Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ohm Pot Cleaner)
    To tell you the truth I think the main problem was that the kids weren't big HP fans like we are. Same with the script writers. They were trying to hard to make it look like we'd want it to that they forgot that the reason we love the books are the character's personalities and the clever writing! If the actors had known their characters inside out like we do, they would have done a better job. Maybe they're getting better (a very tiny bit) because they are getting to know their character's better? And becasue of some very expensive acting lessons. All I can say is I hope it pays off. Because I don't think I can bare to have POA ruined in my mind by bad acting...that one's always been my fav for some reason.
    yes, probably. i don't like PoA to get ruined as well coz that's one of my favorite book in the series (other is GoF).

but maybe... we just expected to much from the movies. I mean, we should have known that we should not have expected it to be that great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladyblitzer)
    yes, probably. i don't like PoA to get ruined as well coz that's one of my favorite book in the series (other is GoF).

but maybe... we just expected to much from the movies. I mean, we should have known that we should not have expected it to be that great.
    Ditto. I love PoA! The movies will barely ever live up to our expectations from the books. Your imagination gives you one picture, and the movie gives another. Plus perhaps some scenes in the book which we may consider to be important are not included.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Ditto. I love PoA! The movies will barely ever live up to our expectations from the books. Your imagination gives you one picture, and the movie gives another. Plus perhaps some scenes in the book which we may consider to be important are not included.
    most likely those scenes will be our favorites

ReputationRep:
    hi all. I'm completely new to this fantastic forum, so apologies if this has been discussed already to death, but in the JKR interview with Jeremy Paxman before the release of OoTP, she said:

"I don't really want to say as it will ruin all the fan sites. They have such fun with their theories... and it is fun, it is fun. And some of them even get quite close. No-one has ever - I have gone and looked at some of it and no-one's ever... There is one thing that if anyone guessed I would be really annoyed as it is kind of the heart of it all. And it kind of explains everything and no-one's quite got there but a couple of people have skirted it." (full interview at http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/u...000/3004878.stm)

Does anyone have any thoughts on what this one thing at the heart of it all might be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parvati)
    hi all. I'm completely new to this fantastic forum, so apologies if this has been discussed already to death, but in the JKR interview with Jeremy Paxman before the release of OoTP, she said:

"I don't really want to say as it will ruin all the fan sites. They have such fun with their theories... and it is fun, it is fun. And some of them even get quite close. No-one has ever - I have gone and looked at some of it and no-one's ever... There is one thing that if anyone guessed I would be really annoyed as it is kind of the heart of it all. And it kind of explains everything and no-one's quite got there but a couple of people have skirted it." (full interview at http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/u...000/3004878.stm)

Does anyone have any thoughts on what this one thing at the heart of it all might be?
    She can't have read them ALL though...and if some ppl have got close, I bet SOMEONE in the HP mad world has got it. We just gotta find them...haha (imagines a needle in a haystack)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brooklyn)
    well, we know Voldie was in school in 1942 (at least 5th year or above), which means he could very well have worked for or with Grindelwald, who was stopped in 1945- or at least gotten something off of him- I just feel like there is more behind the Grindelwald thing- maybe Dumbledore IS Grindelwald- heehee- I seriously don't think that-

hmm- ok- 1945- Grindelwald defeated, end of WW2

late 60's to 70's- Voldie gaining power, deaths everywhere, the Marauders in school- nuclear weapons- in Argentina, period of Los Desaparecedos (sp wrong) (period where the government took military control and anyone who disagreed or didn't bow to the power would literally dissapear off the streets never to be seen again (they've found alot of old mass graves recently)

end of 70's-1980- Order of the Phoenix working- mass murder- prophecy- Voldie defeated (temporarily)- UN passes laws on the use of nucs severely limiting who has them- tension in the middle East escalates-

1991 onward- war in middle east- more war in middle east- Harry comes to school- Voldie returning to power- (hey the Quidditch World Cup is kind of like the Olympics with people cheering for their country, isn't it?)

which leaves us where we are today- I guess I only see vague corrollations- (sp?) - but sh ehas said she bases almost everything off of somethign she has read or studied or heard-
    Like your reasoning. Voldie comes to power in 1968- invasion of Czechoslovakia by the Soviets, Americans have to abandon Vietnam and Martin Luther King assassinated. Significant year I think.

early 1970s- period of Detente when two Superpowers attempt negotiation and to restrict arms race. Fails, especially after Nixon...
    Soviets invade Afghanistan in 1979, at the height of Voldie's power. Also, rise of China as a Superpower in this period. Another nuclear power. Soviets fail to meet US's terms on Human Rights.

What I don't get is that in 1981 when Harry beats Voldie and gets his scar, the Cold War continued...like the events in Poland of that year. Did something significant happen in Britain? Does anyone know? Or perhaps the continuation of mass killings is the result of Voldie's supporters going crazy that he's gone?

I hope JK goes into all this in her next couple of books. History of Magic. Professor Binns, bring it on! We're tired of hearing about the Goblin Wars.

ReputationRep:
    i have just been on the jk interview with paxman and it was great! i cant believe ive never read it before! the link up there didnt work for me so in case it doesnt work for ne1 else ill put it here http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertain...ts/3004456.stm its the first time ive done this so it might not work!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ohm Pot Cleaner)
    She can't have read them ALL though...and if some ppl have got close, I bet SOMEONE in the HP mad world has got it. We just gotta find them...haha (imagines a needle in a haystack)
    they might have gotten it and not relised it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    I'd love her to write Hogwarts, A History at some point, that'd answer most of the questions like the ones about the ghosts, and I'll be very disappointed if it doesn't have at least 1000 pages (I remember Hermione saying that in over 1000 pages there wasn't one mention of house elves at Hogwarts!)
    yay hogwarts, a history!!!!! that would be so great! i hope she does

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poowpoow)
    i have just been on the jk interview with paxman and it was great! i cant believe ive never read it before! the link up there didnt work for me so in case it doesnt work for ne1 else ill put it here http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertain...ts/3004456.stm its the first time ive done this so it might not work!
    i don't have to read it. i taped it when it was on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brooklyn)
    well, we know Voldie was in school in 1942 (at least 5th year or above), which means he could very well have worked for or with Grindelwald, who was stopped in 1945- or at least gotten something off of him- I just feel like there is more behind the Grindelwald thing- maybe Dumbledore IS Grindelwald- heehee- I seriously don't think that-

hmm- ok- 1945- Grindelwald defeated, end of WW2

late 60's to 70's- Voldie gaining power, deaths everywhere, the Marauders in school- nuclear weapons- in Argentina, period of Los Desaparecedos (sp wrong) (period where the government took military control and anyone who disagreed or didn't bow to the power would literally dissapear off the streets never to be seen again (they've found alot of old mass graves recently)

end of 70's-1980- Order of the Phoenix working- mass murder- prophecy- Voldie defeated (temporarily)- UN passes laws on the use of nucs severely limiting who has them- tension in the middle East escalates-

1991 onward- war in middle east- more war in middle east- Harry comes to school- Voldie returning to power- (hey the Quidditch World Cup is kind of like the Olympics with people cheering for their country, isn't it?)

which leaves us where we are today- I guess I only see vague corrollations- (sp?) - but sh ehas said she bases almost everything off of somethign she has read or studied or heard-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    they might have gotten it and not relised it.

STOP CHATTIN **** MAN LES GET ON 2 DIZ **** HU OUT THERE WANNA CHAT :cool: PEACE

ReputationRep:
    have you guys read the transcript of JK Rowling´s interview? she answered a lot of questions.
    if you haven´t go to http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/JK...okDay2004.html

ReputationRep:
    hmmm thats given me some things to think about....although she didnt say nething concrete she was v revealing!

is snape the death eater who will never return?? it is isnt it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    i don't have to read it. i taped it when it was on.
    lucky you! i never got to see any jk interviews, but i taped a lot of happy potter specials... like the making of the 2 movies, and one in discovery channel about the "history" of magic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poowpoow)
    hmmm thats given me some things to think about....although she didnt say nething concrete she was v revealing!

is snape the death eater who will never return?? it is isnt it?
    i think so. grrr... i really want to know Snape's story.

ReputationRep:
    yeah me too.... i wonder what made him swap sides...

ReputationRep:
    That was the most useful thing in the world !!

So- we know in book 6, Ginny becomes louder, Harry hooks up with some girl (I'm hoping those two coincide), Wormtail comes back to repay his debt, we learn so much about the Marauders that we don't need a prequel- and we find out what happened to the Potter grandparents- plus Harry is less angsty- sounds like a fantastic book!

How annoying were all those people who got to ask questions who obviously hadn't read carefully? I already knew Sybill Trewlawney's middle name was Patricia (although I dont remember how)- and who cares what power she wishes she had or what she would do wiht a day with Harry? come on- the other stuff was interesting though- Like Ron's middle name

I'm so happy they did that interview! I hope there are more!

ReputationRep:
    And we know that the mauraders were in gryffindor!

ReputationRep:
    All together alot of weird rumors put to rest- maruaders were in Gryffindor, Draco and Hermione are only children- how old Bill and Charlie are- sigh- that interview made me so happy- anyone know when the next is?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.