Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I say we keep the thread and just post a spoiler warning- who would come on here before reading it after its released? who out of all of us doesn't plan on buying it that day and reading straight through to the end?

I'm guessing summer of 2005 as well- mostly because she hasn't said ANYTHING about it, and she mentioned the released month for #5 the October before- so she gives a good 6-8 months warning- I'm sure there will be more buzz around the release of the third movie and someone will ask her- and YAY! they are starting the filming of book 4 this april!

No WAY will it be Harry/Hermione- not unless they kiss and realize there is nothing going on- I'm guessing they are somehow related- maybe cousins of some sort- or else she confesses her feelings to Harry and ROn THINKS there's something going on- that would be good too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dracos_Goddess)
    how many of you read fanfiction- and if you do, what are your favorite ships?

I read fanfic, and my fav ship is L/J and D/G~*~*
    I would have to admit that I've become addicted to fanfiction, a lily-james fanfic worshipper to be specific. It's really nice reading all the ideas on how lily and james' relationship went. I got all my favorite stories bookmarked! Of course, JK remains the best. I do hope she writes Lily and James' love story in a separate book

ReputationRep:
    Summer 2005 sounds like the most realistic date to me, she had only just started writing it when she did that Paxman interview last summer, and I'm sure it takes ages to write a book and have it proof read and published and printed etc etc. I wouldn't be surprised if she released the title quite soon though, I'm sure we knew Order of the Phoenix a couple of years before it was eventually released.

ReputationRep:
    What do you think is the WORST thing she could do in the next book?

I think the worst would be if she made Harry so ridiculously depressed he wouldn't be friends with anyone- I kept wanting to slap him in the last book- I dont want to plough through 800 pages of Ron and Hermione trying to be understanding-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brooklyn)
    What do you think is the WORST thing she could do in the next book?

I think the worst would be if she made Harry so ridiculously depressed he wouldn't be friends with anyone- I kept wanting to slap him in the last book- I dont want to plough through 800 pages of Ron and Hermione trying to be understanding-
    The worst thing she could do could also be the entire relationship thing. I'm aware that the pressure is there, but Harry doesn't exactly have to be a casanova just because he is now getting to that age.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    The worst thing she could do could also be the entire relationship thing. I'm aware that the pressure is there, but Harry doesn't exactly have to be a casanova just because he is now getting to that age.
    I hope that if she does do this relationship thing, she doesn't let it take over the book.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    I hope that if she does do this relationship thing, she doesn't let it take over the book.
    Do you think she can do it without letting it take over the majority of the book though? Being the great writer she is, I think she would go in depth and if you look at teen couples, there would be a few hundred pages alone spent on Harry's love struck little heart. I just don't think I could read that much of it. Touching on the issue as she has done with Cho Chang I didn't mind, though when reading the books through a second, third time etc, I must admit I kind of flipped through those pages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Do you think she can do it without letting it take over the majority of the book though? Being the great writer she is, I think she would go in depth and if you look at teen couples, there would be a few hundred pages alone spent on Harry's love struck little heart. I just don't think I could read that much of it. Touching on the issue as she has done with Cho Chang I didn't mind, though when reading the books through a second, third time etc, I must admit I kind of flipped through those pages.
    I'm sort of hoping that she'll leave Harry alone and put Ron and hermione to have the relationship. Harry has enough on his plate. How much of the book would J K Rowling spend on the relationship in the book, it's up to her, how long the book is etc. I reckon that J K Rowling might be able to pull it off. I guess it's how much emphasis she wans to place on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    I'm sort of hoping that she'll leave Harry alone and put Ron and hermione to have the relationship. Harry has enough on his plate. How much of the book would J K Rowling spend on the relationship in the book, it's up to her, how long the book is etc. I reckon that J K Rowling might be able to pull it off. I guess it's how much emphasis she wans to place on it.
    Yeah, makes sense. When you mention Ron and Hermione. Do you mean to suggest that they get together?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Yeah, makes sense. When you mention Ron and Hermione. Do you mean to suggest that they get together?
    It sort of makes sense, with all of the hints that have been given, you know with the arguing and jealousy and stuff. Mind you, knowing J K Rowling, she might do something totally out of the blue, catching us all by surprise. Actually, I'll also hate it if J K Rowling does a Luna and Ron pairing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    It sort of makes sense, with all of the hints that have been given, you know with the arguing and jealousy and stuff. Mind you, knowing J K Rowling, she might do something totally out of the blue, catching us all by surprise. Actually, I'll also hate it if J K Rowling does a Luna and Ron pairing!
    I was actually half thinking of Harry and Luna pairing up. Just from the part where he felt less stupid at several points in the 5th book after something Luna had said. Examples being on the Thestrals, and also about Luna's stuff always turning up before leaving Hogwarts each year. *shrugs* Just the impression I got anyways What about Malfoy, is he destined to be with Pansy Parkinson? Do you think he will die?

ReputationRep:
    And what on earth are 'wispa bars' please? Some kind of chocolate that isn't sold anymore?

ReputationRep:
    heeehee- I asked that when I started as well- apparently its some wonderful English chocolate that was discontinued and then brought back under a different name and inferior quality- did I get that right?

I am pretty sure she intends Ron and Hermione to end up together- more from interviews than from all those hints in the books-

ReputationRep:
    hey can u guys help me?! please

i was looking at some HP sites and i came across a casting extra one blah blah blah. i was looking at the address and i was kinda confused about something. it said:
    Jina Jay
    Leavesden Studio
    P.O. Box 322
    Watford, England
    WD25 7XJ

but then i saw a different one when i was looking at a different page and it said:
    Casting Office
    Leavesden Studios
    PO Box 322
    Watford
    Hertfordshire
    WD25 7XJ

so i am confuzzled. is watford in england? or in hertfordshire? or is watford like a city and hertfordshire is like a state that is in england?

i dont know that much about england so i was just curious.
    ohh and sorry for the length of this post.

ReputationRep:
    I am pretty sure she intends Ron and Hermione to end up together- more from interviews than from all those hints in the books-
    i was re-reading parts of the fifth book last night and i read the part where Hermione kisses Ron (just on the cheek tho). but i guess that when i read the book before i had completely missed that part. hmmm i think somebody likes Ron lol. maybe not, who knows.

ReputationRep:
    heeehee- I asked that when I started as well- apparently its some wonderful English chocolate that was discontinued and then brought back under a different name and inferior quality- did I get that right?

Yeah, that's right. Wispa's come back as Cadbury's bubbly, but I don't reckon it's as good as the original. I hope ron and hermione do get together. I dunno about Luna, I guess it's just that I don't like her character that much that I don't want her and Harry to get together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magic101)
    i was re-reading parts of the fifth book last night and i read the part where Hermione kisses Ron (just on the cheek tho). but i guess that when i read the book before i had completely missed that part. hmmm i think somebody likes Ron lol. maybe not, who knows.
    huh......i missed that bit too.....where is it....what was happening?
    JK better make the 6th book longer.....its depressing enough waiting all that time for every book. She should write one that will take me longer than a day to read

BTW....can anyone explain the economics behind the bookstores selling the book at 16 pounds or whatever, and the supermarkets selling them for sub £10?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by derek_klivian)
    huh......i missed that bit too.....where is it....what was happening?
    JK better make the 6th book longer.....its depressing enough waiting all that time for every book. She should write one that will take me longer than a day to read

BTW....can anyone explain the economics behind the bookstores selling the book at 16 pounds or whatever, and the supermarkets selling them for sub £10?
    it was when it was ron's first quidditch game (im pretty sure, if not it is the first time he plays slytherin) and he's really nervous and won't talk to anybody. then when harry and ron leave to go to the quidditch pitch, hermione wishes ron good luck and gives him a kiss. then she wishes harry luck but doesn't give him a kiss.

i will try to look up the page number for you...

ReputationRep:
    ohh yea! i was also re-reading parts of book 2 a couple of nights ago. remember when J K Rowling said that a small part in book 2 will be important or something like that?? well, the part i was reading was at the end w/ harry and riddle. they are arguing and harry says something like "but even when u were strong u didnt dare try to take over Hogwarts."

hmmm....this could possibly be the part she was talking about. but it could be something else as well. i just found it interesting because i would like for voldemort to try to take over Hogwarts and have the final battle there and everything.

just something to ponder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magic101)
    ohh yea! i was also re-reading parts of book 2 a couple of nights ago. remember when J K Rowling said that a small part in book 2 will be important or something like that?? well, the part i was reading was at the end w/ harry and riddle. they are arguing and harry says something like "but even when u were strong u didnt dare try to take over Hogwarts."

hmmm....this could possibly be the part she was talking about. but it could be something else as well. i just found it interesting because i would like for voldemort to try to take over Hogwarts and have the final battle there and everything.

just something to ponder.
    Yeah, Hogwarts would be the ideal place for the final battle. That will be when Voldie's at his strongest, and maybe he'd be confident enough to try and take over hogwarts. Imagine harry's reaction if dumbledore were to die, especially if he were to die in the fnal battle.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.