The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** Watch

This discussion is closed.
Brooklyn
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Pam Ferris was in Where The Heart Is? As who? I somehow missed her entirely- must have been a small part- if you look up the pictures of the new movies they show the blown up Aunt Marge flying into the sky- apparently blowing up your aunt and having her bobbing about the ceiling wasn't dramatic enough- but the pics are funny-
Brooklyn
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
thought of a couple other English to English translations it took me awhile to get- "Snog" and "Fussed" (although I got the latter pretty quickly) but 'snog' took me awhile- I had some image of a really wet hickey on someones cheek while making a snorting noise
Dude
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Brooklyn)
thought of a couple other English to English translations it took me awhile to get- "Snog" and "Fussed" (although I got the latter pretty quickly) but 'snog' took me awhile- I had some image of a really wet hickey on someones cheek while making a snorting noise
you didn't know what snogging ment? i personally have never used that term.
kcoverst
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Xenon)
I'm reading HP book 5 again, and realised that I must have passed over or not paid much attention to a part in the beginning. It's probably been mentioned before, but here goes. You know when Harry is behind the bush, hears the crack, and then bangs his head on the window, his uncle grabs him by the neck. Then when the pain at the top of Harry's head gave a really nasty throb,"his uncle yelped and realeased him as though he had released a nasty electric shock. Some invisible force seemed to have surged through his nephew, making him impossible to hold".
What caused this to happen? Did he have an invisible shield or something?
Did we already discuss this or did I read somewhere else that it was some type of protection. His Uncle had never really tried to kill Harry until this time. I can't remember if I read this from an Interview or somewhere else it sounds familiar.
Brooklyn
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
why would I? I've never heard the term around here- I'd imagine its a UK specific term-
Brooklyn
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
BTW- the PERFECT Butterbeer recipe-

scoop three large spoonfulls of Nestle's Butterscotch topping (mean for ice cream) into a small dish- add a tablespoon of soft butter (not margerine- I use Brummel and Brown) and a small splash of cream soda- mix together, microwave for 40 seconds- fill a standard glass half full of cream soda- pour butterscotch mixture into glass, stirring CONSTANTLY so it mixes instead of clotting- there will be ALOT of foam- fill the rest of the glass with cream soda while stirring-

Variations- add a bit of milk to make creamier- or, to serve warm, mix all the ingredients in a saucepan for a few minutes, but be warned, this will eliminate the carbonation, although retain some of the foam.

Try it! It's good!
Ditzy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Pam Ferris was in Where The Heart Is? As who? I somehow missed her entirely- must have been a small part- if you look up the pictures of the new movies they show the blown up Aunt Marge flying into the sky- apparently blowing up your aunt and having her bobbing about the ceiling wasn't dramatic enough- but the pics are funny-
Where The Heart Is is a tv show in the uk, its sunday night feel good tv, and Pam Ferris plays the local community nurse, kind of more like a Mrs Weasley character.
Ditzy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
why would I? I've never heard the term around here- I'd imagine its a UK specific term-
I didn't realise snog was such a specific term, you would've thought that they would've changed it for the Anerican version then, put kiss of something instead. (btw, for anyone who hasn't caught on, snog is british **** for kiss, but its not really a "cool" term any more)
Dude
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ditzy blonde)
I didn't realise snog was such a specific term, you would've thought that they would've changed it for the Anerican version then, put kiss of something instead. (btw, for anyone who hasn't caught on, snog is british **** for kiss, but its not really a "cool" term any more)
yer, these days u say "getting off", "neckin" and the classic "tongue wreasel"
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
awww c'mon, what ever happened to the legendary 'tonsil hockey'?
Brooklyn
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
oh great- didn't mean to start THAT discussion Here we stick to "Making out" or "hooking up" (although the later can mean more than kissing)

Sorry about the confusion- Where The Heart Is is a cute movie over hear with Natalie Portman about a girl who lives in Walmart briefly-

I don't really see JK using "tongue weasel" or the others But Hermione said "Did you kiss", which made it a little more clear to me when Ron followed with something about snogging-

If Hogwarts is in Scotland, how come they use more English words and people than Scottish?
Ditzy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
oh great- didn't mean to start THAT discussion Here we stick to "Making out" or "hooking up" (although the later can mean more than kissing)

Sorry about the confusion- Where The Heart Is is a cute movie over hear with Natalie Portman about a girl who lives in Walmart briefly-

I don't really see JK using "tongue weasel" or the others But Hermione said "Did you kiss", which made it a little more clear to me when Ron followed with something about snogging-

If Hogwarts is in Scotland, how come they use more English words and people than Scottish?
IT never says Hogwarts is in Scotland, its just kind of assumed coz its north, and snows there! I think Hogwarts had students from all over the uk and Ireland, purely because its the only magical school around, It think its JKR just hasn't written any specifically scottish characters into the books, although in the film Oliver Wood had a lovely Scottish lilt.
Brooklyn
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I guess I just assumed because of the movies- and the places they mention always seem to be England, but then again I don't really know England at all-

Wood is a hottie
kikas
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ditzy blonde)
IT never says Hogwarts is in Scotland, its just kind of assumed coz its north, and snows there! I think Hogwarts had students from all over the uk and Ireland, purely because its the only magical school around, It think its JKR just hasn't written any specifically scottish characters into the books, although in the film Oliver Wood had a lovely Scottish lilt.

Hey!!!
God...it's been ages since I didn't come here!!!!!
I'm sorry that I didn't come somer...but I had a lot of testes...sorry!!

I always thought that hogwarts was in Scotland because in the book it said nort of england...so I always thought that!!!!
I remember I read a news, about the filmings of the movie of hp3, it was on scotland, if I am not wrong...in the nort of england in some castel...afther that I had no doubts that hogwarts was in Scotland...but of course it's only an ideia!

good to be back!!!
leroylina
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by kikas)
Hey!!!
God...it's been ages since I didn't come here!!!!!
I'm sorry that I didn't come somer...but I had a lot of testes...sorry!!

I always thought that hogwarts was in Scotland because in the book it said nort of england...so I always thought that!!!!
I remember I read a news, about the filmings of the movie of hp3, it was on scotland, if I am not wrong...in the nort of england in some castel...afther that I had no doubts that hogwarts was in Scotland...but of course it's only an ideia!

good to be back!!!
welcome back Kikas!!!
lavender
Report 15 years ago
I think its more of when Harry is very hurt or angry that the heat scorches through his body and hurts his enemy. Just like in the end of the first book. It happened again maybe in the 3rd book?? cant remember where, but I think that is all it is. No other significance.

(Original post by kcoverst)
Did we already discuss this or did I read somewhere else that it was some type of protection. His Uncle had never really tried to kill Harry until this time. I can't remember if I read this from an Interview or somewhere else it sounds familiar.
Shaft
Report 15 years ago
i always thought it was supposed to be unplottable - so like you couldn't plot hogwarts on a map in scotland?
Xenon
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by lavender)
I think its more of when Harry is very hurt or angry that the heat scorches through his body and hurts his enemy. Just like in the end of the first book. It happened again maybe in the 3rd book?? cant remember where, but I think that is all it is. No other significance.
IS VOLDEMORT ONLY ABLE TO KILL HARRY? THEN MAYBE THE PROTECTION OR A SHIELD COMES INTO PLAY WHEN THERE IS A CHANCE THAT SOMEONE ELSE WILL KILL HIM. BY THE WAY, SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS; MY KEYBOARD'S A LITTLE MESSED UP.
Shaft
Report 15 years ago
or maybe dumbledore cast a charm over him, protecting him when in danger - he cast the charm thet meant Umbridge had to let go of CHo's friend in the office (end of book 5)
Brooklyn
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
the prophecy doesn't really say no one can kill Harry but Voldie- just that neither can live while the other survives- but I htink there is just some sort of natural wizard protection, cause Neville bounced after all- and Hagrid didn't seem to think the Potters could be killed in a car crash- maybe wizards can only die from something magic- like a spell or magical ailment-
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1463)
79.6%
Leave (375)
20.4%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed