Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I would like to comment on something else, though. The veil.

Well, even if Sirius sn't coming back (sorry padfoot), we do know that he isn't really dead, either - at least not in the traditional sense. If we say that he is truly dead, then is the veil the porthole to the afterlife? Surely, this would be too incredulous even for JKR. Also, if it is really a "normal" death, is everybody who has ever died somewhere on the other side of that veil? No, again.

Besides, I think we'll see a lot more use out of that cracked little mirror in the future. As I recall, it was never even used by Harry. Now what would be the point in that little addition? No, we may not ever "see" him again, but I don't think that we've "heard" the last from our friend on the other side, do you?

PR

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Hmmm. I'm thinking about the dark aspects of book 2. The main ones are the fact that the Balarog petrified students and Miss Noris, and that a student was sort of possessed by Voldie, or Tom Riddle I guess. The darkest of the 2 is definitely the possession of Ginny. But then, that pasrt wasn't really small. What about the fact that so few students supported him when they suspected that he was heir of slytherin. Oh I dunno; I'm confused about what the small part could be. :confused:
    I've been going over book 2 in my head, and the only small parts i could think of is at the Weasley house. i.e the Weasley Family Clock. It may come in handly since it can tell if any member of the family is in danger.

ReputationRep:
    "Hmmm. I'm thinking about the dark aspects of book 2. The main ones are the fact that the Balarog petrified students and Miss Noris, and that a student was sort of possessed by Voldie, or Tom Riddle I guess. The darkest of the 2 is definitely the possession of Ginny. But then, that pasrt wasn't really small. What about the fact that so few students supported him when they suspected that he was heir of slytherin. Oh I dunno; I'm confused about what the small part could be."

Xenon, I think you may be confused between Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. It was a Basilisk in Harry Potter. Not a Balarog.

Hmm, something small, eh? Could it be Dumbledore's speech about how: "I will always be in Hogwarts as long as people are loyal to me" (or something like that)? Perhaps he will become a ghost? Of course, that is very reminicent of LOTR.

Or maybe it is something to do with his other speech about how our choices nor our natural abilties that determine who we are.

Or maybe it is even something to do with Percy. After all, he was reading a tattered old copy of "Prefects Who Gained Power". Maybe he will turn to the Dark Side.

Who knows?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, just read something on mugglenet.com that may help us.

In an interview with IGN Filmforce, JK Rowling said:
    "Key things happen in book 2. No one knows how important those things are...yet. There is a lot in [the movie], and I know how difficult it was to get it all in there without drawing too much attention to the clues."

and it goes on to say that the only thing that happens really in the movie is the hug right at the end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Hmmm. I'm thinking about the dark aspects of book 2. The main ones are the fact that the Balarog petrified students and Miss Noris, and that a student was sort of possessed by Voldie, or Tom Riddle I guess. The darkest of the 2 is definitely the possession of Ginny. But then, that pasrt wasn't really small. What about the fact that so few students supported him when they suspected that he was heir of slytherin. Oh I dunno; I'm confused about what the small part could be. :confused:
    maybe one of the characters turns out to not be who or what they appear and there is evidence to this in the book. Maybe in book 6 we learn about voldie's history and that would tie in with the journal. Who are the new characters we meat in book 2? Lockhart, Creavey...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    maybe one of the characters turns out to not be who or what they appear and there is evidence to this in the book. Maybe in book 6 we learn about voldie's history and that would tie in with the journal. Who are the new characters we meat in book 2? Lockhart, Creavey...?
    Don't forget Agrog, the giant spider in the Forbeaton Forest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayla Pascal)
    Xenon, I think you may be confused between Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. It was a Basilisk in Harry Potter. Not a Balarog.
    Yeah, I knew when I had written it that it was wrong, but I couldn't remember the name basilisk. Don't blame me. It was too late to think properly!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayla Pascal)
    Hmm, something small, eh? Could it be Dumbledore's speech about how: "I will always be in Hogwarts as long as people are loyal to me" (or something like that)? Perhaps he will become a ghost? Of course, that is very reminicent of LOTR.

Or maybe it is something to do with his other speech about how our choices nor our natural abilties that determine who we are.

Or maybe it is even something to do with Percy. After all, he was reading a tattered old copy of "Prefects Who Gained Power". Maybe he will turn to the Dark Side.

Who knows?
    The speeches were pretty big. I mean, the loyalty to Dumbledore thing came out at the end, when because of Harry's loyalty, he got the sorting hat and Fawkes.

This could be important. Maybe to do with Draco.

ReputationRep:
    important parts of book/movie 2----

ok- so we know that at the beginning Ron says Ginny normally never shuts up- in her last interview JK said this will become more evident now that Ginny is more comfortable around Harry

the car is still in the woods

the giant spiders

Godric's Sword

Fawkes can be called to those loyal to Dumbledore

the Whomping Willow is introduced

Gilderoy Lockhart and his ego (try to fit both in the same room)

they try out Polyjuice Potion

the location and decoration of the Slytherin Common Room- password:Pureblood

Malfoy gets boxes of sweets from home (another American/British thing that confused me for a second- I'm assuming that means "candy")

Ginny stands up for Harry in the bookstore

Percy read "Prefects who gain power"

Percy is dating Penelope Clearwater from Ravenclaw

I'll keep thinking.....

ReputationRep:
    Double double names- there's no source like the lexicon-

Hannah Abbott
    Professor Binns
    Pierre Bonaccord
    Terry Boot
    Dennis Creevey
    Emma Dobbs
    Arabella Doreen Figg
    Glynnis Griffiths
    Geoffrey Hooper
    Elladora Ketteridge
    Goodwin Kneen
    Neville Longbottom
    Gifford Ollerton
    Mirabella Plunkett
    Harry Potter
    Thadeus Thurkell
    Sacharissa Tugwood
    Willy Widdershins

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brooklyn)

Hannah Abbott

Pierre Bonaccord
    Terry Boot
    Dennis Creevey
    Emma Dobbs
    Arabella Doreen Figg
    Glynnis Griffiths
    Geoffrey Hooper
    Elladora Ketteridge
    Goodwin Kneen
    Neville Longbottom
    Gifford Ollerton
    Mirabella Plunkett
    Harry Potter
    Thadeus Thurkell
    Sacharissa Tugwood
    Willy Widdershins
    HAHAHA! What did you use to pull this list? I love it!
    PR
    incidentally, I can recall roughly who only 5 of them are!
    That is super, really.

ReputationRep:
    Nice hunting. Forgot about a few of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    The wand is a tool to bring out the magic.
    Yes, but remember that a spell never works so well using another wizard's wand. [said in one of the books]

(Original post by ditzy blonde)
    Also we have to bear in mind that it is still a childrens book, and I don't think the parents would be too pleased if JKR went round condonning (sp!) murder. )
    But there is a lot of murder in the series, and presumably Harry has to kill, though we do not know how that will turn out.

(Original post by PR1)
    You know how i see it. Neville will eventually kill voldie. We've had this discussion before. marked does not mean scar. the prophecy could very well have said scarred him, not marked him. but it didn't.
    But it was his supporters, rather than Voldemort himself, that tortured Nevil's parents. So even the mental scar was indirect. I doubt the prophecy concerns him.

(Original post by PR1)
    been made to re-acquaint after the saga ends and see if our predictions were correct? If not, I have an idea...
    I don't think that's really necessary. The thread is a record of our assumptions and predictions.

(Original post by Xenon)
    Better predictable than unbelievable! I agree with you poowpoow, who wouldn't want Neville to beat Bellatrix to avenge his parents' sanity, and also, who wouldn't want Harry to defeat Voldie to avenge his parents' deaths.
    I daresay some people are longing for an opposite end.

---

A lot of those rumours are a bit pointless really. There's a possibiliy that many hundreds of things could happen. A dancing tea cosy could appear and claim to be Harry's long lost aunt for all we know, but that sort of speculation isn't very helpful, certainly without any relation/connections from the books or things JK has said.

Anyway- some responses.

I doubt the time turner will appear again, certainly not for a large role as a key part to the story, as it has already been done, and Dumbledore has taken it back.

I think Sirius is dead for good, though obviously there's a possibility that we get to see him in a similar fashion to that which we saw Harry's parents, Cedric and the others in book four. I do think that someone will clear his name though.

We've already discussed the likelyhood of the Bartender being Dumbledore's brother and think it is highly likely.

Hermione wouldn't be the first female headmistress (refer to portraits in Dumbledore's office) if she became head of Hogwarts, which I think is unlikely.

I also think it unlikely Snape will fall in love with anyone, let alone Fleur. However we may find out about a relationship of the past, or perhaps an involvement with/adoration for Lily.

Fred and George have left Hogwarts now, but it's likely Harry with play Quiddich there again.

I think it is more likely Harry will question Petunia about her knowledge of the magical world than the other way around.

I think it highly likely that Ron and Hermione get together, but it should be interesting to observe the circumstances and other's reactions. I'd be exceedingly suprised if it doesn't happen.

A number of people could be the new DADA teahcer but if it is to follow the pattern of the previous books then it will be a new character. I don't think Dumbledore's brother has the knowledge/skill etc to teach the subject.

I suspect Kreacher will go to Narcissa and disclose as much as he is able to. It'll be interesting to see whether he is free to serve them, or will be passed on as part of the will.

I think it very possible Knockturn Alley will have another appearance.

I still don't like the idea of the green flame torch and it's properties.

I like the suggestion about finding out the 12 uses of dragon's blood. Perhaps that'll have some mention.

The point about squibs owning cats is also interesting.

[Heh, some of these are laughable. -Also they keep contradicting in the rumours 'this will happen' 'this (same thing) wont happen' etc.]

If Voldemort was Harry's father, then why would Harry look just like James? Pah.

'No one knows what will happen in the books yet; I don't even think J.K. does, to be honest with you' -Again I say 'Pah'.

---> Gah, it appears what I've said has mostly been said already. Ah well.

---------

An on a new subject, I've been thinking about the magic they use in this series. Surely, though it's likely to be extreemely difficult and high standard magic, they can make spells themselves? They have to come from somewhere. Magic might be a sort of element, but obviously someone wrote/set up the incantation/action (spell!) that allowed a certain task to be performed.
    This is probably way above school level, but all the same, it's an interesting idea. With the right skills they could pretty much manipulate magic to perform any task desired.

This might well be left out of the books, but as I say, I think it's a good point.

I'll stop woffling on now.

ReputationRep:
    important parts of book/movie 2----

ok- so we know that at the beginning Ron says Ginny normally never shuts up- in her last interview JK said this will become more evident now that Ginny is more comfortable around Harry

the car is still in the woods

the giant spiders

Godric's Sword

Fawkes can be called to those loyal to Dumbledore

the Whomping Willow is introduced

Gilderoy Lockhart and his ego (try to fit both in the same room)

they try out Polyjuice Potion

the location and decoration of the Slytherin Common Room- password:Pureblood

Malfoy gets boxes of sweets from home (another American/British thing that confused me for a second- I'm assuming that means "candy")

Ginny stands up for Harry in the bookstore

Percy read "Prefects who gain power"

Percy is dating Penelope Clearwater from Ravenclaw

I'll keep thinking.....
    I dont know about the fawks thing .... because i dont know if harry is that loyal to dumbledor any more (because of what happens in book 5 at the end) but i dont know maybe he will still be loyl 2 him what do u think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lotrobsessed524)
    I dont know about the fawks thing .... because i dont know if harry is that loyal to dumbledor any more (because of what happens in book 5 at the end) but i dont know maybe he will still be loyl 2 him what do u think?
    I do hope that they sort it out, cos Dumbledore will be there for Harry, and he was doing what he thinks was right. But I think that Dumbledore will HAVE TO involve Harry more into what's happening and not keep things from him in order for Harry to completely be ok with him again.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but i dont know its just not in harrys personality to forgive and forget things so fast he holds on to everything

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but i dont know its just not in harrys personality to forgive and forget things so fast he holds on to everything
    He forgave Ron for being so mean to him when he was jealous of him in book 4.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    He forgave Ron for being so mean to him when he was jealous of him in book 4.
    yeah but i dont know isnt it easier to forget something like that then when someone has known something about u all along and its a life or death situation and they never told u. I dont know it might just be me but i just have a feeling hes not going to forgive him for a while

ReputationRep:
    yeah but i dont know isnt it easier to forget something like that then when someone has known something about u all along and its a life or death situation and they never told u. I dont know it might just be me but i just have a feeling hes not going to forgive him for a while
    I hope that they do sort it all out eventually though, cos Duimbledore is like a grandfather to Harry *(that's howI feel anyway). But yeah, I agree it m9ght take a while. After all, first Harry has to sort out what's going on inside his head.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    I hope that they do sort it all out eventually though, cos Duimbledore is like a grandfather to Harry *(that's howI feel anyway). But yeah, I agree it m9ght take a while. After all, first Harry has to sort out what's going on inside his head.
    yeah

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.