Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rgennrich)
    To replay to your question about which couple is better . I dont see Harry and Cho getting together , I see Harry and Luna ending together , Ginny and Neivel Longbottom, and Ron with Hermonie.

for whats its worth from an american reader.
    luna? - what has she done

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    Ok - I read the first two HP books before you had even heard of JK Rowling and they are good but they do not justify the entire craze over them. Have you read other books like Malorie Blackman's book Noughts and Crosses or the Hobbit by Tolkein or War nad Peace by Tolstoy, all are as good if not better.

btw the films are crap
    so did i......i read them in about 2nd grade, and i luved them! hoe can you even say tolkien compares? he writes history books.....not fiction! btw this is a HARRY POTTER FAN thread, so if you are NOT a fan then dont go on it!

ReputationRep:
    i started reading them just when the CoS came out. so i was a fan before she was world famous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    i started reading them just when the CoS came out. so i was a fan before she was world famous.
    im in 9th grade now, just to give you perspective

when i was in second grade no1 had heard of her

ReputationRep:
    i've just been on mugglenet in the mistakes part and it says there is an illustration mistake in book five. as this must be an american site, does taht mean that u guys get illustrations in ur books.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    i've just been on mugglenet in the mistakes part and it says there is an illustration mistake in book five. as this must be an american site, does taht mean that u guys get illustrations in ur books.
    only on the top of each chapter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curryADD)
    only on the top of each chapter
    man, i feel sorry and jelous about the fact that we don't have it (both for the same reason). sorry because we have the small advantage of having to use our imaginations for everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    man, i feel sorry and jelous about the fact that we don't have it (both for the same reason). sorry because we have the small advantage of having to use our imaginations for everything.
    hi dude how have you been?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    the pics are really awesome

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eric bischoff)
    hi dude how have you been?
    i've been alright. how have u been?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    i've been alright. how have u been?
    fine thanks havent seen you in a while

ReputationRep:
    hmm, philosopher's stone was first published in 1997 in England and CoS in 1998, i bought them around september 1998 as the 2nd had just come out and she came and signed it and no one had heard of her. Did the US really ahve it released same time as UK?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    hmm, philosopher's stone was first published in 1997 in England and CoS in 1998, i bought them around september 1998 as the 2nd had just come out and she came and signed it and no one had heard of her. Did the US really ahve it released same time as UK?
    no.....one of me buds from the uk at the time loaned it to me!

ReputationRep:
    no.....one of me buds from the uk at the time loaned it to me!
    strange, i didnt think so. Ahh well, i read them originally within about a week (im a fast reader) and couldn't wait for the third to come out. At the time i didn't understand how comes the third made such a fuss and then there were record sales and stuff and she cancelled the signing at the book store where i had got the first two (both signed). I was upset, at least she came for the fourth.

If whoever that was thinks Tolkein is history (i suppose you never heard of Tolstoy then), it looks like they believe HP is reality, they best go back to school.

ReputationRep:
    im in 9th grade now, just to give you perspective

when i was in second grade no1 had heard of her
    that sucks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    strange, i didnt think so. Ahh well, i read them originally within about a weel (im a fast reader) and couldn't wait for the third to come out. At the time i didn't understand how coes hte third made such a fuss and then there were record sales adn stuff and she cancelled the signing at the book store where i had got the first two (both signed). I was upset, at least she came for the fourth.

If whoever that was thinks Tolkein is history (i suppose you never heard of Tolstoy then), it looks like they believe HP is reality, they best go back to school.
    no no no i meant tolkien writes like one would a history textbook, i should have been more specific

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tessie)
    hi
    near the end of the 4th book harry is telling dumbledor about the potion vol. used to restore himself and how vol could now touch harry. the book says " for a fleeting instant, harry thought he saw a gleam of something like triumph in dumbledors eyes."
    this confused me, does anyone know what it means?
    it also explains a great deal within the chapter where voldie is getting his body back. he says that he had paid too much for immortality but for the present he wud satisfy himself with a mortal body and then proceeds to take the flesh, blood, dust, etc to get his body. the gleam of triumph in dumbledore's eyes is only coz of the fact that voldie can now be killed as he cannot openly do anything to achieve immortality.

i do not believe that there is anything more to harry's blood than the fact that voldie can now touch harry and not experience any pain in doing so. voldie now believes harry to be defenseless since he shares the blood, probably there might be more to it than the blood factor.

GK1

PS: A merry christmas and a very happy new year to one and all. enjoy the holidays.

ReputationRep:
    Remember at the end of the second movie when dumbledore says he hopes no more of volde's old relics come back to hogwarts, that brings up a good point. Volde must have tons of dark magic relics. What othre types of things do you guys think he has?

Happy Holidays!!

ReputationRep:
    Back to the LOTR thing, whoever said it is right, the third movie is AWESOME!!

Hey eric, can i be on ur signature list?

ReputationRep:
    *sobs*

Just wrote a nice long reply and got some uk-l error sign up, clicked back and it was all gone...damn this thing!

Basically said (in a more inflated manner and probably with a lot more said)
    to JSM- I read the first book in 1997 when my Mum randomly bought it home. Not that when people first read it really matters.

to Padfoot- 'Remember at the end of the second movie...' "Hogwarts is no place without you Hagrid" *stabs self in eyes*

'...when dumbledore says he hopes no more of volde's old relics come back to hogwarts, that brings up a good point. Volde must have tons of dark magic relics. What othre types of things do you guys think he has?'
    Interesting point, hadn't really considered. Don't think it's the type of fantasy where wizards have staffs. And an epic sword battle (as much as I love swords) would be a wee bit cheesy. Something to ponder me thinks.

If this doesn't post I am going to be extremely put out!

Bah!

Egan

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.