The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

as long as the book isn't out yet we can all speculate about what's going to happen, even JR could change the ending. WE really can't be certain what's going to happen to harry in book 7.
Reply 6501
yeah, Padfoot...er, Siriusfan. What caused the name change, anyway? You didn't give up on Sirius did you? Just entre nous, I'm terribly excited that Sirius will be played by Gary Oldman. That man is spectacularly talented.
For those of you who don't know, he's the guy that played Dracula in Brahm Stoker's Dracula with Keanu Reeves. Oldman also played the villain in the 5th Element (a very fun movie). AND, for you Americans out there like me, here is another fun credit. Oldman also features prominently in a Subway Sandwiches advertisement. Do you know the one I'm talking about? The guy is sitting in his lawn chair outside his house, he speaks with a VERY heavy drawl and says, "I knew the gease fires were different from ordinary fires, but I wasn't sure how to handle such a conflagration. So I asked myself, "What would Jarod do?" In the next scene he's happily muching on his Subway sandwich in front of his burning house. I love that guy. So versatile.
Anyway, some of you guys better get ready for some huge disappointment at this next release. The director - a completely untalented hack, in my opinion (I mean, get real, his last success included such tasteful scenes as two boys lying on their backs masturbating into a swimming pool together [ahh, the talent...]) - has decided that he sees some real similarities between Azkaban and Guantanamo Bay, and so he's played on these themes in POA to the apparent delight of JKR. Really, is nothing sacred and free from the grasps of smut-peddlers and others who wish to cram their politics down our throats? Isn't this a children's story? Anyway, I've said enough for now... just wanted to give you guys some food for thought :wink:
Best,
Paul
Reply 6502
Brooklyn
yeah- spielberg wanted Haley Joel Osmond- which would have sucked- he's been in so many things, it would have been hard to buy him as Harry- what makes Dan Radcliffe so great is that he wasn't a recognizable person beforehand- although I htink they should fix the makeup a bit- I always thought the scar would be in the middle of his head- are they saying Vold has bad aim? and his hair is not messy at all- and his eyes seem blue to me- I thought they had computers turn them green during editing, but they still look blue- but anyway- enough harping on the poor actors-

less than 3 months until the movie!!!!!!

Daniel Radcliff was a recongnizable person. He played David Copperfield during Christmas. Besides, i still reckon they should have picked a proper harry fan to play it. Daniel didn't even read the books before he got the part.
Reply 6503
Brooklyn
yeah- spielberg wanted Haley Joel Osmond- which would have sucked- he's been in so many things, it would have been hard to buy him as Harry- what makes Dan Radcliffe so great is that he wasn't a recognizable person beforehand- although I htink they should fix the makeup a bit- I always thought the scar would be in the middle of his head- are they saying Vold has bad aim? and his hair is not messy at all- and his eyes seem blue to me- I thought they had computers turn them green during editing, but they still look blue- but anyway- enough harping on the poor actors-

less than 3 months until the movie!!!!!!

I think Speilberg was originally approached, but he wanted to set the films in America, have an all American cast and change the stories quite a bit, where as JKR wanted to keep it British
Reply 6504
ditzy blonde
I think Speilberg was originally approached, but he wanted to set the films in America, have an all American cast and change the stories quite a bit, where as JKR wanted to keep it British

QUITE RIGHT TOO
Reply 6505
Dude
QUITE RIGHT TOO

I know, how terrible would it have been if it had gone ahead?!?! At least the story is pretty much still in tact even if the acting is a little questionable!

Very glad John Williams did the sound track though, he is a god! I don't think anyone else could have done it justice (in case you can't tell I'm a bit of a fan!)
Reply 6506
ditzy blonde
I know, how terrible would it have been if it had gone ahead?!?! At least the story is pretty much still in tact even if the acting is a little questionable!

The thing i don't get about the Americans is that they are upset over the fact that they can't act in it. Why is it not fair. It's a british book by a british author, set in britian. So why is it not fair.

Add to the fact that we rarely get a successful film.
Reply 6507
umm- I don't know any Americans who are upset they can't act in it- I always pictured it as British, I don't think anyone else would have changed it- here's the whole Spielberg story- well, as he's one of hte best directors EVER- we can safely say the movies would be alot better if he had directed them- but 1) He wanted Haley Joel Osmond (btw, I wasn't saying Dan is a great actor- totally think he stinks- but he's great as in believability- and I don't know about anyone over there, but over here we hadn't seen him in anything- and one TV special does not a recognizeable personality make) also 2) He was confronted with a choice- direct HP or AI- they were shooting at the same time- well, he picked AI- thinking it was going to be yet another of his huge films- well, he took Haley Joel with him to that movie and although the acting was supposedly good (I didn't see it) the whole thing kind of flopped for a Spielberg film- add that it came out near HP1 and LOTR1 and you catch why it was a flop- so anyway, since he had bowed out of HP1, he's kind of blacklisted from the whole project- which stinks for him, don't think he's had a hit since-

btw- I don't think I've seen many British movies EVER, but I was watching CoS last night for clues, and it struck me- the actors would seem alot better if the TIMING wasn't so stinky- they keep pausing to "think" and it drags the plot something awful- no wonder they can't fit most of the books into the movies- the dialogue DRAGS- is this a typical movie element over there or just Chris Columbus's bad direction?
Reply 6508
Brooklyn

btw- I don't think I've seen many British movies EVER, but I was watching CoS last night for clues, and it struck me- the actors would seem alot better if the TIMING wasn't so stinky- they keep pausing to "think" and it drags the plot something awful- no wonder they can't fit most of the books into the movies- the dialogue DRAGS- is this a typical movie element over there or just Chris Columbus's bad direction?

don't ask me. i don't know anything about the movie buss. One thing i was upset about was the lackness of the burrow as it was one of my favorite chapters in CoS.
Reply 6509
Brooklyn

We get a lot of British movies over here (obviously) and mostly they suck big time so its little surprise they don't often make it across the Altantic, although occasionally theres a good one.

I think the HP movies are improving though, hopefully by the time we get to book 7 they'll be quite good! Saying that I'm still gonna be there at the pre-release screenings of POA at the end of May! Wouldn't want to miss out on anything!
Reply 6510
Shaft
Does that mean something bad is going to happen to Harry..? :eek: Does anyone else have any hints that JK has let slip?

i noticed one thing from her latest interview and have posted it twice and both times no one has replied. So, maybe the third time's the charm.

One of the people asked if harry would be headmaster of hogwarts. JKR replied that she couldn't see harry in an academic career. I think that this means that harry will still be alive at the end because on all the other questions about a character's future she says something like assuming they survive.
Reply 6511
I don't think it says it one way or the other- I think it just says that if he DID survive, he wouldn't be headmaster-
Reply 6512
Brooklyn
I don't think it says it one way or the other- I think it just says that if he DID survive, he wouldn't be headmaster-

I think that either she slipped or i was a calculated answer that she came up with before hand. I mean you got to think that she came up with how she would answer most questions before hand.
Reply 6513
moncal
I think that either she slipped or i was a calculated answer that she came up with before hand. I mean you got to think that she came up with how she would answer most questions before hand.

I agree. JKR must know that a lot of people are going to be asking her questions about what will happen to Harry and friends after the 7 books are complete. So we may assume that she had that answer already prepared.
Reply 6514
sorry to you British across the Atlantic, but there has been absolutely zero mention of anyone being upset that he/she could not act in HP movies. I'm not surprised by the rumor, though. It's a stereotype that Americans want to be in charge of everything, be in everything good, produce all things that are good, etc. Good Grief! I have not met one single solitary person who has ever expressed even slight dismay at the fact that HP is a British thing. In fact, to the contrary, most Americans are delighted to be able to see British cinema when it is so VERY rare for us.
Really, who would even want Harry Potter to be Americanized? Ick.
Best,
Paul
Reply 6515
PR1
sorry to you British across the Atlantic, but there has been absolutely zero mention of anyone being upset that he/she could not act in HP movies.

I'm surprised. Most people here despair at the complete lack of acting talent shown by any of the children in the Harry Potter films. It's only natural for us to assume that Americans feel the same way, especially when you have scary prodigies like Haley Joel Osmont or whatever his name is. It's just embarrassing to come from a place where such awful children can get parts in such a major film and make loads of money from it too.
Reply 6516
I guess we agree they stink- but we don't wish they were american instead- it would wreck the story- if we had american prodigy kids who could handle a good British accent, it would be one thing- but I can't think of any- don't you guys have any British acting prodigies?
Reply 6517
The one thing i can't figure out is why the harry potter films aren't considered foreign.

If Hale Joel Osmun was in the films he would have to say "I see dead people" at least 6 times before anybody could make any sense of the movies.
Reply 6518
Brooklyn
I guess we agree they stink- but we don't wish they were american instead- it would wreck the story- if we had american prodigy kids who could handle a good British accent, it would be one thing- but I can't think of any- don't you guys have any British acting prodigies?

Sorry. i just heard a rumor that quite alot of Harry Potter fans in America were upset that they weren't allowed to try out for the film.
Reply 6519
Dude
Sorry. i just heard a rumor that quite alot of Harry Potter fans in America were upset that they weren't allowed to try out for the film.

I think the british actors are good, but they don't take on their characters personalities very well. This is what makes them apear to be bad actors. I for one am not upset that i didn't get to try out.

Latest

Trending

Trending