Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

Announcements

Wow my 1st post hi everyone
    Here are my predictions

6th book
    1. We will see more of Umbridge (unfortunately) Luna Lovegood (love her character) Neville and Ginny.
    2. McGonogall we be determined to help Harry become an auror while Snape (much to his dismay) will carry on teaching Harry acclumency.
    3. I think it’s plausible that Fleur or maybe Arbeforth may become the new DADA teacher. - I mean Lockheart got the job after all and it would probably result in the return of DA, which was great!
    4. Percy will eat his words
    5. Wormtail will pay his debt to Harry.
    6. At some point Harry will save Draco Malfoys life. It may sound stupid but bear with me. - In the 3rd book Dumbledoor tells Harry that James and Snape despised each other just like Harry and Draco. He also said that James did something unforgivable. He saved Snape's life. I just think that it could be foreshadowing.
    7. Fred and George’s joke shop will get raided.
    8. A Weasley will die.
    9. We will find out more about Harry's parents - maybe how they got all their gold. Personally I think Lily was a spy just like Snape.
    10. The black house will belong not to Harry but the Order.

7th book
    1. All hell will have broken loose at Azkaban.
    2. Another Weasley will die, or Hagrid - who will leave everything to Harry apart from his Giant - that will go to Hermione.
    3. There will be a huge duel/ war between good and bad. Teachers, order and DA will take on voldie, death eater’s, giants and dementors.
    4. Dumbledoor will duel with tom while Harry will duel with Lestrange but Neville will finish her off to get revenge for his parents. Harry will watch Dumbledoor die and take voldy on himself. It will involve that room somehow.
    5. Mcgonagall will take over as head mistress at Hogwarts. - She will offer the DADA position to Harry but he will decline, deciding to become an auror. So the position will go to Snape.
    6. Ron will finally ask Hermione out. (were you all joking about Ron being gay because he clearly has a crush on Hermione... or krum... wait this is all starting to make sense!)
    7. I hope that there will be a cure for Neville’s parents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *R2K*)
    Hagrid - who will leave everything to Harry apart from his Giant - that will go to Hermione.
    He wont leave his giant to anyone- it's a (well not a person but) being/human-like creature -he is not something that Hagrid owns, he is his brother- he is not, and Hagrid doesn't consider him, a pet or possetion...
    Welcome to the forum...

Egan

ReputationRep:
    I reckon that Draco might have a choice as to whether to chose to side with Harry or with Voldie, and will eventually chose to be on the good side. This could be as a result to Harry saving Draco's life.
    I still don't know why people asume that Felur might become the DADA teacher. I mean she didn't exactly do brilliant in the tasks in the 4th book. I reckon Dumbledore could do a lot better than having her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    I reckon that Draco might have a choice as to whether to chose to side with Harry or with Voldie, and will eventually chose to be on the good side.
    Hmmm...I'm sure that a few years ago someone told me JK had said that- although I'm sure she didn't but I remember someone telling me...?! If he does chose good it'll be interesting to observe his relationship with his deatheater father...

ReputationRep:
    i'm not sure but did JK ever say how james saved snapes like...i'd like to know what exactly happened...maybe harry would see it in snapes penseive

CR

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CR3)
    i'm not sure but did JK ever say how james saved snapes like...i'd like to know what exactly happened...maybe harry would see it in snapes penseive
    We are told briefly about it in the 3rd book- Sirius plays a joke on Snape- I think he tells him how to get past the whomping willow or something so that he will go and find werewolf-lupin in the shrieking shack- but James finds out and stops him- atleast I think tha's what occurs, but I'm relistening to it now so I'll be able to repost in a while if I've got it wrong...

ReputationRep:
    Thay's a good question Xenon, how much did lily and james know? I think that dumbledore would have told them all of it, so more people could help protect harry the best that they could. I mean, if voldemort knew, surely harry's own parents would know. I also think there is a clue, that many people are overlooking. When voldemort comes to their house, james says " lily take harry and run". He is doing two things. One, he is saving the son he loves and two, he is saving the future of wizards. (good at least). Then after voldemort kills james, he finds lily. She says " take me, just dont hurt harry". She is also trying to do the same two things james was. She is willing to sacrifice herself so harry can live. I think she is doing it out love AND the future of good wizards. Consider this: Voldemort had no intentions of killing lily and james (although i am sure he did not mind doing it) that night. He cleary went there just to kill harry because 1: he could have sent the death eaters to kill lily and james, and 2: only he could kill harry prophecy). But i think we already knew this right?

ReputationRep:
    I think lily and james had very important jobs. I bet they both worked in the ministry. We know james was an exceptianly strong wizard. We know this because in one of the voldemort/harry fights, he says to harry " your father put up quite a struggle". You would have to incrediably strong to put up quite a fight against voldemort, and have voldemort admit it. I know everyone is going to yell at me for this, but i think lily and possibly james were death eaters (that is how james learned the spells to put up a fight against voldemort) but then they turned on voldemort. Although, the more probable reason james knew all those spells was dumbledore taught them in the order. so maybe james was not a death eater, but what about lily??

(Original post by SiriusFan)
    Thay's a good question Xenon, how much did lily and james know? I think that dumbledore would have told them all of it, so more people could help protect harry the best that they could. I mean, if voldemort knew, surely harry's own parents would know. I also think there is a clue, that many people are overlooking. When voldemort comes to their house, james says " lily take harry and run". He is doing two things. One, he is saving the son he loves and two, he is saving the future of wizards. (good at least). Then after voldemort kills james, he finds lily. She says " take me, just dont hurt harry". She is also trying to do the same two things james was. She is willing to sacrifice herself so harry can live. I think she is doing it out love AND the future of good wizards. Consider this: Voldemort had no intentions of killing lily and james (although i am sure he did not mind doing it) that night. He cleary went there just to kill harry because 1: he could have sent the death eaters to kill lily and james, and 2: only he could kill harry prophecy). But i think we already knew this right?

One thing you're missing though. The stuff you mentioned could just as easily be attributed to parents protecting their offspring. I think the biggest clue that JK has given us, was when (I think it was book three) we found out about wormtail's betrayal. Nobody could get into the house without the password (or whatever) so, james and lily had to know as did Sirius and Wormtail (I'm sure lupin did as well).

Enjoy!

Peter

ReputationRep:
    The prophecy says that "either must die at the hand of the other". Does that mean that noone else can kill either of them? That ould mean that they would be basically immortal unless they kill each other. Is thhis the only way they can die? It doesn't make sense as Harry could have died many times during the 1st 5 years, not directly at the hand of Voldie. Is it just meant to be that somehow Harry had to be rescued else the prophecy is untrue? I'm confused.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Xenon] It doesn't make sense as Harry could have died many times during the 1st 5 years, not directly at the hand of Voldie. [QUOTE]

I think that is the main point. Harry could have died plenty of times, but he never did. Maybe that is the point trying to made, meaning that the only way harry can die is at the hands of Vold.

ReputationRep:
    Peter the Great, with all do respect, i think you should re-read book 3 and my post, because i did say it could have just been because of love, but i think it was cleary both. (saving the one who could kill voldemort).

ReputationRep:
    Xenon, i am also confused about the prophecy, but i think harry and voldemort can be killed by others, because why would voldemort be afraid of dumbledore? unless we dont know the reaon yet..........

It will be very interesting to see if JKR kills dumbledore. We know that he is the only one voldemort fears, but she mentions that so much, it seems like she is leading up to a very dramatic death for dumbledore. Then think harry will become the only one voldemort fears. Imagine the reaction if dumbledore dies..... the order without a leader..... hogwarts without a headmaster..... fudge without anyone to look up to...... and no one in the order is even close to being as skilled as dumbledore. If dumbledore dies, it looks pretty bleak for the order.

ReputationRep:
    Well I think Dumbledor will die but I should think it'll be in the last book...possibly/probably near the end...

ReputationRep:
    Xenon, i am also confused about the prophecy, but i think harry and voldemort can be killed by others, because why would voldemort be afraid of dumbledore?
    Yeah, I was also wondering about that. I mean, why would Voldie fear Dumbledore if he can't kill him. I've come up with an idea about that. When Dumbledore is up against Voldie, Voldie asks him,
    "you do not seek to kill me Dumbledore"
    After rereading this part, it seems that Voldemort doesn't know that only Harry can kill him, which is funny as Dumbledore knows this. You look at what Dumbledore tells Harry-he says that Voldie only knows the beginning of the prophecy, meaning that he does not know that only Harry can kill him, and believes that Dumbledore is a big threat. Therefore, Dumbledore is and will always remain the one Voldie fears. Voldie's lack of knowledge of the prophecy could prove to be an advantage. Dumbledore said that there are other ways of destroying a man. I think that Dumbledore is capable of doing this, without actually killing him.
    About J K Rowling killing off poor old Dumbledore, I don't think that she would dare do this until the end of book 6 or thereabouts. Then again, I'm probably wrong. I mean he is absolutely essential to the book, so hopefully J K Rowling will at least not kill him off till book 6 if she were going to do so. He still has way too much knowledge about life and magic to pass on to Harry. Maybe harry will eventually become head of the order if he survives.

ReputationRep:
    I think HP is quite entertaining, but do you read proper (as opposed to children's) books as well?

ReputationRep:
    You know, some childrens books aren't too bad. I quite like Artemis Fowl! But harry potter is really one of a kind, I reckon. For one thing, the hype is mad (and annoying). They should never really have made it into a movie though.

Peter the Great, with all do respect, i think you should re-read book 3 and my post, because i did say it could have just been because of love, but i think it was cleary both. (saving the one who could kill voldemort).
    Whoa, hold on now, that wasn't a cut at you. I didn't say that it wasn't "love" or whatever. In one of the books (I thought it was three) they explained that there was a charm on the hiding place where James and Lily were with Harry and that only a few people knew how to get in. Wormtail was the one that they trusted with the password and he betrayed them. C'mon, someone back be up here. Someone else has to remember this, it was a crucial part of the book (I think book 3).

Peter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    You know, some childrens books aren't too bad. I quite like Artemis Fowl! But harry potter is really one of a kind, I reckon. For one thing, the hype is mad (and annoying). They should never really have made it into a movie though.
    I agree...I think a lot of so called 'children's books' are very good- just because they are of a style that allows young people to read and understand them shouldn't have to mean they cannot be enjoyed by adults- Harry Potter being an excellent example of this...but yes the hype is extreme and the merchandising cringe-worthy...
    I greatly dislike the films although after the books popularity I suppose they were inevitable *sigh*...but I'm sure they could have made a slightly better job of it?! I have a friend who hasn't read any of the books and doesn't want to because she doesn't think she'll like them- but she has enjoyed the films which I think are shite! I wish she would try them because I think she'd like them...and I almost feel sorry for JK and sort of defensive of the books because I think when my friend thinks of HP she'll think of the films when the books are so much better (if you get what I mean from the last few sentences!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    there was a charm on the hiding place where James and Lily were with Harry and that only a few people knew how to get in. Wormtail was the one that they trusted with the password and he betrayed them. C'mon, someone back be up here. Someone else has to remember this, it was a crucial part of the book (I think book 3).
    Not sure what point you are proving here but you are correct...

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.