Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I can't remember but whether Harry reported the prophesy Trelawny gave him in PoA. Or maybe only the really significant prophesies are recorded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parvati)
    I can't remember but whether Harry reported the prophesy Trelawny gave him in PoA. Or maybe only the really significant prophesies are recorded.
    Harry told Dumbledore about the prophecy, so maybe he reported it.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, a lot to catch up on again, stupid computer not letting me on!

I think quite a few people missed the point with Tom Riddle, he set Hagrid up to take the attention away from him, he knew that he'd never be able to stay at Hogwarts without the person in question being caught so he set Hagrid up as the most likely person to be doing it. Also he was beginning to use the name Lord Voldemort with his closest "friends" (I say friends, but followers is probably a better word), which kind of goes against the theory that he ever followed anyone else.

Don't know how much truth is in this rumour, my housemate heard it on Radio 1's entertainment news on friday, but apparently John Malkovich is lined up to play Voldemort in GoF. Obviously he'll be computer generated for the bits before his rebirth. I think its quite a good choice, I wouldn't have thought of it myself, but I can see it now its been pointed out.

EDIT: Have just been on the ever faithful Newsround website and found this quote: "a Warner Bros spokesman has told Newsround there is "no truth whatsoever" in the rumours."

Had something else to say but can't remember it, guess I'll get back to that

ReputationRep:
    I think they are automatically recorded, but I don't think it would know who the prophecy is about- that would be added later- it can only record what the Seer says- I'm sure the other Trewlawny prophecy is in there somewhere- maybe they are sorted by time? what was the aisle number again? 97? isn't it 1996 in Harry Potter world? Maybe 1997 will be some significant year? could be fall of 97 (start of his 7th year) or am I off on the aisle number?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brooklyn)
    I think they are automatically recorded, but I don't think it would know who the prophecy is about- that would be added later- it can only record what the Seer says- I'm sure the other Trewlawny prophecy is in there somewhere- maybe they are sorted by time? what was the aisle number again? 97? isn't it 1996 in Harry Potter world? Maybe 1997 will be some significant year? could be fall of 97 (start of his 7th year) or am I off on the aisle number?
    Oo, I hadn't thought about the aisle number meaning anything. Good thoughts. I guess the prophesies would have to be ordered some how. But wouldn't Voldemort have known how the prophesies were ordered and would therefore know that that was hen it was going to come true. I'm kinda talking nonsense now, but I hope someone at least understands what I'm trying to say!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    Oo, I hadn't thought about the aisle number meaning anything. Good thoughts. I guess the prophesies would have to be ordered some how. But wouldn't Voldemort have known how the prophesies were ordered and would therefore know that that was hen it was going to come true. I'm kinda talking nonsense now, but I hope someone at least understands what I'm trying to say!
    I can understand where you are comig from.

ReputationRep:
    I have a thought everyone. Who do you think will join the Gyrinndor quidditch team in the next book. We are now without two beaters, three chasers ( i think) and a captain. Also, who will do the commertary since Lee Jorden has left as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    I have a thought everyone. Who do you think will join the Gyrinndor quidditch team in the next book. We are now without two beaters, three chasers ( i think) and a captain. Also, who will do the commertary since Lee Jorden has left as well.
    I'm guessing they'll keep they two beaters from before, have no idea what their names were. Ginny will be a chaser, and Katie Bell should still be there (it says somewhere in book 5, can't remember what or where though) so they'll only need to find one more seeker

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing they'll keep they two beaters from before, have no idea what their names were. Ginny will be a chaser, and Katie Bell should still be there (it says somewhere in book 5, can't remember what or where though) so they'll only need to find one more seeker
    Have you forgottern that Harry is the Gryffindor seeker. How could you forget a thing like that.

ReputationRep:
    You mean chaser- we're down one chaser if Kirke and Sloper stay on as beaters- maybe they'll go to Quidditch camp over the summer or something OR- maybe they'll be awful and Harry will have to battle bludgers all year-

I wonder what year Kirke and Sloper are? Anything about when they were sorted?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brooklyn)
    Just don't forget that they also say Harry looks like James- so therefore- James looks like Voldie as well- I still think there is something way up with the founders about this.........
    AN interesting theory

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    Have you forgottern that Harry is the Gryffindor seeker. How could you forget a thing like that.

He has a lifetime ban. In the past teachers have been reluctant to remove punishments. He did break a rule.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    He has a lifetime ban. In the past teachers have been reluctant to remove punishments. He did break a rule.
    Nah, I reckon that Dumbledore might have the final say to that. Harry needs Quidditch. It's the one thing he has which can keep him sane and occasionally calm him down and enable him to shut things out. The ban must be lifted in order to help Harry. Plus, remember, this ban was imposed by a person everyone hated, and was undeserved. No way will McGonnagal stand for the continuation of the ban.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Nah, I reckon that Dumbledore might have the final say to that. Harry needs Quidditch. It's the one thing he has which can keep him sane and occasionally calm him down and enable him to shut things out. The ban must be lifted in order to help Harry. Plus, remember, this ban was imposed by a person everyone hated, and was undeserved. No way will McGonnagal stand for the continuation of the ban.

I agree but, he would be undermining other teacher's authority.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    I agree but, he would be undermining other teacher's authority.
    That other teache deserved to have her authority undermined. Besides, I don't think she'll be in much of a position to complain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    That other teache deserved to have her authority undermined. Besides, I don't think she'll be in much of a position to complain.
    Yeah, no one liked umbridge, so they should have no problem getting rid of his ban.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    I thought that one was obvious! Anyway, Harry has to be able to play quidditch again, he's gotta be captain. I reckon the other teachers with just decided that a seasons ban was a harsh enough punishment, I can't imagine many of Umbridges rules will still be in use once she's gone

ReputationRep:
    Harry will play for Gryffindor again - it's a good sub-plot to the story.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Harry will play for Gryffindor again - it's a good sub-plot to the story.
    Exactly, and I know I for one would be very upset if Harry never got to play quidditch again. He needs to be made captain to show that Dumbledore still had faith in him

ReputationRep:
    Exactly, and I know I for one would be very upset if Harry never got to play quidditch again. He needs to be made captain to show that Dumbledore still had faith in him
    I don't think he'll be made captain. Remember that Dumbledore didn't make him prefect cos he thought he had enough going on in his life at the moment. So being captain of a quidditch team is just the same.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.