The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7320
Brooklyn
I'm sure its like the emotional magic before you go to school- Harry never got a warning for setting the snake on Dudley either- I'm sure you have to have gone to school first- they probably think you can't do much without ever having been to classes-

The difference is that Hermione used a wand whereas the emotional magic is wandless. That's one reason why it would be so good to introduce wandless magic in thelast 2 books, as I think it can go undetected. Maybe kids who aren't at that school age aren't monitored for magic or something.
Reply 7321
that would make sense- especially in Hermione's case- she was muggle born- I wonder how they figure out which muggles are magical? also notice- EVERYONE uses magic on the trains going both ways- no problems there- and do you think they are allowed to use magic during holidays? Fred and George act towards the notes in book 1 as though its the first they've gotten all year- and it would explain the JK error of saying Lily used it on holidays (or maybe she meant at home after she was 17)-

Here's another thought- if the Potters were in hiding (enough to use the Fidelius Charm) they wouldn't have stayed in their own house, would they? maybe Godric's Hollow was some sort of vacation or family estate?

also- Harry's Vault has his name on it- is it possible that there is a "Potter" family vault as well? One he has to be 17 for?
I was wondering if there are any more hidden anagrams in Harry Potter?

We know that TOM MARVOLO RIDDLE is an anagram of I AM LORD VOLDEMORT, and I recently realised that 'Erised stra ehru oyt ube cafru oyt on wohsi' is 'I show not your face but your hearts desire' backwards, and also Lupin is latin for wolf - maybe there are some more anagrams that she has yet to reveal that could suggest something to future storylines?

Good idea about the vault, but I don't think Harry is hard pushed for money so it wouldn't add much to the plot if he got more money. Also they would be magical vaults, so perhaps it would have altered itself when Lily and James died?
Reply 7323
Shaft
I was wondering if there are any more hidden anagrams in Harry Potter?

We know that TOM MARVOLO RIDDLE is an anagram of I AM LORD VOLDEMORT, and I recently realised that 'Erised stra ehru oyt ube cafru oyt on wohsi' is 'I show not your face but your hearts desire' backwards, and also Lupin is latin for wolf - maybe there are some more anagrams that she has yet to reveal that could suggest something to future storylines?

Good idea about the vault, but I don't think Harry is hard pushed for money so it wouldn't add much to the plot if he got more money. Also they would be magical vaults, so perhaps it would have altered itself when Lily and James died?

There are loads of things like that. Off the top of my head I remember Verita Serum, the truth potion. VERITAS is latin for truth. erm its 5:27am right now and I can't think of any more. JKR is rather clever and threw a shirt load of things like that in. One of the reasons I like the books. Love the thread by the way Xenon, keep it going mate :smile:
Reply 7324
Sire
There are loads of things like that. Off the top of my head I remember Verita Serum, the truth potion. VERITAS is latin for truth. erm its 5:27am right now and I can't think of any more. JKR is rather clever and threw a shirt load of things like that in. One of the reasons I like the books. Love the thread by the way Xenon, keep it going mate :smile:

Hi Sire, nice to have your input back here. How's it going? Like my avatar? :smile:
Reply 7325
Brooklyn
Here's another thought- if the Potters were in hiding (enough to use the Fidelius Charm) they wouldn't have stayed in their own house, would they? maybe Godric's Hollow was some sort of vacation or family estate?

Maybe, if the potters are related to Godric Gryffindor (and Harry is the heir), then Godric's Hollow might be an inherited house. It might be a hidden house, which they might have used. Oh, I dunno.
Reply 7326
i bet dumbledore full name is one. Albus percival wulfric brain dumbledore. Who needs that many names?
Shaft

If you know a bit of Latin, there is a load of stuff in there - loads of the spells and names of stuff have Latin connections. I'm amazed at how long it took some people to realise what the mirror of Erised says- I got it straight away, but it took my sister years, until I read the books and was talking about it to her!

Apparently "Dumbledore" is an old English word for bumblebee, which JKR just liked the sound of. Albus means white, I think. Voldemort either means "thief of death" or "wing of death" - can't remember which she said, but it's French.
Reply 7328
PadFoot90
I was just reading something very interesting in the lexicion: After the Potters house is destroyed, ( a mystery on its own, what destroyed it?) the first person on the scene is none other then Fudge, who at the time was a junior minister in the department of magical catastrophies. 20 members of the MES (magical enforcement squad) supposedly take Sirius away. But then how is he later framed by wormtail, and let hagrid barrow his bike, if he is in custody? Anyway: Isn't it odd that Fudge, someone of little importantance at the time, was the first on the scene. So what everyone heard about the whole thing would have come from Fudge, so people would have believed it was Sirius, if fudge said it was. Fudge then sets to work modifing the memories of witnesses. Logic would say it was because they had seen the incident, or maybe it was to frame Sirius? What i am getting at is perhaps fudge is a death eater. It seems very odd that even before aurors or anyone else was there. Seems like very good timeing to me. Also, if he felt unsafe, it seems like he would have waited for some "back up", how could he know volde wasn't there waiting for anyone else to show up? Instead, he rushed there anyway. This doesn't seem like the kind of thing the department he belongs too would be involved in, even less that he would be involved in. It seems odd that he went right away. Also, lately he has been showing a lot of death eater charactoristics like meeting with malfoy. Perhaps his whole not believeing volde was back was all a ploy to get volde more time. His denial seemed to upset dumbledore, and Fudge's personality change was very noticable after/during book 4. Also, I find it odd that NO ONE was in the ministry when volde came, with so many people it seems some one would be there. Fudge could ahve arranged for everyone to go home early or something. Also, he really seems to want dumbledore gone from hogwarts. Why? Because when he is there, harry cannot be touched for volde. What better tool for volde then fudge? Hope this all makes sense

I like your theroy mate, but have u considered a one simple reason. Fudge is power mad. He did all of that to possibly be a big show off. The reason he hates Dumbledore is that he got more support for the role of MoM.
Reply 7329
Dude
I like your theroy mate, but have u considered a one simple reason. Fudge is power mad. He did all of that to possibly be a big show off. The reason he hates Dumbledore is that he got more support for the role of MoM.

is he so power mad that he would.... be a death eater and a volde sidekick :tongue:
Reply 7330
I think Fudge is just going to fade out during book 6. :smile:
Reply 7331
PadFoot90
The lexicion says fudge was first on the scene, but he must have been third, after Hagrid, and Sirius.

That has to be wrong. In book thre, Sirius said that he went to check on Wormtails hiding place and found him missing. So he went straight to the Potters knowing what had happened beforehand. When he got there he saw Hagrid fishing out Harry, said "Give Harry to me Hagrid, i'm his Godfatehr. I'll look after him". Hagrid said no , so Sirius gave him his motorbike and then went after Wormtail, who then blew up the whole street, turned into a rat and Sirius got the blame. And then Fudge turned up.
Reply 7332
PadFoot90
is he so power mad that he would.... be a death eater and a volde sidekick :tongue:

I'm thinking more along the lines of "Percy Power Mad"
Reply 7333
Dude

So jealous of Dumbledore that he's blind to the truth. Percy would do waaaaay better to get his act together! One Fudge is enough.
PadFoot90

No, I don't think so. But just because someone isn't on the "bad" side, doesn't mean they're not a bad person. Fudge is a nasty piece of work, power happy but insecure so he bullies people. He's not on the Dark Side, I don't think, but he's just as much of a hindrance to the others.
Reply 7335
Xenon
Hi Sire, nice to have your input back here. How's it going? Like my avatar? :smile:

Things are going good. Think I've got a High Distinction coming my way for economics, perhaps only a Distinction for history of economics, and marketing and management should be another Distinction if not better. WAAHOOO:smile: love the avatar too, very nice :smile: Almost didn't recognise you with it though.
Reply 7336
Sire
Things are going good. Think I've got a High Distinction coming my way for economics, perhaps only a Distinction for history of economics, and marketing and management should be another Distinction if not better. WAAHOOO:smile: love the avatar too, very nice :smile: Almost didn't recognise you with it though.

I saw the site you your avatar came from, Moncal Pm'ed it too me... I think i sent you a Pm entitled "The Empire". Take a look if you wish
Reply 7337
Xenon
The difference is that Hermione used a wand whereas the emotional magic is wandless.

Dobby's magic in the second book was wandless and Harry got in trouble for it.
Reply 7338
PadFoot90
I saw the site you your avatar came from, Moncal Pm'ed it too me... I think i sent you a Pm entitled "The Empire". Take a look if you wish

What does the Empire do?
Reply 7339
Sire
What does the Empire do?

You may wish to see the first post:http://www.uk-learning.net/showpost.php?p=531902&postcount=1

Sorry everyone :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending