Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    If our theory about Fawkes is correct and he is the former pet of Godric Gryinndor, why would Voldemort, being the heir of Sytherien get a wand with a tail feather from Fawkes.
    I haven't read the theories yet, but that sounds like a good one. -If you remember, Griffindor and Slytherin were very close friends, atleast at one point, so it might not be so strange that Slytherin's heir could have some connection to any remainder of Gryffindor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    Just a thought guys. I've just finished reading book 4 again and relised something.

If our theory about Fawkes is correct and he is the former pet of Godric Gryinndor, why would Voldemort, being the heir of Sytherien get a wand with a tail feather from Fawkes.

Does it ever say in the books that Slytherine and Gryffindor actually hated each other? Or did the fueds start after their deaths because they liked different people?

Another question. Why doesn't Dumbledore have a wand with one of fawke's tail feathers? I bet he has a dragon heartstring for his since he discovered 12 uses for dragon blood.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    Does it ever say in the books that Slytherine and Gryffindor actually hated each other? Or did the fueds start after their deaths because they liked different people?

Another question. Why doesn't Dumbledore have a wand with one of fawke's tail feathers? I bet he has a dragon heartstring for his since he discovered 12 uses for dragon blood.
    Dragon heart string does sound appropriate for Dumbledore...but come to think of it, it never actually says that he doesn't have a phoenix feather of fawkes' in his wand....though I doubt he does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shilling)
    Dragon heart string does sound appropriate for Dumbledore...but come to think of it, it never actually says that he doesn't have a phoenix feather of fawkes' in his wand....though I doubt he does.

It says that fawkes's feathers are only in two wands...voldie's and harry's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    Just a thought guys. I've just finished reading book 4 again and relised something.

Really good point. After all, it is clear why Fawkes would want Harry to have its feather in his wand because of his loyalty to Griffyndor.
    2 things I can think of. One, originally Tom Riddle was a model responsible student thats why the wand gave him that feather. Its only later he delved into the dark arts.
    Two, its more likely that Fawkes may have known the events in GoF would occur, and gave that feather for Voldie's wand to help Harry.

ReputationRep:
    It says that fawkes's feathers are only in two wands...voldie's and harry's.
    Oh yeah...oopsy *grin*

ReputationRep:

Right but remember its the wand who chooses the wizard. I think Slytherin and Gryffindor started to fight, which caused Slytherin to also go against the others.

Dude- You were right, Dumbeldore did teach Transfiguration. Isn't odd though how he never transfigures anying?

Ok, just finished book 2, and i picked out three things that i thought were either odd, or could have been the part JKR is talking about

1: Malfoy was sacked as a school Govenor at the end of book 2, so where did ge get off just marching up to the ministry and meeting with fudge? Also, what did he do for a job in books 3 and 4?
    2: Dumbledore says volde transferred SOME of his powers to harry when he failed to kill him. However the only one we have seen if parseltounge. Some doesn't mean 1. Other secret powers? I think this could be the clue.
    3:And the part that had been brought up, when Lucius says harry's parents were "meddlesome fools". Does the meddlesome refer to the being in the order or something else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    1: Malfoy was sacked as a school Govenor at the end of book 2, so where did ge get off just marching up to the ministry and meeting with fudge? Also, what did he do for a job in books 3 and 4?
    2: Dumbledore says volde transferred SOME of his powers to harry when he failed to kill him. However the only one we have seen if parseltounge. Some doesn't mean 1. Other secret powers? I think this could be the clue.
    3:And the part that had been brought up, when Lucius says harry's parents were "meddlesome fools". Does the meddlesome refer to the being in the order or something else?
    1. Bribery?
    2. True, you could be right. I'm not sure about what the other powers couldbe though.
    2. Maybe something happened between the malfoys, something personal. But then again, Malfoy has something against anyone good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parvati)
    Really good point. After all, it is clear why Fawkes would want Harry to have its feather in his wand because of his loyalty to Griffyndor.
    2 things I can think of. One, originally Tom Riddle was a model responsible student thats why the wand gave him that feather. Its only later he delved into the dark arts.
    Two, its more likely that Fawkes may have known the events in GoF would occur, and gave that feather for Voldie's wand to help Harry.
    I bet u the reason harry and fawks get along so much is because harry has the feather in his wand and they are kindof binded together in that way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lotrobsessed524)
    I bet u the reason harry and fawks get along so much is because harry has the feather in his wand and they are kindof binded together in that way
    I don't really believe that, cos Harry's and Voldie's wand both contain a feather from Fawkes' wand, and I don't see Fawkes getting along with Voldie.

ReputationRep:
    I find it so hard to belive that Tom Riddle, the guy who had conscience problems reporting Hagrid to get him expelled, kills people just for fun. Dumbledore always said he was the most brilliant student ever at hogwarts.

ReputationRep:
    I find it so hard to belive that Tom Riddle, the guy who had conscience problems reporting Hagrid to get him expelled, kills people just for fun. Dumbledore always said he was the most brilliant student ever at hogwarts.
    Maybe there was some sort of event which turned him so evil. I mean we know that he was an orphan etc. Is that the only thing which made him so evil?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Maybe there was some sort of event which turned him so evil. I mean we know that he was an orphan etc. Is that the only thing which made him so evil?
    Dumbledore said he travelled the world and fell so deeply into the Dark Arts, that when he came back people couldnt even tell it was him. Maybe he was a big supporter of Grindlewauld (sp?) and when he fell he wanted to carry on?

ReputationRep:
    Dumbledore said he travelled the world and fell so deeply into the Dark Arts, that when he came back people couldnt even tell it was him. Maybe he was a big supporter of Grindlewauld (sp?) and when he fell he wanted to carry on?
    Hmmm, I can't really see Voldie as a supporter of someone. I'd think that he'd rather people followed him than follow someone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Hmmm, I can't really see Voldie as a supporter of someone. I'd think that he'd rather people followed him than follow someone.
    Yeah but when he was just staring off and not powerful enough to do it alone, maybe grindlewald taught him some stuff?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Looking at it from the point of view of themes of love and hatred, Lily's love for her child saved and protected Harry. In the same way, Voldie's muggle father hated the wizarding world and hence his wife and child. That must be what drove Voldie to Evil. I bit simplistic I guess and a bit Star wars-like (anger-hate-suffering-dark side!).

A completely separate thought I have had is that do Voldie's supporters (e.g. the Malfoys, who rate pure bloodedness so highly) know that their leader is a mudblood? And if not, what would they do if they found out?

ReputationRep:
    Looking at it from the point of view of themes of love and hatred, Lily's love for her child saved and protected Harry. In the same way, Voldie's muggle father hated the wizarding world and hence his wife and child. That must be what drove Voldie to Evil. I bit simplistic I guess and a bit Star wars-like (anger-hate-suffering-dark side!).

A completely separate thought I have had is that do Voldie's supporters (e.g. the Malfoys, who rate pure bloodedness so highly) know that their leader is a mudblood? And if not, what would they do if they found out?
    Harry told them in one of the books, 4 or five i think. They just yelled silence at him.

ReputationRep:
    Harry told them in one of the books, 4 or five i think. They just yelled silence at him.
    I've completely forgotten that bit.
    I guess being a decendant of Salazar himself compensates.
    If Voldie is pure blooded on his mother's side though, he must be related to all the other wizarding families. Which is strange as then he would not be Slytherin's only remaining heir.

ReputationRep:

I don't know if I noticed this by reading between the lines or if it was actually said but he turned Hagrid in for two reasons. One is so that the school wouldn't be closed and he would have to go to the orphanage. Two he probably wanted an award.

ReputationRep:
    I've completely forgotten that bit.
    I guess being a decendant of Salazar himself compensates.
    If Voldie is pure blooded on his mother's side though, he must be related to all the other wizarding families. Which is strange as then he would not be Slytherin's only remaining heir.

Not if all of his ancestors were only children. The spoilt only child thing would fit nicely with voldie.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.