Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annoyed)
    Why does nobody use the time travel gadget to change time and bring back Sirius? Or to change any one of a number of things that are crying out to be changed. That are clearly unjust and can most definitely be fixed. I mean, if the gadget can be used casually enough to allow buckbeak and Sirius to be rescued once, then why cannot Dumbledore and others in the Order of the Phoenix use them? Further, why doesn't Voldemort have one of those to use and change time repeatedly until it goes well for him?
    There were so many people in that room in the MOM, so if they had gone back, then it would have been difficult for them to not be seen. I dunno. plus the going ack in time thing has already been used.
    There was an interview with the guy playing neville in the movie on the newsround website. Tell me if you want me to post the questions answered by him over here!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Maybe they go to the MOM in the holdidays to be tested.

I think they do, I seem to remember Ron or Mr Weasly saying that the twins went there to do theirs...can't remember where though...

ReputationRep:
    Does it not bother anyone that there exists a machine that allows time travel which is handed out very casually to Hermione but is NEVER AGAIN referred to or used? It would be very useful for a number of things such as being able to bring back Sirius.
    I dunno if it was casually, becuase she said that McGonagall had to say to the MoM that she was an exceptionally gifted student and that she would never ever use it for anything else and sign all sorts of permission forms and stuff...but it does seem a bit strange that not even Harry mentionned it, especially since he tried to use that mirror and things and he didn't seem to get the importance of not beeing seen in POA...

Ok, I've waffled rather a lot...sorry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    I was kind of hoping that Harry would become the next Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher. He already began the DA and showed himself there. Would JKR allow 6th year to teach, the same person who was the youngest Quidditch player in over 100 years mind.
    I don't think so. Firstly- Dumbledore didn't make him a prefect because he didn't want him to have the extra pressure- he's not going to make him a teacher- which would also not work, because how could he be in other classes? Also, Harry still has a lot to learn me thinks.

Though I do think he might continue the DA meetings in some shape or form.

(Original post by Brooklyn)
    Although think about this- Harry is already amazing at DADA- he doesn't really need a DADA teacher-
    I think he does, as I say, he still needs to learn. There are many spells and curses etc I daresay he doesn't yet know, that'll come in handy for the future battles.

(Original post by Sire)
    Magic outside of Hogwarts. Now that would be something. This would allow him to do a whole host of things. Perhaps even help his aunt and uncle around the house if they let him. Keep things sparkling with the swish of a want. The aunt and uncle, especially the aunt, did seem to be a little more tolerant of the magical world at the beginning of the 5th book after all.
    I don't think he's of age 'til 7- well, that's when Fred and George were so...
    Even if he was though, I'm pretty sure the 'not doing magic infront of muggles' thing would still apply so he wouldn't be able to do as you suggested, I think.

(Original post by Sire)
    Ah the love of the game, and yet another new member who has become drawn to the Harry Potter thread. Welcome katkin. Xenon is our leader with 640 posts and going strong. I sit behind at a distance of a mere 150 posts lol.
    How do you find out how many posts you have supplied to a thread?

(Original post by Sire)
    Exactly. It was a good piece of writing, don't get me wrong, but I do think she was a tad over the top. There were other ways to introduce Umbridge. *shudders* I really detest that character. Surely she could have been the one teacher to accidentally die to a freak accident. Such as being eaten by Hagrid's pet Fang
    I detested her aswell, but I don't think we've seen the end of her, by any means, but I wont go back into the deatheater theory.

(Original post by Sire)
    Got a feeling that only dark wizards can leave such scars cuz Dumbledore defeated some Grindlewald, perhaps he got the scar there?
    I was just wondering whether we'd be hearing more about Grindlewald.

(Original post by Xenon)
    We only know that about DADA. We don't know how good he is getting at charms, and transfiguration and all that stuff. That could affect how good he'll be able to apparate himself. But yeah, it would be good for him to make it.
    Well, he's got his new wand now, so it'll be interesting to observe the difference.

Why does nobody use the time travel gadget to change time and bring back Sirius? Or to change any one of a number of things that are crying out to be changed. That are clearly unjust and can most definitely be fixed. I mean, if the gadget can be used casually enough to allow buckbeak and Sirius to be rescued once, then why cannot Dumbledore and others in the Order of the Phoenix use them? Further, why doesn't Voldemort have one of those to use and change time repeatedly until it goes well for him?
    I think a number of solutions and spells could be used to various effects, but the books would be dull if they used the same solution to every problem.

---

Right, just got through 5 pages, I've tried not to repeat answers that had already been posted but I may well have done so appologies for that.

ReputationRep:
    Here is the explanation by Sire from another thread:

"yeah, just hover the mouse over the envelope at the side of the thread on the main entertainment page. The envelope with the black dot in the centre of it."

How many posts have you contributed to this thread?
    Um, you might want to change the age you wrote for coming of age, but I know what you mean.
    I think I might put up that interview of the actor playing Neville.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    How many posts have you contributed to this thread?
    Um, you might want to change the age you wrote for coming of age, but I know what you mean..
    I didn't mean when he is 7, I meant in book 7, sorry, badly phrased.

This is my 410th post on this thread. Thanks for the explanation.

ReputationRep:
    Qu. Can you tell me how you got into Harry Potter?
    Ans. Hey, well I was with an agency where I had drama lessons every thursday for an hour. My agent sent me for the open audition in Leeds (where I live) and after several re-auditions they told me I'd got the part.

Qu. I was wondering if u could think of one word to sum up your whole potter experiance what would it be?
    Ans. That's a very good question. I would probably describe it as indescribable. It really is amazing.

Qu. How was the filming for POS? It seemed to take 4ever so u must av bin really tired!!!
    Ans. It was a lot of fun, it was once again like a big reunion. Alfonso was a great director. Unfortunately I can't go into much detail, so go see it, it looks really good!

Qu. Is there any similarities between you and Neville?
    Ans. Yes! I'm very forgetful and clumsy.However, I'm not as vulnerable as he is, I'm a bit more confident...sort of. But he is a very good character to play.

Qu. You got to play one of the coolest scenes in the Harry Potter series: turning the boggart into Snape wearing woman's clothes. Weren't you nervous, because Alan Rickman is such a famous actor, and you're the guy who get's to make a fool out of him.
    Ans. Nervous is a complete under-statement. I was so scared, he was really cool about it, though. It's a very funny scene.

Qu. What was it like working with all the other actors?
    Ans. Working with people like Dame Maggie Smith,Alan Rickman & Kenneth Brannagh was awesome. I get on with all the cast members my age too, Dan, Rupert, etc.

Qu. comin to australia anytime soon?
    would you ever date a fan?
    do you or any of the cast have girlfriends you can tell us about?
    Ans. No, not soon but maybe a visit next year, that would be cool.
    As for the date a fan, probably if I had the time between filming.
    I don't know about the others and whether they have girlfriends but I don't.

Qu. do you wanna do any other movies after harry potter nad are you going to be in all the hp movies.
    Ans. I'd love to do some more movies, definitely. I'm not sure whether I will be in anymore HP movies...I wouldn't say no if they did more.

Qu. Do you have a crush on anyone on the set????
    Ans. Hey, No I don't have a crush on anyone on set.

Qu. I'm from the US and I was wondering if you were going to be coming over here anytime soon?
    Ans. I am intending on coming over in March, I will put up the dates abd venues on my website when it is all confirmed.
    http:/www.matthewlewisonline.co.uk - this site isn't up at the minute but it will be soon so check back later!

Qu. whats your favo(u)rite movie?
    Ans. My favourite film is probably Pirates of the Caribbean. I thought Johnny Depp was absolutely hilarious.

Qu. whats your favo(u)rite lord of the rings movie/book?
    Ans. I have only read the hobbit so far, I do intend to read the trilogy. My favourite film has to be Return of the King, the battle scenes were brilliant.

Qu. How many days day off do u get a year ?
    Ans. I have lots of days off from filming, however I am usually at school during that time.

Qu. will u go out with ginny weasley in hp films?
    Ans. I don't know, I guess it depends on what JK Rowling has in store.

Qu. favorite actor/actress?
    Ans. My favourite actor is Johnny Depp and my favourite actress is Sarah Michelle Gellar.

Qu. Is it exhausting, being on the set for so long?
    Ans. Yes, it's really quite tiring but I think I have it easy compared to Dan, Rupert and Emma.

Qu. What is ur fav line that u have had 2 say in the films so far!
    Ans. I would have to say 'Why is it always me?

Qu. How did you first get into acting?I really want to be an actress one day and i am sending my audition form to the casting office later today so wish me luck!Have you got any tips to help me become an actress?
    Ans. Perseverence! Keep at it, you can have talent and still not get the break, if you keep at it, you'll get there.

Qu. I was just wondering, have you ever been starstruck and what is it like being famous?
    Ans. I saw Patrick Stewart walking accross the lobby of the hotel I was staying in. I didn't even think, I just ran over and said hi. Afterwards I felt a right idiot.

Qu. please could u tell me coz they sound good i mean they got u the audition for Harry Potter rite?
    Ans. Well it was an agency in Leeds, North England, where I'm from. It is called Scala kids.

Qu. What music are you into?
    Ans. I like Rock. Stuff like Nirvana, Coldplay, Green Day, Red Hot Chili Peppers & Feeder.

Qu. WHATS THE WORST THING A FAN HAS DONE TO YOU WHEN THEY MET YOU? OR THE CRAZIEST THING THEY HAVE DONE?
    Ans. Still top of the list is giving me a pepper! That happened @ Collectormania.

Qu. Have u ever got the twins mixed up?!
    Ans. For the first film it was every day! But now that I've spent 3 years with them, it's easy to tell them apart.

Qu. movies or books?, dogs or cats? pop or rock? shoes or boots? spoon or knife? roberts or diaz? choclat or lollys? sing or dance?orange or apple? spiderman or batman? or you can just say comics are stupid
    Ans. That's too hard, I'm going to have to say both. Cats always scratch and bite me so I have to say dogs. That's too easy, rock! Shoes. Spoon - means dessert Hmm, Roberts. Chocolate Dance Apple Batman

Qu. will you still be acting in 10 years time ?
    Ans. To quote Reeves & Mortimer...
    'We just don't know!

Qu. When you were a kid who were your heroes?
    Ans. Superhero - Batman!
    Regular hero - Alan Smith!!

Qu. will you be coming to collectormaia 5 in may, and do you know if any other potter stars will be going???
    Ans. I'm not doing it in May, but I would like to do it again!
    As for the others, I'm not sure

Qu. Have u eva met JKR?
    Do u have an autograoh collection of all the famous poeple u have met?
    Ans. Yes, I've met her three times. Twice on set and @ the premiere. She was really nice!
    I do have an autograph collection - my pride and joy.

There you go!

ReputationRep:
    Does it not bother anyone that there exists a machine that allows time travel which is handed out very casually to Hermione but is NEVER AGAIN referred to or used? It would be very useful for a number of things such as being able to bring back Sirius.
    there are lots of inconsistencies like that..... also, given that things like Care of Magical Creatures, Divinity, etc etc are OPTIONAL lessons introduced from the 3rd year onwards, why is it that the whole gryffindor class (and slytherin) all go for the same options that are available? surely some others would take Muggle studies, arithmancy, etc etc?

ReputationRep:
    does anyone kinda want to see someone important like ron like vanish for a while and have him be kidnapped to try and get at harry... that would be evil

ReputationRep:
    It isnt a time machine and they had to specially apply to the ministry to receive it and hand it back in when it was no longer in use. There were strict rules governing its use as well. Plus being sworn to secrecy they wouldnt be able to bring Sirius back because of the risks involved because of the rules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    does anyone kinda want to see someone important like ron like vanish for a while and have him be kidnapped to try and get at harry... that would be evil
    But I can't see Voldemort just 'kidnapping' someone for the fun of it- I could see him taking, torturing and then killing someone, or perhaps just killing. Storage doesn't seem his style.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    Won't Kreacher still be bound to Sirius so unable to reveal the Orders secrets. I know Sirius is dead so can't still be his master, but he didn't give him clothes so the way I see it, he wouldn't be able to break his enslavement by telling all to the Malfoys
    Kreacher won't be bound to Sirius, but won't he be bound to Harry? After all Harry should inherit everything Sirius has got.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    I'd put that thread in the main forum. At least until d decides to create a political threads sub forum. As for Moody. I was a little disappointed too, but I just put that down to the fact that there were 10 death eaters in the room and only 5 Order members plus Harry. Guessing that they ganged up on Moody first.
    It's not really honorable but they had the right idea. but can you really expect them to play fair

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    But I can't see Voldemort just 'kidnapping' someone for the fun of it- I could see him taking, torturing and then killing someone, or perhaps just killing. Storage doesn't seem his style.
    Hasn't the idea sort of been done with Ginny in COS?

ReputationRep:
    If you do that it completely defeats the point of the book. Why live if you know that you can just go back and change it.

ReputationRep:
    it is strange yes.

i think the weird thing is that there are plenty of spells/potions etc that are used in the hospital wing and to even regrow harry's bones. however harry wears glasses!! isnt there anything that makes him see better so he doesnt have to wear them?
    maybe magic is quite limited.

ReputationRep:
    Shouldn't this go into the main HP thread?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    If you do that it completely defeats the point of the book. Why live if you know that you can just go back and change it.
    Yeah, I kinda think there are some rules governing what you can and can't use magic for (at least JK seems to have invented some to make the books more interesting!) and continually turning back time seems to break one of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    Kreacher won't be bound to Sirius, but won't he be bound to Harry? After all Harry should inherit everything Sirius has got.
    I didn't really mean that Kreacher would still be bound to Sirius, I just meant that Kreacher wouldn't be able to go and tell the Orders secrets now Sirius has died. When Dobby was set free he was able to tell the Malfoy's secrets because he was nolonger magically bound to the family, but I reckon because Kreacher wasn't actually set free, so he's still bound and will have to keep the secrets even if he goes of to the Malfoy's because they're probably his nearest family. Its so hard to try and explain what I'm trying to say!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Hasn't the idea sort of been done with Ginny in COS?
    I had forgotten about that. But there were quite different circumstances really- firstly, that was the young Voldemort- AKA Tom Riddle. So his mind probably worked differently to Voldemort's- who had experienced more if you get me.
    Secondly, Riddle had other aims than just luring Harry- he needed Ginny if you recall, he was basically draining her life force into his own.

I'm not saying Voldemort wouldn't 'take' someone to get at Harry, but he'd just use them for information and then kill them- unless he did the imperious on them and got them to fight Harry. But JK isn't going to repeat anything too similar to previous events- eg, the Ginny thing or the Sirius (in the MOM) thing.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.