Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    We definately know that Mrs Weasley's older than Sirius etc, because she was very interested in the Whomping Willoe which hadn't been there when she was at school. She doesn't apprear to have had a career of any sorts, other than keeping her house and having lots of children! I'm kind of lead to think that she and Arthur are roughly the same age and got married and had lots of children pretty soon after leaving school (I'm sure it said some where that she and Arthur were caught sneaking about to be together, might have imagined it though!) Which would make her about 20 years older than Bill (can't remember how old JKR said he was, it was in her most recent interview though)
    Yeah it does, it's in GoF, when she's on that tour with Harry. I think it's when they get to the Fat Lady picture. Something about getting back at 4 in the morning, oooo what a rebel! I reckon Bill's about 23 in GoF, but I can't remember how I worked it out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    Veritaserum is only as good as the wizard they put it on.
    How so? I dont think anyone could resist it, because if anyone could, it would be volde, and if knew how he probably would have passed something along to his death eaters, but crouch told them everything... unless it has something to do with strengh, not magic. About the wandless magic: it seems a lot of people can get a handle on it... maybe not. I thought ms.weasly could back in book 4 when she was cooking, but i looked and it all was done by her wand. We know dumbledore can do it, and volde as well. Anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    Here is some evidence against the Knight thoery from the lexicion:

"Mr. Ridley is Ronald Ridley, a family friend, after whom Ron Weasly is named"

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone else notice that we never found the significance of the Phoenix in book 5? My only, rather poor guess is that we know phoenix's burn up and are re-born, so perhaps the order was kind of like this : It feel apart during/after volde's downfall, then came back together when he rose up again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    Did anyone else notice that we never found the significance of the Phoenix in book 5? My only, rather poor guess is that we know phoenix's burn up and are re-born, so perhaps the order was kind of like this : It feel apart during/after volde's downfall, then came back together when he rose up again.
    I dont know wasnt it called the order of pheonix before volde's down fall

ReputationRep:
    or did they just call it the order??????????????

ReputationRep:
    I was just reading something very interesting in the lexicion: After the Potters house is destroyed, ( a mystery on its own, what destroyed it?) the first person on the scene is none other then Fudge, who at the time was a junior minister in the department of magical catastrophies. 20 members of the MES (magical enforcement squad) supposedly take Sirius away. But then how is he later framed by wormtail, and let hagrid barrow his bike, if he is in custody? Anyway: Isn't it odd that Fudge, someone of little importantance at the time, was the first on the scene. So what everyone heard about the whole thing would have come from Fudge, so people would have believed it was Sirius, if fudge said it was. Fudge then sets to work modifing the memories of witnesses. Logic would say it was because they had seen the incident, or maybe it was to frame Sirius? What i am getting at is perhaps fudge is a death eater. It seems very odd that even before aurors or anyone else was there. Seems like very good timeing to me. Also, if he felt unsafe, it seems like he would have waited for some "back up", how could he know volde wasn't there waiting for anyone else to show up? Instead, he rushed there anyway. This doesn't seem like the kind of thing the department he belongs too would be involved in, even less that he would be involved in. It seems odd that he went right away. Also, lately he has been showing a lot of death eater charactoristics like meeting with malfoy. Perhaps his whole not believeing volde was back was all a ploy to get volde more time. His denial seemed to upset dumbledore, and Fudge's personality change was very noticable after/during book 4. Also, I find it odd that NO ONE was in the ministry when volde came, with so many people it seems some one would be there. Fudge could ahve arranged for everyone to go home early or something. Also, he really seems to want dumbledore gone from hogwarts. Why? Because when he is there, harry cannot be touched for volde. What better tool for volde then fudge? Hope this all makes sense

ReputationRep:
    It does make sense- I like most of your theory- although I'm not sure on the whole Sirius/memory modification thing- and I thought they DIDN'T get Sirius yet- they got him later when Peter blew up the street- and they knew it was him who betrayed the Potters because Dumbledore told them he was the secret keeper- so he had plenty of time to get there and give Hagrid his bike- I'm guessing Fudge was there because they were keeping an eye on the situation from the ministry- and as for Magical Catastrophies, I'm guessing they were there because it was...well... a magical catastrophe- two people killed- house blown to bits- Voldie gone- makes sense to me- I'm sure he meant first on the scene from the Ministry- he couldnt' tell if anyone else had been there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brooklyn)
    It does make sense- I like most of your theory- although I'm not sure on the whole Sirius/memory modification thing- and I thought they DIDN'T get Sirius yet- they got him later when Peter blew up the street- and they knew it was him who betrayed the Potters because Dumbledore told them he was the secret keeper- so he had plenty of time to get there and give Hagrid his bike- I'm guessing Fudge was there because they were keeping an eye on the situation from the ministry- and as for Magical Catastrophies, I'm guessing they were there because it was...well... a magical catastrophe- two people killed- house blown to bits- Voldie gone- makes sense to me- I'm sure he meant first on the scene from the Ministry- he couldnt' tell if anyone else had been there
    Thats kind of what i thought too: how could they get Sirius, even though he "killed" peter later? I can see why someone from that department was there, but why not someone more important, or even the minister at the time? Aurors as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    Thats kind of what i thought too: how could they get Sirius, even though he "killed" peter later? I can see why someone from that department was there, but why not someone more important, or even the minister at the time? Aurors as well.
    Sirius had just managed to make it to the Potters house, presumable as soon as he heard, and lent Hagrid his bike to take Harry to Dumbledore where he'd be safe. They didn't get Sirius on the night the Potter's were killed, he was arrested later. He went after Peter knowing that he'd betrayed them and Sirius was caught after attempting to kill Peter. I know I'm waffling a bit here, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    Sirius had just managed to make it to the Potters house, presumable as soon as he heard, and lent Hagrid his bike to take Harry to Dumbledore where he'd be safe. They didn't get Sirius on the night the Potter's were killed, he was arrested later. He went after Peter knowing that he'd betrayed them and Sirius was caught after attempting to kill Peter. I know I'm waffling a bit here, sorry.
    That's right as far as we know it but there are some things that don't make sense. We know that Hagrid was the first person there because he was the one who pulled Harry out. Presumably Dumbledore told Hagrid to go but how did Sirius know? We know he was second because he got there and tried to take Harry which proves that there weren't any ministry people there at the time. Know there is the time thing. We know that voldie is "dead" by morning of the first day of the first book and that everyone knows it but why does it take Hagrid all day to get Harry to privet drive? I have always assumed that voldie killed the potters around dusk but I don't know if that works out or if we have enough information to figure it out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    That's right as far as we know it but there are some things that don't make sense. We know that Hagrid was the first person there because he was the one who pulled Harry out. Presumably Dumbledore told Hagrid to go but how did Sirius know? We know he was second because he got there and tried to take Harry which proves that there weren't any ministry people there at the time. Know there is the time thing. We know that voldie is "dead" by morning of the first day of the first book and that everyone knows it but why does it take Hagrid all day to get Harry to privet drive? I have always assumed that voldie killed the potters around dusk but I don't know if that works out or if we have enough information to figure it out.
    We know he would have had to have killed the Potter's during the night at some point for the news of Voldemorts death to have reached the wizarding community by the morning. Persumably Dumbledore had some way of monitoring the Potter's by magic to make sure they were safe, perhaps Sirius did too. Anyway, Dumbledore finds out about the events at Godric's Hollow, and sends Hagrid to retrieve Harry, Hagrid takes Harry somewhere safe to hide until Dumbledore can fine tune his plan, Dumbledore then gives Hagrid a signal that tells him where to take Harry and when.

I have know idea if it happened like that, but that was how I always explained it to myself

ReputationRep:
    I have a couple of questions...which could easily have been answered before, but this thread is so long, there's no way I'm looking through all of it.

What year do the Harry Potter books start? Some time in the 80s I was told, but when exactly...ie. how old would Harry be now kind of thing.

Also, if the ministry know every time Harry uses magic during the holidays, then when Hermione comes in when Ron is trying to make scabbers yellow, and she says all the simple spells she tried at home worked for her, why didn't she get into trouble?

How old are Rons parents? Wouldn't they have been at school the same time as Harry's? They never say that they knew them personally, which, if they were at school together, seems a bit odd.

can't think of any other questions off the top of my head, but I have loads really....ah well

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah...and why on earth didn't Harry just use that mirror thing Sirius gave him. Sirius had told him to use the present if he ever needed to contact him. Would have saved all that trouble with the fireplace and floo powder etc. And would have meant, in the long run, that everything that happened, wouldn't have happened, and Sirius would still be alive...
    And why doesn't Harry, the idiot, realise this, when he finds the two way mirror thing, after Sirius is already dead? He tries to contact his ghost (as far as I can remember), but it doesn't ever dawn on him, that he could have used it ages ago, when it would have actually been of some use.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shilling)
    What year do the Harry Potter books start? Some time in the 80s I was told, but when exactly...ie. how old would Harry be now kind of thing.
    In Chamber of Secrets, Nearly Headless Nick has his 500th Deathday party, and the writing on the cake says "....1492," meaning it is 1992 in this book and the first one therefore takes place in 1991, so Harry would be 23 now (24th birthday in July), assuming he didn't die at the end of book 7.

How old are Rons parents? Wouldn't they have been at school the same time as Harry's? They never say that they knew them personally, which, if they were at school together, seems a bit odd.
    It is assumed that they are older than Harry's parents were, because Mrs Weasley is interested by the Whomping Willow when she visits, which was not there when they were students (It was planted when Lupin arrived at the school, to protect the entrance to the tunnel to the Shrieking Shack). Therefore they would not have known them in school, although would have probably met them later when they were members of the Order of the Phoenix.

Oh yeah...and why on earth didn't Harry just use that mirror thing Sirius gave him. Sirius had told him to use the present if he ever needed to contact him. Would have saved all that trouble with the fireplace and floo powder etc. And would have meant, in the long run, that everything that happened, wouldn't have happened, and Sirius would still be alive...
    Because Harry's an idiot. He says somewhere in OotP that he knew he'd never use it, maybe because he thought it was too dangerous or something, I can't remember and I don't have the books with me to check.

I don't know about the underage magic one, maybe someone else can answer that?!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    I don't know about the underage magic one, maybe someone else can answer that?!?
    Hmmm, maybe the law doesn't come into action before you go to school or reach a certain age or something. I'm not sure about that either. I wish we could get the answer from J K Rowling.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure its like the emotional magic before you go to school- Harry never got a warning for setting the snake on Dudley either- I'm sure you have to have gone to school first- they probably think you can't do much without ever having been to classes-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shilling)
    I have a couple of questions...which could easily have been answered before, but this thread is so long, there's no way I'm looking through all of it.

Also, if the ministry know every time Harry uses magic during the holidays, then when Hermione comes in when Ron is trying to make scabbers yellow, and she says all the simple spells she tried at home worked for her, why didn't she get into trouble?

can't think of any other questions off the top of my head, but I have loads really....ah well
    Ron's parents were at hogwarts together in the 1970's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brooklyn)
    I'm sure its like the emotional magic before you go to school- Harry never got a warning for setting the snake on Dudley either- I'm sure you have to have gone to school first- they probably think you can't do much without ever having been to classes-
    and getting on to his school roof.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    The lexicion says fudge was first on the scene, but he must have been third, after Hagrid, and Sirius.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.