Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geogger)
    As a relative newcomer I'd like to say that I've really enjoyed reading these pages ... one thing that struck me was that in Book 1 when Harry was in front of the Mirror of Erised, it clearly states that he could see his mother and his father and ONE of his grandfathers.....why did JKR make it that specific? What has happened (or who is..) the other one??? Any ideas?
    hmm i dont remember it saying that, i think i need to consult my book and try and find it!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    I think he knew who Mark Evens is, but whats to know if he is related to Harry or not.
    No, I didn't know who he was at all... thanks for pointing that out! I'm re-reading OOTP at the moment, I'll go and have a look.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poowpoow)
    hmm i dont remember it saying that, i think i need to consult my book and try and find it!!
    It did. I remember it. It said something like "and an old person who looked like they had Harrys nobblie knees".

ReputationRep:
    As a relative newcomer I'd like to say that I've really enjoyed reading these pages ... one thing that struck me was that in Book 1 when Harry was in front of the Mirror of Erised, it clearly states that he could see his mother and his father and ONE of his grandfathers.....why did JKR make it that specific? What has happened (or who is..) the other one??? Any ideas?
    interesting. If this is right you are officially a member of the club. I can't check it out right now because i loaned my first book to someone and i don't even remember loaning it.

ReputationRep:
    Wow- there is always so much when I get back on Monday morning!

Welcome to the new people!

I didn't even catch the one grandfather thing- has anyone double checked that? fantastic! I always think I've caught everything and then someone proves me wrong...

rereading OotP now- Harry does seem especially ticked off- but I don't think that will happen again- I htink this time he's going to be depressed- he'll have to buck up though b/c the dementors are on the loose and he needs happy thoughts to get a Patronus- in OotP his happy thought was Ron and Hermione- I'm guessing the next book it will be some romantic interest-

once Harry DOES get over the whole Sirius/prophecy thing, I think he is really going to show some control and conscious use of his power- now he has a reason to become more powerful than before- he has to beat Voldie- I can see him maturing alot....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    did u read the whole thing? And welcome to the forum. Yes, that hagrid thing made me ill.
    *shudders*

(Original post by Dude)
    I think he knew who Mark Evens is, but whats to know if he is related to Harry or not.
    Harry has no reason to assume he'd be a relative. If someone I knew (as I do) shared a surname of either of my parents that wouldn't ring any form of bells, because obviously names are common enough that a lot of people share them. -So this could just be a 'red herring' but still, I think we'll be hearing of him again.

For whoever it was who wanted to know, it's a very breif mention, but all the same, significant.
    ->
    "So who've you been beating up tonight?" Harry asked, his grin fading. "Another ten-year old? I know you did Mark Evans two nights ago."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brooklyn)
    once Harry DOES get over the whole Sirius/prophecy thing, I think he is really going to show some control and conscious use of his power- now he has a reason to become more powerful than before- he has to beat Voldie- I can see him maturing alot....
    Yeah, I reckon that we'll see a lot of chages of Harry in the next book, what with the responsiblitly of the prohecy, Sirius' death, another battle. He'll get more responsiblilty, and could be cautious about his friends, seeing as last book, all his friends were involved. he might feel that anyone who is close to him might get hurt, hence he might distance himself at the beginning. He will definitely get more mature. He will become more focussed. Altogether, his character is growing up, older and maturer. Hopefully this will increase his use and strength of his powers.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by moncal)
    interesting. If this is right you are officially a member of the club. I can't check it out right now because i loaned my first book to someone and i don't even remember loaning it.
    Thank you, I'm honoured!
    It actually comes towards the very end of that chapter just before Dumbledore says... So- back again Harry?
    I'm still not really certain, but JKR is very specific with her choice of words usually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    yes, thats a good point. I am looking forward to knowing what dudley saw with the whole demontor thing. Any guesses? I am willing to bet is was acutally something fairly bad, that will reveal some dark secret about then Dursley's. Maybe a family death or some reason why the dursleys are so terrified of magic, besides petunia getting killed and all.

Xenon- it's rather late over there is it not? What are you doing up
    hmmm, just a thought, but the dementors force you to relive your worst memory and in PoA Harry was reliving his parents death even though he couldn't really remember it because he'd been to young. What if Dudley's worst memory was something he'd experienced at a very young age as well. I'm liking the possibility that the Dursley's could have a real reason to fear all things magical rather than the fact that they were just intolerant.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, I'm honoured!
    It actually comes towards the very end of that chapter just before Dumbledore says... So- back again Harry?
    I'm still not really certain, but JKR is very specific with her choice of words usually.
    Sorry *kicks Geogger out of the club* it only says that he noticed one old man with his knees. It said that there were lots of people but only this one stood out besides his parents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    Sorry *kicks Geogger out of the club* it only says that he noticed one old man with his knees. It said that there were lots of people but only this one stood out besides his parents.
    Ah, thats a bit harsh, getting Geogger's hopes up then dashing them as quickly, it was a good try, maybe Geogger could get junior membership or something for trying hard!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curryADD)
    yes, i completely and totally agree......however, in the US we dont even get to see the interviews!
    I agree
    -all we get is the written version and what u guys tell us about we dont get to see how she reacts to the questions or anything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lotrobsessed524)
    I agree
    -all we get is the written version and what u guys tell us about we dont get to see how she reacts to the questions or anything
    Neither do we for the most of it. The majority of interviews are webchats. The only one I've seen was one she did just before the release of OotP. It was done for the BBC and had obviously been carefully scripted so she didn't give anything away she didn't want to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    hmmm, just a thought, but the dementors force you to relive your worst memory and in PoA Harry was reliving his parents death even though he couldn't really remember it because he'd been to young. What if Dudley's worst memory was something he'd experienced at a very young age as well. I'm liking the possibility that the Dursley's could have a real reason to fear all things magical rather than the fact that they were just intolerant.
    I have been wondering about that for a while i mean why would the Dursleys hate the wizarding world so much... they have to have a better reason or why would they make such a fuss if all they thought was that harry was a "freak" just like his mother..it just dosnt make any since they have to have another more important reason then that dont they?
    *sorry about spelling

ReputationRep:
    do you think that JK Rowling takes into considerations of all these things written on these threads :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I have been wondering about that for a while i mean why would the Dursleys hate the wizarding world so much... they have to have a better reason or why would they make such a fuss if all they thought was that harry was a "freak" just like his mother..it just dosnt make any since they have to have another more important reason then that dont they?
    *sry about spelling
    One of my pet theories is that Voldemort (or some of his minions) killed Lily and Petunia's parents. (we know the Deatheaters killed muggles aswell, we know harry's grandparents are dead, and it would explain why Petunia hated the wizarding world so much) I'm started to wonder if this could be part of Dudley's worst memory. Although have just realised that would be a bit to much like Harry's story.

JKR has said in interviews that she sometimes looks on internet sites to see whats being said. Maybe she's one of the unregistered guests viewing right now! But in reality theres not a chance she'd read this thread, its too long, and she can't spare the time, she should be chained to her comoputer finishing the next book!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    do you think that JK Rowling takes into considerations of all these things written on these threads :rolleyes:
    I think i heard something about how she looks at some of the sites with people pradicting just to see how close we get and that we get pretty close but know one has exactly got it .... but i dont think she changes the story by what we say... i dont know if thats just my oppinion but i really dont think she would change the book because someone had a good idea

ReputationRep:
    I think i heard something about how she looks at some of the sites with people pradicting just to see how close we get and that we get pretty close but know one has exactly got it .... but i dont think she changes the story by what we say... i dont know if thats just my oppinion but i really dont think she would change the book because someone had a good idea
    Although she said that before the release of OotP, so people might have gotten it after reading it, picked up on more clues etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    i dont think we really care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    Although she said that before the release of OotP, so people might have gotten it after reading it, picked up on more clues etc.
    I don't think that she'd really change the story though. I mean she has the whole story planned out. I think she likes the impact her stories have on people, and the fact that her books give people so much enjoyment. She's probably curious to see how much we can guess anywhere near acurately.
    My thought was that Petunia and Lily's parents were killed by Voldie too. Is Harry's uncle just plain prejudiced then, if he has no reason to hate magic.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.