 spells magic on a phone pad?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladyblitzer)
    What are the instances wherein Harry did magic without a wand? Hmm... we should enumerate, and see if there is a really really big possibility of wandless magic.

I can only remember the time when he made the glass disappear.
    I think thats a really good idea, there was a big discussion about Harry using wandless magic in a final battle or something, but we don't even know if it even exists and if a wizard is able to do it consciously (sp!).

A couple of examples are mentioned in book1, like when Harry had a bad haircut and made it grow back, or when Aunt Petunia was trying to force him into a really minging jumper and it shrank, or when he was running away from Dudley and he was suddenly on the school roof. I can't really think of anytimes it happened after he found out he was a wizard tho.

ReputationRep:
    http://farshid.netfirms.com/harry/index.htm

I have seen that too many of you are worried about searching for book copies while u r on the post. the above link was what i stumbled across from google. has all the books typed out neatly chapterwise.

Thought that it would be a useful link for all the people who want to add something from the book to quote.

about movie 4, i do not think that the movie would be in a position to do justice to lots of 'harry thinking' scenes. of course, being the visual media they can do with the quidditch world cup scenes fast since it takes a lot to describe in written form and the same can be made effective with a couple of seconds on movie. but one thinking and feeling something needs a lot to convey in the visual media. somehow dan fitted the image i had of harry completely so did not think too much on that. but the eye colour is something that irritated me. i thought even book 1 was clear about harry's green eyes. blue eyes???? yuck...

GK1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    I think thats a really good idea, there was a big discussion about Harry using wandless magic in a final battle or something, but we don't even know if it even exists and if a wizard is able to do it consciously (sp!).

A couple of examples are mentioned in book1, like when Harry had a bad haircut and made it grow back, or when Aunt Petunia was trying to force him into a really minging jumper and it shrank, or when he was running away from Dudley and he was suddenly on the school roof. I can't really think of anytimes it happened after he found out he was a wizard tho.
    you seem to be forgetting the most famous one. where he blew up his Aunt Marge in PoA. (i've just finished book 3 again)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    you seem to be forgetting the most famous one. where he blew up his Aunt Marge in PoA. (i've just finished book 3 again)
    D'oh! How could I forget that! Must've been trying to hard to think of the obscure! (Thats my excuse anyway and I'm sticking to it!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    D'oh! How could I forget that! Must've been trying to hard to think of the obscure! (Thats my excuse anyway and I'm sticking to it!)
    lol, don't worry. i thought off all of the ones you thought of at first, then i remembered the evil AUNT MARGE. i can't wait to see her in the movie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GK1)
    http://farshid.netfirms.com/harry/index.htm

I have seen that too many of you are worried about searching for book copies while u r on the post. the above link was what i stumbled across from google. has all the books typed out neatly chapterwise.

Thought that it would be a useful link for all the people who want to add something from the book to quote.

about movie 4, i do not think that the movie would be in a position to do justice to lots of 'harry thinking' scenes. of course, being the visual media they can do with the quidditch world cup scenes fast since it takes a lot to describe in written form and the same can be made effective with a couple of seconds on movie. but one thinking and feeling something needs a lot to convey in the visual media. somehow dan fitted the image i had of harry completely so did not think too much on that. but the eye colour is something that irritated me. i thought even book 1 was clear about harry's green eyes. blue eyes???? yuck...

GK1
    That'd be a really useful link, thanks.

Couldn't believe that they films got something so simple as Harry's appearance wrong, and it would've been so easy to fix, I mean, how much effort would it have been to mess his hair up abit and give him contact, thats one of the things that annoyed me most in the first film, coming a close second to Hagrid's hut, he obviously lives in a WOODEN hut, as Hermione says in book 1 at Norbert's hatching "but Hagrid, you live in a wooden hut" which was one of the reasons he couldn't keep Norbert!

I'm sure the person in charge of that sort of thing hadn't even read the books!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    lol, don't worry. i thought off all of the ones you thought of at first, then i remembered the evil AUNT MARGE. i can't wait to see her in the movie.
    I know, I'm intriged (sp!) to see Pam ferris play someone evil, I only remember her in The Darling Buds Of May and Where The Heart is, playing nice mumsy characters!

ReputationRep:
    i seem to imagine aunt marge almost like patricia routledge. altho more evil than she is in keepin up appearances

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    I checked whether it was wandless... and indeed it was. But i don't think that wandless magic can be done by anything. I think that it needs a really strong feeling... well, in Harry's case, he had been extremely angry before he was able to do all those stuff. Is that the only sign of "wandless magic" that Harry showed after finding out that he was a wizard?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moochy)
    i seem to imagine aunt marge almost like patricia routledge. altho more evil than she is in keepin up appearances
    Who'se patricia routledge and who's pam ferris? Is pam ferris Miss Trunchbull in Matilda?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladyblitzer)
    Who'se patricia routledge and who's pam ferris? Is pam ferris Miss Trunchbull in Matilda?
    thats what i was going to say. is the person who will play Aunt Marge, the Trunchbull in Matilda. she would make a perfect aunt marge.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.