Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eric bischoff)
    not a very good 1 because they were killed
    They were killed because they were up against a very good wizard. Wands had nothing to do with it. Voldie had killed many before them, regardless of their wands. You don't have any defence against a killing curse, not unless you have the same core of thewand, like Harry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    I wonder what type of a wand James and Lily had!

Mr. Olivander says so in the first book.

"Ah yes," said the man. "Yes, yes. I thought I'd be seeing you soon. Harry Potter." It wasn't a question. "You have your mother's eyes. It seems only yesterday she was in here herself, buying her first wand. Ten and a quarter inches long, swishy, made of willow. Nice wand for charm work."

"Your father, on the other hand, favored a mahogany wand. Eleven inches. Pliable. A little more power and excellent for transfiguration. Well, I say your father favored it -- it's really the wand that chooses the wizard, of course."

The last little bit about Harry's father favoring his wand and Olivander saying that the wand chooses the wizard, makes me think that this wand wasn't suited for James, but he wanted it anyway. I wonder what kind of problem this could have caused. Maybe if his wand had choosen him he would have had a better chance at defending himself and Lilly against Voldie atleast until Lily could get away with Harry.

ReputationRep:
    Mr. Ollivander told Harry exactly wat type of wands his parents had-

I wonder what wand lengths have to do with the person- we know how swishy or rigid it is (depending on the wood type) has to do with what magic they will be good at- and the core has something to do with their magical strength (he said Harry's was very powerful), but they never mention what importance the length is-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    They were killed because they were up against a very good wizard. Wands had nothing to do with it. Voldie had killed many before them, regardless of their wands. You don't have any defence against a killing curse, not unless you have the same core of thewand, like Harry.
    well they shouldnt of let him do that curse

ReputationRep:
    Remember that Lupin madeye...ANd everyone tell Harry that call them?How will he call them?By telephone?I dont think so!And if how?I dont think they have a phone!and they didnt even tell him the p.no.IF was to call!I dont understand :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prongs_TheGreat)
    Remember that Lupin madeye...ANd everyone tell Harry that call them?How will he call them?By telephone?I dont think so!And if how?I dont think they have a phone!and they didnt even tell him the p.no.IF was to call!I dont understand :confused:
    hedwig the owl.Use the post

ReputationRep:
    OOps,I totally forgot! He can post them!God! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering why do James and his gang call Snape[I]Snivelly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kcoverst)
    Mr. Olivander says so in the first book.

"Ah yes," said the man. "Yes, yes. I thought I'd be seeing you soon. Harry Potter." It wasn't a question. "You have your mother's eyes. It seems only yesterday she was in here herself, buying her first wand. Ten and a quarter inches long, swishy, made of willow. Nice wand for charm work."

"Your father, on the other hand, favored a mahogany wand. Eleven inches. Pliable. A little more power and excellent for transfiguration. Well, I say your father favored it -- it's really the wand that chooses the wizard, of course."

The last little bit about Harry's father favoring his wand and Olivander saying that the wand chooses the wizard, makes me think that this wand wasn't suited for James, but he wanted it anyway. I wonder what kind of problem this could have caused. Maybe if his wand had choosen him he would have had a better chance at defending himself and Lilly against Voldie atleast until Lily could get away with Harry.
    Oh whoops, forgot about that. Should get back to rereading the books again! Thanks! Good point about James. If thatwere true, then that's where Harry gets his stubbornness from. Also, if that's true, then James' being stubborn might have helped lead to his downfall. So if that's the case, I hope that Harry stops being so stubborn before that leads him to his downfall. Good choice of words from J K Rowling if thatis the case. Hm, imagine if you were told that you would either be murdered or have to kill someone else. Btw, do you guys think that Voldie will be killed, or will suffer a fate worse than death. I'm wondering cos of what Dumblydore said. i mean the prophecy said that one can't live while the other is alive but I dunno. Cos there are some fates where you're alive but not really alive (like having soul sucked out). Sorry about the long post and the muddle of it; just putting down thoughts coming into my head!

ReputationRep:
    Unless Hedwig gets intercepted and killed on the way to elivering the letter. Not that I'd want it to happen! Maybe Snape had the misfortune of often crying when the Mauraders were around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Unless Hedwig gets intercepted and killed on the way to elivering the letter. Not that I'd want it to happen! Maybe Snape had the misfortune of often crying when the Mauraders were around.
    you can always hope it happens

ReputationRep:
    I dont think he was saying Jame's wand didn't pick him, I htink he was saying that he should say a wizard "favored" a wand- also, I doubt that creepy little man would let anyone take the wrong wand

ReputationRep:
    Of your 260 posts how many were on this thread Brooklyn? You do realise that this is a UK Student forum don't you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brooklyn)
    I dont think he was saying Jame's wand didn't pick him, I htink he was saying that he should say a wizard "favored" a wand- also, I doubt that creepy little man would let anyone take the wrong wand
    well we no that from when he was talking to harry

ReputationRep:
    Maybe there was more than one wand which picked James. So maybe he had a choice of which wand to choose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    Of your 260 posts how many were on this thread Brooklyn? You do realise that this is a UK Student forum don't you?
    umm- and your problem would be?

ReputationRep:
    I meant the whole quote "Your father favored.....well, I say your father favored, but its the wand who chooses the wizard"- I dont think he meant that James had multiple wands or choose the wrong wand- I think he meant that he used the phrase "your father favored" but it was actually James' wand that favored him-

kind of like if I said "Melissa tended to like the yellow cat", then stopped and said "well, I say Melissa tended to like, but really the cat tended to like Melissa"- ok that still doesn't make sense does it

ReputationRep:
    I meant the whole quote "Your father favored.....well, I say your father favored, but its the wand who chooses the wizard"- I dont think he meant that James had multiple wands or choose the wrong wand- I think he meant that he used the phrase "your father favored" but it was actually James' wand that favored him-

kind of like if I said "Melissa tended to like the yellow cat", then stopped and said "well, I say Melissa tended to like, but really the cat tended to like Melissa"- ok that still doesn't make sense does it
    I was reading it as, James wanted that wand because it looked cool or something, but it wasn't necessarily the perfect wand for him. I am sure that any wand will do, look at Ron's wand it was a hand me down so it didn't work very well for him, but after he got one that fit him he hasn't had much problem.

Look at it this way, someone may think they love you but you just don't feel the same way. You see what I mean.

ReputationRep:
    I dont think that james chose his wand and in reading what the wand seller says, it is plain that he just was saying that , that particular wand worked well with James. I think you guys are reading way to much into this bit.

(Original post by Xenon)
    Oh whoops, forgot about that. Should get back to rereading the books again! Thanks! Good point about James. If thatwere true, then that's where Harry gets his stubbornness from. Also, if that's true, then James' being stubborn might have helped lead to his downfall. So if that's the case, I hope that Harry stops being so stubborn before that leads him to his downfall. Good choice of words from J K Rowling if thatis the case. Hm, imagine if you were told that you would either be murdered or have to kill someone else. Btw, do you guys think that Voldie will be killed, or will suffer a fate worse than death. I'm wondering cos of what Dumblydore said. i mean the prophecy said that one can't live while the other is alive but I dunno. Cos there are some fates where you're alive but not really alive (like having soul sucked out). Sorry about the long post and the muddle of it; just putting down thoughts coming into my head!

ReputationRep:
    whew, that took a while. 11 pages to read through.

the whole James wand thing. James loved the wand because it was a powerful one, but the wand does choose the wizard, so in a way, they chose each other.

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.