Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    I think the british actors are good, but they don't take on their characters personalities very well. This is what makes them apear to be bad actors. I for one am not upset that i didn't get to try out.
    I agree. The only actor who seems to have taken to character is Emma Watson. She can pull off Herimonie really well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    I agree. The only actor who seems to have taken to character is Emma Watson. She can pull off Herimonie really well.
    i agree, i think rupert of whatever his name is is pretty bad. I dunno anyone who is upset there are no americans in it, i certaintly dont mind.

PR1, i dunno i didnt really like my user name anymore, and i couldn't get an avatar, but no, i haven't given up on sirius, so i made sure that my new name had something to do with him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    It really is kind of scary how well she does that part. I think that the adult actors are really good too. Except that i'm kind of dissapointed in the actor who plays dumbledore.

ReputationRep:
    It really is kind of scary how well she does that part. I think that the adult actors are really good too. Except that i'm kind of dissapointed in the actor who plays dumbledore.
    snape is pretty good, hagrid is great, mcgonagal is pretty good
    do u mean the new dumbledore or the old one?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going to read all 320 pages of this topic, so I'll make this brief - I really enjoyed the Harry Pothead films, and I can't see what everyone's problem is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    snape is pretty good, hagrid is great, mcgonagal is pretty good
    do u mean the new dumbledore or the old one?
    I haven't noticed a difference in the acting so i guess both.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riverz End)
    I'm not going to read all 320 pages of this topic, so I'll make this brief - I really enjoyed the Harry Pothead films, and I can't see what everyone's problem is.
    Why would someone who liked the films refer to them as "Harry Pothead films"? Which problem are you refering to?

ReputationRep:
    Why would someone who liked the films refer to them as "Harry Pothead films"? Which problem are you refering to?
    Maybe he is refaring to the skit version that everyone knows. "Harry Pothead and the Sorcerer's Stoned".

ReputationRep:
    I thought that as well. The film Dumbledore made him seem very old, and in the books, he gives the impression that he is really young.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brooklyn)
    I guess we agree they stink- but we don't wish they were american instead- it would wreck the story- if we had american prodigy kids who could handle a good British accent, it would be one thing- but I can't think of any- don't you guys have any British acting prodigies?
    Nope! They're all a bit too old for the films. Apparently British actors don't get good til they're ol abd have had a couple of years with the RSC!

Haha, my uni's giving Ian McKellen an honorary degree next month for being famous and from Yorkshire (despite the fact that he was born in Burnley, Lancashire!) How pointless!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    J K Rowling did say that she did like emma watson as Hermione! I like McGonnagal and Snapes roles played by their actress and actor respectively.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parvati)
    does anyone think that JKR always emphasizes that its not who we are but the choices we make (e.g. harry chose griffindor not slytherin etc etc) and so the prophesy could have meant either harry or neville but by choosing to attack harry Voldy made the prophesy about harry, and as a result marked him without wanting to and made the prophesy come true. I guess thats a bit of a destiny vs. predestination debate!
    Well it's true isn't it. I mean the fact about we are what we make ourselves out to be and stuff. We could be born in a lousy or evil family with a bad reputation (like Sirius), but turn out decent and good cos of the choices we have made in our life.
    Oh yeah, and I do remember you PR1. Welcome back!

ReputationRep:
    i think the new dumbledore starts in the third movie? Maybe i am very confused, which is highly likely

ReputationRep:
    The new Dumbledore will start in the new movie- they say he's more "hippy" which scares me a bit....

I think the kids were pretty bad, but I really think it was the directing and editing- I think if they'd kept the dialogue moving along it would have been better- quicker pace needed- we'll see how the new guy does- it sounds like there is going to be a new Director for each film now- sounds like DADA teachers

I have no idea why British films aren't considered 'foreign' over here- maybe because the producers and companies are usually at least part American? Harry Potter is owned by Warner Brothers after all! Follow the frog! (Sorry, a WB loyalist)- it definately doesn't go by where they are shot and cast- think of all the films they shoot anywhere else- LotR is considered American after all, and the entire thing was shot and produced in New Zealand-

ReputationRep:
    The new Dumbledore will start in the new movie- they say he's more "hippy" which scares me a bit....

I think the kids were pretty bad, but I really think it was the directing and editing- I think if they'd kept the dialogue moving along it would have been better- quicker pace needed- we'll see how the new guy does- it sounds like there is going to be a new Director for each film now- sounds like DADA teachers

I have no idea why British films aren't considered 'foreign' over here- maybe because the producers and companies are usually at least part American? Harry Potter is owned by Warner Brothers after all! Follow the frog! (Sorry, a WB loyalist)- it definately doesn't go by where they are shot and cast- think of all the films they shoot anywhere else- LotR is considered American after all, and the entire thing was shot and produced in New Zealand-
    Good point. I sure hope that the new director does better because this is a very pivital movie.

ReputationRep:
    Dumbledore always strikes me in the books as a hippie I think Dumbledore in the films has been too old and not crazy enough for me. I'm looking forward to the new film.

ReputationRep:
    thank you, xenon, for the welcome! It is much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    Dumbledore always strikes me in the books as a hippie I think Dumbledore in the films has been too old and not crazy enough for me. I'm looking forward to the new film.
    I completely agree.

ReputationRep:

How is a film dertermed though. Harry Potter is considered British cos it is filmed here, the actors are british, and the author is british. But why do you say LOTR is American

ReputationRep:
    I have a question. In America is the first film called Philosopher's or Sorcerers Stone? Would they have had to shoot every scene its mentioed in twice? Once calling it Philosopher's and once calling it Sorcerer's?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.