Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

ReputationRep:
    i have been rereading some of the posts on this thread and i was thinking.....how gutted would we be if after the seventh book we still had questions we wanted anwering? JK wouldnt do that to us.....would she???

ReputationRep:
    She HAS said that when they are all finished she will answer questions about everything- in fact, she has said that a book about everything might be a possibility after she takes a break from it all- that would be kind of interesting- maybe we could find out what killed Nearly Headless Nick in 1492, who the grey lady and fat friar are, why the Bloody Baron is bloody- if the barman at the Hog's Head is really Aberforth Dumbledore...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    so in a way, we are better fans because we have had to use our imagination from the start.
    how does using your imagination make you a better fan? We dont have like full color pictures showing the whole chapter, just a tiny little black sketch relating to the title of the chapter

Who thinks Pansy is incredably annoying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brooklyn)
    new theory for the end- Voldie battles Dumbledore- weakens him, then possesses him- Harry has to choose to destroy them both or not, but he loves Dumbledore so much, and he finds a way to send that love like a spell, that it destroys Voldie, leaving Dumbledore weak (maybe dies after some dramatic line)- what do you think?
    Not sure about the posession of Dumblydore thing. i mean it's sort of similar to the harry potter connection to Voldie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Not sure about the posession of Dumblydore thing. i mean it's sort of similar to the harry potter connection to Voldie.
    well we know volde is afraid is dumbledore, but i believe this is bcuz volde thinks dumbledore can kill him, when only harry can, however this depends on how u interpret the prophecy. However, i dont think volde can be killed by ne one besides harry, because i see no other reason that he (dumbledore) would not have tried to kill vodle in their duel in OoTP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ohm Pot Cleaner)
    Personally I don't care how they look, I care about how they act. And they can't. They should have chosen ACTORS not kids that just look like the characters. You can make an actor look the part (evidence, Lord of the Rings) but you can't make someone who looks the part, act.
    i was just about to disagree when i read the latter part of your post and i have to say that i somewhat agree. although sometimes, you have to base it first on the looks because when you read the book, you already have this idea of this person or something... but then again, i just realized that you could probably give an actor a make-over anyway. anyhow, i didn't like malfoy's new look. the way his hair was parted at the middle made him look like a butt :P kidding! they could act... well, some of them. i think the girl for hermione was perfect. Dan, however... needs more acting lessons. maybe he improved already. coz he was better in the 2nd movie than in the 1st one.

ReputationRep:
    She HAS said that when they are all finished she will answer questions about everything- in fact, she has said that a book about everything might be a possibility after she takes a break from it all- that would be kind of interesting- maybe we could find out what killed Nearly Headless Nick in 1492, who the grey lady and fat friar are, why the Bloody Baron is bloody- if the barman at the Hog's Head is really Aberforth Dumbledore...
    I'd love her to write Hogwarts, A History at some point, that'd answer most of the questions like the ones about the ghosts, and I'll be very disappointed if it doesn't have at least 1000 pages (I remember Hermione saying that in over 1000 pages there wasn't one mention of house elves at Hogwarts!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladyblitzer)
    i was just about to disagree when i read the latter part of your post and i have to say that i somewhat agree. although sometimes, you have to base it first on the looks because when you read the book, you already have this idea of this person or something... but then again, i just realized that you could probably give an actor a make-over anyway. anyhow, i didn't like malfoy's new look. the way his hair was parted at the middle made him look like a butt :P kidding! they could act... well, some of them. i think the girl for hermione was perfect. Dan, however... needs more acting lessons. maybe he improved already. coz he was better in the 2nd movie than in the 1st one.
    To tell you the truth I think the main problem was that the kids weren't big HP fans like we are. Same with the script writers. They were trying to hard to make it look like we'd want it to that they forgot that the reason we love the books are the character's personalities and the clever writing! If the actors had known their characters inside out like we do, they would have done a better job. Maybe they're getting better (a very tiny bit) because they are getting to know their character's better? And becasue of some very expensive acting lessons. All I can say is I hope it pays off. Because I don't think I can bare to have POA ruined in my mind by bad acting...that one's always been my fav for some reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    I'd love her to write Hogwarts, A History at some point, that'd answer most of the questions like the ones about the ghosts, and I'll be very disappointed if it doesn't have at least 1000 pages (I remember Hermione saying that in over 1000 pages there wasn't one mention of house elves at Hogwarts!)
    I doubt she'd write Hogwarts A History as its so long, but I can imagine her writing a Harry Potter encyclopedia which includes are the characters, their history, places in the book (and their histories), and all the magical creatures etc...except we kinda got a bit of those already in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. Coz I think it's impossible for her to reveal the answers to ALL the mysteries in the last two books and she always said that as the author she needs to know more about her characters than the readers will ever know.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt she'd write Hogwarts A History as its so long, but I can imagine her writing a Harry Potter encyclopedia which includes are the characters, their history, places in the book (and their histories), and all the magical creatures etc...except we kinda got a bit of those already in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. Coz I think it's impossible for her to reveal the answers to ALL the mysteries in the last two books and she always said that as the author she needs to know more about her characters than the readers will ever know.
    I don't think it would be that hard for her to write. She's said lots of times that she has hundreds of notebooks with lots of backstory and information about all the characters and events and things. Surely it would just be a case of editting all those sorts of things together rather than actually writting a whole book.

ReputationRep:
    She's not going to reveal ALL the secrets- we don't NEED to know them all-

I thought the actors were ok-just not great- you're right, they need to love their characters more-

what year was it that Dumbledore defeated Grindelwald again?

ReputationRep:
    Personally I don't care how they look, I care about how they act. And they can't. They should have chosen ACTORS not kids that just look like the characters. You can make an actor look the part (evidence, Lord of the Rings) but you can't make someone who looks the part, act.
    what do u mean that they should have chosen Actors. Daniel Radcliff is an actor. He played David Copperfield.

ReputationRep:
    She's not going to reveal ALL the secrets- we don't NEED to know them all-

I thought the actors were ok-just not great- you're right, they need to love their characters more-

what year was it that Dumbledore defeated Grindelwald again?
    Dumbledore defeated Grindelwald in 1945- yeah, that's what I noticed. The end of the Second World War...influenced Hitler, I spose?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    what do u mean that they should have chosen Actors. Daniel Radcliff is an actor. He played David Copperfield.
    But no one would guess by his performance in HP movies. Sorry...I just can't like them. But I'll always love the books.

ReputationRep:
    hmm- Grindelwald is Hitler, than who is Dumbledore?
    also- what threat of the early 80s and then the 90s is Voldemort? maybe Sadaam? I know she spent alot of time in Brazil, but I wonder where else she's gone- is there someone in England especially evil? Or Brazil? lots to think on.....

just read the grossest fan fic, where Fred and George are lovers...

ReputationRep:
    also- what threat of the early 80s and then the 90s is Voldemort? maybe Sadaam? I know she spent alot of time in Brazil, but I wonder where else she's gone- is there someone in England especially evil? Or Brazil? lots to think on.....

I dunno about Grindelwald BEING Hitler...more like he influenced him. But it would be interesting if JK tried to persue that plot line. How she would back it up.
    And I think Harry was supposed to be born in 1980 (read it online somewhere...several times so I hope it's right) which means Voldie would have been in power from 1968 to 1981. Maybe this bad period was described as the "Cold War" to Muggles? Except that started from as early as 1945. I'm studying the Cold War at the mo...(supposed to be a writing an essay on it right now...)

Fred and George as lovers? Twins? Incest in the grossest form.

ReputationRep:
    well, we know Voldie was in school in 1942 (at least 5th year or above), which means he could very well have worked for or with Grindelwald, who was stopped in 1945- or at least gotten something off of him- I just feel like there is more behind the Grindelwald thing- maybe Dumbledore IS Grindelwald- heehee- I seriously don't think that-

hmm- ok- 1945- Grindelwald defeated, end of WW2

late 60's to 70's- Voldie gaining power, deaths everywhere, the Marauders in school- nuclear weapons- in Argentina, period of Los Desaparecedos (sp wrong) (period where the government took military control and anyone who disagreed or didn't bow to the power would literally dissapear off the streets never to be seen again (they've found alot of old mass graves recently)

end of 70's-1980- Order of the Phoenix working- mass murder- prophecy- Voldie defeated (temporarily)- UN passes laws on the use of nucs severely limiting who has them- tension in the middle East escalates-

1991 onward- war in middle east- more war in middle east- Harry comes to school- Voldie returning to power- (hey the Quidditch World Cup is kind of like the Olympics with people cheering for their country, isn't it?)

which leaves us where we are today- I guess I only see vague corrollations- (sp?) - but sh ehas said she bases almost everything off of somethign she has read or studied or heard-

ReputationRep:
    well, we know Voldie was in school in 1942 (at least 5th year or above), which means he could very well have worked for or with Grindelwald, who was stopped in 1945- or at least gotten something off of him- I just feel like there is more behind the Grindelwald thing- maybe Dumbledore IS Grindelwald- heehee- I seriously don't think that-

late 60's to 70's- Voldie gaining power, deaths everywhere, the Marauders in school- nuclear weapons- in Argentina, period of Los Desaparecedos (sp wrong) (period where the government took military control and anyone who disagreed or didn't bow to the power would literally dissapear off the streets never to be seen again (they've found alot of old mass graves recently)

end of 70's-1980- Order of the Phoenix working- mass murder- prophecy- Voldie defeated (temporarily)- UN passes laws on the use of nucs severely limiting who has them- tension in the middle East escalates-

1991 onward- war in middle east- more war in middle east- Harry comes to school- Voldie returning to power- (hey the Quidditch World Cup is kind of like the Olympics with people cheering for their country, isn't it?)

which leaves us where we are today- I guess I only see vague corrollations- (sp?) - but sh ehas said she bases almost everything off of somethign she has read or studied or heard-
    Interesting correlation...it also could mean that the big finale of the harry potter books maybe somewhere in world history already....something in 1998?

RI

ReputationRep:

afraid were strechting this one... in my opinion, grindelwald defeat is jsut a coincidence, and in a time when war is becoming more regular, fighting in books.... i cant say what i mean, i jsut think it is pure coicindence

ReputationRep:

eeew. yuck. that IS overly gross.

aaah, that correlating is so cool although I never really thought, even though we're supposed to be living in the same world, that the world wars, etc. would also be happening in Harry Potter. the only war i see is the struggle between muggles and wizards all over the world, and voldie is known internationally as this mass killer...

ahaha, did anyone just understand that? :P

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.