Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    I'm sure that JK says in one book that the MoM keeps tabs on all magical children. It's how they tell the difference between children and adult wizards.
    Maybe there is something distinctive about each person's magic? Doesn't explain everything however

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaft)
    Maybe there is something distinctive about each person's magic? Doesn't explain everything however
    It might be the power behind the magic. Like the difference between a pistol and a bazooka.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    What?

Anyways, which minor character do you think will have the most impact on th upcomeing novels?
    ginny, neville,bellatrix,wormtail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaft)
    Isn't more obvious that he got a new wand? I want to know whether JK is going to develop people doing magic without wands? We know Lupin had a handful of flames in PoA, and Snape I think opens a door in OoP, and also Dumbledore says that he could break out of prison - obviously without his wand - but what else could JK develop? Could they all be like Jedis?
    Did Harry do any of what we might suspect as wandless magic in book 2 (I can't remember)? Could that be the small part which will be important. That wandless magic could be controlled by Harry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Did Harry do any of what we might suspect as wandless magic in book 2 (I can't remember)? Could that be the small part which will be important. That wandless magic could be controlled by Harry.
    He conjured up a bird, a hat, and pulled a sword out of the hat. Is that what you mean? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    He conjured up a bird, a hat, and pulled a sword out of the hat. Is that what you mean? :rolleyes:
    I'm not sure if that counts. Fawkes came to Harry because he was loyal to Dumbledore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    I'm sure that JK says in one book that the MoM keeps tabs on all magical children. It's how they tell the difference between children and adult wizards.
    They can use magic to detect it. If in doubt, its magic, I reckon stories about magic must be quite easy to write, you could explain away allsorts of bizarre plotholes by just saying it was magic!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    They can use magic to detect it. If in doubt, its magic, I reckon stories about magic must be quite easy to write, you could explain away allsorts of bizarre plotholes by just saying it was magic!
    Thats what people in the middle ages thought. Anything unusal was considered to be magic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    Thats what people in the middle ages thought. Anything unusal was considered to be magic.
    Its a good theory to apply to the books though! Anything is possible because its magic! Wish I could do magic!

ReputationRep:
    Its a good theory to apply to the books though! Anything is possible because its magic! Wish I could do magic!
    Everyone wishes that they could do magic, but it's because of that reason that people in America wanted to ban the books. "scarsim"Because they felt it promoted witchcraft "end scarsim".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    Everyone wishes that they could do magic, but it's because of that reason that people in America wanted to ban the books. "scarsim"Because they felt it promoted witchcraft "end scarsim".
    Oh dear, apparently the books have been banned in schools in Coventry for a similar reason, how ridiculous! People are crazy!

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear, apparently the books have been banned in schools in Coventry for a similar reason, how ridiculous! People are crazy!
    I know. It's stupid. As if we don't know that it's fiction.

Just relised tht i've made my 400 post on this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    I know. It's stupid. As if we don't know that it's fiction.

Just relised tht i've made my 400 post on this thread.
    Woohoo, I'd suggest getting the butterbeer out again, but its only 10:25, the pub wouldn't be open yet and I think we night have used up all the supplies from the last party!

ReputationRep:
    I didn't realise they'd been banned anywhere in England! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vivian)
    I didn't realise they'd been banned anywhere in England! :eek:
    Apparently so, I'm not sure if its all the schools in the Coventry area or just the catholic ones, but my housemate was telling us the other day!

ReputationRep:
    Eek, I know several Catholic school banned "His Dark Materials" but not Harry.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I need people to make a decision for me, I have both films on video eventhough they are poor but have recently bought a PS2 (so now have a DVD player) Do I buy the films again on DVD now my loans gone in and I have money?

ReputationRep:
    The DVDs are good, but the extras are a bit childish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vivian)
    The DVDs are good, but the extras are a bit childish.
    So tempted! I've found them both on Amazon quite cheap as well, was kind of put off when I saw them at £25 each in the shops! What are the extras, is it just deleted scenes?

I plan on splashing out on the special edition box set of all the books once book 7 has been released as well, almost bought the first 5 yesterday then realised that it would be a silly idea! (my loans gone in and I suddenly have money burning holes in my pockets, can you tell?!)

[Just noticed I have now over taken Egan1 and I'm the second highest poster on this thread! Don't think I'll be catching up with Xenon soon though, she's rapidly approaching 1000 (I'm sensing another party! )]

ReputationRep:
    deleted scenes. On chamber of secrets theres: 2 annoying and poitless games. V easy quiz, interview with J.K. V V short interviews with main cast, CD rom stuff, "Explore the set" things, etc.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.