Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

ReputationRep:
    in respose to shades little dealy, it wasnt the actual curtain taht killed sirius, its that the curtain was a border between "life" and "death", and that falling through the curtain cause sirius to fall into the dead realm, and as such he lost his life

poor bugger

ReputationRep:
    I doubt london underground will be a battle site

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaft)
    wow...big harry potter fan?

anyway a red herring is a false clue...something that misleads you in the plot.

> I think we can take it for granted that everyone in the wizarding public know that Crouch is dead
    >I think that there is a major thing about why Dumbledore believes Snape...I believe that this will be linked with the ending...and I also think that Dumbledore is going to die...
    > In book 5 The deatheaters say that it was impossible for Voldemort to get into the m.o.m. to get the prophecy because everyone was on the lookout for him and yet Lestrange who was also on the run managed to...? Why?
    When I said Barty Corouch I meant junior, the one who was impersonating Moody. He is not dead, just souless. So I still stand by my point: "How does Snape get his info? It's obvious he isn't turning up at Deatheater meetings cuz Voldie wants to kill him (Book 4). Does Voldie know Barty Crouch is no longer there? Is Snape taking Polyjuice potion to impersonate him and use his skills in Occulmency to hide the truth?" and I trust Snape as well.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry that's Crouch

ReputationRep:
    could dementors tell if someone was using polyjuice potion, cos they can see throgu invisibility cloaks, and they only worry about the soul which would stay the same?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Orannis)
    this is the largest f***ing thread ive ever seeen
    from your first post, i thought you were a HP hater, but the latter posts seem to say that you're not definitely hope you're not. already have lots of HP haters in this forums

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woody)
    could dementors tell if someone was using polyjuice potion, cos they can see throgu invisibility cloaks, and they only worry about the soul which would stay the same?
    I don't think they can distinguish between different people anyway (unless it was their power, sex an age)...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woody)
    well, we really don't know yet what dementors can and can't do, at least not all of them. i think that they only worry about the soul... well, yeah, probably they could tell if someone was using polyjuice, then they would see through the appearance and know if he/she has the soul they want

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blush Babe)
    2) Actually (to Mr Dude) Slytherin and Gryffindor were best mates as it says in HP and the OoP, "For were there such friends anywhere as Slytherin and Gryffindor? Unless it was the second pair of Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw? How could it have gone wrong?...purest..." (pg 185 british). And the houses should unite.
    i don't remember that quote. and hasn't stated from the second book that Slythein and Gryffindor were enemys from the start.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    i don't remember that quote. and hasn't stated from the second book that Slythein and Gryffindor were enemys from the start.
    It IS in the book!!! Book 5 (pg 185 - British version) Sorting hat is singing!!!

ReputationRep:
    It DOES say they were friends- and trust me- if they were enemies they wouldn't CO-found a school- they never became ENEMIES really (at least it doesn't say they did) it just says they disagreed on what kind of students to take in- and at first it was all fine, but eventually, Slytherin disagreed so much he left- thats all we know of the story-

we know the dementors CANNOT tell about Polyjuice potion- Barty Crouch jr says so in book 4- his mother took it when she traded places with him, remember? they never knew and even buried her not knowing- and he says that they can only sense the suffering, they can't see at ALL- they feel their way around like that-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brooklyn)
    It DOES say they were friends- and trust me- if they were enemies they wouldn't CO-found a school- they never became ENEMIES really (at least it doesn't say they did) it just says they disagreed on what kind of students to take in- and at first it was all fine, but eventually, Slytherin disagreed so much he left- thats all we know of the story-

we know the dementors CANNOT tell about Polyjuice potion- Barty Crouch jr says so in book 4- his mother took it when she traded places with him, remember? they never knew and even buried her not knowing- and he says that they can only sense the suffering, they can't see at ALL- they feel their way around like that-
    You're absolutely brilliant!!!

ReputationRep:
    You're absolutely brilliant!!!
    alright, alright. you don't need to gloat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    alright, alright. you don't need to gloat.
    Gloating? I'm not proud of myself, I'm proud of Brooklyn!!
    Anyway how DARE you call yourself a harry potter fan when you heven't memorised the books word for word?!? Absolutely SHAMEFUL!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if I'm getting a compliment or a sarcastic insult- I'll take the former I guess-

I've always been able to remember odd little details in books- HP is just one of those series that has little details that matter- I could probably think up details from the Chronicles of Narnia as well, and I haven't read those in about 7 years

Good rule of thumb in HP- if someone just says something like its not important, it will be huge in two books

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brooklyn)
    I'm not sure if I'm getting a compliment or a sarcastic insult- I'll take the former I guess-

I've always been able to remember odd little details in books- HP is just one of those series that has little details that matter- I could probably think up details from the Chronicles of Narnia as well, and I haven't read those in about 7 years

Good rule of thumb in HP- if someone just says something like its not important, it will be huge in two books
    the lion the witch and the wardrobe rule!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    And we still don't know where the Potters got all that money from.
    Life insurance? :P

---

Just struggled through the last 7 pages or something and had a few points, now forgotten. Ah well...

---

1 thing- I think it'd be a bit cheesy if half the characters turned out to be the heirs of the houses, though I suppose it could happen.

ReputationRep:
    It would be WAY too cheesy if the heirs were all the same age- maybe they'll be all different ages- although if Voldie is the last of Slytherin's heirs, there can't be any more for that line, can there?

ReputationRep:
    It IS in the book!!! Book 5 (pg 185 - British version) Sorting hat is singing!!!
    I reckon that the Sorting hat song will be very important in the later books. For one, the houses will have to work together in order to defeat Voldie. I reckon that this may start with Draco going against his father, and siding with Harry (I still think that Draco might end up helping the order, esp to help inter-house relations).
    Brooklyn, how many of your posts have come in this thread? (go to the books, movies etc page; move your mouse cursor over the envelope near this thread, and it will show you the number if posts on this thread)

ReputationRep:
    To Old Brook' Girl:
    It was a compliment.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.