Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

ReputationRep:
    what do you think?

"Drooble's Best Blowing Gum is an anagram of Gold bribe below St. Mungos

Very interesting...in book 5, Neville's Mum gives him a gum wrapper. Is she passing on an important message?"
    (from mugglenet.com)

ReputationRep:
    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all ...

going away for the weekend. wud catch up later...

GK1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leroylina)
    what do you think?

"Drooble's Best Blowing Gum is an anagram of Gold bribe below St. Mungos

Very interesting...in book 5, Neville's Mum gives him a gum wrapper. Is she passing on an important message?"
    (from mugglenet.com)
    i donot think so. the mirror of erised was "desire" spelt backwards. they have an overworked imagination and the result is gold below...

GK1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curryADD)
    no no no i meant tolkien writes like one would a history textbook, i should have been more specific
    I want your history text books , they sound cool. Have you read all of the Lord of the Rings, cos if not I don't thin you can pass judgement and if you have wtf are you on? Ahh well i liked HP when i was younger, but i have kinda grown out of it as i find her writing style far too simplistic and the stories are just going way too broad. It's like if I wrote a book.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GK1)
    i donot think so. the mirror of erised was "desire" spelt backwards. they have an overworked imagination and the result is gold below...

GK1
    i just thought it was interesting.....it amazes me how people spend so much time trying to find anagrams like that one. but it is a strange coincidence.

ReputationRep:
    Woah! So many replies!

I think it would be interesting if Harry died, because you get too many books with happy endings. But I don't think he will though because I can't imagine a film which little kids (and grown ups, don't get me wrong) watch to have the main character that they've gorwn to love, die suddenly. That might be kinda mean. I wouldn't care though! I'm not a Harry fan, anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    I want your history text books , they sound cool. Have you read all of the Lord of the Rings, cos if not I don't thin you can pass judgement and if you have wtf are you on? Ahh well i liked HP when i was younger, but i have kinda grown out of it as i find her writing style far too simplistic and the stories are just going way too broad. It's like if I wrote a book.
    thats what u think. the books are still fantastic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    Are you saying that your writing could rival JK's? If so I'd very much like to read some of your work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    Are you saying that your writing could rival JK's? If so I'd very much like to read some of your work.
    have you actually looked at the books, some of her ideas were original but her writing style is pants and very childish. Open a random page in any of her books and look at the vocab, the structure, even the book structure. In no way is it a great work of art.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    have you actually looked at the books, some of her ideas were original but her writing style is pants and very childish. Open a random page in any of her books and look at the vocab, the structure, even the book structure. In no way is it a great work of art.
    do u think it's because she orginally wrote it for 11-15 yr olds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    do u think it's because she orginally wrote it for 11-15 yr olds.
    actually she aimed it at a younger age audience, i think twas about 9 -12 yr olds, if i first read them now, then no way would i have gone on to read the next. Age 11/12 they were good, book 1 was the best and they have gone downhill, no. 1 she got lots in without overloading you going up to book 5 where it is just not really a nice story anymore. (btw i dont care about the length, i read really fast). And she claims she wanted harry to grow up with her audience but her writing is statying the same.

When i met her first, b4 bk 3 (around release of no.2, i dont think she had that much of an idea about what was happening next and then now she claims she knew all along)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    have you actually looked at the books,
    Clearly.
    (Original post by JSM)
    her writing style is pants and very childish
    I disagree. She's written books that appeal to people of a massive age range, she clearly has a talent for which you are determined to give her no credit.
    (Original post by JSM)
    Open a random page in any of her books and look at the vocab,
    Actually I've observed that there is quite a lot of more advanced/adult vocab used in the books. Certainly a few words here and there I wouldn't expect the younger audience to know, but pervayed in a way that allows understanding.
    (Original post by JSM)
    When i met her first, b4 bk 3 (around release of no.2, i dont think she had that much of an idea about what was happening next and then now she claims she knew all along)
    Perhaps you care to give further detail on your meeting. Can you recall what was said?
    I don't see that it should really matter whether or not the story was planned out originally but why would she claim it was if it was not so? Ever since I got to know the books as it were, and JK started giving interviews it was made clear the series was going to comprise of 7 books. If you're going to have an absoulte plan such as this then it follows that she'd have an idea of what was going to happen in these books.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    I don't see that it should really matter whether or not the story was planned out originally but why would she claim it was if it was not so? Ever since I got to know the books as it were, and JK started giving interviews it was made clear the series was going to comprise of 7 books. If you're going to have an absoulte plan such as this then it follows that she'd have an idea of what was going to happen in these books.
    no i cant recall what was said, I was about 11 at the time but i had a nice conversation with her whuile she was signing the books as no one had ever heard of her and the bookshop staff were being very supportive. Lol, i met her twice since then anyway, and thats without me going miles out of my way or queing for ages. I dont know if she hadnt planned it, she just was very vague about what was happening, I just find it strange now her saying it was planned all along. Especially seeing as she wasnt sure about the books being a success?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    Oh, come on.

JK Rowling is writing a kids' book. Of course the most important day at Hogwarts is going to be the day devoted to Witches, Wizards, Ghosts and all of that.

There could be another significance of the day though, but only for coincidence.

Also, don't they celebrate Christmas? I'm interested how JKR believes the beliefs of these wizards fit in with Christian beliefs. It'd probably be something like God is an impersonal force and Jesus Christ was the first person to find out how to use it and teach people how to be wizards. Why else would they celebrate Christmas? Wouldn't wizards have their own explanation of the Universe?
    I kinda got the impression that wizards celebrated pagan rituals, like Halloween, and Christmas, which it is believed is partially derived from the pagan winter solstace

ReputationRep:
    Yay, I got a CoS trivia game for Christmas, needless to say I won, my family didn't stand a chance against me, would've been so gutted if I lost!

ReputationRep:
    all those theories are complete rubbish 'cept for neville teaching herbology. thats just OBVIOUS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    so what if the writing style is childish? for the umpeenth time, the fact that the book appealed not only to JK's intended audience, but also to older people (i'm a first year college student) makes the book a great book. that's what me thinks, anyways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladyblitzer)
    so what if the writing style is childish? for the umpeenth time, the fact that the book appealed not only to JK's intended audience, but also to older people (i'm a first year college student) makes the book a great book. that's what me thinks, anyways.
    the only reason it appeals to older students is that it is a children's book that you can get away with being seen reading. Most adults enjoy other children's books, eg when they read them to their children.

ReputationRep:
    What I don't like about breaks is that I stay at my grandparents' house... it's not that I don't like my grandparents. Our PC just doesn't have internet access!!! Grr!!! I don't know what I'd do without net acces...

Anyway, I guess everyone's been busy or away for the holidays. I can't believe it's been three days since my last post and there were only 1 or 2 pages added.

Belated Merry Christmas and Happy New Year in advance!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    the only reason it appeals to older students is that it is a children's book that you can get away with being seen reading. Most adults enjoy other children's books, eg when they read them to their children.
    You think THAT's the only reason? Talk about hasty assumption. Maybe you think that everyone has the same POV as you

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.