Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Hmmm, why would they put a statue of a houseelf up? Is it because tjhere was a famous one or something. MAybe there was a downfall of their status or something.I don't reckon that there is a connection with the masters, because some like Dobby were only loyal to their masters cos they had to be. Dobby had a lot of control of his powers. Maybe they increase with their emotions. The 2 sets of powers seen by house elves have been Dobby keeping away Malfoy, and Winky keeping crouch.
    YOu remeber in describing all the creatures they were all looking up at the witch and wizard with looks of adoration on their faces. I think that the statue was showing that all non wizard creatures were inferior to witches and wizards and there for needed to look for guidance from wizards. How's that.

ReputationRep:
    hey guys!

OMG guess what i just heard on the radio!?! the radio guy said that Mr. Bean (i forget his real name) is going to be playing Lord Voldemort in the new Harry Potter movies.

is that crazy or what? i mean Mr. Bean is funny and i just can't see him playing the most evil guy in the books.

im gonna go check to make sure that is who the radio ppl were talking about. i'll let u guys know if i hear anything else about it.

ReputationRep:
    ok i just looked up something on the internet about Mr. Bean playing the part of Voldemort. so i guess that it's true. hmm....

ohh yea and the Mr. Bean guy...his real name is Rowan Atkinson.

i dont know what else he has been in except for some funny detective movie...

ReputationRep:
    Umm.. If you'd care to read a bit further you'll find that Atkinson's agent or manager or whatever has said that the rumors are false. Just cos 2 papers reported on it people assumed it was true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magic101)
    ok i just looked up something on the internet about Mr. Bean playing the part of Voldemort. so i guess that it's true. hmm....

ohh yea and the Mr. Bean guy...his real name is Rowan Atkinson.

i dont know what else he has been in except for some funny detective movie...
    he isn't playing him. they just thought they did. Here is a link to prove it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/wo...00/3376933.stm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brooklyn)
    in the fountain, there was a wizard, a witch, a goblin, a houself, and a centaur, right? I wonder how they got those particular types together- maybe there is some wizarding world legend about them?

Do you think Hagrid can go back to school?
    maybe it's to show coperation between the wizarding community.

Hey, maybe it's to show the great races of the wizarding world. Wizards, Goblins, Centaurs, Houseelfs. They are all very intelliant (some more than us) and pocess magical powers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    he isn't playing him. they just thought they did. Here is a link to prove it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/wo...00/3376933.stm
    Wow, Newsround, the fountain of all my knowledge!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kcoverst)
    YOu remeber in describing all the creatures they were all looking up at the witch and wizard with looks of adoration on their faces. I think that the statue was showing that all non wizard creatures were inferior to witches and wizards and there for needed to look for guidance from wizards. How's that.
    House elves are always looking up to their masters and have to be extrememly loyal to them. So therefore many would look at the wizardsand witches with adoration. Does that mean that centaurs are inferior from wizards? But they don't seem prepared to take much advice from the witches and wizards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)

Hey, maybe it's to show the great races of the wizarding world. Wizards, Goblins, Centaurs, Houseelfs. They are all very intelliant (some more than us) and pocess magical powers.
    I guess that the wizarding world needs all of these creatures there in order to function properly. Maybe it's like having different classes in the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)

It was called the Fountain of Magical Brethren or something very similar, so I think you might be right, thats how I read it anyway, that it was symbolising magical unity

ReputationRep:
    I get the magical unity, but what about merpeople? They are smart as well- or unicorns? I guess I'm just wondering why they choose those particular types-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    House elves are always looking up to their masters and have to be extrememly loyal to them. So therefore many would look at the wizardsand witches with adoration. Does that mean that centaurs are inferior from wizards? But they don't seem prepared to take much advice from the witches and wizards.
    I didn't explain it well. I think that the wizards put the fountain up and it's the wizards that view themselves as better than the other magical creatures. The centaurs are angry with the wizarding community bcs the centaurs are made to be inferior by wizards, House elves are raised believing that only wizards are to be obeyed so they do and don't ask questions. The fountain was a lie and when it got destroyed the lie got distroyed now maybe the wizarding community can start working together.

The Mr. Bean thing is just too scary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kcoverst)
    The Mr. Bean thing is just too scary.
    LOL. The first time I read that piece of rumor on the net, about Rowan Atkinson playing Voldemort, I was like, "How can you manage to get scared of the Dark Lord if looking at him alone would make you laugh?" You can just imagine... Voldemort... doing all those Mr. Bean silly stuff. Heheheh!

ReputationRep:
    heehee- if you could pick anyone to play Voldie, who would you pick? I don't know many British actors- was the time he was in the back of Quirrel's head animatronic or was that an actor?

ReputationRep:
    heehee- if you could pick anyone to play Voldie, who would you pick? I don't know many British actors- was the time he was in the back of Quirrel's head animatronic or was that an actor?
    It was animatronic, does anyone remember the kids tv program from years ago in the uk, The Demon Headmaster? Well I'd have that guy (haven't got a clue what his name was) playing Voldemort, he was well scary!

ReputationRep:
    I get the magical unity, but what about merpeople? They are smart as well- or unicorns? I guess I'm just wondering why they choose those particular types-
    I wonder if its got anything to do with whats classed as beast and being, theres an explaination about it in the Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them, but it basically says that centaurs were given beast status because they refused to be classified as beings when the Wizard's Council were trying to draw up guide lines to manage magically beasts. Don't really remember what it said, can't find my copy at the minute....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    It was animatronic, does anyone remember the kids tv program from years ago in the uk, The Demon Headmaster? Well I'd have that guy (haven't got a clue what his name was) playing Voldemort, he was well scary!
    I can't find his name but I know who you're talking about.

I don't know who I'd pick.

---

I think it'd be quite interesting if the no so called 'house' elves had once been a superior race, on level with, or beyond mankind. For some reason they were dying out- whether through war or some other means, and either lost some powers or were becoming exstinct. Humans (for some, probably malicious, reason of their own (or just to have power over them)) did some sort of deal with the elves that they would give their service to humans in return for ...(?) something (life/health etc). Over the centuries they have been treated as slaves and inferiors, generally only used for housework (rather than as a magical tool in battle or similar) and thus became 'house elves'. Though their power has grown again now (if it was ever diminished), they are still bound to the contract made many hundreds of years previously. Mankind still treats them as an unrecognised/inferior race of workers, and they have grown to accept this fate- it is the only life the younger generations have known. Perhaps in the following books the house elves will be able to break their bonds and become, once again, a race of proud beings with their own society etc. To show their integrity (as well perhaps, as for their own reasons (staying free)), they will aid men in the upcoming battle- good against evil (obviously most fighting for good (though a few weasels on the wrong side (eg. Kreacher))). They would be a great and powerful army with their powers. Having said this- the Hogwarts house elves might well do anyway, depending on their talks with Dumbledore, I could imagine him offering freedom- but would they take it?

Ah well, just a thought.

*is having lots of ideas a long with this thread of thought*

The only doubtful thing is, surely some of this would have been in the books Hermione is always reading -so wouldn't we have heard about it? Unlesss it was a past concealed and forgotten by man.

ReputationRep:
    that's one of the best thought out theories I've heard- and I totally buy it- Hermione might have read about it- I can see her coming out with a "well duh" moment to explain it- she knows lots of things we haven't heard yet- most of them from Hogwarts, A History-

I wonder if there is something about different kinds of elves- not just "house" elves- hmm-

ReputationRep:
    LOL! Just had the funiest image fly into my head. Dobby and Kreacher going one on one, fight to the death, House Elf style.

ReputationRep:
    HEYY GUYS Whats Up...so many things have changed.....this forum has become really great and organized too...thank god you guyz kept this thread going..i was a bit worried we'd run out of iodeas...actually i take that back...i knew they would just keep coming....well...i'm obviously not gonna read all these posts but boy is it great being back...who won all those awards...i was sent a ballot but sadly i wasn't nominated for most missed meber...well i'm gonna check out all the other threads (and this one)....bye

CR <-- haven't done that in a while..

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.