Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I know some people can't click over, so here is the interview (I erased the stupid questions for length (i.e if you took Polyjuice who would you be, etc)

J.K. Rowling's World Book Day Chat: March 4, 2004

kylie: Thanks for writing such wonderful books, Ms Rowling . Just one question: What are Ron, Hermione and Ginny's middle names? Thank you
    JK Rowling replies -> My pleasure Middle names: Ginny is Molly, of course, Hermione 'Jane' and Ron, poor boy, is Bilius.

Sirius Riddle: What houses were Sirius Black, Remus Lupin, James Potter and Remus Lupin in?
    JK Rowling says: This is JK herself saying that they were indeed in Gryffindor!

Adele: Thanks for the interview! So... will Harry be receiving a second kiss in his last two years at Hogwarts?
    JK Rowling replies -> He might well be receiving another kiss (or two) but I'm not saying who the kisser's going to be..

kylie: What does the "J" in Remus J Lupin stand for?
    JK Rowling replies -> 'John'. Boring but true!

Rita: Whatever happend to Sirius' flying motorbike?
    JK Rowling replies -> Ah, good question. You'll find out, but the real sleuths among you might be able to guess.

Rita: What about Wormtail? Is there hope for redemption?
    JK Rowling replies -> There's always hope, of course. You'll find out more about our rat-like friend in book six.

Rita: What happend to Harry's grandparents? Will we ever learn about them?
    JK Rowling replies -> They're all dead and not particularly important to the story, although you will find out a little bit more.

Kelpie_8: Will the two way mirror Sirius gave Harry ever show up again?
    JK Rowling replies -> Ooooo good question. There's your answer.

SiriuslyLovinSirius: If we ever see Sirius again, what form will he be in?
    JK Rowling replies -> I couldn't possibly answer that for fear of incriminating myself.

polly weasley: Will Harry fall for another girl in book six, or will he be too busy for romance?
    JK Rowling replies -> He'll be busy, but what's life without a little romance?

Sirius Kase: Will we get to know the Grangers? Is Hermione an only child?
    JK Rowling replies -> I always planned that Hermione would have a younger sister but she's never made an appearance and somehow it feels like it might be too late now.

mnich: Was Voldemort born evil?
    JK Rowling replies -> I don't believe that anybody was born evil. You will find out more about the circumstances of his birth in the next book.

HG: Will we see Moaning Myrtle again?
    JK Rowling replies -> Oh yes, I love Myrtle, I couldn't shut her out for long.

HG: What is Trelawney's middle name (the one with the P)?
    JK Rowling replies -> Patricia.

Adele: Will poor Harry be stuck at the Dursleys' all next summer?
    JK Rowling replies -> Not all summer, no. In fact, he has the shortest stay in Privet Drive so far.

Wild Rose: Will we see more of Narcissa Malfoy now that Lucius is unavailale?
    JK Rowling replies -> Yes, you will.

Amy: What did Dudley see when he faced the Dementors in book five?
    JK Rowling replies -> Ah, good question. You'll find out!

HPFreak7: How are muggle parents convinced to let their kids go to Hogwarts, a strange place they never heard of before; and wouldn't they think it was a practical joke?
    JK Rowling replies -> In the case of Muggle parents, special messengers are sent to explain everything to them. But don't forget that they will have noticed that there's something strange about their child for the previous ten years, so it won't come as a complete bolt from the blue.

Ernie: I wonder if you can let us know what form will Professor Snape's Boggart and Patronus take? I am very curious.
    JK Rowling replies -> Well, I'm not going to tell you Ernie, but that's because it would give so much away. I wonder whether Ernie is your real name? (It was my grandfather's).

bertieana: Will we be seeing Krum again any time soon?
    JK Rowling replies -> You will see Krum again, though not soon.

Adele: Who are the two "unknown Gryffindor girls" in Harry's year?
    JK Rowling replies -> Oh, I've just understood what you mean. I haven't got the notebook to hand and I can't remember! That's terrible. I'll try and remember before the end of the chat!

Field: Do you plan for GInny to take on a major character role in the next two books?
    JK Rowling replies -> Well, now that Ginny has stopped being mute in Harry's presence I think you can see that she is a fairly forceful personality (and she always has been, remember Ron saying that she 'never shuts up' in Chamber of Secrets)?

Saskia: Hagrid mentioned he`s allergic to cats in PS why has he never sneezed when Crookshanks was around?
    JK Rowling replies -> He's never around Crookshanks very much. I'm allergic to cats and I can be in a room with one briefly. But of course, Crookshanks isn't all cat. Read 'Fantastic Beasts...'!

Luisa: How old are Charlie and Bill Weasley in relation to their other siblings?
    JK Rowling replies -> Oh dear, maths. Let me think. Bill is two years older than Charlie, who is two years older than Percy.

Kyla: What made Sirius decide to send Snape to the Willow?
    JK Rowling replies -> Because Sirius loathed Snape (and the feeling was entirely mutual). You'll find out more about this in due course.

kai: Where do wizarding children go to school before Hogwarts?
    JK Rowling replies -> They can either go to a Muggle primary school or they are educated at home. The Weasleys were taught by Mrs. Weasley.

faye109: Is 12 the maximum possible number of OWLs one can achieve?
    JK Rowling replies -> Yes, I think it is off the top of my head.

julesrbf: Where did you come up with the word "muggle"?
    JK Rowling replies -> I was looking for a word that suggested both foolishness and loveability. The word 'mug' came to mind, for somebody gullible, and then I softened it. I think 'muggle' sounds quite cuddly. I didn't know that the word 'muggle' had been used as drug slang at that point... ah well.

Siriusstar: Is Remus a pureblood?
    JK Rowling replies -> Half blood.

Luisa: Is Draco an only child?
    JK Rowling replies -> Yes. You wouldn't want more Dracos, would you?!

Ali: Why specifically does Dumbledore trust Snape?
    JK Rowling replies -> Another excellent and non-answerable question. I shall merely say that Snape has given Dumbledore his story and
    Dumbledore believes it.

Class A.G: Did you base Voldermort on any real people? If so are you related to them?!
    JK Rowling replies -> lol No I didn't base Voldemort on any real person!

gazza: will harry become head master of hogwarts
    JK Rowling replies -> I'm not sure I can see Harry in an academic career, he's seen so much action!

Cookie246122: Why did you kill Sirius? It made me very sad
    JK Rowling replies -> I'm really, really sorry. I didn't want to do it, but there was a reason. If you think you can forgive me, keep reading, you'll find out. [I feel really guilty now].

Megan: Is there a link between Snape and vampires?
    JK Rowling replies -> Erm... I don't think so.

Harry: Has Voldermort any children
    JK Rowling replies -> No. Voldemort as a father... now that's not a nice thought.

eastbrook4: why did Harry have to split up with Cho Chang?
    JK Rowling replies -> That's life, I'm afraid. They were never going to be happy, it was better that it ended early!

SnapesForte: Is Mad Eye Moody the real Moody this time? And if he is, is he up to something fishy? Because he's acting too muhc like Crouch jr - sniffing food etc
    JK Rowling replies -> It's the other way around - Crouch Jnr. acted just like the real Moody.

Catheldral school: Will wormtail ever pay harry back?
    JK Rowling replies -> You'll see... keep reading!

HarriFreak: Who is the 'one that never will return' deatheater? JK Rowling replies -> You have to work it out, but a lot of fansites have got it right.

Kings Park primery school: what will happen to hagrids half brother?
    JK Rowling replies -> You'll find out in book six. Luckily he's become a little more controllable.

miggs: Is there going to be a new minister of magic in the next books?
    JK Rowling replies -> Yes. Ha! Finally, a concrete bit of information, I hear you cry!

Bobby: Any thoughts about a prequel series?
    JK Rowling replies -> No, no prequels here. You won't need them by the time I've finished, you'll have all the back story you'll need!

ReputationRep:
    As yet have read only the beginning, but it caught my eye that there is a hint that the two-way mirror might be used again. But what for.... Also I reckon that Sirius might have left his motorbike to Harry in his will. Aaah, you never know whether J K Rowling is throwing in red herrings or not. For example, when she says about whether or not Harry is Godric's descendent or not. I'm thinking yes, but it could be a red herring.

ReputationRep:
    JK Rowling replies -> Well, he's already there! The question is, whether the new Quidditch Captain will allow him to stay!

What could this mean. It seems as if Harry will be the new captain. Do Ron and Harry have an argument or something?

ReputationRep:
    i can't believe it. We knew it would happen. The person who won the Newsround comp asked a really stupid question. Who cares who she would turn into with the Polyjuice Potion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    i can't believe it. We knew it would happen. The person who won the Newsround comp asked a really stupid question. Who cares who she would turn into with the Polyjuice Potion
    I thought that most of the competition winners' questions were not really very useful.

ReputationRep:
    Ernie: I wonder if you can let us know what form will Professor Snape's Boggart and Patronus take? I am very curious.
    JK Rowling replies -> Well, I'm not going to tell you Ernie, but that's because it would give so much away. I wonder whether Ernie is your real name? (It was my grandfather's).

I think Snapes boggart may be James and his patronus might be Lily!

ReputationRep:
    JK said that Charlie was two years older than Percy, but that can´t be true because in book 1 Ron says "we haven´t won sice Charlie left" and in book 3 someone says that Gryffindor hadn´t won in seven years. so if Charlie left Hogwarts Seven years before Harry´s third year, he must be 27 or 28. According to JK, Charlie is 22 or 23.

I don´t know if i explained myself clearly but what do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    How would a muggle accountant be of so much help to Harry?
    The suggestion was that this muggle accountant, related to the Weasleys, could also be related, distantly perhaps, to Lily Potter, who is assumed to have no wizard relations. Interesting idea I suppose. That'd make Harry and related to the Weasleys too.

(Original post by Dude)
    I'm sure that JK just said it was a cousin of the Weasleys and never said that he/she was a muggle.

Why are people obsessed with the idea of Mark Evans. Have you thought that Evans could just be just a common name, with nothing to do with Harry what so ever.
    Well, as someone said, it's possible it was a red herring, but either way JK always carefully considers her names. And there was also the fact that the boy just happened to be 10, which would make him 11 for this book, the right age to be heading to secondary school. Hogwarts?

(Original post by moncal)
    Didn't dumbledore say at the first of the first book that the dursleys were harry's only living relatives?
    Yes, but they could be very distant relations, or simply unknown due to various separations etc.

(Original post by Brooklyn)
    I think it extremely likely that Harry has a godmother- there's just something keeping her away- like Sirius- or else shes evil- or else its Petunia- yuck...
    Harry needs to inspect the wedding photo in more detail, I daresay it'd give us some more clues as to his parent's closer friends and relations.

---

Thanks for the various interview links and transcripts, very interesting, and some of them confirm various things people have been discussing for a long time.

Great.

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe she gave so much away, now MoM huh? Seems like everyone else except me expected it. Also, the deather eater that didn't return, it must be kakoroff, right? Finally we can put away the snape vampire thing. So we were right, crookshanks is part kneezel umm how is lucuis "unavalible"? So the grandparents are gone... i almsot wonder if she made all those middle names up on the spot

ReputationRep:
    Adele: Will poor Harry be stuck at the Dursleys' all next summer?
    JK Rowling replies -> Not all summer, no. In fact, he has the shortest stay in Privet Drive so far.
    Ah, well, that changes my thoughts. I'd been wondering whether Harry would write and say he didn't want to leave during the holidays, with whatever excuse, because surely he must realise how dangerous his presence is, if you get me. People around Harry are killed- his parents, Cedric, Sirius. I'd have thought he'd be more weary.

---

It also confirms, amoung various things people have already mentioned, what we thought about Crookshanks being part Kneezle [sp?].

Heh- and what was being discussed the other day - 'kai: Where do wizarding children go to school before Hogwarts?
    JK Rowling replies -> They can either go to a Muggle primary school or they are educated at home. The Weasleys were taught by Mrs. Weasley. '

miggs: Is there going to be a new minister of magic in the next books?
    JK Rowling replies -> Yes. Ha! Finally, a concrete bit of information, I hear you cry!
    Ah ha! -I shall begin to discuss this tomorrow, but I really should go to bed now, I'm tired.

Thanks again for the link, it has revealed a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    Okay - so there are those who say Neville couldn't be the one "marked as [Vold's] equal." Why, exactly? If you insist that that phrase can only refer to physical "marking" or half-bloodness, consider this. Harry was half-blooded from the time he was born - it didn't have anything to do with anything that Vold. did to Harry. So, how does the fact that Harry is a half-blood have anything to do with being "marked?" The "mark" has something to do directly with an action taken by Vold. What could that be? Sure, it could be Harry - but only for one reason - Vold. caused Harry to be an orphan. Neville, through the actions of death-eaters led by Vold. - was caused to be an orphan as well. (More or less). Also, and this is KEY!! It doesn't say WHEN Vold. will mark "him" as an equal!!!!

PR
    Just a thought, but has anyone else suggested that Harry may be a pure blood? I mean, isn't a pure blood wizard one who was born to two wizarding parents? Both of Harry's parents were magic. Also, we don't know anything about Petunia and Lily's family. Petunia said in book 1 that her parents were so proud of her sister for getting into Hogwarts, most muggle parents would be confused, not over joyed. Perhaps Harry is a pure blood.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    I can't believe she gave so much away, now MoM huh? Seems like everyone else except me expected it. Also, the deather eater that didn't return, it must be kakoroff, right? Finally we can put away the snape vampire thing. So we were right, crookshanks is part kneezel umm how is lucuis "unavalible"? So the grandparents are gone... i almsot wonder if she made all those middle names up on the spot
    lucius is unavailable because he is in jail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    so in a way, we are better fans because we have had to use our imagination from the start.
    The pictures are just at the beginning of each chapter. They're really bad and they kind of ruin that chapter because you know something of what is going to happen. For example the chapter about Hagrid's story has a picture of a giant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brooklyn)
    She HAS said that when they are all finished she will answer questions about everything- in fact, she has said that a book about everything might be a possibility after she takes a break from it all- that would be kind of interesting- maybe we could find out what killed Nearly Headless Nick in 1492, who the grey lady and fat friar are, why the Bloody Baron is bloody- if the barman at the Hog's Head is really Aberforth Dumbledore...
    I know this is a touchy subject but i don't think she will do that because it will then be like Tolkein who wrote some more books explaining it all such as the simarrilon (Sp?) and the book of unfinished tales.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    how does using your imagination make you a better fan? We dont have like full color pictures showing the whole chapter, just a tiny little black sketch relating to the title of the chapter

Who thinks Pansy is incredably annoying?
    I do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaft)
    Interesting correlation...it also could mean that the big finale of the harry potter books maybe somewhere in world history already....something in 1998?

RI
    I guess we'll have an idea as to whether this theory is right and what will happen next after the next book.

ReputationRep:
    I guess this kills the hope for something like Hogwarts, a history.

Kirk Wilkins: Will you ever publish all your notebooks of information on the series? I am very interested in reading 150 pages on the history of the dementors!
    JK Rowling replies -> lol Who said there were 150 pages on the dementors??? I certainly didn't! I don't think I'll ever publish my notebooks. Too many revealing doodlings!

ReputationRep:
    gazza: will harry become head master of hogwarts
    JK Rowling replies -> I'm not sure I can see Harry in an academic career, he's seen so much action!

Either she slipped and this is proof that harry will live or she is tricking us. I've been reading the interview and other questions about what the characters will do she answers with something like, assuming they live.

ReputationRep:
    Why were so many questions repeated and did JKR pick the questions. Was this a live interview or was it online?

ReputationRep:
    moncal-
    Arg! That's 7 posts in a row. Please condense them into one post!

If you don't want to go back and do it this time then so be it, but please, in future, make the effort.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.