Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    I think McGonnagal might have an influence on Snape taking Harry in too. She'll do whatever she can to help Harry become an auror. I wonder how much presuure there will be on Harry to get good marks and stuff, cos everyone might be expecting him to become an auror.
    Thanks. Next stop, 1000 posts on this thread.
    Congrates Xenon. I'm not so sure. McGonnagal has enough on her plate at the mo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    Congrates Xenon. I'm not so sure. McGonnagal has enough on her plate at the mo.
    But a promise is a promise. She promised Harry that she'd do whatever she could to help him become an auror, and McGonnagal doesn't seem the type to go against that, even if she's dying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    But a promise is a promise. She promised Harry that she'd do whatever she could to help him become an auror, and McGonnagal doesn't seem the type to go against that, even if she's dying.
    i figured she only said that to prove something to Umbridge. Now that she knows that Harry is telling the truth about Voldemort, he will get excepted into Aurorer training.

ReputationRep:
    He probably will take potions because it makes the books more interesting u know him doing something he hates. Otherwise it would all be too good.

I was reading book 5 and I remembered the thing about aunt petunia being his protection, what would happen if voldemort killed her then he would be able to harm harry anywhere because he probably wouldn't have a home and so the whole thing about staying in the house where his mothers blood is to give him protection wouldn't count.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woody)
    He probably will take potions because it makes the books more interesting u know him doing something he hates. Otherwise it would all be too good.
    I think Harry would hate potions a lot less if Snape wasn't teaching it. I'm guessing that there could be an attack on he dursleys by the deatheaters or something. Then it would be interesting to see what would happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    When did Fudge get his order of merlin? If he got it after the temporary downfall of Voldie, maybe he got one for the arrest of the deatheaters. I dunno, maybe they were in a celebratory mood.
    How many NEWTYS do they take? I mean in england, they have maybe 4 A-levels (or at least used to). So would the 5 subjects be enough? If not, maybe he has one of the other 2 to make up numbers. I'm hoping that he gets some advanced DADA classes or something.
    Sorry to keep on at this, but thought I should try and clarify a little bit.

It doesn't say when Fudge got his Order of Merlin, its just signed on the bottom of one of the Educational Decrees. It was just something that struck me as a bit odd, coz Fudge hasn'e come across as the sort of guy who'd earn one, but I guess he must've done something to become MOM.

I don't know how many NEWTs they take in general either, but McGonagall does tell Harry he needs top marks in at least 5 to become an Auror, just couldn't decide what else he could take to make up the numbers. I guess he'd go for Herbology if was going to be more useful, of Care of Magical Creature for more of the enjoyment, rather than just doing the ones he specifically needs.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the 6th or 7th book might start with something like that and the Dursleys leave harry. Then harry would have no where to call home, then he couldn't do the thing like he did to prof quirell where he burnt his face.

It might be the death eaters, like bellatrix cos shes the meanest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    I think Harry would hate potions a lot less if Snape wasn't teaching it. I'm guessing that there could be an attack on he dursleys by the deatheaters or something. Then it would be interesting to see what would happen.
    I reckon the only way Harry will get to do NEWT Potions is if he has a different teacher. To start with Snape would do everything in his power to stop Harry taking it, and secondly, he just wouldn't be very good at it with Snape hassling him all the time

ReputationRep:
    I think Harry will do better in Potions if for no other reason than it will be a smaller class- not everyone (and with Snape as Prof, probably very few) will get an O in potions- maybe Ron, Harry, Hermione from Gryffindor, Malfoy and Parkinson from SLytherin, and we don't really know the Hufflepuffs and the Ravenclaws, but probably not too many of them either- that shrinks down the class quite a bit- more one on one time

ReputationRep:
    Percy is Junior Undersecretary- I think its something like an executive assistant- Umbridge is Senior Undersecretary- I think that's like an associate producer- sounds fancy, and is kind of high in the food chain, but not entirely responsible for anything-

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to post a third- but I keep forgetting things!

Go to www.imdb.com to look up any actors- you can even type in "Harry Potter" and see each person who was in any of the films (not extras of course, but the vast majority of small parts as well as stars)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brooklyn)
    I think Harry will do better in Potions if for no other reason than it will be a smaller class- not everyone (and with Snape as Prof, probably very few) will get an O in potions- maybe Ron, Harry, Hermione from Gryffindor, Malfoy and Parkinson from SLytherin, and we don't really know the Hufflepuffs and the Ravenclaws, but probably not too many of them either- that shrinks down the class quite a bit- more one on one time
    Just another thought, do you reckon that all wizards have to stay on at school and do NEWTs? Or can they leave if they want to? What I'm trying to get at is, will Crabb and Goyle still be there. They're blatantly thick as two short planks, and most teachers seem to have a minimum requirement for their NEWT courses, so will they be able to carry on?

ReputationRep:
    I think they probably do have to stay on but some subjects might have low grades or they have to join classes of bad people to take the subjects again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brooklyn)
    Sorry to post a third- but I keep forgetting things!
    you know, there is a little button called EDIT that u can use.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woody)
    I think they probably do have to stay on but some subjects might have low grades or they have to join classes of bad people to take the subjects again.
    Yeah, maybe they have vocational courses or something, or remedial classes. I can't imagine JKR writting them out completely, but as Fred and George have shown, you don't necessarily need NEWTs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    you know, there is a little button called EDIT that u can use.
    But then you post count doesn't increase as much, making you look slightly less impressive!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    Yeah, maybe they have vocational courses or something, or remedial classes. I can't imagine JKR writting them out completely, but as Fred and George have shown, you don't necessarily need NEWTs.
    depends on whic line of work u are going into.

That reminds me, i hope we get to see their Joke Shop

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I hope so too, their kinda my favourite charcters especially in the last book, when they set off the fireworks and ther exit is great. The joke shop will be kewl to see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woody)
    Yeah I hope so too, their kinda my favourite charcters especially in the last book, when they set off the fireworks and ther exit is great. The joke shop will be kewl to see.
    I should imagine Harry etc will get to see it when the go to Diagon Alley to by their new school supplies. It would be mean not to let them go again, and they'll have loads to buy, what with starting NEWTs and everything. x.

ReputationRep:
    Yay, 600 posts, just thought I'd mention it because I've been determined to get to 600 hundred today and have been sat in the computer room for ages now. Really need to go home and do some work now, grrr.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.