Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poowpoow)
    i like the idea of colin capturing the secret on film but when he was petrified, dumbledore (i think) opened the camera to see if colin has caught the basilisk on film but the back of the camera exploded and the film was burnt.
    Just a thought, Herimonie said in one book that muggle technology doesn't work in the castle cos theres two much magic in the air and everyone has said about Harrys watch, but what about colins camera.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    Just a thought, Herimonie said in one book that muggle technology doesn't work in the castle cos theres two much magic in the air and everyone has said about Harrys watch, but what about colins camera.
    Yes...but how do you think that Wizards normally take pictures; such as Harry and the champions in the Goblet of fire. And I don't think Hermione said anything about muggle appliances, just bugging equipment - maybe electronic impulses can't be sent in that area.

What is the small thing that everyone is talking about, and something connected to colin?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaft)
    Yes...but how do you think that Wizards normally take pictures; such as Harry and the champions in the Goblet of fire. And I don't think Hermione said anything about muggle appliances, just bugging equipment - maybe electronic impulses can't be sent in that area.

What is the small thing that everyone is talking about, and something connected to colin?
    Oh right yer.

JK has been saying for ages that theres a small thing in book 2 that is HUGE and no-ones got it yet. So we've been going over little details metioned in CoS and someone suggested Collin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    Ok, Hermione said that Muggle substitutes for magic didn't work within Hogwarts, so things like electricity. Wizard's use the same cameras as muggles but they just develop the pictures in a special solution to make them move. Harry's watch doesn't work because he wore it when he went into the lake in GoF.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    Ok, Hermione said that Muggle substitutes for magic didn't work within Hogwarts, so things like electricity. Wizard's use the same cameras as muggles but they just develop the pictures in a special solution to make them move. Harry's watch doesn't work because he wore it when he went into the lake in GoF.
    Yes, but it worked before hand, didn't it. The watch should nevewr have been able to keep time cos it was muggle made and wizards have wizard watchs (Dumbledores one in the first book. The one with twelve hands).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    Yes, but it worked before hand, didn't it. The watch should nevewr have been able to keep time cos it was muggle made and wizards have wizard watchs (Dumbledores one in the first book. The one with twelve hands).
    I don't think Dumbledore's watch tells the time. I think wizards use muggle watches. They don't appear to have a spell for telling the time. Its things like bugging devices that don't work because there are magical methods of eavesdropping (extendable ears for instance must have some sort of spell on them). Or torches. I bet they wouldn't work because they'd be a substitute for the lumos spell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    We have some in French and Spanish (my sister's), I should probably try and read them. I know the stories so well I'd probably understand most of it, and it might help with some vocabulary I suppose

---

Right, I'm off for a couple of days on a sort-of-holiday, so I probably wont be posting, though I may nip on in the evenings for a little.
    Take care. Have fun! See you in a few days then, I guess.

ReputationRep:
    Thats interesting about the muggle technology- I would think if they were disabled due to the magic in the air, it would be things that can be affected by radio waves- phones, walkietalkies, computers- not ordinary things like cameras or watches that dont have any waves- make sense?

There's a book out all about how the things in Harry Potter could be made real (ie- Fluffy from cloning and dna adjusting) I bet there's something in there-

As for Colin- I'm guessing he's the future photographer for the Daily Prophet- maybe the paparazzi type

maybe the something small is the Sorting hat? He pulled Gryffindor's sword out of it- and didn't its song 4th year say it was Gryffindor's hat? there must be a reason Fawkes brought him the hat, not just the sword- after all- phoenixes can "carry immensly heavy loads"- so wouldnt it have been easier to bring the sword?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brooklyn)
    maybe the something small is the Sorting hat? He pulled Gryffindor's sword out of it- and didn't its song 4th year say it was Gryffindor's hat? there must be a reason Fawkes brought him the hat, not just the sword- after all- phoenixes can "carry immensly heavy loads"- so wouldnt it have been easier to bring the sword?
    I reckon thjat the sorting hat will become very important (didn't J K Rowling say sometjing like that). It's advice is certainly worth listening to. The houses have to unite if they are to beat Voldie (sign of Draco swapping sides?). Maybe it's song will reveal even more next year. Also, the sorting hat is extremely old, and will have been around for very long. It would have been there when Tom Riddle was being sorted into Hogwarts. Just a thought, but could the sorting hat provide valuable info about what goes on inside Voldie/Tom Riddle's head

ReputationRep:
    ooh! What a good thought! If the sorting hat can see what's really inside your head, maybe Harry should wear it when Voldie is trying to get into his mind? Maybe it can see more? Or maybe it can read Voldie's plans? After all, you can't really perform Occlumency on a HAT- but it does seem to be performing some sort of Legilemency- (I know I spelled that wrong....)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaft)

Damn. I just had to ask. Now im going to have to read that book again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    Here, here. If i wasn't glued to the stories when i read them i would just fast forward throught the parts that he is in.
    yeah he is a ver annoying little kid but i have a fealing he is going to be very important

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaft)
    Damn. I just had to ask. Now im going to have to read that book again!
    That's the problem with discussing something with knowledgeable people, if you aren't completely certain about something before you say it then someone will contradict you and make you do something like go back and read it again just to make certain that you were right. Not that that is a bad thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    I reckon thjat the sorting hat will become very important (didn't J K Rowling say sometjing like that). It's advice is certainly worth listening to. The houses have to unite if they are to beat Voldie (sign of Draco swapping sides?). Maybe it's song will reveal even more next year. Also, the sorting hat is extremely old, and will have been around for very long. It would have been there when Tom Riddle was being sorted into Hogwarts. Just a thought, but could the sorting hat provide valuable info about what goes on inside Voldie/Tom Riddle's head
    Wow, Xenon, your so clever! Thats a really interesting theory!

ReputationRep:
    This is pretty much unconnected with past theories and everything...but In book four, it says at the beginning that the riddle family; three of them were found dead and unblemished in their house. It also says that Tom was an only child, Did JK make a crucial mistake? Did she accidently say that Tom got killed in the beginning of the fourth book or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaft)
    This is pretty much unconnected with past theories and everything...but In book four, it says at the beginning that the riddle family; three of them were found dead and unblemished in their house. It also says that Tom was an only child, Did JK make a crucial mistake? Did she accidently say that Tom got killed in the beginning of the fourth book or something?
    That was Tom's dad I think. Tom Snr.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    That was Tom's dad I think. Tom Snr.
    :confused: So he killed his grandparents and his father? The way they talk about it in the next page is as if tom is one of them.

It says they didn't pretend to care because they found the elderly couple snobbish and their son Tom even more so!

It doesn't mention anybody else

ReputationRep:
    I have had a thought about the title of the 6th book. I think that there is a pattern in the way that the books are named.
    1. Sorceror's Stone- object
    2. Chamber of Secrets- object
    3. Prisoner of Azkaban- person
    4. Goblet of fire- object
    5. Order of the Phoenix- object
    6. According to this pattern the title must be about a person.
    7. Something dealing with an object.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaft)
    :confused: So he killed his grandparents and his father? The way they talk about it in the next page is as if tom is one of them.

It says they didn't pretend to care because they found the elderly couple snobbish and their son Tom even more so!

It doesn't mention anybody else
    Yer, but don't forget that Tom Riddle Snr hated his son and abandoned Voldemort (Tom Riddle Jnr) at birth. So the town were they were killed most likey didn't know about Voldemort being born.

(Sorry if that doesn't make any sence)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    I have had a thought about the title of the 6th book. I think that there is a pattern in the way that the books are named.
    1. Sorceror's Stone- object
    2. Chamber of Secrets- object
    3. Prisoner of Azkaban- person
    4. Goblet of fire- object
    5. Order of the Phoenix- object
    6. According to this pattern the title must be about a person.
    7. Something dealing with an object.
    No offence mate, but thats complety wrong

1.) Phiosolphers/Sorceror's Stone = object
    2.) Chamber of Secrets = Place
    3.) Prinsoner of Azkaban = Person
    4.) Goblet of Fire = object
    5.) Order of Phoenix = Club really

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.