Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    But wabbits are loyal and full of love. And they are also fluffy.
    Damned rabbits! I have to look after my neighbours rabbits this week abd the damned things have burrowed right under their cage- I walked into their garden and couldn't see them in their run and what like ***t! But they were there...*sigh*...and one of the damned things tried to bite me when I stroked it...

Egan

P.S appologies for my continual use of the word 'damned'

*sizzles angrily in the corner*

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm...going back to the topic, it would be interesting though- if dumbledor turned out evil...he got Harry to kill Voldemort then showed his true colours and turned power-hungry, and Harry had to fight-kill him too...

Not saying it would happen- but it'd certainly be a twist!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    Hmmm...going back to the topic, it would be interesting though- if dumbledor turned out evil...he got Harry to kill Voldemort then showed his true colours and turned power-hungry, and Harry had to fight-kill him too...

Not saying it would happen- but it'd certainly be a twist!
    Dumbledore will be killed in the final battle.

This is the longest thread on UK-learning!

(Original post by CR3)
    how many innocent lives was he risking...only harry's..and not to mention harry got himself into it..dumbledore shouldn't be always by his side...thats what he had to let harry know..

CR

he was also risking sirius's life by not helping. Sure harry got himself into it, but was he going to watch while his godfather had his soul sucked out? i think not. I agree that dumbledore thinks harry should do things by himself, but in a life threating situation such as 1-100, you would think he might want to help a little, especially since it IS harry.

ReputationRep:
    sorry, that last post was from me :cool:

And i meant 1 on 100

ReputationRep:
    But when harry saved sirius from the dementors, dumbledore didn't know sirius was a good guy, did he? so dumbledore wouldn't've tried to help... and since when did he know that was happening? he wasn't there, he was just told about it after it happened

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lokeo13)
    But when harry saved sirius from the dementors, dumbledore didn't know sirius was a good guy, did he? so dumbledore wouldn't've tried to help... and since when did he know that was happening? he wasn't there, he was just told about it after it happened
    True, but in their talk he said "i watched from afar as harry stuggled against the dementors, learned what sirius was and rescued him". So you can't tell when he said "learned what sirius was" if he already knew or not. Plus, even if he thought sirius was bad, he could have come and helped harry, and since he was so quick to beilive sirius was good, harry could have convinced him right when he came.

ReputationRep:
    Mr Weasley for Minister of Magic!

ReputationRep:
    Why didn't Harry ask Lupin or Sirius why the order was called the Order of the Phoenix? I mean, that would have been interesting, and would have answered some questions. Plus it's a little unlike Harry to not be as inquisitive as to ask that question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Why didn't Harry ask Lupin or Sirius why the order was called the Order of the Phoenix? I mean, that would have been interesting, and would have answered some questions. Plus it's a little unlike Harry to not be as inquisitive as to ask that question.
    I can only think of two reasonable reaons that it's called the order of the pheonix.
    1: After Fawks, since dumbledore leads it it
    2: It's just a name, so people on the outside wouldn't know what it meant. This seems kinda shallow for JKR, as she usually has deeper meaning for important things, espeically since it is the title of the book. I agree, it seems odd of harry not to ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiriusFan)
    This seems kinda shallow for JKR, as she usually has deeper meaning for important things, espeically since it is the title of the book. I agree, it seems odd of harry not to ask.
    JK has a tendancy to drop subtle clues and pick up on them later on...I daresay we'll be finding out much more about the original order etc in the next books

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    JK has a tendancy to drop subtle clues and pick up on them later on...I daresay we'll be finding out much more about the original order etc in the next books
    Yeah, I know, but it just seemed a little out of character for Harry to not ask that question. I doubt that the reason is as simple as the previous ideas mentioned, though I thought of them as well. It just seems a bit too simple, and pointless to have a whole book named as that if the reason for the name is simple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Yeah, I know, but it just seemed a little out of character for Harry to not ask that question.
    Same with the way he hasn't even really found out anything about his parents lives- their jobs etc etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    Same with the way he hasn't even really found out anything about his parents lives- their jobs etc etc
    There seems to be quite a few things Harry hasn't asked, like about his parents, WHY didn't he ask when they were having carrers talks? Doesn't he want to know how his parents got all they're gold? And how come James was Headboy when he wasn't a prefect? In fact, considering Harry's supposed to be inquisitive he doesn't actually ask that many questions.

Another question I'd like someone to answer for me, how do they get back to the train to leave Hogwarts every year?

ReputationRep:
    "Another question I'd like someone to answer for me, how do they get back to the train to leave Hogwarts every year?"

They probably take the thestral drawn- buggy things

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiriusFan)
    "Another question I'd like someone to answer for me, how do they get back to the train to leave Hogwarts every year?"

They probably take the thestral drawn- buggy things
    So how come Harry didn't see the Thestral's on the way back to the train at the end of book 4? I've just finished re-reading book4 and its really puzzling me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    So how come Harry didn't see the Thestral's on the way back to the train at the end of book 4? I've just finished re-reading book4 and its really puzzling me!
    Hmmmmmmmm. Puzzling. I can't really see any answer to that apart from maybe they used another form of transport, or maybe Harry was too upset to see them.

ReputationRep:
    one thing..anyone else notice that the last two books harry hasn't really accomplished something...like the first three books

CR

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CR3)
    one thing..anyone else notice that the last two books harry hasn't really accomplished something...like the first three books

CR
    However. the last 2 books seem a little like a transition phase, where it is a learning experience. He is going through a lot mentally, like deaths, taking on 3 tasks when underage. He is also at the age where his emotions are high, and has to deal with a lot of difficult things. Hopefully these experiences will stand Harry in good stead for the future, i.e. the final battle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    However. the last 2 books seem a little like a transition phase, where it is a learning experience. He is going through a lot mentally, like deaths, taking on 3 tasks when underage. He is also at the age where his emotions are high, and has to deal with a lot of difficult things. Hopefully these experiences will stand Harry in good stead for the future, i.e. the final battle.
    this is great to see a thread that has kept on topic for this long, congrats everyone, im impressed!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.