Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    I'm struggling to remember something. I can't remember if it has said in any of the books whether Lupin, Sirius, James and Wormtail were all in Gryffindor. I mean I always assumed that they were all in the same house, but has it been mentioned in any of the books?
    Now you come to mention it I'm not sure it says. You just assume they were.

how come James was Headboy tho when he wasn't a prefect? I just assumed Dumbledore would pick one of the prefects for the job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    Now you come to mention it I'm not sure it says. You just assume they were.

how come James was Headboy tho when he wasn't a prefect? I just assumed Dumbledore would pick one of the prefects for the job.
    He must have grown up after his 5th year - maybe when he stated going out with Lily? Or maybe there is a similar reason to why Harry was never made prefect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loftx)
    He must have grown up after his 5th year - maybe when he stated going out with Lily? Or maybe there is a similar reason to why Harry was never made prefect.
    I don't know, but Harry has got to be quidditch captain before he leaves. I was well upset when he didn't get it in his fifth year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lavender)
    I dont think wormtail will save harry's life, that would be too heroic, the slimey little coward will get his in the end and I would cheer that!!
    he owes a life debt to harry...he has to do somehting to save harry from being killed

CR

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    I don't know, but Harry has got to be quidditch captain before he leaves. I was well upset when he didn't get it in his fifth year.
    i know right...i love quiditch and JKR just keeps drifting further and further away from it...also about james...maybe he did something after his 5th year as in saving a life(wow so many people saving eachothers lives) that made him worthy of head boy

CR

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CR3)
    i know right...i love quiditch and JKR just keeps drifting further and further away from it...also about james...maybe he did something after his 5th year as in saving a life(wow so many people saving eachothers lives) that made him worthy of head boy

CR
    Dunno, guess its possible, didn't they become Animagi in they're 5th year, so he would've saved Snapes life after that.

I'm quite glad I don't go to Hogwarts, it seems a very dangerous place to be!

ReputationRep:
    Just because wormtail owes a life debt to harry doesnt mean he'll do it. Im sure it will probably be worked in somehow but I dont think it will be as significant a sacrifice, only because, what do we care what he does, even if he did jump in front a curse to kill harry I wouldnt feel any better about him, why didnt he try and save his life at the end of book 4?

4 is definately my favorite and I like the ending of 5 really well too because everyone that thought harry was lying or a joke has to eat crow!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think Wormtail would have much choice whether or not he repaid his debt. I reckon it'd involve some ancient magic (like the protection Harry gets from his mothers sacrifice). I think its going to be something Voldemort's overlooked as well. I think Voltemort's too power hungry to remember little details like that. Also, does Voldemot know Harry saved Wormtail's life?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lavender)
    Just because wormtail owes a life debt to harry doesnt mean he'll do it. Im sure it will probably be worked in somehow but I dont think it will be as significant a sacrifice, only because, what do we care what he does, even if he did jump in front a curse to kill harry I wouldnt feel any better about him, why didnt he try and save his life at the end of book 4?
    i didn't say anything about feeling better about him..i was just saying that..he owes his life to harry and their is a bond/connection peter will do something to help out harry whether we think highly of him after or not

CR

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CR3)
    i didn't say anything about feeling better about him..i was just saying that..he owes his life to harry and their is a bond/connection peter will do something to help out harry whether we think highly of him after or not

CR
    I wonder how Harry would feel if the person who ruined his life ended up saving his life?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    I wonder how Harry would feel if the person who ruined his life ended up saving his life?
    well i guess not enough becuase he let peter live when he had a chance to kill him

CR

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    You know what, why couldn't the Ministry of Magic just have used Priori Incantum to see if Sirius Black had cast the curse which killed so many people when Wormtail did? Surely that would have proved Sirius' innocence!
    There have been so many occasions when the use of Veritaserum could have made things so much simpler- and cleared innocent/condemed guilty of crimes etc...But I suppose I'm thinking in literal situations...probably wouldn't be much of a story left if the truth could be so easily discerned...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    There have been so many occasions when the use of Veritaserum could have made things so much simpler- and cleared innocent/condemed guilty of crimes etc...But I suppose I'm thinking in literal situations...probably wouldn't be much of a story left if the truth could be so easily discerned...
    I think that the ministry of magic were idiots, whose judgements were clouded by the want to arrest people so that they would look good or something. Something inside me tells me that they wanted the people wanted the accused to be guilty, and so would not risk trying anything that might change their minds.
    Basically, the ministry of magic is a mindless, and ignorant idiot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    It would have been better to use Veritaserum but then the stories wouldn't be as juicy as they are.

I just finished watching the movie "Along Came A Spider" and it made me think that a really good twist to the books would be if Dumbledore or some of the people in the order were really against Harry. I know it seems crazy but in the movie i just watched, the person that you thought was good really turns out to be with the bad guys. I just thought it would be a really interesting twist. Like maybe some people in the order act like they are on Harry's side when around him but are really working for the other side. Then later, we discover that they were on Harry's side all along and pretended to be with the other side so that they could get some information of what they were planning to do.

Does that make any sense to you? I hope that i'm not being too confusing. Well, what do you guys (and girls) think?

ReputationRep:
    Ok folks...

I don't remember when we were talking about it, but I just got to it in the book (I've been reading book one very slowly trying to make sure I get everything). Anyhow, remember when we were talking about harry looking at snape that first night at dinner? And it was determined that harry looked through (past) the turban at snape and his scar hurt? Actually, what happened is snape looked through the turban at harry. So, basically, harry was looking toward the turban when snape looked at him. Also, and I think this was something I really didn't notice the first time around, that same night, when harry went to bed, he had a dream that the turban was talking to him. It was trying to tell him that he should be in slytherin. Yadda yadda. And then he woke up right after he saw the green flash of light. Nice foreshadowing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peter The Great)
    Ok folks...

I don't remember when we were talking about it, but I just got to it in the book (I've been reading book one very slowly trying to make sure I get everything). Anyhow, remember when we were talking about harry looking at snape that first night at dinner? And it was determined that harry looked through (past) the turban at snape and his scar hurt? Actually, what happened is snape looked through the turban at harry. So, basically, harry was looking toward the turban when snape looked at him. Also, and I think this was something I really didn't notice the first time around, that same night, when harry went to bed, he had a dream that the turban was talking to him. It was trying to tell him that he should be in slytherin. Yadda yadda. And then he woke up right after he saw the green flash of light. Nice foreshadowing!
    thats what i was saying...but i don't know who it was said that i was wrong and he was look next to it...but i knew all along he was looking through the turban YYYEESS!!

CR

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peter The Great)
    Ok folks...

Hmmmmm, interesting, so Harry was given a little clue, but didn't really realise what it meant. I wonder, if you had the choice of taking occulumency lessons with your worst teacher in order to prevent Voldie from controlling your thoughts, or not taking the lessons, because you feel that you might be able to foresee any killings and therefore try and stop them, what would you choose. I hope that Harry, for his and every else's sake chooses to take the occulumency lessons, and that he somehow could control Voldie's thought.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Hmmmmm, interesting, so Harry was given a little clue, but didn't really realise what it meant. I wonder, if you had the choice of taking occulumency lessons with your worst teacher in order to prevent Voldie from controlling your thoughts, or not taking the lessons, because you feel that you might be able to foresee any killings and therefore try and stop them, what would you choose. I hope that Harry, for his and every else's sake chooses to take the occulumency lessons, and that he somehow could control Voldie's thought.
    yea...the thing is..he doesn't understand that he probably could see killings while controling voldies mind(by taking occlumency)but...he thinks that if he closes his mind from voldie(by taking occlumency) then he won't be able to understand that...he doesn't understand!!!!

CR

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CR3)
    yea...the thing is..he doesn't understand that he probably could see killings while controling voldies mind(by taking occlumency)but...he thinks that if he closes his mind from voldie(by taking occlumency) then he won't be able to understand that...he doesn't understand!!!!

CR

So why doesn't Dumbledore fully tell Harry what he can do if he learns occulumency? It's half his fault. Harry doesn't know that doing Occulumency is an advantage not a disadvantage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    So why doesn't Dumbledore fully tell Harry what he can do if he learns occulumency? It's half his fault. Harry doesn't know that doing Occulumency is an advantage not a disadvantage.
    i know..as we all know..this is mostly dumbledores fault...but harry also has to learn not to be so stubborn

CR

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.