Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    If you think about it, he never spends a full summer at Privet Drive for one reason or another- so its not odd that he would hightail it out of there asap- I'm guessing before his birthday- maybe he'll get a 16th birthday party-

I'm pretty sure Snape is a pureblood, otherwise the Malfoy's would have nothing to do with him- plus the slytherin thing, plus him saying mudblood, plus I think having him NOT be would be adding way too much complications, and she doesn't really do that- she adds more STORY, but not more complications-

btw- everyone says she throws out red herrings, but when has she ever? we dont' have a clue if she's misleading us or if the truth will come out on the last page of book 7- I guess until then I take her as Dumbledore- always right, even if you don't see the proof until later-

ReputationRep:
    sorry- forgot-

I don't think Sirius will "come back" I think she is refering to memories or a seance maybe- he wasn't afraid of death so he isn't a ghost, and she made it quite clear that he was dead for good and she has a reason for it- (maybe Sirius can now communicate with the Potters?) or maybe it has something to do with Snape- of the men he hates, only Remus is left-

I'm guessing Wormtail redeems himself to Harry, but only after he hurts Remus with that silver hand- then he'll die too- if he's redeemed himself, he can join the Maruaders-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brooklyn)
    sorry- forgot-

I don't think Sirius will "come back" I think she is refering to memories or a seance maybe- he wasn't afraid of death so he isn't a ghost, and she made it quite clear that he was dead for good and she has a reason for it- (maybe Sirius can now communicate with the Potters?) or maybe it has something to do with Snape- of the men he hates, only Remus is left-

I'm guessing Wormtail redeems himself to Harry, but only after he hurts Remus with that silver hand- then he'll die too- if he's redeemed himself, he can join the Maruaders-
    For some reason, I don't think Remus is going to die unless it's right near the end. He's the only one left for a reason. He's going to have a bigger part to play, I think.
    And even if Wormtail redeems himself, I don't think he'll be accepted as a Marauder again. He'll save Harry becasue he owes him, but that doesn't excuse his betrayel of James and Lily. And Sirius would never forgive him.

ReputationRep:
    wow so much to think about!

so karkaroff is the death eater too cowardly to return yes? i remember him being flinchy in the 4th book. and snape is the one who has left voldemorts service forever? have i got it right or have i got it wrapped round my neck??!!
    the theories about the two way mirror are really interesting, it would be so great if he threw it thru the veil and could speak to sirius again! i wonder what part sirius will play in the later books as well.
    the questions from the competition winners were really crappy werent they?!! "Do you realise that harry sits on his broom backwards...its impossible to balance like that" oh for gods sake, what a waste of a valuable question......and......"what would you cook hagrid for dinner?" that is just completely stupid.

this point is very very interesting tho, this is the central thing to the whole story...wow...im surprised she gave that away. i have been thinking and thinking

Josh from Cottenham Village College: Right at the beginning, when Voldermort tried to kill Harry, how did Voldermort and Harry both survive? *Schools Competition Winner*
    JK Rowling replies -> That is the crucial and central question and if I answered it there would be hardly any point writing books six and seven... so I won't!

hmmmm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    I second that!
    What part wil Sirius play? In what form will he make an appearance? The mirror could be used for communication with the order.
    I reckon Harry will get more involved with the order than usual. Why will this be Harry's shortest stay at Pivet Drive? Something tells me that the move away will come very abruptly, maybe because of an attack!
    no, i think mr.weasly would be too obvious, and dumbledore would never leave hogwarts... how about Lupin??

I cant believe i fotgot that lucius was arrested, i really need to re-read that book.

I bet harry will inherit Sirius house, because it has all sorts of protection and secrecy, next best palce besidses privet drive and hogwarts.

Also, we dont know that crookshanks is a kneezle, could be sumthing else, tho i dont have the book so i dont know other possibility

I am very suprised about the 2 way mirror, i really thought it was broken and gone, but then again, he could fix it, and use it to talk to some1 else, but aren't the pieces at hogwarts? Maybe dumbledore saved them...

ReputationRep:
    I wish someone had asked what would happen to kreacher. Would he play a big part in the future books or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ohm Pot Cleaner)
    For some reason, I don't think Remus is going to die unless it's right near the end. He's the only one left for a reason. He's going to have a bigger part to play, I think.
    And even if Wormtail redeems himself, I don't think he'll be accepted as a Marauder again. He'll save Harry becasue he owes him, but that doesn't excuse his betrayel of James and Lily. And Sirius would never forgive him.
    Lupin is the only surviving Maurader left apart from the traitor. Surely J K Rowling can't kill off all of the mauraders. I'm thinking that Wormtail might die saving Harry's life, which would leave Lupin as the survivor.

ReputationRep:
    This is off subject, but the party war has begun. Join the group i founded Called Shining Path. You all know you want too, and as this was the thread i found first on UK learning, and have made many friends on this thread, i am offering you the option to join first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    My copy has a picture of a phoenix on the from and is brightly coloured, I think they also release an "adult" version, which is just the same, but in black and white and red, supposedly more grown up. The british versions don't have pictures at the start of each chapter either.

Isn't the 'adult' cover a pic of a thestral? It looks like some kind of creepy horse thing to me! I sold enough of em when I worked in Woolies to remember!

ReputationRep:
    I think Percy is going to be Minister for Magic? Always wanted to be...and I can imagine that Fudge is going to lose the vote if there's an election because he deliberately ignored/denied the Voldie threat. But Percy for Minister...can't be much better, can it? Too like Crouch Snr.
    I think it's very unlikely Percy could be minister, he was only a secretary, not a politition. -Obviously we don't know much about their political or election system, but I would be a bit dubious if he was promoted to the job.
    New MoM- I'm sure its someone we don't know or have only passed over- probably a woman this time- I get the impression they switch back and forth- the one before Fudge was a woman- lets hope its not Umbridge- (shudders)
    Again, I doubt it. She was his senior secretary, but obviously a polition as well (she drafter anti-wearwolf legeslation) however I doubt she was prominant enough to become the next Minister. Having said that, senior secretary could be the MoM's version of a deputy PM/vice-President etc, but still, she made a hash of her last assignment. The public is generally back on Dumbledore's side, and she made problems for him. I also doubt Dumbledore would stand for it, if she tried to run for the position- consider how she treated him and his students. I think we need to look elsewhere for a future leader.
    I think I would've asked about Mark Evans,
    Yes, but I doubt she would have replied. The interview was useful but she didn't give away much about future plot developments.
    Why did Sirius HAVE to die for the story to progress, obviously gonna be a big revelation later on.
    His death has had a huge inpact- obviously it's effects, and his lack of presence, will change things -chain reaction. Harry (and others) will act and react differently, Sirius wont act at all. She had to kill him to make certain events, actions and reactions take place.
    Mr Weasley for Minister Of Magic!
    Hmmm...well, we've discussed Ron's accidental 'prediction' before. "We've got about as much chance of winning the cup as Dad has of becomming Minister of Magic" (or similar) -then going on to win the cup, could it be a sign? But then, is he senior enough? Does he know enough? Etc etc. I wouldn't imagine he'd go for it, but then again, Ron's phrasing half suggests he'd like to...*mumble mumble*
    Glad we know Crookshanks is a Kneazel- maybe he's one of Mrs. Figg's- she seems to breed them
    Heh, interesting idea.
    Snape's boggart couldn't really be James- a boggart reflects your fears, not something you hate- on that note, if James wasn't pureblood, Snape would have said it in the memory when he called Lily a mudblood
    Hmmm...I suppose if Snape did 'love' Lilly, then his worst fear could have been Harry- a child to confirm/encapsulate her love of another.
    Something I thought of early, I don't think that Snape is the one who is lost forever from the Deatheater circle, if Snape is acting as a spy, as we are lead to believe, he wouldn't have been welcomed back into the inner circle so readily. Not sure if that makes sense, but I know what I mean at least!
    Well, in book 4 Jk seemed to word it very carefully. Voldemort comes to a large gap and talks through. Before he has pretty much named all the deatheater's, present of not. But then he says about two being missing- something along the lines of- "one to cowardly to return, he shall pay. The other, I am told has left us forever, he shall be killed of course". We supposedly assume the deserter is Karkaroff, and the other Snape. But as I say, she didn't use names so...a possible red herring.
    Lastly, I can think of two suggestions as to why Harry has his shortest stay at Privet Drive he's ever had...it must be that Harry and the Dursley's lives are threatened if he stays there. Or, that, like I have already suggested, Harry inherits 12 Grimmauld Place from Sirius and so moves in? I hope Harry inherits Sirius's motorbike as well. And what'll happen to Buckbeak?
    Hmm. Well, it's certainly thrown me. As I said, I thought he might be there longer this year, and was even beginning to wonder whether an interesting character/friend(?) would appear in the form of a new neighbour. -That wasn't related to any predictions though.
    "mnich: Was Voldemort born evil?
    JK Rowling replies -> I don't believe that anybody was born evil. You will find out more about the circumstances of his birth in the next book"

Hmmm, "circumstances of his birth", intriguing (sp!), makes it sound like his birth was something important, wonder what it could be, I'm sensing a more in depth discussion here!
    Well, we already know a few details [book 4]. His mother was witch, who fell in love with a Mr Tom Riddle, who had rich parents. But he abandonned her when she told him what she was. She died in childbirth and Riddle/Voldemort thus grew up in an orphanage (where he was clearly unhappy [book 2]) while his father lived in comfort in his parent's house/mansion.
    "bertieana: Will we be seeing Krum again any time soon?
    JK Rowling replies -> You will see Krum again, though not soon."

So Krums gonna show up in book 7 rather than 6.
    Or late in 6.
    "Kyla: What made Sirius decide to send Snape to the Willow?
    JK Rowling replies -> Because Sirius loathed Snape (and the feeling was entirely mutual). You'll find out more about this in due course."

So theres an actual reason Sirius disliked Snape, rather than they just didn't get on, again, I feel we should discuss this point a bit more in due course.
    I've not really given the Snape/Lilly love thing too much thought before, but I suppose if there is a deeper reason for Sirius' actions, the theory could again be applied.
    Situation: Snape fallen for Lilly, perhaps during or before her and James getting together. Gradual build up, or a particular event, caused Snape to snap, and do something to either Lilly or James- most likely James. -Perhaps a curse/spell to make him say things to Lilly that he didn't mean- or something that would cause them to split. Sirius could see what was or had happened/catch Snape in action. In fury for his friend or simply trying to protect their relationship (James/Lilly) he acted drastically and sent him off to the willow.
    Again this all depends, and is probably completely wrong. Hmmm...not sure about the main idea, -it's possible I suppose and could make some sense of things. We shall have to wait and see.
    If you think about it, he never spends a full summer at Privet Drive for one reason or another- so its not odd that he would hightail it out of there asap- I'm guessing before his birthday- maybe he'll get a 16th birthday party-
    Hmmm, who will he stay with? I daresay the Weasley's will want him, but he could end up elsewhere. There are a number of possibilities. But wherever he goes, the Order are going to need to make sure it is secure.
    I guess until then I take her as Dumbledore- always right, even if you don't see the proof until later-
    Hmmm...I've been discussing Dumbledore with my Mum again. We're still a little suspicious of him. That 'gleam of triumph' in book 4, what was it for?
    Indeed. Besides, if he does saves Harry, he'll be dead soon after.
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    no, i think mr.weasly would be too obvious, and dumbledore would never leave hogwarts... how about Lupin??
    Ha, wearwolf. People are predudiced. And I doubt he has the political experience.
    I wonder if they have 'parties' in wizard politics, or just a front wo/man they chose. I daresay we'll find out more about the system soon enough.
    I bet harry will inherit Sirius house, because it has all sorts of protection and secrecy, next best palce besidses privet drive and hogwarts.
    Hmmm...it's very possible. But will they want to take him there? They might not want to depress him with thoughts of Sirius, and his unhappiness within the house.
    I am very suprised about the 2 way mirror, i really thought it was broken and gone, but then again, he could fix it, and use it to talk to some1 else, but aren't the pieces at hogwarts? Maybe dumbledore saved them...
    No, he threw the mirror into his trunk where it shattered. He should still have the pieces, unless he binned them.
    (Original post by Xenon)
    I wish someone had asked what would happen to kreacher. Would he play a big part in the future books or not.
    I certainly expect we shall hear from/about him again. Draco is likely to gloat, and may well mention Kreacher while taunting Harry about Sirius.

---

Right, well that's about it for now- seems to be a pretty damn long post -lots to reply to and to talk about. I shall not be best pleased if it doesn't post

ReputationRep:
    Having written my above post, a few had replied since so I will reply in a new post as considering the length of my last one, it'd take ages to load up the edit option.

This is off subject, but the party war has begun. Join the group i founded Called Shining Path. You all know you want too, and as this was the thread i found first on UK learning, and have made many friends on this thread, i am offering you the option to join first.
    Oh dear, the idea was re-established then? *sigh*, I hope it doesn't take over every thread as it did before.

Thank you for my share in the offer but I shall decline.

(Original post by *Joanna*)
    Isn't the 'adult' cover a pic of a thestral? It looks like some kind of creepy horse thing to me! I sold enough of em when I worked in Woolies to remember!
    Well I have the adult cover of the 5th on the CDs- I assume it's the same as is on the books. It's a stone griffin I think

*checks google*

Yep -http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0747569401/ref=pd_bxgy_img_2_cp/202-4194295-3456618

-Actually, it's probably a pheonix rather than a griffin (considering the title), though it's looks griffin-ish to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    I think it's very unlikely Percy could be minister, he was only a secretary, not a politition. -Obviously we don't know much about their political or election system, but I would be a bit dubious if he was promoted to the job....
    Wow Egan1! I think you take the prize for the longest post on this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Wow Egan1! I think you take the prize for the longest post on this thread.
    The interview left a lot to say!

Randomly come across this while looking for some art just now- at a glance, looks to be interesting

http://www.designerpotions.com/ss/ssdeootp.html

-hmmm...useful records of known Deatheaters and Order-members.

ReputationRep:
    I hope someone "accidentally" uses a killing curse on Kreacher although it wouldn't surprise me to find him at hogwarts in book 6. I think that the most likely person to be MOM is Mcgonogal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    I hope someone "accidentally" uses a killing curse on Kreacher although it wouldn't surprise me to find him at hogwarts in book 6. I think that the most likely person to be MOM is Mcgonogal.
    what does MOM mean again? havent been on this thread in awhile! i was watching the movies the other night......and i almost saw a heir/ pureblood theme to the entire movie/ book. who else thinks that we might see a heir of gryffindor, hufflepuff, and ravenclaw?

i personally think dumbledore or harry is it....or perhaps even the weasleys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curryADD)
    what does MOM mean again? havent been on this thread in awhile! i was watching the movies the other night......and i almost saw a heir/ pureblood theme to the entire movie/ book. who else thinks that we might see a heir of gryffindor, hufflepuff, and ravenclaw?

i personally think dumbledore or harry is it....or perhaps even the weasleys.
    Minister of Magic

I'm not sure about the heir theories. It just doesn't make sense for all the heirs to suddenly apear.

ReputationRep:
    Minister of Magic

I'm not sure about the heir theories. It just doesn't make sense for all the heirs to suddenly apear.
    I also think that there wont be any other heirs, anyway, the trailer for the third harry potter movie has been released, but what is that origami bird that Malfoy blows away (it is a origami bird, you can see it on the trailer), and if someone watches the trailer, at the end that girl says housekeeping, the door opens and she is roared at by some animal and it shuts again...what is the animal? You should all watch the full trailer, because the movie has come out with loads of stuff I don't remember in the book

ReputationRep:
    Minister of Magic

Harry as heir wouldn't suddenly appear. I mean there has been hints about his gryffindor background throughout all the books. Maybe full powers come when the person is of age or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Harry as heir wouldn't suddenly appear. I mean there has been hints about his gryffindor background throughout all the books. Maybe full powers come when the person is of age or something.
    I meant that there wouldn't be a lot of other heirs other than Harry.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone else noticed that on the poll more people hope he will die than the number of people that think he will?

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.