Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    no i mean like the last hundred pages or so. Remember we used to do like 3 a day? Now it about 1/2.
    Oh yer I know what you mean now. You'd come online and there weould be a catch up of 2-3 pages. Now you hardly have to read anyrthing.

Where am i on ur sig.

ReputationRep:
    Right, been meaning to come on here for ages and mention a few things....

I reckon Hermionie and Ron subconsciously fancy each other- and I know this doesn't really make sense, but they're always bickering and love is only one step away from hate. (Something to do with a circle- starts with hate, then dislike, indifference, like, love- or something like that!) But I don't think they should get together, they'd just argue all the time, and yes, Harry would be a bit left out unless he went out with someone else...

This has probably been done before, but what is considered half blood and pure blood etc? Does everyone in your family have to be magic for you to be pure blood or are you pure blood if your mum and dad are both magic, regardless of whether they're half blood or whatever? Cos if it's the second one, doesn't that make Harry pure blood and therefore not so similar to Voldemort? Hmmm...am probably reading too much into this...

And finally, was reading Philosopher's Stone (Big mistake- now have to read the rest and am supposed to be revising) and noticed something on pg162 of UK version. Harry is wondering if Snape knows they know about the Stone, and has the 'horrible feeling that Snape could read minds.' But he can can't he? Isn't that what Legi-whatsit is, the opposite of Occulmancy that Harry has to practice in Order of the Phoenix?

Oops have rambled a bit...sorry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Joanna*)
    Right, been meaning to come on here for ages and mention a few things....

I reckon Hermionie and Ron subconsciously fancy each other- and I know this doesn't really make sense, but they're always bickering and love is only one step away from hate. (Something to do with a circle- starts with hate, then dislike, indifference, like, love- or something like that!) But I don't think they should get together, they'd just argue all the time, and yes, Harry would be a bit left out unless he went out with someone else...

This has probably been done before, but what is considered half blood and pure blood etc? Does everyone in your family have to be magic for you to be pure blood or are you pure blood if your mum and dad are both magic, regardless of whether they're half blood or whatever? Cos if it's the second one, doesn't that make Harry pure blood and therefore not so similar to Voldemort? Hmmm...am probably reading too much into this...

And finally, was reading Philosopher's Stone (Big mistake- now have to read the rest and am supposed to be revising) and noticed something on pg162 of UK version. Harry is wondering if Snape knows they know about the Stone, and has the 'horrible feeling that Snape could read minds.' But he can can't he? Isn't that what Legi-whatsit is, the opposite of Occulmancy that Harry has to practice in Order of the Phoenix?

Oops have rambled a bit...sorry!
    I think that in the end, Ron and Hermione are going to go out...and I think the JK said at some point there is something going on between them - shes developing it... and I agree that Harry would be left out to a certain extent.

Yes...Snape can read minds, but what I don't understand is why Snape try's to teach Harry Occlumency by doing that whole spell thing, if he doesn't need to do that when normally reading someone's mind?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaft)
    I think that in the end, Ron and Hermione are going to go out...and I think the JK said at some point there is something going on between them - shes developing it... and I agree that Harry would be left out to a certain extent.
    It's going to happen, eventually. Harry/Ginny is also more likely now that she's grown out of her childish crush. But I think that the books shouldn't be entirely about the relationships.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilsoncswai)
    Everyone seems to think harry is going to go out with hermine and ginny but not CHO
    Actually, I think you've made the wrong assumptions there about what people think.

There have been many blatent hints of a Hermione-Ron relationship, especially coming across in the last couple of books. I doubt JKR is trying to trick us with this, as she has modelled their behaviour to point to it. I'll be very surprised if a more serious (love) relationship between the two does not materialise.

As for Cho, as was said at the end of the last book, Harry's feelings towards her have changed. -I'm pretty sure JKR also said they weren't going to get together again, in one of the interviews posted.

(Original post by Helenia)
    It's going to happen, eventually. Harry/Ginny is also more likely now that she's grown out of her childish crush. But I think that the books shouldn't be entirely about the relationships.
    Heh, but stories are about/based around relationships between characters (friends, enemies, lovers etc), but I assume you meant love-relationships. I don't think JKR will let them take over the story, but there'll probably be an element of them.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I agree, especially with her red hair ( shades of James and Lily?). To be fair there almost has to be a bit more than in the early books and its being developed quite perceptively with their relative age groups for each book.

Ginny's skills at hexes etc might be interesting in the next book... bat bogey hex was mentioned at least twice.. what else has she got up her sleeve? Being the only girl in the Weasley household means that she had to hold her own (and did!) from an early age. She could be very powerful especially if she loves Harry too? (his mother's love being the original protector of Harry)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but in book five when hermionie tells harry and ron about how ginny was going out with that michael guy she says that ginny dosnt like him any more and that she had given up.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by lotrobsessed524)
    Yeah but in book five when hermionie tells harry and ron about how ginny was going out with that michael guy she says that ginny dosnt like him any more and that she had given up.
    I don't think JKR phrased it quite like that... and she is very precise about what words she uses... it's more like she (Ginny) has given up on Harry (presumably because of Cho etc) ..but there's nothing about not liking Harry. JKR keeping the options open eh?

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I am aware of that. That means that Ginny has got over her stupid childish crush and has grown up a lot. She is developing a lot more as a character and has her own personality now, instead of being a giggly little kid who can't even talk to Harry. She may not fancy him as such now, but there is a much more realistic chance that something may happen now that she is capable of speaking in his presence.

Egan - I was talking about love/sexual relationships. If you look at fansites and particularly fanfiction :eek: they are all love oriented. None of the HP books have been like that so far (I mean relationship love, rather than parental or platonic) and I see no reason for them to become taken over by them. Not that I think they will of course.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I am aware of that. That means that Ginny has got over her stupid childish crush and has grown up a lot. She is developing a lot more as a character and has her own personality now, instead of being a giggly little kid who can't even talk to Harry. She may not fancy him as such now, but there is a much more realistic chance that something may happen now that she is capable of speaking in his presence.

Egan - I was talking about love/sexual relationships. If you look at fansites and particularly fanfiction :eek: they are all love oriented. None of the HP books have been like that so far (I mean relationship love, rather than parental or platonic) and I see no reason for them to become taken over by them. Not that I think they will of course.
    i agree completely and totally!!! BUT, i would like to see some relationships develop in some of the other books. I am kind of interested in that. What do you think about Draco liking Hermione? Do you think that would ever happen in the books?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Joanna*)
    Good job! I don't think that that has been mentioned before.

ReputationRep:
    And doesn't Ron "cast a furtive look" at Harry as he tells Ginny to choose someone better next time? I got the feeling he may have been thinking of Harry as a potential brother in law, hence officially becoming part of the Weasley family.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parvati)
    And doesn't Ron "cast a furtive look" at Harry as he tells Ginny to choose someone better next time? I got the feeling he may have been thinking of Harry as a potential brother in law, hence officially becoming part of the Weasley family.
    I see where u guys are coming from and i think ginny and harry would end up with each other but i just cant see ron and hermione ending up together it would ruine the 3's friendship

ReputationRep:
    It's nearly 6 o'clock in the morning, and I've been up tidying everywhere *back aching*. Gah- I feel house-elf-ish! I need to go to bed as I wont be able to lie in long either *sigh*, so I haven't read all the replies- just the below caught my eye so I'll make a quick response.

I know what you meant and I also know what you mean about fanfic. My mum is addicted, and when I say this, I mean it in a very serious way. She practically spends all her spare time on the net, reading slash (Harry/Snape *horror*) stories.

Bah.

Bed.

ReputationRep:
    I see where u guys are coming from and i think ginny and harry would end up with each other but i just cant see ron and hermione ending up together it would ruine the 3's friendship
    i have never considered that harry and ginny would end up togheter, i know that ginny has liked harry but has harry ever implied that he like ginny in that way?

as for hermione and ron after reading the 4th and the 5th book i thought that they might end up togheter but i'm not sure anymore....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _EMMA_)
    i have never considered that harry and ginny would end up togheter, i know that ginny has liked harry but has harry ever implied that he like ginny in that way?

as for hermione and ron after reading the 4th and the 5th book i thought that they might end up togheter but i'm not sure anymore....
    I just think that Harry needs a good girlfriend like Hermione. And I just really can't see ron and hermione together.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by moncal)
    I just think that Harry needs a good girlfriend like Hermione. And I just really can't see ron and hermione together.
    Ah but Ginny said that she is going to try out for chaser in the quidditch team now Harry's back... so there will be a lot more camaraderie don't you think?

ReputationRep:
    dont forget during exams he seemed to have a thing for pavarati. He kept looking at her hair...
    Dude-You were under the Hp thread people, but i will change that.

ReputationRep:
    hmmm kikas was on 6 days ago, but didn't post. So maybe she hasn't really left.

ReputationRep:
    i dont think that harry will end up with hermione either though i think all 3 of them will find other people out of the friendship because if two of them get together there friendship will fall apart because it has always been them 3 not 2 of them and and there friend (if im making since)

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.