Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brooklyn)
    I remembered the same section about the muggle's being alerted to Sirius Black, but I had a feeling that wasn't Fudge- I feel like there has to be a Muggle Liason office- does anyone have the book on them? What are the names of the Departments they pass in the elevator? I bet there's something important hidden in the list-
    Level 7: Department of Magical Games and Sports
    Level 6: Department of Magical Transport
    Level 5: Department of International Magical Cooperation
    Level 4: Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures
    Level 3: Department of Magical Accidents and Catastrophes
    Level 2: Department of Magical Law Enforcement
    Level 1: not mentioned

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    I'm still waiting for someone to come up with a publishers' company, as I do not know of any. Plus, as yet, this is an ongoing development. We may be as yet only half way into the thread, what with there still being ages left till the books come out. Better to publish before or after the he books come out?
    Why would James and Lily not be prepared for an attack. I mean surely Dumbledorewould have told them if he had any suspician of there being a traitor? Hence they would be on their toes. But maybe the didn't know.
    Before the last book

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to burst any bubbles, but I think it highly doubtful that someone would publish the thread. Who, apart perhaps for the participants, would go out and spend money on it? Especially when it could just be read online- along with thousands of other like threads on HP forums on the net.

I suppose they could do a 'prediction' book, but seeing as the next book will be out within the next couple of years, it is unlikely they'd think it worthwhile.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    I think Lupin certainly was good, but Sirius and James were the two smartest kids in school. There are several mentions of this, but what really makes me sure is the part in book 5 where Harry is in the pensieve with Snapes worst memory. They appear to have aced the test while Lupin was also comfortable and Pettigrew definitely struggled. They were also under aged animagi too. What I'd like to know is why James couldn't kill Voldemort. Granted there wouldn't be a series if he had, but the Avada Kedavra curse is supposed to be unblockable, so why didn't he just try first? I don't think the MoM would have frowned upon an unforgivable curse killing Voldemort. Or would the prophecy defeat this?

I don't know if anyone has already responded or not, but I came back yesterday and there was like 10 pages to catch up on and I'm being slow. So I thought I'd respond before I finished reading. Sorry if this has already been said.

In book four Moody tells Harry that the Aurors were given permission to use the unforgiveable curses against the deatheaters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    Hermione said that she wanted a job where she could change things such as house elf relations. what better job than MoM?

I don't think Jk plans to save Neville's character much more, I mean he is easily the most boring character in the book.
    That would certainly bring in the whole SPEW stuff. How much of a role do you think all this SPEW stuff will have in future books? I still think that there might be a house elf army against Voldie's troops, in which we'l learn a lot more about their powers.
    But Neville's character has a somewhat different element. It shows improvement, him actually sort of building up his character. I actually think that his character might be in sort of a tranition stage, where he's coming into his own, and is developng as a person and as a wizard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    It has probably been discussed before, as everything seems to have been, but what jobs would the major characters be most likely to get after Hogwarts? I've no idea what would suit Hermione best, Harry seems destined to be an Auror or dead. Ron wanted to be an Auror, but something tells me he may end up helping his brothers, or work at the ministry. Neville? Malfoy? Cho Chang?

In book four Moody tells both Hermione and Harry that they should think about becoming Aurors, but not Ron.

I think Harry might seriously consider it.
    Hermione will become part of Mr. Weasley's team comcerning Muggle relations.
    Ron will become a teacher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kcoverst)
    In book four Moody tells both Hermione and Harry that they should think about becoming Aurors, but not Ron.

I think Harry might seriously consider it.
    Hermione will become part of Mr. Weasley's team comcerning Muggle relations.
    Ron will become a teacher.
    Personally, I can't see Ron becoming a teacher. He'd hate it. Harry would be more likely to become a DADA teacher. I reckon he could become the head of sports in the MOM. It would suit him!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Personally, I can't see Ron becoming a teacher. He'd hate it. Harry would be more likely to become a DADA teacher. I reckon he could become the head of sports in the MOM. It would suit him!
    I agree, Ron is just not developed enough to become a teacher.

I am rereading the first book and noticed something that as far as i know has gone completely unnoticed. Hagrid is keeper of the keys for Hogwarts. What are the keys and will they have any significance?

ReputationRep:

I am rereading the first book and noticed something that as far as i know has gone completely unnoticed. Hagrid is keeper of the keys for Hogwarts. What are the keys and will they have any significance?
    The keys to gates entering the forest? I haven't s clue really!

ReputationRep:
    Level 7: Department of Magical Games and Sports
    Level 6: Department of Magical Transport
    Level 5: Department of International Magical Cooperation
    Level 4: Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures
    Level 3: Department of Magical Accidents and Catastrophes
    Level 2: Department of Magical Law Enforcement
    Level 1: not mentioned
    Hmm- let's see- Level 7 they did in book 3
    Level 6: a little in book 5, I'm guessing more in book 7 when they get aparition licenses
    Level 5: book 4
    Level 4: book 3
    Level 3: book 3ish (blowing up Aunt Marge- maybe more to come?)
    Level 2: book 5
    Level 1: Isn't that the department of Mysteries? and farther down the courtrooms? someone correct me if I'm wrong

ReputationRep:
    Good notice on the keys- I forgot about that- I think its like DUmbledore's 12 handed watch- something odd mentioned in book one that we haven't heard of since-

ReputationRep:
    Good notice on the keys- I forgot about that- I think its like DUmbledore's 12 handed watch- something odd mentioned in book one that we haven't heard of since-
    They could always pop up in anyh of the remaining books. Though still don't get how a watch with 12 hands could be very significant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    They could always pop up in anyh of the remaining books. Though still don't get how a watch with 12 hands could be very significant.
    Could this be like the weasly's clock and show the status of teachers or students or something?

ReputationRep:
    I think it is something like the Weasley's clock- remember how Dumbledore was impressed by it in book 5 when Arthur got hurt?- I just wonder who the 12 are he is keeping track of- Hagrid must be one, since he glanced at it in book one before saying that Hagrid was nearly there- not a clue who the others are- Order members? Harry? family? Considering it's Dumbledore though, I bet he could add and remove people as he needed-

ReputationRep:
    I think it is something like the Weasley's clock- remember how Dumbledore was impressed by it in book 5 when Arthur got hurt?- I just wonder who the 12 are he is keeping track of- Hagrid must be one, since he glanced at it in book one before saying that Hagrid was nearly there- not a clue who the others are- Order members? Harry? family? Considering it's Dumbledore though, I bet he could add and remove people as he needed-
    Yah, it's probably the members of the order.But I reckon u're right, he could probably add and take off who he wants. I wonder if there is any other way for Dumbledore to know where everyone is. I mean, that's not the same with Voldie and the deatheaters, but would be sooooo useful. Maybe the twins could invent something like that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Yah, it's probably the members of the order.But I reckon u're right, he could probably add and take off who he wants. I wonder if there is any other way for Dumbledore to know where everyone is. I mean, that's not the same with Voldie and the deatheaters, but would be sooooo useful. Maybe the twins could invent something like that!

Only the hands have to be able to move so there could be more than 12 hands. There are only 12 stationery numbers. They would be were they are ie. home, work, mortal danger etc. He could have a hand for each of the Order members and that would explain how he always seemed to know what Harry had been upto.

ReputationRep:

Excellent point. I had noticed the same thing, but forgot the mention it. About Dawlish, i really don't see him joining the order, he was with fudge soo much it would be odd to join a group, when he tried to attack the leader.

How many people do u think are in the order? I would guess around 20. Other guesses? Remember in book 5 when they come to save harry from the dursley's? There were tonks, moody, lupin, kingsley, elphias doge, dedalus diggle, emmeline vance, podmore and hestia jones. My point is that i ahd forgotten all about doge, diggle, vance and jones, so there may be many other members that dont ahve huge rolls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    Aren't you forgetting the Department of Mysterys. How could you forget that.

Here is an interesting idea. Which department would you work in, in the MoM (apart from being the MoM). i would work on Level 4 myself. Department of Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures
    Department of magical games and sports!

ReputationRep:
    Magical Law Enforcement for me- I'm addicted to "Law and Order"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    I don't want to burst any bubbles, but I think it highly doubtful that someone would publish the thread. Who, apart perhaps for the participants, would go out and spend money on it? Especially when it could just be read online- along with thousands of other like threads on HP forums on the net.

I suppose they could do a 'prediction' book, but seeing as the next book will be out within the next couple of years, it is unlikely they'd think it worthwhile.
    Kind of like a collectors item thing, but I honestly think people would read it also.

Just editing this post to add something to the above reply. P.T. Barnum said something once that is one underlying lesson to be learnt in almost any business course. I can't quote it precisely, but here goes. 'No one ever lost money insulting the intelligence of the American public.' As true then as it is today. Thus, I'm thinking that a publishing house would be rather interested in an offer to sell a Harry Potter publication written by the fans. To answer the question of who would buy it. If you make something look as though people need it, a good proportion of them will get it. Perhaps if it was just added in as part of a final package when the seventh book is released. *shrugs* could end as a disappointing effort, but if never tried, then only speculation will remain.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.