Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I don't know whether anyone spotted this but the madam Marsh in the knight bus in book 5 pg 465 is actually the SAME madam marsh in book 3 when Haryy is in the Knight Bus. What does this mean? Is she following Harry around? Is a spy from the dark or light? Who is she?
    Tell me I'm the one who came up with this *she looks up with puppy eyes*.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt that harry will die, although it is very possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brooklyn)
    It would be WAY too cheesy if the heirs were all the same age- maybe they'll be all different ages- although if Voldie is the last of Slytherin's heirs, there can't be any more for that line, can there?
    well technically noone with two parents would be the heir. But people like Luna where books have only mentioned one of their parents could be the heir if the blood of their house's founder was from their unmentioned parent.
    Another thought, could Harry be both the Heir to Gryffindor and the heir to another house? Would that make him the heir to hogwarts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blush Babe)
    I don't know whether anyone spotted this but the madam Marsh in the knight bus in book 5 pg 465 is actually the SAME madam marsh in book 3 when Haryy is in the Knight Bus. What does this mean? Is she following Harry around? Is a spy from the dark or light? Who is she?
    Tell me I'm the one who came up with this *she looks up with puppy eyes*.
    It occurred to me, but i thought that since Madame Marsh was on the bus at night in book 3 and in the morning in book 5 that she was merely commuting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerline)
    I doubt that harry will die, although it is very possible.
    I find it very doubtful that he will die. If he dies it will show that the most powerful wizards in the book that are protecting him are useless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    well technically noone with two parents would be the heir. But people like Luna where books have only mentioned one of their parents could be the heir if the blood of their house's founder was from their unmentioned parent.
    Another thought, could Harry be both the Heir to Gryffindor and the heir to another house? Would that make him the heir to hogwarts?
    Has Luna lost both parents? This means that Luna could be one of the heirs, which would make sense, cos J K Rowling might have brought her into the story for this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Has Luna lost both parents? This means that Luna could be one of the heirs, which would make sense, cos J K Rowling might have brought her into the story for this.
    I thought just her mom died?

Whats the worst ending you can think of?
    I would have to say harry and hermy and ron and malfoy turn out to be heirs (if not them then some other classmates) and they have to re-unite the houses to beat volde. Ughhh about as bad as a good dobby scene in the movies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    I thought just her mom died?

Whats the worst ending you can think of?
    I would have to say harry and hermy and ron and malfoy turn out to be heirs (if not them then some other classmates) and they have to re-unite the houses to beat volde. Ughhh about as bad as a good dobby scene in the movies
    I tried to get this across in my last post but all i did was, i'm sure, confuse everyone includeing myself. What i was trying to say is that there can only be one living heir to each house. Since we know that Voldemort is the heir of slytherin then we know that Malfoy can't be. Also Harry Ron and Hermione can't all be heirs since they are in the same house. I really doubt that the heirs will be that important although I could see a showdown between the heir of Slytherin (Voldemort) and the heir of Gryfindor (Harry?) just to finish whatever differences that they had to start off with.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sad to say that i wasn't here for the first 250 pages of posts but i'm glad to see that this thread has almost reached 300 pages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    It occurred to me, but i thought that since Madame Marsh was on the bus at night in book 3 and in the morning in book 5 that she was merely commuting.
    JK Rowling never throws a random name and leaves it that. Nothing is a coincidence. It's all planned out. Remember in Book 1 she only mentions Sirius Black briefly and then there's a whole book about him two years later!! I think Madam Marsh is important to the plot....

ReputationRep:
    JK Rowling never throws a random name and leaves it that. Nothing is a coincidence. It's all planned out. Remember in Book 1 she only mentions Sirius Black briefly and then there's a whole book about him two years later!! I think Madam Marsh is important to the plot....
    i suppose your right. I wouldn't mind knowing if we are going to see Sirius flying motorbike again.

ReputationRep:
    I know lots of stuff comes up again but surely not everything is there for a reason. Somethings are just made up , for example the authors of the books they have to study each year, theres loads of names but none of them, execpt for gilderoy have been important in any way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woody)
    I know lots of stuff comes up again but surely not everything is there for a reason. Somethings are just made up , for example the authors of the books they have to study each year, theres loads of names but none of them, execpt for gilderoy have been important in any way.
    Yes they have. For example the caretakers first name is Argus and he is a creature from Greek myth. He was the guy who had eyeballs covering his body. Quite a good name for someone who is always watching the students.

ReputationRep:
    The caretaker isn't an author?

Names like Miranda Goshawk or something like that who write the books of spells.

Though I didn't know that argus meant that, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Yes but authors are different from breathing people in flesh. They could be their pen names for all we know...
    How can you get your questions answered in an interview with JK Rowling (the internet ones) ? I would love for someone to ask her about Madam Marsh....Do you know when the next interview is?
    Did you know a new trailer is coming up?
    To Mr Dude: Actually I doubt you'll ever see Sirius again, let alone him flying on his motorcycle. Unless it's in a dream or a pensieve...

ReputationRep:
    To Mr Dude: Actually I doubt you'll ever see Sirius again, let alone him flying on his motorcycle. Unless it's in a dream or a pensieve...
    Ah, time to prove you wrong. For someone whos knows it Word for Word you seem to forgetting something.

Sirius gave his flying motorbike to Hagrid. Said he won't be needing it anymore. So as far as we know, Hagrid still has it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaft)
    wow...big harry potter fan?

anyway a red herring is a false clue...something that misleads you in the plot.

> I think we can take it for granted that everyone in the wizarding public know that Crouch is dead
    >I think that there is a major thing about why Dumbledore believes Snape...I believe that this will be linked with the ending...and I also think that Dumbledore is going to die...
    > In book 5 The deatheaters say that it was impossible for Voldemort to get into the m.o.m. to get the prophecy because everyone was on the lookout for him and yet Lestrange who was also on the run managed to...? Why?
    Hey, had quite a bit of catching up to do, so I'm sorry this is a bit of an old post, but I wanted to try and clear a couple of things up.

The general wizarding public think that Crouch Jr is dead. They think he died in Azkaban. During book 5 they didn't know any different because Fudge was covering up Voldemort's return, and the circumstances surrounding it. I reckon they might know about it now because of Harry's article.

Voldemort might not know that he is dead (well soulless) though. Voldemort knows he didn't die in Azkaban because Voldemort was the one who turned up at the Crouch family home with Wormtail and put Crouch Sr under the Imperius curse and asked Crouch Jr to go to Hogwarts and be the fake Moody, but its possible that he doesn't know of his death, and Snape could be impersonating Crouch, although I would've thought that Voldemort would've wondered where Crouch was. Hmmm...

Just a point about the dementors, they can't see, they can only sense peoples suffering. Sirius managed to escape because he was less human as a dog and could slip past them. It also says that when Crouch escaped the dementors could sense one dying person and one healthy person arrive and the same leave. The polyjuice potion was probably mainly for the benefit of the other prisoners, so they didn't see that it wasn't Crouch in the cell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    Ah, time to prove you wrong. For someone whos knows it Word for Word you seem to forgetting something.

Sirius gave his flying motorbike to Hagrid. Said he won't be needing it anymore. So as far as we know, Hagrid still has it.
    But doesn't Hgrid also say he'd best be getting the bike back? I might be very wrong though, what was that site with all the books on? Seriously considering carrying my copies with me at all times for such emergencies!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)

Nice!! I completely forgot about that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    But doesn't Hgrid also say he'd best be getting the bike back? I might be very wrong though, what was that site with all the books on? Seriously considering carrying my copies with me at all times for such emergencies!
    From the conversation in the third book at the 3 Broomsticks between the teachers, I got the impression that Hagrid never found Sirius. So hagrid should still have the bike unless he gave it to somebody who would have a use for it like Moody? But maybe Harry will get it for Christmas.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.