Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    Ok, we know that moody was an imposter right? So why did he teach harry the imperius curse until harry could throw it off when it could have been very useful to volde?
    Yes, I've also wondered about that. It seems a decidedly odd move really.

(Original post by ditzy blonde)
    Yeah, he did an incredibly good job of impersonating him, and Dumbledore had asked Moody (thinking he was the really one) to teach the students the Unforgivable Curses,
    Did he? (similar response to Brooklyn (I think->>)) We don't know that he did. Moody said that they had 'got to know' and that Dumbledore wanted them taught. But we don't know that Dumbledore actually asked him to put the curses on them. -Though he probably new about it afterwards and just assumed that was Moody's way of doing things and that seeing as no one had been hurt, it could only benefit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    Yes, I've also wondered about that. It seems a decidedly odd move really.

Did he? (similar response to Brooklyn (I think->>)) We don't know that he did. Moody said that they had 'got to know' and that Dumbledore wanted them taught. But we don't know that Dumbledore actually asked him to put the curses on them. -Though he probably new about it afterwards and just assumed that was Moody's way of doing things and that seeing as no one had been hurt, it could only benefit.
    i never actually saw that inconsistancy until you pointed it out....very interesting.

ReputationRep:
    Come on people, whats going on here?? I went to bed, went out for a while, came back (17 hours later) and had 2 posts to read, and since i posted when i got back, there have been 8 posts. We usually do at least a page a day Don't tell me this thread is dead?

ReputationRep:
    wonder what ever happened to Kcoverst?? She hasn't been on in 3 weeks. I guess she left

ReputationRep:
    Come on people, whats going on here?? I went to bed, went out for a while, came back (17 hours later) and had 2 posts to read, and since i posted when i got back, there have been 8 posts. We usually do at least a page a day Don't tell me this thread is dead?
    It could be because of problems with the forum. I tried to post yesterday and couldn't because the forum wasn't accepting new posts(not the first time i've seen the message).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    It could be because of problems with the forum. I tried to post yesterday and couldn't because the forum wasn't accepting new posts(not the first time i've seen the message).
    yeah i suppose so, i think they may have fixed the server, a couple days ago i got the busy message after i have seen that about 20 members were, but today there were more then 80, and it was the first day in weeks i didn't get...

ReputationRep:
    I've been off for a long time and I won't read 20 pages (only if I have time) so I'll just tell you this:

You know how Tom possessed Ginny, well her magic might have been affected by this because it was in its development stage. Hence when Tommy Boy forced her to speak Parseltongue to the Basilisk, he might have passed some to her...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blush Babe)
    I've been off for a long time and I won't read 20 pages (only if I have time) so I'll just tell you this:

You know how Tom possessed Ginny, well her magic might have been affected by this because it was in its development stage. Hence when Tommy Boy forced her to speak Parseltongue to the Basilisk, he might have passed some to her...
    somehow i dont think that would be the case, harry was never possessed by voldemort before the powers got passed to him.....it was mearly the transfer of powers because the curse was broken....

so i dont think if voldemort was possessing ginny he would use any of his powers, because he wasnt losing his power to possess her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blush Babe)
    Ginny didn't remember any of the stuff she had done or said, and only realised it was her when she had the evidence on her. She would not have been able to remember any of the parsletongue that she had said when possessed with Volide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaft)
    Its forbidden and not forbeaten...that gets me thinking though, you know how the forbidden forest is always out of bounds because there are dangerous animals in there...What dangerous animals apart from a few overgrown spiders - have they actually encountered. Im sure that there is something that maybe hidden in there...It'll be cool to see the weasleys car back again..lmao
    people will tell you taht I'm a terrible speller on here, but thanx for the correct spelling.

In the forest, there are

1.) Giant Spiders
    2.) Centuars
    3.) Werewolfs
    4.) Fluffy
    5.) Unicorns

and thats off the top of my head

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    people will tell you taht I'm a terrible speller on here, but thanx for the correct spelling.

In the forest, there are

1.) Giant Spiders
    2.) Centuars
    3.) Werewolfs
    4.) Fluffy
    5.) Unicorns

Grawp could now be added to this list I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curryADD)
    somehow i dont think that would be the case, harry was never possessed by voldemort before the powers got passed to him.....it was mearly the transfer of powers because the curse was broken....

so i dont think if voldemort was possessing ginny he would use any of his powers, because he wasnt losing his power to possess her.
    That's the whole point, of COURSE she doesn't know - that's the change we are seeing in her - she's becoming stronger and more popular (and I am NOT a Ginny fan). Mabye I didn't explain myself clearly, I'll quote this:
    "Parselmouth, like most other magical traits, can be inherited by the descendents of the wizards who have manifested this gift, once it is has occurred in their particular bloodlines. And the descendents of such a bloodline can certainly migrate from the geographic area where the gift first spontaneously originated. It seems probable, then, that Parselmouth was introduced to Great Britain by either Salazar Slytherin himself, or through one of his ancestors, possibly by way of the Phoenician traders who had dealings with the tin mines in the west. Given the rarity of this gift, it is probable that all known British Parselmouths since that period have been able to trace their descent to this same bloodline. (Which explains some of the confusion and disquiet when the gift was publicly manifested by Harry Potter, who has no known connection - so far as we know - to the Slytherin bloodline.) There may be another one or two such known Parselmouth bloodlines on the Continent, but we have not as yet been told of any.

It is Albus Dumbledore's stated contention that Harry Potter is only able to manifest this gift due to his proximity to the magical "ground zero" of Voldemort's dissolution when the killing curse he had thrown at Harry rebounded. That, in short, Harry received this gift, and possibly others, by what was effectively a magical "transfusion". And, for that matter, Harry's command of this gift seems to be imperfect. He is only able to express Parseltongue when he has managed to convince himself that he is speaking to a living snake. It has not yet been determined whether this is normally the case among Parselmouths, although we have been shown that Voldemort is able to express Parseltongue for the purpose of calling his snake companion to him when the snake herself is not physically present. Having come by it artificially, it is uncertain whether Harry will be able to pass this gift on to his own descendents, should he survive to have any.

It is not yet been determined whether the ability to access the psychic frequency needed to receive and express Parselmouth can be induced by less drastic means than by a miraculously-deflected Avada Kadavra curse. But there is at least one other person in canon who is a likely candidate to serve as a test case. Ginny Weasley was psychically possessed, off and on, over the course of some months by the diary revenant of a known Parselmouth when she was 11 years old, and her magic was still in the process of developing. It is beyond question that the revenant was able to express Parseltongue through Miss Weasley's speech centers in order to open Slytherin's Chamber of Secrets as well as to control and direct the Basilisk during this period. It has yet to be seen whether Miss Weasley has retained this ability, since she has yet to be confronted by a snake."

This is from http://www.redhen-publications.com/Parseltongue.html

BB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)

In the forest, there are

1.) Giant Spiders
    2.) Centuars
    3.) Werewolfs
    4.) Fluffy
    5.) Unicorns

unicorns aren't really dangerous tho r they?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't want to mess with one seeing as they have long horns.

ReputationRep:
    they are more dangerous to us men though. Remember that they prefare the "witches touch".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    they are more dangerous to us men though. Remember that they prefare the "witches touch".
    o yes

ReputationRep:
    o yes
    Whereas for us, we get the beautiful, innocent creatures.

"Unicorn-the most beautiful creature found throughout the forests of northern europe. It is a pure white, horned horse when fully grown, though the foals are initially golden and turn silver before achieving maturity. The unicorn's horn, blood and hair all have highly magical proerties. It generally avoids human contact, and is more likely to allow a witch to approach it tha a wizard, and is so fleet of foot that it is very difficault to capture".

ReputationRep:
    "Whereas for us, we get the beautiful, innocent creatures."

yeah yeah yeah congrats on 3000

ReputationRep:
    i have been thinking about this mystery girls in harrys year, never been able to figure it out. Could some1 please fill my in?

Alright 800

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Whereas for us, we get the beautiful, innocent creatures.

"Unicorn-the most beautiful creature found throughout the forests of northern europe. It is a pure white, horned horse when fully grown, though the foals are initially golden and turn silver before achieving maturity. The unicorn's horn, blood and hair all have highly magical proerties. It generally avoids human contact, and is more likely to allow a witch to approach it tha a wizard, and is so fleet of foot that it is very difficault to capture".
    i was thinking about putting the Fantastic Beasts def, but i couldn't be bothered going upstairs for my copy.

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.