Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaft)
    Maybe they will get a new creature to defend the prison? Maybe Grawp can help...maybe not. Has it been discussed what is going to happen the Grawp in the next book - and what his actual name is? cause remember; Hagrid couldn't really understand what he was saying.
    I think that this is the end of Azkaban.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    Waht was the characteristic of Slytherins? (ie Gryffindors are brave, Ravenclaws are clever, Hufflepuffs are loyal) I can't remember and I've lent my books out.

Off back to uni in a bit so will be back to posting at irregular times until I vanish into a bit of last minute cramming for finals!
    Slyness I reckon.

ReputationRep:
    from the sorting hat song in GOF, Slytheryn prized those of great ambition above all other qualities.

ReputationRep:
    What?

Anyways, which minor character do you think will have the most impact on th upcomeing novels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parvati)
    from the sorting hat song in GOF, Slytheryn prized those of great ambition above all other qualities.
    and they are cunning folk (like said in philosophers stone), I think that JK will try to build up Neville's character more, and I think that he maybe key to the end of the story.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaft)
    and they are cunning folk (like said in philosophers stone), I think that JK will try to build up Neville's character more, and I think that he maybe key to the end of the story.
    I agree, Neville's been getting stronger, and I think he really has something to prove now, I think meetig Bellatrix face to face with have really spurred him on.

Are we all impressed btw? Its 12:30 on the sunday before term starts and I'm in uni working! I'm so dedicated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaft)
    Maybe they will get a new creature to defend the prison? Maybe Grawp can help...maybe not. Has it been discussed what is going to happen the Grawp in the next book - and what his actual name is? cause remember; Hagrid couldn't really understand what he was saying.
    She did say that Grawp would have a bigger part in the books. And he is beter behaved since he has relised how much Hagrid means to him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    She did say that Grawp would have a bigger part in the books. And he is beter behaved since he has relised how much Hagrid means to him.
    Yay, I'm glad, I really liked Grawp, it was one of my favourite parts when he recognised Hermione! I'm trying to imagine what sort of role he'd play though, I mean, I know that Dumbledore had wanted to recruit the giants, but I can't imagine one relatively small giant would do much good.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, Neville's been getting stronger, and I think he really has something to prove now, I think meetig Bellatrix face to face with have really spurred him on.

Are we all impressed btw? Its 12:30 on the sunday before term starts and I'm in uni working! I'm so dedicated!
    lol, Congrates Ditzy. I should be working as well as i couldn't help my sister move back into her uni dorm room. She has too much stuff so i wouldn'yt fit in the car, lmao.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    I think that this is the end of Azkaban.
    Quite possibly, although I think they'd have t have a go at defending it without the dementors, say having aurors guard the place. I have a question though, presumably prisoners in Azkaban have their wands taken from them, so how come Sirius has his?

ReputationRep:
    Quite possibly, although I think they'd have t have a go at defending it without the dementors, say having aurors guard the place. I have a question though, presumably prisoners in Azkaban have their wands taken from them, so how come Sirius has his?

Maybe he hid it when he was put into prison, or got one from a handy plot hole.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vivian)
    Maybe he hid it when he was put into prison, or got one from a handy plot hole.
    Yes, I'm sure if JKR was asked about it there'd be some quick excuse to cover it up! Like he didn't have it with him when he went to Azkaban or something!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I'm sure if JKR was asked about it there'd be some quick excuse to cover it up! Like he didn't have it with him when he went to Azkaban or something!
    Isn't more obvious that he got a new wand? I want to know whether JK is going to develop people doing magic without wands? We know Lupin had a handful of flames in PoA, and Snape I think opens a door in OoP, and also Dumbledore says that he could break out of prison - obviously without his wand - but what else could JK develop? Could they all be like Jedis?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaft)
    Isn't more obvious that he got a new wand? I want to know whether JK is going to develop people doing magic without wands? We know Lupin had a handful of flames in PoA, and Snape I think opens a door in OoP, and also Dumbledore says that he could break out of prison - obviously without his wand.
    You mean take someone elses wand? (like a relative or something)? Because he couldn't exactly go into Ollivanders and buy one!

We have discussed at great length the possibility of using 'wandless magic', Xenon is a big believer in the theory! We know that its possible because Harry does it before he gets to Hogwarts and when he blows Aunt Marge up. One of my main queries about it is how much control a wizard would have over it.

ReputationRep:
    You mean take someone elses wand? (like a relative or something)? Because he couldn't exactly go into Ollivanders and buy one!

We have discussed at great length the possibility of using 'wandless magic', Xenon is a big believer in the theory! We know that its possible because Harry does it before he gets to Hogwarts and when he blows Aunt Marge up. One of my main queries about it is how much control a wizard would have over it.
    Mmmm...maybe it is linked with emotion, and the people who have that power have the power that is locked in the room in the Department of Mysteries? And its not like all wands land up in a second-hand shop...there may have been a spare wand lying in his old house?

Maybe Harry will learn how to control it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaft)
    Mmmm...maybe it is linked with emotion, and the people who have that power have the power that is locked in the room in the Department of Mysteries? And its not like all wands land up in a second-hand shop...there may have been a spare wand lying in his old house?

Maybe Harry will learn how to control it?
    We know that it is mostly controlled with emotion. Harry was mad at Aunt Marge for insulting his parents, so he caused her to blow up. He was sacred of Dudley and his mates so he magically appeared on the school roof.

ReputationRep:
    its definitely to do with strong emotion.

ReputationRep:
    Mmmm...what about the vanishing glass, and when he ended up on the school roofs...that wasn't a particularly strong emotion was it? What about when the door to his cupboard flew open when he blew up 'Aunt Marge'? I'm not sure if it is all linked with strong emotion...

Here's another thought of mine...how do they detect under-age magic? It says in the letter to Harry in CoS, that the magic was only tracked to the residence, how do they know whether or not it wasn't the adult wizard in the house?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaft)
    Mmmm...what about the vanishing glass, and when he ended up on the school roofs...that wasn't a particularly strong emotion was it? What about when the door to his cupboard flew open when he blew up 'Aunt Marge'? I'm not sure if it is all linked with strong emotion...

Here's another thought of mine...how do they detect under-age magic? It says in the letter to Harry in CoS, that the magic was only tracked to the residence, how do they know whether or not it wasn't the adult wizard in the house?
    On the glass thing, Harry was feeling hate towards dudley. When harry blew up aunt marge there wasn't an adult wizard there that could have done the magic. Although it is an interesting thought because when arthur used magic at harry's house in the second book harry didn't get a letter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    On the glass thing, Harry was feeling hate towards dudley. When harry blew up aunt marge there wasn't an adult wizard there that could have done the magic. Although it is an interesting thought because when arthur used magic at harry's house in the second book harry didn't get a letter.
    I'm sure that JK says in one book that the MoM keeps tabs on all magical children. It's how they tell the difference between children and adult wizards.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.