Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shilling)
    Where did it say that?
    It didn't specifically say it, its just my pet theory.

In OotP, when Umbridge is inspecting Snape she asks him how long he's been at Hogwarts, he replies 14 years. She also mentions that he originally applied for the DADA position. This implies that there were two teaching position available when Snape got the Potions job. We also know that Harry was a year old when his parents died (14 years ago in book 5) which would make the dates right.

There are a couple of holes in my argument (like why were they at Godrics Hollow and not teaching at Hogwarts, and surely teachers don't get paid that much money) but I think its the one that has the most evidence from the books supporting it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    That is quiet an interesting theory. I wish jk would release something lik Hogwarts, A history to keep us entertained.
    I'm hoping she will. As I've said before, I'll be so very disappointed if it doesn't have over 1000 pages though! Maybe we'll get it for Comic Relief or something

ReputationRep:
    If she can't finish book 6 in a few years, how long do you REALLY think Hogwarts, a History would take? That book has EVERYTHING- plus I'm sure it would have too many clues for the last two books- I DO hope she writes it after all of this is over!

When is the one year anniversary of this thread?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brooklyn)
    If she can't finish book 6 in a few years, how long do you REALLY think Hogwarts, a History would take? That book has EVERYTHING- plus I'm sure it would have too many clues for the last two books- I DO hope she writes it after all of this is over!

When is the one year anniversary of this thread?
    The one year anniversity of the thread is 1st July!
    I don't think that Ron or Hermione will die, cos Harry will blame himself, and be totally miserable. To save Harry's sanity, they can't die. But I do thinkl that some of the Weasleys might die. Do you reckon that Mr or Mrs Weasley will die?
    I hope that Hogwarts a history is made, except that it would take ages. I always imagine the book to weigh a tonne and have more pages than even one of those university text books!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    No no no, both Lily and James were teachers!
    I had not thought of Lily and James being teachers. I can imagine Lily being a teacher but James seems too flamboyant to settle down as a teacher.
    But having said that, what if James was the DADA teacher before he died? That would be another reason for Snape to hate James, as Snape has never been allowed to teach that subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    The one year anniversity of the thread is 1st July!
    I don't think that Ron or Hermione will die, cos Harry will blame himself, and be totally miserable. To save Harry's sanity, they can't die. But I do thinkl that some of the Weasleys might die. Do you reckon that Mr or Mrs Weasley will die?
    I would be devastated if the twins, Ron or Ginny die. Any of the other Weasleys seem more likely not to make it.

ReputationRep:
    If we have to pick a Weasley, I'd say Charlie or Percy- Charlie because we barely know him- it wouldn't bother me too much (that being said, I wonder if JK is doing that on purpose? Some bigger Charlie plans in the works?) and Precy, because giving his life for the order is the only way I could forgive him- what a git

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    i dnt think mrs weasley will cos dat wud b 2 much cos den all harry's parental figures will.
    i reckon (an so dus my lil bro) dat dumbledore will die as sum sort of ultimate sacrifice 4 good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parvati)
    I had not thought of Lily and James being teachers. I can imagine Lily being a teacher but James seems too flamboyant to settle down as a teacher.
    But having said that, what if James was the DADA teacher before he died? That would be another reason for Snape to hate James, as Snape has never been allowed to teach that subject.
    We still don't know the exact reason why Snape is not allowed to be DADA teacher. Maybe it's too dangerous incase Voldie found out that he was teaching kids to DEFEND against the dark arts, therefor helping to try and kill him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaZyGaL)
    i dnt think mrs weasley will cos dat wud b 2 much cos den all harry's parental figures will.
    i reckon (an so dus my lil bro) dat dumbledore will die as sum sort of ultimate sacrifice 4 good
    Yeah, he'll probably die trying to save Harry or something. Continuing to do what he has been trying to do all Harry's life.

ReputationRep:
    i know this keeps happening with me getting sick and all but i just went on a short vacation and i have missed so much can some one update me?

ReputationRep:

In OotP, when Umbridge is inspecting Snape she asks him how long he's been at Hogwarts, he replies 14 years. She also mentions that he originally applied for the DADA position. This implies that there were two teaching position available when Snape got the Potions job. We also know that Harry was a year old when his parents died (14 years ago in book 5) which would make the dates right.

There are a couple of holes in my argument (like why were they at Godrics Hollow and not teaching at Hogwarts, and surely teachers don't get paid that much money) but I think its the one that has the most evidence from the books supporting it
    I really like your theory. It makes a lot of sense - except that if Lily and James were teachers, you'd think they'd have been teaching charms and transfiguration, not potions and DADA...but still, I hadn't thought of that possibility before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    We still don't know the exact reason why Snape is not allowed to be DADA teacher. Maybe it's too dangerous incase Voldie found out that he was teaching kids to DEFEND against the dark arts, therefor helping to try and kill him.
    He was a former Death Eater. You'd think he would make the perfect DADA teacher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    He was a former Death Eater. You'd think he would make the perfect DADA teacher.
    So, as I was saying, we don't know the full reason why Dumbledore won't let him be the DADA teacher. I don't think that it's cos he doesn't trust Snape. It would be interesting if he was the DADA teacher, cos then Harry might push even harder. But then, it could have a negative effect. Then again, maybe Dumbledore is doing this for Sanpe's saftey so he is not suspected of being in the order.

ReputationRep:

Godric's Hollow could have been inherited. I am a bit confused about the fact that if they were teachers, they didn't remain in Hogwarts. After all, Hogwarts is the safest place for Harry to stay cos of Dumbledore. But, Harry's parents did have to go into hiding, so perhaps they couldn't stay teaching at hogwarts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    So, as I was saying, we don't know the full reason why Dumbledore won't let him be the DADA teacher. I don't think that it's cos he doesn't trust Snape. It would be interesting if he was the DADA teacher, cos then Harry might push even harder. But then, it could have a negative effect. Then again, maybe Dumbledore is doing this for Sanpe's saftey so he is not suspected of being in the order.
    My orginal theory was that Fudge forbit Snape from teaching students the Dark Arts because he could try to put them on Voldemorts side.

But since OoP came out and Umbridge said that the Ministry isn't allowed to interfear with Hogwarts, it scrabes that theory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    So, as I was saying, we don't know the full reason why Dumbledore won't let him be the DADA teacher. Then again, maybe Dumbledore is doing this for Snape's saftey so he is not suspected of being in the order.
    Thats a good point. Snape does appear extremely proficient at DADA (e.g. occlumency and protecting Harry during Quiddich etc etc). And Dumbledore has said time and time again how much he trusts Snape. So the only reason I can think of for not giving Snape the DADA job is for his own protection so he is not suspected of being in the order. And from the outside it does look like Snape is not trusted by Dumbledore which is also a good cover.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Godric's Hollow could have been inherited. I am a bit confused about the fact that if they were teachers, they didn't remain in Hogwarts. After all, Hogwarts is the safest place for Harry to stay cos of Dumbledore. But, Harry's parents did have to go into hiding, so perhaps they couldn't stay teaching at hogwarts.
    How do we know that the teachers stay at Hogwarts during the holidays. They might go to their own houses. Do we know the day that Harry was attacked. It must have been during the Summer holis for Dumbledore, McGonagall and Hagrid to show up at the Dursley doorstep.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe Dumbledore just thinks Snape would be better at Potions? Plus it provides a useful narrative device for introducing new characters each book.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)

If lily and james were teachers then Hogwarts could be the safest place for Harry because of their love which should inhabit the school.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.