Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brooklyn)
    yeah- still don't see the problem with Ron/Hermione

I've looked ALOT in the books- and lexicon confirms- Ginny is NEVER called anything but Ginny- whatever her full name is, we haven't heard it- although we know her middle name is Molly- (thanks JK!)- but since we know Ron is short for Ronald (CoS) and Percy is short for Percival Ignatius (OotP) we can kind of assume all the Weasley's are nicknamed (except maybe George?)- so GInny could be Guinivere, Virginia, Gwenhyfar (popular in fanfics for some reason)- or a million other things- hopefully we'll find out next book!
    I always assumed it was Virginia, but really it could be anything. I hope J.K tells us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poowpoow)
    Do u mean when Harry tells cho that hes got to meet hermione in the 3 broomsticks right in the middle of their date. cho gets jealous and says "Oh, you'll meet hermione granger!" and then starts going on about the boys who have asked her out, when harry realises that cho is jealous of hermione he starts laughing because it is so ridiculous that she thought he fancied hermione!
    Is that the bit u mean dude?
    Yer, thats what i ment. And that Hermionie says to Harry that he should have told Cho that he didn't want to go and that it would be a huge pain and that he'd rather be with her (or something like that).

ReputationRep:
    yeah- still don't see the problem with Ron/Hermione

I've looked ALOT in the books- and lexicon confirms- Ginny is NEVER called anything but Ginny- whatever her full name is, we haven't heard it- although we know her middle name is Molly- (thanks JK!)- but since we know Ron is short for Ronald (CoS) and Percy is short for Percival Ignatius (OotP) we can kind of assume all the Weasley's are nicknamed (except maybe George?)- so GInny could be Guinivere, Virginia, Gwenhyfar (popular in fanfics for some reason)- or a million other things- hopefully we'll find out next book!
    When you think about it, most of the Weasleys are named after the Knights of the Round Table.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    When you think about it, most of the Weasleys are named after the Knights of the Round Table.
    Really? Thats quite interesting if it isn't coincidental (examples please, I only know Arthur and Lancelot!), I love the way JKR chooses the names so carefully!

ReputationRep:
    Only Arthur and Percy are knights- but ALL the Weasley's EXCEPT Ron are named after English monarchs- as for Ginny, don't forget, the Virgin Queen Elizabeth was known to be a Tudor because of her fiery red hair (her mother got around a bit)- AND her father's name was Henry, often called King HARRY so Harry really does belong to the Wealeys- although Ron may not? hmm...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    They aint gouing to be a couple. Doesn't anyone remember the insodent with his first date with Cho in the 5th book. (I know what it is, but i don't know how to say it. Can someone help me out plz).
    did you think i meant harry and ginny or ron and hermione?

ReputationRep:
    Only Arthur and Percy are knights- but ALL the Weasley's EXCEPT Ron are named after English monarchs- as for Ginny, don't forget, the Virgin Queen Elizabeth was known to be a Tudor because of her fiery red hair (her mother got around a bit)- AND her father's name was Henry, often called King HARRY so Harry really does belong to the Wealeys- although Ron may not? hmm...
    The knights thing could work except for poor old Ron. But as for the Anne Boleyn thing alot of stories were made up after her fall from favour. Elizabeth was definately Henry's daughter though.
    I still think Ginnys a Virginia though.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I reckon that Ginny's a Virginia as well. Somehow the other names just don't suit her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Joanna*)
    I think it's Virginia....but I can't remember where I read it, could've been in OoP. I think Mrs W calls her that when she's telling her off or something...
    yeah i remember that too.... i think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Yeah, I reckon that Ginny's a Virginia as well. Somehow the other names just don't suit her.
    I don't really think it suits her that well, but then I suppose that's partly why names get shortened. I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere that that is her name though, as someone said previously. May have been an interview, but it might not be an official thing at all.

Blah, don't know.

ReputationRep:
    Um, I don't remember a King Percy, or a King Fred. Is Molly short of something? I might be very wrong though, history was never my strong point!

ReputationRep:
    Thats a really wacked out theory.

ReputationRep:
    how can she let Potter die?! :eek: :mad:

i don't want to c that~#
    but i find the book 5 quite boring, don't know what ur guys think :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vanessa8604)
    how can she let Potter die?! :eek: :mad:

i don't want to c that~#
    but i find the book 5 quite boring, don't know what ur guys think :cool:
    Yeah, I read it and im like "Harry Potter is a try-hard rebel" ...

Die-Hard HP fans:Blasphemy! Shes a witch! Burn her! Burn the Harry Potter witch!

Everdawn: But, that makes no sense...

DieHard HP fans: Oh.. yeah.. well... well let you off with a warning this time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everdawn)
    Yeah, I read it and im like "Harry Potter is a try-hard rebel" ...

Die-Hard HP fans:Blasphemy! Shes a witch! Burn her! Burn the Harry Potter witch!

Everdawn: But, that makes no sense...

DieHard HP fans: Oh.. yeah.. well... well let you off with a warning this time.
    hahahahaha you made me laugh out loud!!! and i am a die-hard harry potter fan!!! hehe

ReputationRep:
    I think book 5 was slightly boring towards the end, the rest was V good, but the ending felt dragged out.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry about my wacked out theory- I used to be quite obsessed with the Tudors- I have a lot of info on them- anyways- there is no Kind Fred, but LOTS of Fredericks in various royal branches- Molly is a nickname for Mary- of which there were MANY- and Percy was a popular last name for nobles- actually there was a Thomas Percy involved in the Guy Fawkes thing- but remember, JK said she chooses names carefully, but they aren't connected to the stories at all- she may have made the Arthur/Lucius matchup go by the names in the legend, but that doesn't mean they will have the same story- make sense?

also- found out "Ron" was what King Arthur's spear was called- odd- no idea if that's where she got the name-

ReputationRep:
    Sorry about my wacked out theory- I used to be quite obsessed with the Tudors- I have a lot of info on them- anyways- there is no Kind Fred, but LOTS of Fredericks in various royal branches- Molly is a nickname for Mary- of which there were MANY- and Percy was a popular last name for nobles- actually there was a Thomas Percy involved in the Guy Fawkes thing- but remember, JK said she chooses names carefully, but they aren't connected to the stories at all- she may have made the Arthur/Lucius matchup go by the names in the legend, but that doesn't mean they will have the same story- make sense?

also- found out "Ron" was what King Arthur's spear was called- odd- no idea if that's where she got the name-
    I think there was a site that went through all the meanings of the names and Ron's was some chinese emporor who was killed by a yellow rat.

Just noticed (although it may have been brought up before because it does seen vaguely familiar) Guy FAWKES tried to burn down the houses of parliament, FAWKES the Phoenix, I'm seeing the link, very clever! (I'm having recollections of having to explain the story of Guy Fawkes to a number of non-British people)

I find the choice of names fascinating, (appart from Remus Lupin, which is just unfortunate!) I love how much thought goes into them to match them so well!

ReputationRep:
    Harry Potter is still going strong. Keep up the good work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Harry Potter is still going strong. Keep up the good work.
    Siiiiirrrrrrrrreeeee!!!!!!!!!!!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.