Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaft)
    What I don't get is....If they thought Hagrid was attacking all those people, and also therefore a murderer, how come all that happened to him was that he was expelled? And what I find frustrating about the crimes, is that they never use a truth potion for a confession! If Hagrid took a truth potion then he could have proven himself innocent!

If theres one problem I have with Harry Potter its the number of plot holes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vivian)
    If theres one problem I have with Harry Potter its the number of plot holes.
    Example plz.

ReputationRep:
    It would be SO much better if they used truth serum for crimes, but there is a twist- they can only answer with the truth, so you would have to ask them such specific questions- the slightest variance and you get a different answer- in Hagrids case, remember they didn't know the "creature" was a basilisk- they thought it was his acromantula-

also on Hagrid- he may have been keep of the keys and gamekeeper, while Ogg was groundskeeper- Hagrid has so many title, I'm sure they came on him gradually, not all at age 13-
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Brooklyn)

also on Hagrid- he may have been keep of the keys and gamekeeper, while Ogg was groundskeeper- Hagrid has so many title, I'm sure they came on him gradually, not all at age 13-
    So exactly WHAT are the Keys Hagrid is the Keeper of?

ReputationRep:
    The books would have been a bit less interesting if the truth serum was continuusly. I mean Sirius could have been proved innocent ages ago if it had been used. But then, knowing fudge, he would have probably thought that the serum had somehow been tampered with to not be accurate or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    We have discussed at great length the possibility of using 'wandless magic', Xenon is a big believer in the theory!
    Heh, I quite enjoyed the discussion- if you recall, I had that massive post with the different types of magic users that are established in legend and the fantasy genre. Quite interesting, but as I said back then, JK may be restricting herself to tooled (wand) magic.

I plan on splashing out on the special edition box set
    I wouldn't bother with the DVDs if I were you, atleast, not yet, unless you think a lot more of the films than I do (which is possible). I think we have them both on DVD, and I certainly remember the first extra-footage being poor. Can't recall for the second, but I doubt they make much improvement/further insight from the original. Spend your loan on something else :P (the audio tapes/CDs are very good if you're set on HP!)

(Original post by parvati)
    It is strange that Voldy would pick Ginny of all people to possess in CoS.
    But he didn't. If you remember, Malfoy gave Ginny the Riddle's diary and she became an oppertunity for him to become powerful again. He didn't have many options as to the medium which he would/could posses.

(Original post by Shaft)
    And what I find frustrating about the crimes, is that they never use a truth potion for a confession! If Hagrid took a truth potion then he could have proven himself innocent!
    That could be said for so many different problems in the story. The deatheaters, Sirius, Hagrid, Harry -the use of the most powerful truth potion would have cleared things up, however it would also have left us with much less story.

---

http://www.uk-learning.net/t23812-57.html -just dug up around where we/I was talking about the magic users [scroll down]
    Goodness, I think '...'s appear about 20 times in every post of mine back then!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    Heh, I quite enjoyed the discussion- if you recall, I had that massive post with the different types of magic users that are established in legend and the fantasy genre. Quite interesting, but as I said back then, JK may be restricting herself to tooled (wand) magic.
    !
    Heehee, I do rather fancy the idea of wandless magic don't I. Could be wishful thinking. It just seemed weird that there were all these little bits of magic, which could be described by wandless magic, but they could be red herrings.
    Btw, we once discussed who could be the most powerful (magic-wise) wizard. e.g Voldie, dumbledore or Harry etc. What did we come up with? (short-term memory, and at this late can't be bothered to look it up).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    That could be said for so many different problems in the story. The deatheaters, Sirius, Hagrid, Harry -the use of the most powerful truth potion would have cleared things up, however it would also have left us with much less story.
    Maybe it's like lie detector machines in the real realm - which are not 100% accurate and are generally not used as they do not provide reliable evidence. Perhaps veritaserum is somewhat flawed as well?

ReputationRep:
    man this sucks i was really really sick again (after i thought i was getting better ) and missed about 8 pages of what u guys have been talking about *MUST READ*

ReputationRep:
    never mind either i posted later then i thought i have or u guys are posting shorter these days because its only 4 pages

ReputationRep:
    IM DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!(reading the thread) And i have to say if they searched the school so many times for the chamber and didnt find it why did they blame hagrid for opening it.......how could he have let the monster out of the chamber if they couldnt find the chamber????????????????????????? ??????//(i probebly need to read #2 again)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lotrobsessed524)
    IM DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!(reading the thread) And i have to say if they searched the school so many times for the chamber and didnt find it why did they blame hagrid for opening it.......how could he have let the monster out of the chamber if they couldnt find the chamber????????????????????????? ??????//(i probebly need to read #2 again)
    Maybe they thought that the creature that killed Mytel didn't come from the chamber.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Maybe it's like lie detector machines in the real realm - which are not 100% accurate and are generally not used as they do not provide reliable evidence. Perhaps veritaserum is somewhat flawed as well?
    Veritaserum is only as good as the wizard they put it on.

ReputationRep:
    I aint too sure if this is correct news, but someone i know works in a book shop and when she looked up Harry Potter on the database, it said the new one was coming out next year in July.

Not sure if i believe her though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Joanna*)
    How old d'you reckon Mrs Weasley is? Was reading GoF, and where she came to Harry before the last task she was reminiscing about the gamekeeper before Hagrid, Ogg. Well, Hagrid was expelled in his third year(?) fifty years before CoS, therefore fifty two years before GoF, so that makes him about 65ish. So is Mrs W older than him or did he not become gamekeeper right away? Hmm...maybe he was some kind of assistant, but you'd think Mrs W would've mentionned it...
    We definately know that Mrs Weasley's older than Sirius etc, because she was very interested in the Whomping Willoe which hadn't been there when she was at school. She doesn't apprear to have had a career of any sorts, other than keeping her house and having lots of children! I'm kind of lead to think that she and Arthur are roughly the same age and got married and had lots of children pretty soon after leaving school (I'm sure it said some where that she and Arthur were caught sneaking about to be together, might have imagined it though!) Which would make her about 20 years older than Bill (can't remember how old JKR said he was, it was in her most recent interview though)

(Original post by Shaft)
    What I don't get is....If they thought Hagrid was attacking all those people, and also therefore a murderer, how come all that happened to him was that he was expelled? And what I find frustrating about the crimes, is that they never use a truth potion for a confession! If Hagrid took a truth potion then he could have proven himself innocent!
    Perhaps there's a minimum punishable age, and as Hagrid was only 13 he was too young to go to Azkaban or something

(Original post by Geogger)
    So exactly WHAT are the Keys Hagrid is the Keeper of?
    The keys to Hogwarts? In the olden days people used to be given the keys to the city of London, can't remember who though, I kinda of figured it was along those sorts of lines.

ReputationRep:
    We definately know that Mrs Weasley's older than Sirius etc, because she was very interested in the Whomping Willoe which hadn't been there when she was at school. She doesn't apprear to have had a career of any sorts, other than keeping her house and having lots of children! I'm kind of lead to think that she and Arthur are roughly the same age and got married and had lots of children pretty soon after leaving school (I'm sure it said some where that she and Arthur were caught sneaking about to be together, might have imagined it though!) Which would make her about 20 years older than Bill (can't remember how old JKR said he was, it was in her most recent interview though)
    Conisdering Mrs Weasley does have 7 children, i'm guessing she is quite old. I think that it's obvious why they have so many children, thy wanted a girl.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    Veritaserum is only as good as the wizard they put it on.
    And maybe, seeing as people can learn to throw off the Imperius curse, if they know they're getting veritaserum they can learn to resist it. Who knows? I guess that's something they won't go into much - they have too much else to do!

ReputationRep:
    There is a timeline on the Lexicon based on JKs interviews and the books that says how old hte Weasleys are- according to her- until Ginny, they were all two years apart- but somehow, Charlie wasn't a 7th year when Ron was a 1st year, but I'm thinking that can be excused away under when his birthday falls- so Bill is only eight years older than Ron (which is how apart my sister and I are)- so basically, Ms. Weasley could have been in her very early 30s when she had Ginny- that also means there was a long time when they were ALL home- before Bill went to school- no wonder they are so poor!

ReputationRep:
    Dude- that's so funny- if you look back- June/July 2005 was exactly when we guessed Book 6 would come out- here's hoping your friend is right!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brooklyn)
    Dude- that's so funny- if you look back- June/July 2005 was exactly when we guessed Book 6 would come out- here's hoping your friend is right!
    Thats why i don't believe her . Summer 2005 is the guess of every HP fan.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.