Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

ReputationRep:
    It is the HP thread- but we all get excited about other things too I can't wait to see LotR as well, but I'm waiting to go see it with my sister and father-

I don't know- wouldn't SOMEONE have mentioned to Harry that the feast had something to do with him beforehand? He's been happily celebrating it all these years-

I know because its the witches, etc holiday it would be big- I just think its odd they've never really discussed it- from my experience, the things she kind of skirts over end up being important, and the things she dwells on aren't important at all- like all those little clues on Ginny in Chamber of Secrets- no one would EVER suspect her- but there were a couple little things we just took for granted and ignored- like her looking sick- everyone else was sick too, so we missed that clue- I feel like Halloween (or something else) is being taken too much for granted

ReputationRep:
    I would imagine they dont have any differences than muggles on God, etc- that isn't really wand power- I dont think it would disagree with wizarding ideas at all- maybe they think Jesus was a wizard- hence all the miracles- but they still could think he was the son of God, etc etc- they definately believe in prophets- I dont think its to much of a stretch-

as for Christmas- remember alot of them are part muggle in some way- they would bring their holidays with them-

and no, they dont have a feast like the Halloween one any other time (except start and end of the year)- Easter is a vacation, as is Christmas, and they've never mentioned any other holidays- actually, I wondered why they hadn't mentioned July 4th or Thanksgiving, then I remembered--- duh-- those are American holidays

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brooklyn)
    I would imagine they dont have any differences than muggles on God, etc- that isn't really wand power- I dont think it would disagree with wizarding ideas at all- maybe they think Jesus was a wizard- hence all the miracles- but they still could think he was the son of God, etc etc- they definately believe in prophets- I dont think its to much of a stretch-

as for Christmas- remember alot of them are part muggle in some way- they would bring their holidays with them-

and no, they dont have a feast like the Halloween one any other time (except start and end of the year)- Easter is a vacation, as is Christmas, and they've never mentioned any other holidays- actually, I wondered why they hadn't mentioned July 4th or Thanksgiving, then I remembered--- duh-- those are American holidays
    what i think is really cool and should be included is the salem witches institute

the american version right?

so maybe the americans have a school to and they unite with hogwarts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Hey lady blitzer, can you send me the address' for the sites for the HP fanart please. Ok guys I'm off for 2-3 weeks, so you lot had better keep this thread going. darn, I reckon thatI'll have quite a lot of pages to read when i come back.
    Damn- have been busy the last few days and only just read the posts.

It's too late now but have a great time wherever you're going.

Sorry I didn't get back to your PM, I started looking for links and then went to find pictures I had saved and then ended up completely reorganising tons of files and folders etc. Then I got sent a suprising number of other PMs and never got round to replying to yours- my appologies! If you still want one- is there a particular character you'd like?

---

As for Hogwarts holidays, I think one of the good things about HP is it doesn't go into religion etc.
    Personally I feel Christmas has become somewhat a national holiday in it's own right. It originated from Christianity and is obviously still very much a religious festival, but is also a time enjoyed by people of other beliefs etc.
    The holidays just sink in with holidays of other schools. If you think about it- Dumbledore is making it easier for people to interact etc. -Also means families who are split- eg, like Harry's mum and his aunt, perhaps there are many others who have siblings elsewhere, they can get together over these joint holidays.

---

I'm really not explaining myself very well *sigh*.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    Oh, come on.

JK Rowling is writing a kids' book. Of course the most important day at Hogwarts is going to be the day devoted to Witches, Wizards, Ghosts and all of that.

There could be another significance of the day though, but only for coincidence.

Also, don't they celebrate Christmas? I'm interested how JKR believes the beliefs of these wizards fit in with Christian beliefs. It'd probably be something like God is an impersonal force and Jesus Christ was the first person to find out how to use it and teach people how to be wizards. Why else would they celebrate Christmas? Wouldn't wizards have their own explanation of the Universe?
    i think they do celebrate Christmas. Remember Harry and Ron greeting each other and getting presents? Hogwarts just don't have big celebrations because everyone goes home to their families. The concept of Jesus in the Christmas that JK shows in the books does not appear though.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah u r right
    And I need to change my signature,cause it lotr is released.I dont know what to puT!
    ------------
    We have discussed this before-
    Taht something is connected to all the books,And it might be important for the next books.
    What if it is 'Halloween'

ReputationRep:
    hi
    near the end of the 4th book harry is telling dumbledor about the potion vol. used to restore himself and how vol could now touch harry. the book says " for a fleeting instant, harry thought he saw a gleam of something like triumph in dumbledors eyes."
    this confused me, does anyone know what it means?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tessie)
    hi
    near the end of the 4th book harry is telling dumbledor about the potion vol. used to restore himself and how vol could now touch harry. the book says " for a fleeting instant, harry thought he saw a gleam of something like triumph in dumbledors eyes."
    Welcome!
    We can just guess abt that Now Voldie has got some blood of harry,right?So i think he might be thinking that it might be esiear to kill him or something like taht-Is it proper what I am saying.I dunno! :confused:
    Yeah it is confusing! Dumblydorr is very unique so who knows what he was thinking at that time

ReputationRep:
    i have a question on hp 2 chamber of secrets.How come Harry is the only one who can here or speak parseltongue but when he,ron and professor Lockhart asked moaning Myrtle how she died she said she heard someone speaking a funny language.It was the snake so how come she heard the snake speak if she cant speak parseltongue?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eric bischoff)
    i have a question on hp 2 chamber of secrets.How come Harry is the only one who can here or speak parseltongue but when he,ron and professor Lockhart asked moaning Myrtle how she died she said she heard someone speaking a funny language.It was the snake so how come she heard the snake speak if she cant speak parseltongue?
    They can hear the snake just cant understand it hence 'funny language'... i think...it was ages ago I read Mr Pothead myself....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nafisa)
    They can hear the snake just cant understand it hence 'funny language'... i think...it was ages ago I read Mr Pothead myself....
    they cant hear the snake because when harry 1st hears it he asks people if they heard it and they all go heard what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tessie)
    hi
    i think it was discussed somewhere in the 230+ pages of this thread I forgot what answers came up, but personally, I'm confused as well. Couldn't decipher whether dumbledore had the gleam of triumph in favor of Harry or of Voldie.

But it was also established that Dumbie cannot turn bad, coz if he did, then no one can be trusted anymore... and this is a children's book after all.

ReputationRep:
    It's possible that it wasn't the snake that Myrtle heard speaking, but Riddle instead. Isn't it that at that time, Riddle was trying to open the chamber? So there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladyblitzer)
    It's possible that it wasn't the snake that Myrtle heard speaking, but Riddle instead. Isn't it that at that time, Riddle was trying to open the chamber? So there
    but she said when she opened the door she seen yellow eyes which killed her and i dont think riddle had eyes like that serpent which could kill her.

ReputationRep:
    but she said when she opened the door she seen yellow eyes which killed her and i dont think riddle had eyes like that serpent which could kill her.
    by that time, riddle must've opened the chamber, thus the basilisk unleashed. soooo... while she was in her bathroom, riddle was trying to open the CoS while speaking in parseltounge, which explains the funny language. but before she went out, the basilisk, which was already out, got her (explains the yellow eyes)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladyblitzer)
    by that time, riddle must've opened the chamber, thus the basilisk unleashed. soooo... while she was in her bathroom, riddle was trying to open the CoS while speaking in parseltounge, which explains the funny language. but before she went out, the basilisk, which was already out, got her (explains the yellow eyes)
    oh.thanks

ReputationRep:
    What exactly is the point of Harry Potter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    What exactly is the point of Harry Potter
    something good to read and watch instead of the usual rubbish films and books.

ReputationRep:
    something good to read and watch instead of the usual rubbish films and books.
    Ok - I read the first two HP books before you had even heard of JK Rowling and they are good but they do not justify the entire craze over them. Have you read other books like Malorie Blackman's book Noughts and Crosses or the Hobbit by Tolkein or War nad Peace by Tolstoy, all are as good if not better.

btw the films are crap

(Original post by rachelina*)
    Wasn't that Beatrix lady AWFUL? When I was reading the battle scene I was just WAITING for her to die. I think she may actually play a bigger part in either book 6 or 7. JK Rowling seemed to be building her up.
    Which couple is better? Harry and Cho or Harry and Ginny? I want Ginny and Harry to get together! [I'm like this with TV Shows as well, I want the Nick and Sarah ppl in CSI to get together]
    Ooh and who thinks Ron has a crush on Hermonie?
    To replay to your question about which couple is better . I dont see Harry and Cho getting together , I see Harry and Luna ending together , Ginny and Neivel Longbottom, and Ron with Hermonie.

for whats its worth from an american reader.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.