The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7620
moncal
I don't know if I noticed this by reading between the lines or if it was actually said but he turned Hagrid in for two reasons. One is so that the school wouldn't be closed and he would have to go to the orphanage. Two he probably wanted an award.

yeah it did say that, but he still had a hard time doing it.
Reply 7621
PadFoot90
yeah it did say that, but he still had a hard time doing it.

He was trying to convince Harry that he was the good guy. It was all an act. Remember he was the one who was actually causeing all the trouble in the first place.
Reply 7622
moncal
He was trying to convince Harry that he was the good guy. It was all an act. Remember he was the one who was actually causeing all the trouble in the first place.

Yeah, he tried to lure Harry into thinking that Harry was just like Voldie, and that Tom was the good guy in this whole thing.
moncal

Exactly, he wanted to frame someone else so nobody would suspect him- didn't he say (in the Chamber of Secrets, near the end) something like it was his word against Hagrid's, and everyone would believe him rather than an oaf that raised wolf cubs under his bed and was always in trouble. Once Hagrid had been expelled, he was off the hook completely.
Reply 7624
So what other powers could Harry have that volde gave him?

(Referring to post 7615)
Reply 7625
hey i can only stop in for a MIN just wanted to say hi and that the harry potter trailor was released (the full trailor) about a day or two ago. if i can get the web address back up ill try and post it. if not good luck finding it.

CR
PadFoot90
Dumbledore said he travelled the world and fell so deeply into the Dark Arts, that when he came back people couldnt even tell it was him. Maybe he was a big supporter of Grindlewauld (sp?) and when he fell he wanted to carry on?

That does make sense - can't believe I never thought of that....and it fits time-wise and everything :smile:
Reply 7627
CR3
hey i can only stop in for a MIN just wanted to say hi and that the harry potter trailor was released (the full trailor) about a day or two ago. if i can get the web address back up ill try and post it. if not good luck finding it.

CR

Hey, welcome back to the thread CR3! :smile: Thanks!
Reply 7628
PadFoot90

(Referring to post 7615)

Well i don't know about powers, but he gave Harry qualties remember. Things like "breaking the rules, determination. Remember.
Reply 7629
Dude
Well i don't know about powers, but he gave Harry qualties remember. Things like "breaking the rules, determination. Remember.

I don't think that Voldie "gave" him those qualities. He would have got that from hs parns, esecially from James (rule breaking!). He could have enhanced those qualiies, but they would have been in Hary fom the start.
Reply 7630
PadFoot90

(Referring to post 7615)

I was thinking, if Harry does defeat Voldie and kill him, would the powers he got from Voldie also go? E.g. will he still be a parseltongue afterwards? (Big assumption that Harry survives) :smile:
Reply 7631
parvati
I was thinking, if Harry does defeat Voldie and kill him, would the powers he got from Voldie also go? E.g. will he still be a parseltongue afterwards? (Big assumption that Harry survives) :smile:

I don't think that they would go. The powers were transferred to Harry. They aren't a link between Harry and Voldie.
Reply 7632
I'm sure his powers would stay- they are his now- not his by tapping through Vold- I'm sure the "others" are animagus, plus some funky spells-

going back a bit- I'm sure that a wand can't tell what a wizard will become, or no evil wizards would get wands- I'm sure they just sense power- and Voldie and Harry are both powerful- and I doubt Fawkes has any say in who gets his feathers-

also to note- the SORTING HAT is always a good key- its the one who said that Slytherin and Gryffindor were friends but Slytherin split off from them and went away- I'm still guessing something with this break is the reason for such crossovers in powers and looks with Voldie and Harry- maybe Slytherin and Gryffindor's kids married or maybe they were cousins- but the similarity in looks (also with James) is just too odd and brought up too often
Reply 7633
Brooklyn
also to note- the SORTING HAT is always a good key- its the one who said that Slytherin and Gryffindor were friends but Slytherin split off from them and went away- I'm still guessing something with this break is the reason for such crossovers in powers and looks with Voldie and Harry- maybe Slytherin and Gryffindor's kids married or maybe they were cousins- but the similarity in looks (also with James) is just too odd and brought up too often

It could be just a big coincidence that Harry and Voldemort share looks, but knowing JK it is something like that.
Reply 7634
Dude
It could be just a big coincidence that Harry and Voldemort share looks, but knowing JK it is something like that.

Yes it is mentioned several times how Tom and Harry (that leaves Dick doesn't it, but I digress with these random comments!) both look very similar except for Harry's green eyes. So once again the Lily factor, I wonder what so special about his eyes!
Reply 7635
Just don't forget that they also say Harry looks like James- so therefore- James looks like Voldie as well- I still think there is something way up with the founders about this.........
Reply 7636
A completely random thought...has it been mentioned anywhere what the ratio of wizarding folk to muggles is?

Another slightly off topic thing (from reading some of the early posts on this forum again) Has it been mentioned anywhere how the prophesies come to be recorded? Is it a magic process as per the Quill which detects all wizarding children to invite to Hogwarts? If that is the case, it would have known whether the prophesy was about Harry or Neville.
If the system relies on people reporting true prophesies then why did Dumbledore volunteer to record the prophesy knowing that Voldie would one day come looking for it?
Reply 7637
parvati
A completely random thought...has it been mentioned anywhere what the ratio of wizarding folk to muggles is?

Another slightly off topic thing (from reading some of the early posts on this forum again) Has it been mentioned anywhere how the prophesies come to be recorded? Is it a magic process as per the Quill which detects all wizarding children to invite to Hogwarts? If that is the case, it would have known whether the prophesy was about Harry or Neville.
If the system relies on people reporting true prophesies then why did Dumbledore volunteer to record the prophesy knowing that Voldie would one day come looking for it?

I think that dumbledore had to report it.
Reply 7638
moncal
I think that dumbledore had to report it.

yeah, and the ministry was of course on the good side, so there really wouldd be no reason not too report it.
Reply 7639
PadFoot90
yeah, and the ministry was of course on the good side, so there really wouldd be no reason not too report it.

Considering the sensitive nature of the prophesy and also that Voldie had already gained so many followers and power, on top of which didn't Dumbledore already suspect there was a spy among them, I'm surprised he did not hide the prophesy. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending