Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vegatiger)
    have you guys read the transcript of JK Rowling´s interview? she answered a lot of questions.
    if you haven´t go to http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/JK...okDay2004.html
    Just reading the interview and it's sparked some thoughts that have laid dorment in my mind for ages. What will Harry inherit from Sirius? Sirius is his godfather afterall, right, so Harry should be his heir? Will he get 12 Grimmauld Place? Will he get Sirius's old motorbike that's probably been hidden behind Hagrid's massive pumpkins all these years?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    I can't believe she gave so much away, now MoM huh? Seems like everyone else except me expected it. Also, the deather eater that didn't return, it must be kakoroff, right? Finally we can put away the snape vampire thing. So we were right, crookshanks is part kneezel umm how is lucuis "unavalible"? So the grandparents are gone... i almsot wonder if she made all those middle names up on the spot
    yeah I would have thought it was more likely to be Karkoroff than Snape, coz I always thought Snape was going to be a spy for the Order? Or is that too obvious?

ReputationRep:
    I think Percy is going to be Minister for Magic? Always wanted to be...and I can imagine that Fudge is going to lose the vote if there's an election because he deliberately ignored/denied the Voldie threat. But Percy for Minister...can't be much better, can it? Too like Crouch Snr.

Oh, and in answer to the question about Harry being pureblood. He is DEFINATELY half blood. Lily may have been a witch but she was muggle-born and that's the defination of a half-blood. Or at least that's what we've been led to believe. Because everyone in the books calls Lily muggle-born and Harry a half blood.

Sorry I didn't put it all in one post. I'm afraid I read that too late.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    I thought that most of the competition winners' questions were not really very useful.
    i know what you mean. Why would they ask questions that you knew she wasn't going to answer. e.g. why would you ask if Voldemort was going to die when you know very well that she aint going to answer it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ohm Pot Cleaner)
    I think Percy is going to be Minister for Magic? Always wanted to be...and I can imagine that Fudge is going to lose the vote if there's an election because he deliberately ignored/denied the Voldie threat. But Percy for Minister...can't be much better, can it? Too like Crouch Snr.

Oh, and in answer to the question about Harry being pureblood. He is DEFINATELY half blood. Lily may have been a witch but she was muggle-born and that's the defination of a half-blood. Or at least that's what we've been led to believe. Because everyone in the books calls Lily muggle-born and Harry a half blood.

Sorry I didn't put it all in one post. I'm afraid I read that too late.
    I'm not so sure about the MoM thing. People will wan Dumbledore no dount.

Lilly isn't a half blood. Lilly is muggle born, like Hermionie. Muggle borns who come to learn at Hogwarts are still muggleborns. Half bloods are when a witch/wizard have a muggle born parent and a wizard parant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    I'm not so sure about the MoM thing. People will wan Dumbledore no dount.

Lilly isn't a half blood. Lilly is muggle born, like Hermionie. Muggle borns who come to learn at Hogwarts are still muggleborns. Half bloods are when a witch/wizard have a muggle born parent and a wizard parant.
    sorry, that's what I meant..."that's the definition of half blood", I was talking in terms of Harry not Lily. Not clear, I realise now. His mother was muggle-born and his father was pureblood so Harry's half. But it does get confusing if you think about it. What do you call a person who's got a Squib (but a pureblood) and a muggle for their parents? Are they still a half...? And what about a person who's got a half blood and a muggle for parents? Are they quarter? It makes you realise how stupid it is of those who care about what blood you've got...like Voldie and co. Keep it simple: either you're a wizard or you're not.

ReputationRep:
    sorry, that's what I meant..."that's the definition of half blood", I was talking in terms of Harry not Lily. Not clear, I realise now. His mother was muggle-born and his father was pureblood so Harry's half. But it does get confusing if you think about it. What do you call a person who's got a Squib (but a pureblood) and a muggle for their parents? Are they still a half...? And what about a person who's got a half blood and a muggle for parents? Are they quarter? It makes you realise how stupid it is of those who care about what blood you've got...like Voldie and co. Keep it simple: either you're a wizard or you're not.
    we don't know if James is Pure blood. we are just assuming he is.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, what a lot to think about. I was sat reading the transcript this morning with a notebook so I could remember all the points I came up with! My friends think I'm a loser!

I was quite disappointed with the quality of some of the questions, and some of the things I really wanted answered weren't mentioned. Seriously people, you've got the chance to get your question answered by JKR, you ask something she's likely to give a proper solid answer to! Grrr!

I think I would've asked about Mark Evans, coincidence or something more important, whether Harry had a godmother, and also asked WHY Harry has never asked more about his parents, like how they got all their money and what they did for a living. basically tried to gain conformation on all my pet theories!

One of the things I noticed was she said the shape wasn't the most significant thing about Harry's scar. Did she just mean the whole connection thing, or is it something more?

I'm incredibly curious to find out what Dudley saw when he encountered the dementors, what does everyone else think?

Why did Sirius HAVE to die for the story to progress, obviously gonna be a big revelation later on.

Mr Weasley for Minister Of Magic!

Haha, I was right about Crookshanks, I'm sure other people spotted it too, but I was the first one on here to mention it!

I've very glad she did that intervbiew, we've got so much more to discuss now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    Hmmm, what a lot to think about. I was sat reading the transcript this morning with a notebook so I could remember all the points I came up with! My friends think I'm a loser!

I'm incredibly curious to find out what Dudley saw when he encountered the dementors, what does everyone else think?

Haha, I was right about Crookshanks, I'm sure other people spotted it too, but I was the first one on here to mention it!

I've very glad she did that intervbiew, we've got so much more to discuss now!
    I know, there is your prove Blush Babe. Confirmed by JK herself.

Maybe he saw Hagrid giving him the pigs tale again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    I know, there is your prove Blush Babe. Confirmed by JK herself.

Maybe he saw Hagrid giving him the pigs tale again.
    Hmmm, dunno, just seems like its something more important but the way she said it was a good question.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, dunno, just seems like its something more important but the way she said it was a good question.
    fair point. Maybe he saw something important. Like a death or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    fair point. Maybe he saw something important. Like a death or something.
    Yeah, I'm sure that being given a tail was very distressing, but it just seemed to be something quite big. I hope its something good!

I'm quite intrigued as to what part to two-way mirror could play as well, I was about to say not much because Harry smashed it, but D'oh, he's a wizard so could fix it again. Anyway, perhaps it will enable Harry to communicate with the Order secretly during school, but why would he need to, unless theres someone evil in school again, like Umbridge or fake Moody. hmmm, am just randomly typing words now!

ReputationRep:
    morning all-

remember when Harry tried to use the mirror and it didn't work, he said it was because Sirius didn't have the mirror with him when he fell through the veil- maybe he'll toss a mirror in?

New MoM- I'm sure its someone we don't know or have only passed over- probably a woman this time- I get the impression they switch back and forth- the one before Fudge was a woman- lets hope its not Umbridge- (shudders)

Glad we know Crookshanks is a Kneazel- maybe he's one of Mrs. Figg's- she seems to breed them

so much to talk about now!

Snape's boggart couldn't really be James- a boggart reflects your fears, not something you hate- on that note, if James wasn't pureblood, Snape would have said it in the memory when he called Lily a mudblood

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brooklyn)
    morning all-

remember when Harry tried to use the mirror and it didn't work, he said it was because Sirius didn't have the mirror with him when he fell through the veil- maybe he'll toss a mirror in?

New MoM- I'm sure its someone we don't know or have only passed over- probably a woman this time- I get the impression they switch back and forth- the one before Fudge was a woman- lets hope its not Umbridge- (shudders)

Glad we know Crookshanks is a Kneazel- maybe he's one of Mrs. Figg's- she seems to breed them

so much to talk about now!

Snape's boggart couldn't really be James- a boggart reflects your fears, not something you hate- on that note, if James wasn't pureblood, Snape would have said it in the memory when he called Lily a mudblood
    Hmmm, what about the possibility that it would represent Snape's father, he appeared to be scared of him when Harry intruded on his memories during occlumency.

Something I thought of early, I don't think that Snape is the one who is lost forever from the Deatheater circle, if Snape is acting as a spy, as we are lead to believe, he wouldn't have been welcomed back into the inner circle so readily. Not sure if that makes sense, but I know what I mean at least!

ReputationRep:
    Mr Weasley for Minister Of Magic!
    !
    I second that!
    What part wil Sirius play? In what form will he make an appearance? The mirror could be used for communication with the order.
    I reckon Harry will get more involved with the order than usual. Why will this be Harry's shortest stay at Pivet Drive? Something tells me that the move away will come very abruptly, maybe because of an attack!

ReputationRep:
    I've got some time to kill and noone else appears to be online to talk to me, so thought I'd go through and comment on some of the more interesting parts of the interview:

"Rita: What about Wormtail? Is there hope for redemption?
    JK Rowling replies -> There's always hope, of course. You'll find out more about our rat-like friend in book six"

Maybe its just me, but I interpretted this to mean theres a possibility of redemption, but it wasn't a certainty

"SiriuslyLovinSirius: If we ever see Sirius again, what form will he be in?
    JK Rowling replies -> I couldn't possibly answer that for fear of incriminating myself."

Interesting use of the word incriminating. Implying whether Sirius will return isn't certain, or am I reading too much into it?

"mnich: Was Voldemort born evil?
    JK Rowling replies -> I don't believe that anybody was born evil. You will find out more about the circumstances of his birth in the next book"

Hmmm, "circumstances of his birth", intriguing (sp!), makes it sound like his birth was something important, wonder what it could be, I'm sensing a more in depth discussion here!

"bertieana: Will we be seeing Krum again any time soon?
    JK Rowling replies -> You will see Krum again, though not soon."

So Krums gonna show up in book 7 rather than 6.

"Kyla: What made Sirius decide to send Snape to the Willow?
    JK Rowling replies -> Because Sirius loathed Snape (and the feeling was entirely mutual). You'll find out more about this in due course."

So theres an actual reason Sirius disliked Snape, rather than they just didn't get on, again, I feel we should discuss this point a bit more in due course.

"Ali: Why specifically does Dumbledore trust Snape?
    JK Rowling replies -> Another excellent and non-answerable question. I shall merely say that Snape has given Dumbledore his story and
    Dumbledore believes it."

Something we already knew, but still VERY interesting. Again, the phrasing she's used seems quite interesting. Alomost implying that Dumbledore was wrong to believe it. But I don't know, I'm just speculating.

"SnapesForte: Is Mad Eye Moody the real Moody this time? And if he is, is he up to something fishy? Because he's acting too muhc like Crouch jr - sniffing food etc
    JK Rowling replies -> It's the other way around - Crouch Jnr. acted just like the real Moody."

She didn't actually answer the question though.

Well, I think thats the majority of the main points. I know its long, but I'm really bored and don't have much else to do!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    I second that!
    What part wil Sirius play? In what form will he make an appearance? The mirror could be used for communication with the order.
    I reckon Harry will get more involved with the order than usual. Why will this be Harry's shortest stay at Pivet Drive? Something tells me that the move away will come very abruptly, maybe because of an attack!
    I hope its something good. Something to show that Voldemort is truely on the rise again, especially now he can come out into the open since Harry revealed that he was back.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, got several thoughts on what ppl have been suggesting.

I think Sirius will make a comeback but in a different form...like a sort of Guardian for Harry beyond the grave? I dunno, scetchy theory but at the same time it was just the way JK said she couldn't say anything without incriminating herself. Harry heard voices behind the veil, so there must be a way of communicating, right?
    And could Sirius be related to Snape? Sirius says that all Purebloods are related in some way because they had to have intermarriages as there weren't many Pureblood families. Could this be cause for enmity? Family feuds or something? I think Harry should take another look at that Family Tree at Grimmauld Place.

The two way mirror will be as useful as the Marauder's map. And it would make sense for Harry to use it to talk to the Order because JK did say something about Harry having to control his emotions so that he can be more useful to the Order.

Lastly, I can think of two suggestions as to why Harry has his shortest stay at Privet Drive he's ever had. It can't be that the Dursley's throw him out because that isn't really possible with Petunia under Dumbledore's thumb and the Advanced Guard protecting Harry. So it must be that Harry and the Dursley's lives are threatened if he stays there. Or, that, like I have already suggested, Harry inherits 12 Grimmauld Place from Sirius and so moves in? I hope Harry inherits Sirius's motorbike as well. And what'll happen to Buckbeak?

ReputationRep:
    Okay, got several thoughts on what ppl have been suggesting.

I think Sirius will make a comeback but in a different form...like a sort of Guardian for Harry beyond the grave? I dunno, scetchy theory but at the same time it was just the way JK said she couldn't say anything without incriminating herself. Harry heard voices behind the veil, so there must be a way of communicating, right?
    And could Sirius be related to Snape? Sirius says that all Purebloods are related in some way because they had to have intermarriages as there weren't many Pureblood families. Could this be cause for enmity? Family feuds or something? I think Harry should take another look at that Family Tree at Grimmauld Place.
    was it ever mentioned in the books that snape was pureblood? i mean if it wasn't, then we just assumed that he is coz he's a slytherin and hates mudbloods... but what if he isn't?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    I second that!
    could it be another dementor attack? or deatheater attack?

or maybe harry escaped again

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.